The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Multibending?

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 3, 2010 9:49:28 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
So I was talking to Ryari the other day about elements and bending, and came across this notion: if, as Bryke states, bending is defined by your environment and your nation's spirituality, is there a possibility to bend more than one element?

Now, some clarifications.
—— 1. I am not talking about 'avatar' status here. Just an additional element.
—— 2. I am not talking about non-benders suddenly acquiring the ability to bend.
—— 3. I am not talking about non-Masters.
—— 4. I am not talking about off-shoot bending.

The way I see it, I think that if your background is a mixed "element" (for example, Water x Fire), the possibility of you having either Water OR Fire is about 50/50. If you're already a bender, by definition you qualify under the whole 'spirituality' thing. If you parents are equally diligent in teaching you the traditions of their culture, what's preventing you from tapping into what one can only presume is an innate affinity to the other element? Obviously, I don't think that this is something a regular joe can pick up. But, I think, through the right training, it's definitely possible.

Another point of discussion, also, is Iroh. Iroh is, as far as we've seen, the only person to incorporate every bending technique (earth, water, fire, air) into some aspect of his firebending. Iroh also has an obviously deep link into the spirit world. Since Iroh has taken to heart each nation's teachings, and considering his high affinity for the Spirit World, do you think it's possible for Iroh to be able to bend at least one more element in his lifetime?
This user is Mod
malta
Jul 4, 2010 1:49:09 GMT -6

Post by malta on Jul 4, 2010 1:49:09 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I think that it is very possible, but as far as I see it there is one major flaw, the spirits. Benders are said to draw their power from spirits (as shown by how the waterbenders lost their power because of the moon spirit being killed, and I guess the moon spirit blocked the sun spirit from granting firebenders power during a solar eclipse) and as such I would assume the would mean that a person would have to be blessed by multiple spirits. Of course if someone is taught the spirituality and to worship the different spirits of his/her mother and father, than there is no reason that said person couldn't gain both bending abilities.

As for what elements, I think that as long as the multi-bender doesn't have opposing elements (water/fire or air/earth) than it might work.

I don't believe that Iroh would be able to bend an additional element because I doubt he had been raised to respect the other spirits besides those that allow firebending. This being said, he is allowed to discover uses for firebending through the other bendings due to his later in life respect for all other spirits.
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 4, 2010 9:28:25 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
In regards to Iroh, who's not to say he wasn't blessed by multiple spirits? =O I mean, think about it. He's been granted access into the Spirit World; it's never really been touched upon as to why, through whom, or whatever, so it seems entirely plausible that he could've.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jul 4, 2010 10:58:42 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 4, 2010 10:58:42 GMT -6

Iroh's attachment to the spirit world might have been somewhat granted by the dragons, but that's only a short idea with little delving into. I think it would be possible to aquire the second element. BUT, as I see it, I think it would have to happen at an earlier stage in the benders spiritual development. Unless of course, one is DIRECTLY blessed by the controlling spirit of a bending element. In this I could see Iroh gaining access to another element. As he has taken part in attempting to preserve the moon spirits life. And in preserving the last remaining dragons lives. As I see it Dragons are deeply connected to the spirit world.

Now according to the lore of ATLA, before the elements were being bent, people instead bent their spirit energy. While its obvious this practice has long since been forgotten. And the stories of how people first learned elemental bending from animals, (and the moon in waterbendings case.) Then you can assume that each bender has the capability to learn a bending element of his choice, if the NEED is great enough. With this there, It may also be possible if the NEED is great enough. For one to aquire a second bending art.
This user is a former member