The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Next Avatar....

Anonymous
Jul 2, 2010 19:58:43 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 2, 2010 19:58:43 GMT -6

Yeah, the creators were very vague in that respect. Whenever they tried to elaborate on bending it only raised further questions, in a good way. That being said they did at one point say something along these lines. This is from memory so it may not be all that accurate, "Sometimes bad things happen and they just aren't reversible." They use the Holocaust as an example of an atrocity that just cannot be undone in terms of damage. In my opinion, I wouldn't be surprised if the Air Nomads, at least, went extinct after this, that means no more airbenders. It would be a horrible thing to picture but a good message when it comes to thinking about your actions, and the horrors of war which the show touched well upon.

My belief is that this is the end for airbending, at least beyond the Avatar. In my mind, Aang and Katara's kids won't airbend and the world would just have to go on like it had during the war.

As we know, a bender is born and at some point their bending ability manifest itself. My belief is that the Avatars, at least those meant to be born into the Air Nomads, will either be born to peoples who don't really affiliate themselves with a particular element/nation probably islanders or misplace ethnic cleansing survivors. At some point said child would show airbending talent, the people would then realize the severity of the situation and try their best to help the airbending Avatar learn a discipline long since gone from their world, and if they are the Avatar they shouldn't fret too much. If knowledgeable they could just call upon a past life and ask for guidance on their training. Eventually they would move on to the next element in the cycle and move on. Eventually they would die, and the next Avatar would be born, and the cycle would continue with Airbending proving a difficult and possibly near-impossible bending discipline to master for future Earth Kingdom Avatars, assuming the natural opposite deal that Bitter Work suggested is true.

I still say the bigger crime is that there will no longer be herds of sky bison flying through the air pooping on unsuspecting and unlucky individuals. I honestly wish that they could have at least thrown in somewhere that a few, genetically diverse pockets of them survived somewhere, traveling with little flying lemurs on their horns and backs. Oh, if only I had the artistic talent to draw that scene.*teardrop*

They could also just teach themselves airbending, Katara did it with waterbending, despite how bad that went :P.
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Jul 2, 2010 19:59:08 GMT -6

Post by Gia on Jul 2, 2010 22:01:00 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
I disagree. :)

I don't think that the Air Nomads as a nation will ever return, but I don't think they're gone completely. I think that at least one of Aang and Katara's kids will be an Airbender, one of their kids, and so on... Not necessarily that all future Air Avatars will come from their line, but it's possible that if enough of the teachings continue that it will happen eventaully. I don't think an unaffilated person - who knows nothing of the spirituality of the Air Nomads - could ever become an Airbender. I just don't think it works like that.

Edit: I should also point out that Aang's beliefs are very important, so he would most certainly pass that along to his kids. If it's important enough to them, they could teach it other people etc...
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jul 2, 2010 22:02:50 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 3, 2010 10:02:16 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 3, 2010 10:02:16 GMT -6

I'll still stick by my laurels. I really don't want the Air Nomads to return nor do I believe that they will, and airbending will forever remain a lost art.

For all we know, the cycle might just skip those people, and the world won't be any stranger still.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 3, 2010 10:03:47 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
@ shio - we'll see when Avatar: Legend of Korra comes out, if you're right nor not. =X I'm going to stick by you, considering that Bryke has said that Aang is the LAST Airbender.
This user is Mod

Post by Gia on Jul 3, 2010 11:40:09 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Well, that's true... My only point is that without another Airbender, the Avatar will cease to exist, and I don't like the idea of it just turning out to be some random person just because they need one and not because of any spirtuatlity or anything like that.
This user is Mod

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 3, 2010 12:26:27 GMT -6

well by the "avatar ceasing to exist", it could just mean that it will manifest in a different manner. eg: the end of the world doesn't necessarily mean the end of everything - just the end of the world as we KNOW it. could be the same thing with the avatar.
This user is Mod

Post by Gia on Jul 3, 2010 23:27:34 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
I still don't like that idea, is all. My only point is that if the spirtuality is carried on, at least there's a possibility. The world can't be peaceful forever; it just doesn't work like that.
This user is Mod
wei
Jul 13, 2010 13:07:43 GMT -6

Post by wei on Jul 13, 2010 13:07:43 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
From my understanding post Fire Lord Ozais downfall Aang could re-start the Air Nomads, and the civilizations kids could be Air Benders, NOT anyone related to Aang. So say Aang re-opens the Sanctum of his former tribe, and people began joining at random the children born from their beliefs in the Air Nomads would dictate Air Benders is what it seems to me.

It's kind of like evolutionary traits, people born in high climates are more used to those climates then cold ones, and people born in cold climates are more resistant to the cold then they are to the heat. So say Aang in the first year as the Air Nomad brought say 100 people to his homeland, and 20 of those 100 had kids. Well there's a what? 5 out of those 20 kids would prolly end up being Air Benders, and not one of them being related to Aang at all.
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 13, 2010 15:09:59 GMT -6

wei Avatar
From my understanding post Fire Lord Ozais downfall Aang could re-start the Air Nomads, and the civilizations kids could be Air Benders, NOT anyone related to Aang. So say Aang re-opens the Sanctum of his former tribe, and people began joining at random the children born from their beliefs in the Air Nomads would dictate Air Benders is what it seems to me.

It's kind of like evolutionary traits, people born in high climates are more used to those climates then cold ones, and people born in cold climates are more resistant to the cold then they are to the heat. So say Aang in the first year as the Air Nomad brought say 100 people to his homeland, and 20 of those 100 had kids. Well there's a what? 5 out of those 20 kids would prolly end up being Air Benders, and not one of them being related to Aang at all.

That's not true, actually. =X Well, at least, not as far as we know; the creators have said that the general population wouldn't be creating any airbenders.
This user is Mod
wei
Jul 13, 2010 15:32:00 GMT -6

Post by wei on Jul 13, 2010 15:32:00 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Ah well I stand corrected :-D
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 13, 2010 15:50:33 GMT -6

wei Avatar
Ah well I stand corrected :-D

xD Haha. I don't really expect many people to know that, as it's an old interview (at least three years old), and pretty buried in the AvatarSpirit.Net archives. =X
This user is Mod
eduante
Jul 17, 2010 19:31:26 GMT -6

Post by eduante on Jul 17, 2010 19:31:26 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
My theory is this: if the new problem for the avatar is to fix is an imbalance in the spirit world (which was relatively unused in the first series) perhaps Korra will have to travel into the spirit world to find an air bending spirit to train her. Assuming this new series fallows the pattern of naming each season after the avatars current element to be mastered, then the last season will be air. (fallowing the water-earth-fire-air cycle) What could be more epic then ending the series in a completely different world?
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jul 17, 2010 19:35:08 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 17, 2010 19:35:08 GMT -6

My theory is that Toph will roundhouse kick the spirit world so hard that the Airbenders will all come back. [/joke]

Actually, in reality, I don’t believe that all the Airbenders are gone. I mean, if they truly were Air Nomads, then they would not have all been at the Air Temples at the time that the Fire Nation annihilated them. So in theory, I just figure that there are a very few Airbenders left in the world, and that the cycle is therefore not in danger.

~Tenoko~
eduante
Jul 17, 2010 20:09:02 GMT -6

Post by eduante on Jul 17, 2010 20:09:02 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
then again with the whole spirit world and cosmic balance of the world, one might think the problem might work itself out. Random people across the world might just start turning out to have the gift. even if it isn't in their blood.
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 17, 2010 21:04:52 GMT -6

eduante Avatar
then again with the whole spirit world and cosmic balance of the world, one might think the problem might work itself out. Random people across the world might just start turning out to have the gift. even if it isn't in their blood.

As I've stated repeatedly in this thread, the creators have already said that airbenders aren't going to just pop out of the general population.
This user is Mod
eduante
Jul 19, 2010 14:01:32 GMT -6

Post by eduante on Jul 19, 2010 14:01:32 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
eduante Avatar

As I've stated repeatedly in this thread, the creators have already said that airbenders aren't going to just pop out of the general population.

you just love killing my buzz don't you javascript:add(%22%20::)%22)
This user is a guest

Post by Gia on Jul 19, 2010 14:02:34 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Daichi - There's no need to have attitude. Facts are facts. The creators said it, and there's nothing we can do about it.
This user is Mod
nemoknown
Aug 5, 2010 11:03:32 GMT -6

Post by nemoknown on Aug 5, 2010 11:03:32 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
My personal thought is the element you bend is based on your spiritual beliefs as is your bending ability, the reason there aren't any benders up in the northern air temple is because they do not accept the spiritual teachings of the air nomads and instead destroy the spiritual altars and monuments for expansion...the way they have been technologically expanding seems to point towards steam-powered tech, or more aptly put, steampunk...what does this have to do with bending? Instead of following the air nomads beliefs, they are ignoring them to instead make tech...

Tech or spirituality it seems...very common in stories that have both in them
This user is a guest
pokakaa
Aug 7, 2010 20:24:17 GMT -6

Post by pokakaa on Aug 7, 2010 20:24:17 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Energybending has the power to give knowledge.... just make dang sure that he learns energybending. The turtle gave him complete know how of it. Aang should be able to teach a lot of people Airbending...

It solves all near extinction problems as of now. As long as Aang lives he can bestow this knowledge... Work fast he only has about sixty or so years left. Yea the avatar state can't be used for one-hundred years and be expected not to have bad side effects.
This user is a guest
Last edit by pokakaa: Aug 7, 2010 21:58:59 GMT -6