The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

A Few Questions

kagelord
Jun 6, 2010 10:54:50 GMT -6

Post by kagelord on Jun 6, 2010 10:54:50 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
So, I just have a few simple (mostly) questions:

1. At the time of the RP, how many years has Ozai been Fire Lord?

2. Are we allowed to create a relatively low-ranking officer in the Fire Nation Military (i.e. Captain, Commander, or Colonel)? If yes, what about a high-ranking one (General)?

3. Would it be acceptable for my character to have seen Ozai commit some sort of really cruel act (burning Earth Nation women and children to death or something) when he was younger?

Basically, I'm thinking about trying to create a character for the Fire Nation Resistance that, as a soldier, witnessed Ozai commit some horrible act and vowed to himself to do whatever he could to stop him. If allowed, he would have risen through the ranks to become an officer. And if the FNR still needs it, he could be one of the other founding members (along with Makino).
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 6, 2010 11:53:39 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
1. Well, however long Ozai has been on the throne in the show is how long he has been here. ;] timeline wise, we're pretty canon, but not completely.

2. It would really depend on a lot of factors - your character's age, military experience, a plausible backstory, etc. The highest you could go would be Colonel, if I recall correctly, but again that would be completely dependent on those other factors. High ranking officials are a no-no, as outlined in the chaacter FAQ.

3. Ozai himself? Probably not. You forget, Ozai is the Fire Lord, and doesn't really leave the palace for any reason. If you recall the show, the first time we see him outside of the capital city is at the very end, where he has decided to become the Phoenix King. Generally any low-scale atrocities, even one as despicable as that, wouldn't have been a direct order from Ozai, but rather the people "on the ground" so to speak, that run the day-to-day operation. Ozai has bigger fish to fry than worry about what happens to a handful of people.

As for your plan, again, it would really depend on backstory, but I'm leaning more towards that it wouldn't have been Ozai he would've witnessed. As far as the FNR, you'd have to ask Karena. =]
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 6, 2010 11:54:42 GMT -6
takeshishuhan
Jun 6, 2010 13:30:29 GMT -6

Post by takeshishuhan on Jun 6, 2010 13:30:29 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I thought that the rank of Colonel was one away from general?
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 6, 2010 13:33:18 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
takeshishuhan Avatar
Jun 6, 2010 13:30:29 GMT -6 @takeshishuhan said:
I thought that the rank of Colonel was one away from general?

Nope. We're using US Army/Navy ranks, and Colonel is actually four ranks below general. A general is, in the army, an 0-10 pay grade, and the highest you can achieve outside of wartime. Colonel is an 0-6 pay grade.
This user is Mod

Post by Gia on Jun 7, 2010 16:43:08 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
If you'd want to be one of the founding members, first of all, I'd keep him closer to Makino's age or older. Someone younger would be a tad bit of a stretch, at least if more than a few years or so. Personally - and this is just advice - I would maybe think that either he started to disagree with Ozai, and maybe noticed the sort of brainwashing that we saw in that one episode when Aang went to a FN School. Makino didn't think about creating it after his daughter was banished with Zuko, so that was 3 years ago... perhaps they're old friends, and Makino knew he could trust him, so let him in on what he was planning?

If you have anything else related to this that you'd like to ask/talk about, then please PM me. I can pass along all information to Kanea - who plays Makino - as we're roomates.
This user is Mod
kagelord
Jun 7, 2010 23:18:30 GMT -6

Post by kagelord on Jun 7, 2010 23:18:30 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
That's fantastic, Karena. :)

I had planned on having him be close to Makino's age, but I had not intended for them to be old friends. It does make a lot of sense though, and it would be a convenient way to work it out. Thanks for the idea. ;)
This user is a guest

Post by Gia on Jun 7, 2010 23:22:58 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Well, you don't have to, but I just figured that they had to know each other somehow right... If you don't want to, maybe they were in the same brigage or platoon or something when he was in the military, and kept in contact after he was forced to retire? *shrugs* If you do like that idea, works for me. I'll let Kanea know in the morning. :)
This user is Mod