The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

What Are You Studying?

Anonymous
Jan 13, 2010 19:38:40 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 13, 2010 19:38:40 GMT -6

It occurs to me as the month passes that schools are starting back up again, and many of us are likely going to be taking classes! So tell me: what do you study?

My fiance & I both study nursing. I'll be taking Medical Terminology in preparation for application to a program, and he starts his OB/GYN rotation of nursing school. I'm also taking classes in Dianic Wiccan Theology and herbal medicine. (:

I realize asking what you study might be difficult for those in high school, but really it's not — schools change their curriculum all the time! It's interesting to see what people are studying and when.
This user is a former member

Post by Gia on Jan 13, 2010 19:43:59 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
I used to major in Deaf Interpreting, but I changed my major to Multimedia & Internet. It's the closest thing to Web Design that my college has.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jan 13, 2010 19:45:41 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 13, 2010 19:45:41 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
I used to major in Deaf Interpreting

Aww! In ASL? What made you choose this (even though you have changed your mind)?

I'm a CODA, and my little sister is considering doing an interpreting degree in ASL here. (:
yulan
Jan 13, 2010 19:51:39 GMT -6

Post by yulan on Jan 13, 2010 19:51:39 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I'm an anthropology major. This quarter I'm taking just three classes:

- Cambodia & Vietnam, which will finish up my "geographical regions" subcategory. Also, my little nephew is half-Viet and it occurred to me that I know next to nothing about half his heritage.

- Upper division writing, which will teach us how to write papers in proper APA format (in theory, anyway)

- Probability & Statistics, cont'd... word to the wise, don't put off your math requirements, by then you'll probably have forgotten all the math you learned in high school =x
This user is a guest

Post by Gia on Jan 13, 2010 19:58:14 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Shtiya - I have always enjoyed Sign Language, and I have a friend who's deaf. I changed my mind because I didn't want to put in the great amount of effort that was required.

Yulan - Sounds, um... interesting... *blinks* The only math I have left, as far as I know, is plan ol' College Algebra.

@all - My three classes are Lightwave, Digital Video, and Intro to Database.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jan 13, 2010 20:47:17 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 13, 2010 20:47:17 GMT -6

I'm majoring in biology, a lot of different fields. I'll either go into biological engineering or some botany or evolutionary research field.

Currently, I am still going through the required science courses.

Physics, blah. I dislike this class. The laboratory part is just as useless.

Organic chemistry is so far alright, I'm sure it'll become a beast later on. The laboratory class will be easy.

Genetics and its accompanying lab are currently the only ones I am really excited about.

Probability and Statistics which I suck at, I'm good at math but not that math. I feel for you Yulan, classes just started and already I feel lost; thankfully the first test is mostly calculus so I get a freebie there.
yulan
Jan 13, 2010 20:59:54 GMT -6

Post by yulan on Jan 13, 2010 20:59:54 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Urrgh, calculus. I used to like math until I took calc my junior year in high school. It was brutal. To this day, just thinking about calc ties my stomach into knots. > < I much prefer stats to calc.

You know, I don't remember much of the science I learned, either. The last science course I took was History of Physics, which emphasized how certain ideas came about and their impacts on the world. Not a lot of actual physics calculations involved. *hides from science majors*
This user is a guest
Last edit by yulan: Jan 13, 2010 21:00:38 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jan 13, 2010 21:12:46 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 13, 2010 21:12:46 GMT -6

Yeah, I know what you mean. Thankfully, I had an awesome calc class for AP calculus. I was thinking about minoring in math, but then again, blah. Hopefully, come next semester I can start Japanese. That will be a fun excursion, hopefully it won't be as bad as French originally was.
heigun
Jan 20, 2010 14:46:08 GMT -6

Post by heigun on Jan 20, 2010 14:46:08 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
My semester doesn't start till tomorrow, so I don't know how these classes are gonna pan out, but I'm a Human Services Major. In JUCO terms that's a wide term for social work, psychology and sociology.

Mathematical Reasoning: I loathe math, but I need this to graduate this semester.

Counseling Theories and Principles: This one intrigues me, I think it might be the deciding factor for what major I take when I transfer into a 4 year school.

Developmental Psychology: How we become who we are.

Social Problems: Self explanatory, I guess

Intro to Geography: I wanted Cultural Anthropology, but I wasn't sure if it meets a requirement like this class does.

Drugs and Behavior: Why we drink and how to stop.
This user is a guest
yulan
Jan 20, 2010 21:06:53 GMT -6

Post by yulan on Jan 20, 2010 21:06:53 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Drugs and Behavior: Why we drink and how to stop.

Haha!

Mathematical Reasoning: I loathe math, but I need this to graduate this semester.

That sounds like it could be a logic class. Is it? I took introductory logic a couple years ago and loved it; it's a lot of fun. Well, until you get to the complicated stuff. That pretty much describes my entire relationship with math, actually.

Intro to Geography: I wanted Cultural Anthropology, but I wasn't sure if it meets a requirement like this class does.

That's a shame... but you should totally take a cultural anthro class anyway! *wiggles eyebrows*
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jan 20, 2010 23:19:24 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 20, 2010 23:19:24 GMT -6

yulan Avatar

That's a shame... but you should totally take a cultural anthro class anyway! *wiggles eyebrows*

it's true, cultural anthro is pretty great XD

also great are gender studies.
heigun
Jan 21, 2010 18:31:04 GMT -6

Post by heigun on Jan 21, 2010 18:31:04 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Yea Im still debating on switching classes. Seeing as the semester only just started I can do it. What is the study of anthropology anyway?
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jan 21, 2010 20:03:08 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 21, 2010 20:03:08 GMT -6

heigun Avatar
Yea Im still debating on switching classes. Seeing as the semester only just started I can do it. What is the study of anthropology anyway?

Anthropology is the holistic study of humanity, to put it simply. It seeks basically to define humanity in terms of what it is, how it evolved, behaviour, and so on.

And, naturally, within anthropology you have subsets of discipline, such as cultural anthropology or forensic anthropology. I love cultural anthropology most as it focuses on the idea of culture as a meaningful scientific concept.
kiraimitzuki
Jan 26, 2010 20:17:05 GMT -6

Post by kiraimitzuki on Jan 26, 2010 20:17:05 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
High School Student FTW

I hate my math class, Algebra 2 H or as our school calls it functions. I can't look at f(x) without being scared of solving. I recently learned exponential functions and what not. Not to mention natural base of e, don't know why we need it. Also imaginary numbers confuse me, if its imaginary why do we need because I don't believe they exist.

Im learning meiosis in Biology. Its all good fun, to a point...
This user is a guest

Post by Gia on Jan 28, 2010 15:49:55 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Aww, Kirai, don't worry about the math. Trust me, learning that - and taking Pre-Cal/Calculus - will help in College. I hated Math, but took Pre-Cal my senior year, and BOY was I glad!
This user is Mod