The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Ty Lee Application Thread

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 7, 2010 22:22:36 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
The prior accepted Ty Lee application is located HERE. Whilst we don't expect to get an exact replication, we would like to see at the very least a similar depiction. In addition to the standard Canon application rules, please include the following:

1. Ty Lee's Aura Sight :: The Ty Lee player prior to me (Fu-Ling), had given her a "Aura Sight". In my post, you can see examples of the colours she used, and for what emotions/types of auras. Any colour not mentioned, feel free to make up.

2. Ty Lee's AU Exploits :: Ty Lee has encountered the gAang twice, and the Galgori Hunt twice. The gAang encounters included the capture of Zuko, Karena, and Aang, as well as the three-way battle between Ozai's Angels, the gAang, and the Hunt. The Hunt encounters include the infiltration of Ba Sing Se, and the three-way battle. She has also fought an oldish [think Iroh's age] somewhat pervy earthbender named Beshimi.

3. Ty Lee's Romances :: She has a major crush on Sokka, that will never come to fruition, though Sokka is flattered.

4. Ty Lee Now :: With the other two members of Ozai's Angels [Azula & Mai], Ty Lee is in the Fire Nation Capital, specifically the Palace, awaiting the gAang's inevitable attack.

Ty Lee's developed personality :: Ty Lee's personality and character development are pretty much the same as in-show, with the exception, again, of her Aura-sight.

I know this is a lot of information, but we'd like to see up-to-date applications for this character. Ty Lee's posting colour is dark pink (8B3A3A) when in-character, though not required for this sample.

Please remember that the above requirements are in addition to normal canon application & profile rules, and should be written to have Ty Lee's "voice", not just as another piece of writing.

TIMEEDIT: Yuna has left unexpectedly, and without warning. As such, we need another player, so this thread has been reopened.

Best of Luck!
remember, you need 3 Core Staff stamps to be accepted!
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jul 31, 2010 14:52:37 GMT -6
kaitokatashi
Jun 9, 2010 16:05:14 GMT -6

Post by kaitokatashi on Jun 9, 2010 16:05:14 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
“White…red…orange…yellow…green…blue…purple…red!” Beads slid down a string as if it was coated in grease and clacked together as they settled down to form an echelon of colors, and the young girl’s fingers dropped them into, what seemed to her was, a perfect sequence of colors. A few more slid down and joined their brothers and sisters, none of the same two colors next to each other; she absolutely hated that.

Ty Lee’s cinnamon eyes, perfectly matching her braided hair, twinkled as her fingers nimbly tied the loose ends of the string together, making the beaded loop big enough to slip over her wrist. The beads glinted in the lamplight of her room at the Royal Palace, sending small, faint bursts of color all over every time the soft glow hit them just right. Colors, colors everywhere, just like her life. Everyone had a color, even if they didn’t know it. She giggled as her fingers toyed with the beads, each color reminding her of someone different in her life.

While most people found it strange or funny that she could see the colors that surrounded everyone, but she found it strange and funny that they couldn’t. A person’s aura told everything about them, even if the person was a liar…much like Azula. Hers almost never changed, but what puzzled Ty Lee the most was why the Princess’ was the same color as someone who was completely at peace: blue. Sure, Azula used blue fire when she bent, but she was so calculating and…well, there was no other word for it…evil that a murky shade of dark gray or deep, burning red would suit her more. She looked pensively upward as she fiddled with the blue beads on her new bracelet, trying to figure out the reason for this; her face lit up as she realized that, despite the fact that the Princess was so horribly twisted that it scared her, Azula was cold, emotionless, hence the blue fire. It made sense! Her friend’s aura had been blue as long as she could remember and it had never changed, even when Azula got jealous and did things like push her into a pond for doing a better handstand, even though the Princess was good at so many other things. The one thing she was never able to understand was why Azula didn’t understand her need to show off. Didn’t Azula realize that she needed to show off, to prove that she was different than her six sisters who looked exactly like her? No, Azula wouldn’t understand that, not even if it was explained to her face. The Princess only saw Ty Lee’s antics as an attempt to show her up.

The people at the Circus, on the other hand, didn’t. They saw her as one of the best acrobats there, and the audience applauded every time she did something that seemed impossible. She wasn’t Ty Lee, one in a set of seven, there; she was Ty Lee, the star acrobat.

She laughed out loud again as she looked down at her bracelet to realize that Mai’s color wouldn’t be on her bracelet; no, all the beads were too brightly-colored for that. From what she’d seen in the palace kitchens, Mai was the color of dirty dishwater, a murky gray-brown. While the color of the water was almost disgusting, it seemed to suit her other friend very well; it almost seemed beautiful. Mai’s disposition bled through to her aura, and if anyone that knew her could see auras too, they’d agree. Mai was just bored by everything, even if they were going up against the Avatar and his friends…and the people hunting him.

Oh, that fight had been fun! People always seemed so surprised when she was able to knock them down or stop them from bending with a few jabs to select pressure points, but they didn’t realize how easy it was to do when you could see their auras. A lot of people she’d fought didn’t like her because of that, but it was all in good fun, right? Besides, it’s not like she disliked anyone she fought…

…especially Sokka. She blushed slightly when she realized that she’d put more orange beads on her bracelet than any other color, and that’s what he’d been: orange, like the brightly-colored koi in the palace pond. Of all the orange people she knew, his aura had been the brightest. From what she knew of him, he was very dedicated and loyal to his friends, passionate towards anything he did, and just a tad immature. It was a shame he had to be friends with the one person the Princess wanted to eliminate more than anyone else in the world.

As a matter of fact, all of Sokka’s friends had bright auras. Yellow for the Avatar, red for the Waterbending girl; they made sense. He was very mature for his age and at peace among all four elements, and she was overly full of love for the people she cared about. Personally, she didn’t understand why they had to fight, but Azula gave the orders and Ty Lee was never going to disobey the Princess again; still, trying out every battle technique she knew was fun.

She looked up as her room door opened, revealing the Princess with her ever present blue hue; she smiled brightly and held up her wrist. “Look what I made!”

Azula’s eyes narrowed, though her aura did not waver, and made a beckoning motion before turning around and walking away. Ty Lee’s smile relaxed when she realized that the Princess probably had some important news regarding the Avatar. Her body bent fluidly as her hands touched down on the ground, taking all of her weight as her feet lifted into the air; the beads on her bracelet clacked together slightly as she effortlessly walked out of the room on her hands. Azula might not like it, and Mai would find it boring, but she was the only one out of the three of them that could do it that well. Her smile widened again as she made her way down the hallway, thinking about other people she knew that would fit the colors on her bracelet.
This user is a guest
Last edit by kaitokatashi: Jun 9, 2010 23:47:31 GMT -6

Post by Gia on Jun 9, 2010 17:48:08 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Thank you, Haru! Once we get some more applications, we'll give our opinions on it. :) Thanks again.
This user is Mod

Post by Gia on Jul 7, 2010 23:09:20 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
As I said in the Toph Application thread, we are not closing the apps. ANYONE is free to apply. I am only responding to the current app, as Toph/Kami and I feel it's time we did.

Haru - Your app is good, and I am not going to say that it's not. However, I did feel that it concentrated too much on the auras and colors, instead of just using "[Insert Name Here]'s aura was [insert color here] and leaving at that, using that line to go into how Ty Lee felt about the person, and you did that, but there was a lot about colors in it, too, and it weighted down your post. Also, I simply do not think that you are at the level we need you to be at. I've been watching your posts, and... It's not where we need you to be. I'm sorry, but your app is DENIED.
This user is Mod
yuna
Jul 12, 2010 11:58:03 GMT -6

Post by yuna on Jul 12, 2010 11:58:03 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
What a happy baby, the acrobat thought as she watched little Nikuro play with the end of her long sepia braid. "And to think he's the product of two banished traitors." Giggling she watched him place her hair in his mouth, but before he had the chance to bite down on it, she swooped him up in her slender arms and gently tickled his tummy. He was a cute thing even though Zuko was his father. "But you're not a sour puss like him are you? Are you little Nikuro?" Again she tickled his tummy hoping to place a small smile on his dimpled face, but as of late he was resisting the urge to smile. Ty Lee didn't blame the poor dear, he was after all miles away from his mother and father. Ty Lee couldn't tell if he truly missed them or not, not because he rarely ever smiled with her but because his aura was a bright, steady orange. Happy, fun, content. Just like Sokka! She wondered what he was doing now. Maybe he was already on his way here! Their last two encounters hadn't ended quite so well, especially with the capture and the Hunt and all. The bubbly fourteen year-old was sure that Azula would have her head if she knew that she was still thinking about the goofy water tribe warrior. Sometimes it was hard to remember that she was loyal to one person and one person only.

As a child, Ty Lee always knew who was in command and that of course was the girl with pale, blue aura. Azula always seemed to remind Ty Lee of ice. She was just cold, even to the touch and with so much ambition and drive you'd think that she'd have just a tinge of red on her, but no. There was nothing pink or red about her. I'm sure I've seen some pink on her, the cocoa eyed girl thought, I'm, sure something's made her happy even in the eenciest of ways. Of course she wasn't as happy as the circus performer, but even her happiness had taken a lifetime to create and most of it she felt out of fear more so when she was in the Princess's presence. Having been part of a matching set with her six other sisters, excuse... six other zombies, Ty Lee knew she could have never settled with being just like them even if her noble bred parents wanted it that way. Man did she hate the thought of being cooped up with those aura-less beings. It was icky to think of and it was a very sensitive subject of hers, one she disliked venturing into.

She stopped for a moment beside one of the palaces' pond to watch the fish and turtle ducks. Ty Lee like animals very much. The circus probably had a little something to do with that and although the teenager couldn't see their auras, she was sure that they were there. It was a little weird she admitted, to see people in their-no pun intended- true colors, but the brown-haired girl counted it as nothing less than a blessing. So what? People could describe themselves in words right? Fat, skinny, air-headed, blunt. Ty Lee just used colors. Brown, yellow, red, gray. It was as natural to her as breathing was to the little bundle that slept in her gentle grasp. She watched him for a moment the same way she watched the koi fish in the pond. Ty Lee's eyes were genuine and kind even though her mind was troubled. She was still doubting some things she had done in her past, but she was sure that she had made the right decision to leave the circus and join Azula on her quest to capture the Avatar. What other choice did she have? It was either that or live in even more fear! "That doesn't sound like fun," she whispered to Nikuro as he nestled himself closer to her heart, "but at least you don't have to worry about those things." With her faint pink hue, the girl moved closer to the pond and sat herself down, crossed legged with the baby securely in her lap. Cocking her head to one side she wondered if she had just heard Mai calling her name.

Oh Mai, her mind sighed. What a boring display of brown-gray. Things always seemed to consume the girl; her father, Zuko even Azula, but no matter what she always remained stoic even if something really got on her nerves. Mai was always just one, big, bored blob. At least Azula got excited over little things. Nothing ever excited Mai. "It's not good for her appearance," she told the little kidnapped baby, "she'll most likely develop wrinkles soon. Eww." But these were her friends, her best friend and although she treated one more as an enemy than a friend, Ty Lee knew that she could never betray them. She loved them more than she loved her infuriating sisters and even more than her uncaring parents. They were Ozai's Angels. She looked around her, at the palace walls that separated her from the outside world and she knew that here, in the presence of her friends, she actually belonged. "Oh what a bright sun," she muttered as she shielded her wide eyes from its harsh rays. "I wonder what's taking Azula so long? What did she want to talk to her father about again?" And where the heck was Mai? Probably slouching on some extravagant couch, tainting it with her icky colors.

Before getting up, Ty Lee took one last look at the baby before thinking: What if he's a bender? If he didn't turn out to be one, she was sure that she could teach him how to be a chi blocker, like herself, but this wasn't the time to be thinking about those sort of questions. She needed to find her friends. She wanted to know what the heck was going on between Azula and her father. She also needed to change Nikuro; he smelled like poo. "Eww."
This user is a guest
Last edit by kaitokatashi: Jul 12, 2010 12:36:55 GMT -6
ailin
Jul 13, 2010 20:14:57 GMT -6

Post by ailin on Jul 13, 2010 20:14:57 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Okay, I have looked over both applications and they're both good. However, Haru, overall I feel that yours was a bit more by-the-numbers. It covers the essentials of Ty Lee, but lacked a certain connection to her personally. I don't know. It's a bit hard to explain. I just didn't quite get the feeling of Ty Lee in your post, even though it was written well.

Karena Edit: Yuna approval removed, due to her deleting her own account.
This user is a guest
Last edit: Jul 31, 2010 14:47:37 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 13, 2010 20:33:39 GMT -6

Haru/Kai - I'm not going to say that it was terrible, because it wasn't; not, at least, as a stand alone piece of writing. That said, I feel it was very . . . hm. The best way I could explain it is that it was very paint-by-number. You filled in all the little bubbles with the appropriate colour (no pun intended), but there was nothing that brought the sample to life. Also, whilst I appreciate the incorporation of her aura-sight, I felt that you concentrated too much on it and the bracelet, thereby loosing a lot of the focus of the sample. I also have to bring up, unfortunately, your somewhat lacking canon postings as of late. I know you don't want to hear about it, but the fact is that it's happening. I understand you're working to get better with your current canons, and that's great — but, Ty Lee is too much of a main character for us to be able to afford any lapses. You brought forth a decent sample in terms of technical merit, but not only did it not have the Ty Lee feel, it also seems (to me) to be a false representation of what you are willing to put forth on a day-to-day basis as a canon player. Because of this, I'm afraid I, too, have to deny you application.

Karena Edit: Yuna approval removed as she has deleting her own account.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jul 31, 2010 14:48:39 GMT -6

Post by Gia on Jul 31, 2010 14:49:11 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Since Yuna has deleted her own account for reasons unknown, we need another Ty Lee - again. :)

Remember, if you're interested, please say so here first so we know to expect your app.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jul 31, 2010 14:53:04 GMT -6
ayumi
Aug 10, 2010 12:01:12 GMT -6

Post by ayumi on Aug 10, 2010 12:01:12 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
What a glorious, wondrous, splendid feeling of euphoria that filled her young body! The body of Ty Lee! The moon above her, the cool breeze that kissed her perfectly smooth skin and ruffled her light clothing of both pink and dark pink, and the earth far below her. The outfit that clothed the acrobat, fitted almost perfectly to her slender, yet curvy form, but allowing for more than free movement and showing off her belly button. The clamoring noises of the crowd below her drifted to her ears. She loved that sound! How lucky someone just had left this wire suspended up so high. It must have been left for a reason, but for what, the contortionist had no idea and cared even less. The daughter of a noble family. She always tried to stand out. Why not? After all, she had to live with SIX sisters who were all as pretty as she was, the same child-like and happy face was a fact they all shared! That's enough to make anyone want to stand out. Stand out she did, and she proved it as she did such a graceful performance above the air. She found herself balancing perfectly on a single hand in the air, the crowd bellowing their appropriate cheers. She was so talented and she giggled happily at the thought that she was loved so much!

She gazed down at her adoring audience, they were all Fire Nation, owing largely to the fact they all had followed their fearless leader, Azula, back to the Fire Nation Capital to wait for the Avatar and his friends. She couldn't help but feel as a bubbly sort of smile broke out upon her face while she thought of the boy with the pony-tail. She couldn't wait to have another dance with him. He was, after all, only too cute! But the cheer of the audience brought her mind back to its proper place and another giggle escaped her lips to grace them as she looked down and gave an enthusiastic wave, proving she had no fear there would be any chance to fall. They were all surrounded in such bright and vibrant color. PURPLE! She loved that color! It was so close to the color of true happiness, pink! Purple was awe in their aura when they viewed her. Something she rarely got from her home life. Life, itself, could be so boring since the return of the Avatar, following around. Doing this and doing that all to help Azula. She could be so mean but she was fun nonetheless. It had always been that way ever since they were little girls in the Royal Fire Academy for Girls.

Her mind raced as she listened, her body now twisted as if made of rubber and for a fleeting moment, the girl contorted her figure into what seemed to take the form of a tea cup. 'Hm. Tea sounds good right now,' she thought privately to herself, then her mind began to wonder if she could get some after. However, a professional such as herself, knows the one solid truth and that was the show must go on. Tea could come later. Now her feet touched the rope beneath her and she allowed her toes to dance merrily in a rhythmic fashion. The acrobat stood upwards and stretched her arms outwards. Now for the spectacular finish. She knew if she was gone too long she'd certainly hear it from Azula. With a stance that made sure everyone knew their performer was prepared, she let loose! The wind fell against her skin as her body twisted in mid-air. First her hand touched the wire and then her foot and then her hand again, each time accompanied by a flair she just had to throw in for her own amusement. Finally she reached the wall and pressed her right foot firmly against it and shot off towards the opposing wall and hit it with her left foot. So she then followed the pattern in a fashion of zig-zag until she landed upon the ground. The people roared in amazement! The fluctuating purple auras were so pretty and the sound of awe and applause that filled her ears gave her such joy!

She bowed, as any good performer must do, and waved a cheerful good-bye. A back flip and yet another and then the fourteen year old girl switched her style into cartwheeling away, her hands and feet only softly touching the stone ground beneath her. Very soon her audience was soon quickly disappeared before her sight. The sandy-eyed teenager then shifted her direction in a graceful turn and disappeared behind a corner, landing with a grace befitting her status and smiled almost with a sort of giddiness. She had proved how pretty and talented she was above all others yet again. She had every right to be happy. But now her thoughts began to dwell on her destination and her friends. She was part of Ozai's Angels, or so they were dubbed. True, they were more than pretty enough. But their auras were so different from each other. Azula, with her dark, icy blue aura. The fire princess was cold as ice and brutal as a demon in combat. She felt both terrified and inspired by her. Mai always seemed to carry a fuzzy gray around her, it matched her depressing personality perfectly. They had always been like that. 'Well,' she thought, 'there is a pinkish hue around Mai when she sees Zuko! That must mean something!'.

Finally! The palace! As big as wonderful as life itself! Still, sometimes she did miss her life in the circus. The fact that her aura seemed to be dulling in a less than pink fashion worried her, but she knew she had more important things at hand. The sandy-eyed acrobat walked through the doors and into the palace. "Azula?" She inquired loudly. "Mai?" But she recieved no answer. How boring it all was to her. She knew what to do, however. Get the tea! She followed her nose to the kitchens, viewing the auras of the surrounding people who bowed to beautiful girl. She was important, after all. As she followed this course carefully, the teenage-girl began to reminisce about the new life she had found since the departure from the life of stardom in the Fire Nation circus. The fights since the return of the Avatar, and even with him and his friends. Then there was the impressive way Azula handled the Dai Li and
those strange Galgori people. It was odd that after all that, even the nearly single handed capture of Ba Sing Se under Azula that they were still without the Avatar. She was hardly the type to get involved with such serious people, they bored her too easily, but she followed Azula and that was all that mattered. The past, however, didn't matter. Not even having fought that creepy old Earth Bender mattered. Ty Lee couldn't even remember his name anymore. The girl with the cinnamon hair didn't care much though. The kitchen was in view and she could already taste the sweet liquid upon her lips.
This user is a guest

Post by Gia on Aug 10, 2010 18:29:22 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ayumi - I know from what you told me how hard you worked on this post. Honestly, I wasn't sure what to think when you told me you were going to apply for Ty Lee. However, I respect a lot the fact that you put so much work into this. Not many people do who apply, and you know what? It shows. It really does show in this post how much effort you put into it. As for your portrayal, I feel you did pretty well. Ty Lee is a very excited person, and you did a good job of capturing that. However, I did feel that it was a little too excited, as there's a lot of !'s in your post. You went a little over the top. Also, there's one thing:

What a glorious, wondrous, splendid feeling of euphoria that filled her young body! The body of Ty Lee! <—- the second sentence is completely unnecessary, as no one talks like that. It would be better if you'd said "filled Ty Lee's young body" or put Ty Lee's name in the next sentence.

Other than that, I think if you worked on being a bit more concise, yet still descriptive you'd be great. As long as you work on that:

Two more stamps and she's yours. :)
This user is Mod
Last edit: Aug 10, 2010 18:30:38 GMT -6
ailin
Aug 11, 2010 23:27:38 GMT -6

Post by ailin on Aug 11, 2010 23:27:38 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I have to echo what Karena said here. You have a definite grasp of Ty Lee's essential happy-go-lucky attitude, enthusiasm and showmanship but went a little over the top with her enthusiasm in certain places. Overall, though, you are descriptive and capture what makes the character who she is. That's the most important part. So, because of that I'm giving you my stamp too.

This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Aug 12, 2010 3:10:19 GMT -6

I guess it's my turn! :3

Karena and Ai Lin both have said my thoughts; whilst you were a bit over-the-top with your descriptions at times, and some things were a bit redundant ('...her body! The body of Ty Lee!' <— No one thinks like that, honey! and 'outfit of pink and dark pink' could've been condensed to 'her outfit of light and dark pink', etc), you definitely captured the essence of Ty Lee. Ultimately, that is what is important. Just a bit of a note, I noticed a lot of "she" and "her" in your sample - I'm not saying to overdo it or eliminate those words entirely, but there are more creative ways to describe your character, and to start a sentence. Keep that in mind. =]

With the condition that you work on being more concise (description is great, but if it's unnecessary detail don't include it), I too award this:

[kaorustamp]

I also have to add, you worked hard on this, and that impressed me beyond belief. You took the time to ask questions, to learn how Ty Lee has evolved on TARP. That amount of dedication is also part of what we look for in a canon player, and you did that wonderfully. Once you've seen this thread, let me know via PM, and I'll move it into the accepted applications board. Welcome to the canon team!
This user is Mod