The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Toph Application Thread

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 7, 2010 22:02:46 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
The prior accepted Toph application is located HERE. Whilst we don't expect the new applicants to match exactly, we will be looking for applications that similarly depict Toph's attitude as I have portrayed her for the last few years. In addition to regular Canon application rules, we expect to see the following:

1. Toph's Galgori involvement :: Please remember, Toph was not recruited by the gAang on this forum! This is a very crucial element to our current plot. Toph is involved with the Galgori, a race of non-bending bender haters, as an accomplice - specifically the Hunt, a group of Galgori and benders alike set on finding and capturing the Avatar. The reason for this is because the leader of the Galgori Hunt, Halaku, arrived to recruit her with his troupe first. The Hunt's members, at the time, were Halaku [leader, Galgori], Nanashi [co-leader, Galgori], Jun & her shirshu, Yuan [waterbender], Shijin [earthbender], and Jiao [Galgori]. Toph went with the hunt after Shijin challenged her in the Earth Rumble, which resulted in a rather large fight and bloody escape from Gaoling.

2. Toph's Metal Bending :: Toph was not captured in a metal box which gave her insight into metal bending. It was found out entirely by accident during the course of her travels with the Hunt. The details are hazy, so you can do with this as you will, provided that it doesn't revert back to show-canon, and is a result of a happy accidental encounter.

3. Toph is not evil :: I can't stress that enough; just because she is with the Hunt doesn't mean that she's against benders. They happened to get to her first.

4. The Hunt's Exploits :: The Hunt has encountered the gAang a total of twice since Toph's joining. The most recent encounter left Halaku severely wounded, and the Hunt's numbers thinned. The current Hunt consists of: Nanashi [new leader], Jiao, Shijin, and Toph. Halaku and Yuan have passed away, and Jun went back to bounty hunting as they have no leads on the Avatar's whereabouts. They helped Azula enter Ba Sing Se, and when Azula betrayed them, the Hunt helped the gAang escape as well as saved their own hides.

5. Toph Now :: Toph is currently a few hours from Ba Sing Se, in an unnamed village, with the rest of the Hunt. Due to Azula's betrayal at Ba Sing Se, she and the Hunt are contemplating joining the gAang — if, that is, they can find them. We are also planning a Toph / Suki / Sokka Love Triangle! — this, however, isn't necessary in your application.

Toph's developed personality :: whilst Toph is still as boisterous and outspoken as canon, she has learned discipline, respect, and self control from her time with the Hunt. She speaks her mind still, and doesn't hesitate to be blunt as necessary, but she has learned to hold her tongue and speak when it's appropriate. She's every bit as cocky as canon, with good reason.

I know this is a lot of information, but we'd like to see up-to-date applications for this character. Toph's posting colour is pale yellow (F9FA8B) when in-character, though not required for this sample.

Please remember that the above requirements are in addition to normal canon application & profile rules, and should be written to have Toph's "voice", not just as another piece of writing.

Best of Luck!
remember, you need 3 Core Staff stamps for approval!
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 8, 2010 1:41:35 GMT -6
rintokohona
Jun 8, 2010 1:21:32 GMT -6

Post by rintokohona on Jun 8, 2010 1:21:32 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
{I hope it is okay that I post Toph pre-Hunt recruitment.}
————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A Few Weeks Back
Black, coarse hair hung in front of the eyes of a young girl, obscuring, well, nothing. You'd think it'd obscure this girl's view, but this girl couldn't see. She was blind. This girl was also an earth bender. Being blind only made it easier for her to act upon instinct and strategy, rather than what she was facing, causing her heart to make her wimp out. No, if she could see, it'd be a weakness to this exceptional girl. If she saw, she'd be more likely to chicken out of whatever she was facing. Being blind allowed her to feel the movements of her opponents on the ground, sensing a move that she could over throw. If, and this rarely happened, she was not on land, or her opponent, in the case of Aang, was 'light on their feet', she'd have more trouble, or couldn't at all, earth bend. This girl, was the Blind Bandit. This girl....was Toph Bei Fong.

A woman - Toph's supposed 'dresser' - stood next to her, as well as two guards stationed outside of her doors. Unbelievable! Her parents wouldn't even let her dress herself, they thought she was too blind and helpless. What was she going to do, trip over her own feet and smack her head on the floor, causing herself to become unconscious and into a coma from which she'd never wake? Yeah, right. Toph turned herself to face the dresser. With an innocent face, she smiled. "If I try to dress myself, and succeed, can I dress myself from now on?" the blind girl asked with a small angelic smile. The dresser smiled, patting Toph's head. "Why, of course you can. I'll still be here, just in case you need help, alright?" the young woman said. The dark-haired twelve-year-old smiled and nodded.

Picking up her formal dress off of a hook that hung in front of a mirror, - which Toph had no clue why it was there - she slowly pulled it over her head gently and stuck her arms through the long sleeves. The dresser beamed happily. "You've got it, Toph. That's just great!" the woman exclaimed with a jovial expression. Toph mentally rolled her grayish-green eyes. Remind me to throw up later... Toph thought. She smiled back with sarcastic happiness, though the dresser couldn't tell. "Great! So can I dress myself from now on?" inquired the girl. The young woman who was her dresser nodded with a smirk. "Yes, of course. Though I'll still be here, just in case. Now, let me do your hair." the woman said, pulling Toph over to a chair set in front of a vanity.

One Hour Later

The young girl sat at a table with her father and mother, eating lunch outside under a white gazebo in one of the many gardens on the Bei Fong land. The gazebo happened to be the one right up by the front gate, for it was the largest. Their lunch consisted of prawn, rice, and many other specialties. Daintily, which wasn't her thing, Toph used her black chopsticks to pick up small pieces of prawn and put it into her mouth. Her parents were trying to make conversation, though not with her, and she'd tuned them out, entertaining herself with a tree that was behind her parents, outside of the gazebo as she moved it side to side, stirring up the soil. The black-haired girl let out a small giggle. Poppy, her mother, looked up with her head tilted. "Is something funny, Toph dear?" she asked. Toph shook her head. "No ma'am." she said, returning her gaze to her food.

A guard in his garb walked up to the gazebo. Bowing deeply, he looked up to Lao Bei Fong. "Sir, you have a guest. She names herself to be Nanashi." he said, looking over his shoulder then back to Lao. Lao narrowed his eyes, looking at the guard. "Send her over." said the stressful father, running his hand along his face. The woman walked up and Toph sensed her steps, but only barely. This woman, she walked as if she were walking on clouds! It annoyed the heck out of her. A butterfly could walk no lighter. Silently, Toph listened to the conversation. Requesting for her to join the Hunt, and her father declining. The twelve-year-old Rumble Champion groaned mentally. It was at this moment, that she decided to run away, and join the Hunt.

Present Day

Toph Bei Fong walked barefoot along a path, following behind a group of Galgori and Benders called The Hunt. The girl had been with them for a few weeks now, approaching two months or so, and they'd recently been betrayed by Princess Azula. How Toph despised her. Thinking she was all high and mighty and powerful, being a lightning bender. The blind girl scoffed inwardly. See, a few weeks ago, Toph would have voiced this. But since joining and being with the Hunt, she'd learned not to, and to only voice her opinions when truly necessary. Let's just say she'd become a little more, reserved. She was still the same old Toph, but only slightly more refined.

After the loss of Jun, Yuna, and Halaku, Toph had to carry more weight around in the group. Of course, Toph didn't mind. At least they weren't' treating her like some vulnerable pup who had to be kept on a leash at all times, like her parents. The girl felt important, because they treated her equally, something she'd always longed for, but never received from her family.

The small-but-strong girl had assumed her family had given up on looking for her since her 'disappearance'. Not that she wasn't happy about it, it was just that.....Toph liked to think that her parents wouldn't stop looking for her. That didn't matter. The blind girl was happy where she was. No more safe boundaries. Toph. Was. Free.

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

{After two and a half hours of typing, 1/4 of sugar(yes, I consumed raw sugar for energy, only because it was 2:00am when I started), and two bottles of Sunkist Orange Soda, I've finally finished my application. I do hope that it is well enough and hope I get approved! Thanks for your time for reading this!}
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 8, 2010 1:42:17 GMT -6

Thanks for your application, Miharu! Before we go over it, we'll give other members a bit of a chance to reply. =] Best of luck!
This user is Mod
rintokohona
Jun 8, 2010 1:54:45 GMT -6

Post by rintokohona on Jun 8, 2010 1:54:45 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Thanks, Kami!
This user is a guest
bosco
Jun 10, 2010 2:10:02 GMT -6

Post by bosco on Jun 10, 2010 2:10:02 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Standing in the dark. The ground shaking beneath her feet. Toph can feel the roar of the crowd on the other side of the slab of rock in front of her. The blind bandit. The 12 year old girl thought of her stage name. It was time. The boulder was going down. Quarter turn of her right foot and the slab of rock blocking her way into the arena came down. The roar of the crowd hit Toph like a flood suddenly rushed into her. She could smell the greasy food all the people were eating. She could easily pick out the fans from the haters, but most of all, she knew exactly where everything was.

Using her earth bending to see, Toph made her way into the ring. She was 4'4." The Boulder, 6'2."

"This is unfair!" Toph said sarcastically. She started pandering to the crowd. "This behemoth facing a blind 12 year old girl???" She turned back to The Boulder. "You'll need AT LEAST 5 more guys until it's a fair fight!" She heard the crowd mostly laugh. But she could pick out the faintest boos. She could feel the boulder get tense.

And then it happened. The boulder took battle stance. Toph took her specialized stance. It was different than any other earth bending stance. She could feel where everything was in this stance. Like when The Boulder throws out his fist to attack.

The moment the muscles of The Boulder moved, Toph separated her arms and shifted her foot shooting up 2 rock plates to catch the boulder's fist out in front of him, disabling him from continuing his attack. Toph then lowered her hands and stretched her left leg out in a half circle formation locking The Boulder's leg in place. As the bolder's remaining arm struggled, Toph raised her right hand shooting a stone slab up locking the Bolder's remaining hand in place. Toph then snapped her body to her original fighting stance. This caused The Boulder to stiffen strait up. And with a stomp, Toph catapulted The Boulder out of the ring and onto the ground below.

Another flood of cheers his Toph as she raised both arms up with a big grin. "THANK YOU! THANK YOU!" The MC entered the ring and handed Toph her winnings. 500 Gold Pieces. With another fist pump, the girl left the ring and exited the arena, wishing she had more of a challenge. Oh yes. It was just another evening for Toph, the 12 Year Old Blind girl.
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 10, 2010 4:05:45 GMT -6

Thanks for your application! =] We'll wait a bit longer before giving our final decision.
Best of luck!
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 11, 2010 17:23:03 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 11, 2010 17:23:03 GMT -6

[ Well it is kind of a sorry application, but it'll do~ I like the way it came out at least. I think anyway Toph has a much harsher outward tone than an inward one. At least that has always been my impression of her as I have seen from the few times I have seen the show. And by few times I have seen they show I mean from like first episode to last XD yay for dvd boxed sets ]

Sightless eyes hidden from view behind a frock of barely tended too bangs, the rest of the young girls hair was pulled back into a large tight bun. A tiara hair ornament with simple fluff like balls on either side her jewelry of choice. Otherwise she kept a rather standard earth nation garb. The soft green basic fabrics and beige fabrics layered over the top. Feet bare and dusty from walking around, the bottoms caked with just the right amount of earth.

She looked the part of a strong yet pretty young earth kingdom girl, though that image would quickly be shattered when she opened her mouth. In reality she was a boisterous and loud tomboy. Who acted all the more so since she had the strength to take herself out of just about any bad situation she could manage to get herself into.

Blind from birth though it soon became her greatest strength, without eyes to see and be deceived she could feel the earth and all that was around her, as if she was far in the sky and looking down onto the whole landscape. This all was taught to her by an unlikely master. A group of badgermoles, living in a mountain, great animals of powerful stature who used earthbending to live their lives, using it to burrow the tunnels they lived in, using it to even see. Young and curious she mimicked the grand creatures and learned from them. She was no longer a helpless blind girl.

Though her parents would never understand she who was blind and helpless, must be sheltered from the world, She couldn't possibly take care of herself. Guards were always around the house there to protect the young daughter of the Bei Fong family. Hard pressed to find time to be herself however she would have to escape to go and do things HER way. She had become known as "The Blind Bandit" A powerful mystery bender who fought in the underground fighting arena in a tournament known to all enthusiasts in the area as "EARTH RUMBLE!"

There in front of so many people all cheering, excited to see earthbenders of all sorts pummel each other with large rocks. No one was wise to the fact that she was in fact the only daughter to the towns most well known noble family. As it was not known by many that there even was a child living in that home. Her sheltered home life could not compare to the joy she felt when she entered this arena. The crowds cheers and even their boo's filled her ears and caused a large grin to spread across her small face. This was where she could be true to herself and show off to the world that she was not as a fine piece of glass to be kept away in a cupboard never to be seen, But a powerful bender who could walk amongst the best and come out on top!

It was this in the end that lead her to join a band of travelers who came into the town one day, who gave her a reason to skip out and leave her loving yet extremely over bearing parents behind. This group was lead by people calling themselves the Galgori they were "The Hunt" they wanted her to join them, her powers would be a great asset to them, and to her this was a temptation atop the rest of her little reasons to want to go along. It however did take quite the fight before she went along, Shijin an earthbender who was part of The Hunt challenged her in Earth Rumble 6 a fight that tore the arena apart.

Toph's time amongst the small band of people calmed her outward brashness to a level, though she shined through many times. Unable to stop a sarcastic comment or two that was all too well deserved by the target. Looking back on things Toph couldn't regret the path she chose to follow but wondered if her parents could ever see her for who she really was. For now however she sat surrounded by what was left of the hunt, the members rather thinned by recent events. And the voice of a cocky firenation girl etched in her mind. Azula, after dealing with her and helping her enter the capital, betrayal was their reward. It stung like a large scrape you get when you fall and hurt your knee.

This had caused the whole goal of her group to think about a change. From once hunting the avatar, now it was probably the time to join him. If anything it would lead to the ultimate revenge for the betrayal at Ba Sing Se, the end to the war as a whole. And when it all happened she could only hope someone would be there to describe the look on that witches face when it all comes crumbling down.

All that was really left to do was to get a lead on the whereabouts of the Avatar, but that was far easier said than done. He wasn't someone who was so easily tracked down, if he was the firenation would have won the war already.
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 11, 2010 17:35:27 GMT -6

Thanks for your ap! We'll still give this a bit longer to see if there are more applicants. Best of luck!
This user is Mod
xadorkable
Jun 24, 2010 11:27:37 GMT -6

Post by xadorkable on Jun 24, 2010 11:27:37 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
(I would like to apply for Toph. I've study her attitude, behavior, and feelings of her bending along with personal. I'm not perfect, but I'll try.)
I've seen everything. Everything a girl shouldn't see her 12 years of life in royalty. Everything I ever experienced through my blind eyes and bending. I kept my most precious thing in my life a secret from my royal, pampered, and so-called protection. Even though I could relate to this life I was born with, I found a way to conquer it, control it, and wait for precise moment, like bending for example, I know am good at it. We I met this remarkable boy Aang. I felt my life turn around. I didn't know it, but I felt it. When the sudden rush occurred when comforting my parents of my secret special life. I knew I had to tell them about it, go ping they accept it, but I felt they wouldn't. So, just as my stealth at work... I ran away. I joined Aang to teach him the feeling of the earth bending. As usual I get this pressure of my past build up on me like this, and makes me wonder why I even should try, but Aang... He some-what changed me on what I used to see things. Going through a whole new world, and a certain 'Sugar Queen' just doesn't know when to keep her thoughts to herself!! Toph coughs... Anyway am just in my own world when I say, I can take care of myself! Well I should think about returning to reality again. (Sorry it's not much, but I couldn't really know what to say considering am on the 2nd season and still watching it at this point on, but this show is getting so interesting! ;) )
This user is a guest
Last edit by xadorkable: Jun 24, 2010 11:29:23 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 24, 2010 12:03:34 GMT -6

Thank you for your application! That said, it's not following the criteria listed in the opening post. Perhaps you should wait til you're finished with the second season, then review the Opening Post as there are differences from show-Toph to TARP-Toph, and repost your application.

To add, please be sure that you read the [rules] as well as the [faq] - we ask that all posts be in third person, to keep forum uniformity.

Thanks for your interest, though!
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 24, 2010 12:07:37 GMT -6

Post by Gia on Jul 7, 2010 23:00:33 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Okay, I talked to Toph/Kami, and we agreed, since some of you have been waiting for going on a month, that we should go ahead and get going with accepting/denying the current apps. For those of you who are denied, if you wish to re-apply, you will know what you need to work on and you're welcome to. :)

Miharu - Technically, your post was sound. You seem to know Toph well enough, but the most didn't really make me feel her. I was reading it, nodding, going, "Yes, that's it exactly..." I was reading it going, "Yeah, okay..." Your post lacked depth, I guess, is what I'm trying to say. I was on the fence with your post until I started to look at your posts. You told me previously you posted more than the two paragraph average you're doing now, but that's what we're seeing... two paragraphs on average. I know that some of your partners don't post long, either, but that honestly shouldn't matter. The fact of the matter is, you'd be going from that roleplay, to a roleplay with partners post four - six paragraphs on on average[/b], and can post much longer. The fact of the matter is, until I see longer posts from you, I simply don't think you're at the level we need a canon player to be. I'm sorry, but your app is DENIED, at least for now. Remember, you're free to re-apply later, pending my advice.

Bosco - Honestly, I was entirely confused with your post. You seemed to have ingored the entire opening post that Toph/Kami wrote up. There were also grammar mistakes (heights and numbers should be spelled out, capitalization issues...). Taking all that into consideration, your post is DENIED. If you wish to re-apply, feel free to do so, but you must abide by the first post this time and fix some if not all of your grammar problems in your post.

Gen Bai Ru - I found myself reading your post thinking along the same lines as I was when I read Miharu's. You know the character, but there was no depth. Your posts in the roleplay boards are currently short, as well. However, you have been here longer, and we would expect you to know more of what we expect by now. Like I told Miharu, I do not think you're at the level we need a canon player to be at, so your application is DENIED. Remember, you're free to re-apply, pending my advice.

REMEMBER,[/u] anyone is still free to apply! We are not closing apps, we simply wanted to respond to the current people who have applied. If you're still interested, we'd love to see an app!
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jul 7, 2010 23:01:29 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 8, 2010 8:16:48 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 8, 2010 8:16:48 GMT -6

Seeing as how I have an immediate investment with her Roleplayer I guess I'll let in my two cents.

Miharu- It was a good post, but as Karena said, it isn't what our main canons are like. I have to agree with what she said too, your post wasn't too deep, and with those faults plus the added damage of your short posts; I'll be forced to deny it.

Bosco - I have to agree with Karena, too, I stopped ready after a few sentences, but then came back to it because I have to read the application. So unfortunately, you are denied.

Gen Bai Ru - I'm going to be honest, it felt like a summary. While there were moments where Toph could be felt, in all it just went on and carried itself like a summary. Denied.

Please, don't feel discouraged, we need a Toph, but the standards for a major canon character will not be lowered. So, yeah, if you really want her, then don't be discouraged by this set back, and try out again.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 8, 2010 12:02:11 GMT -6

Just to Reiterate: please, do not get discouraged by our reviews. We are still accepting any and all applications for the role of Toph, regardless of whether or not you have already attempted to apply. In the event you have attempted to apply for this role, and wish to try again, you are more than welcome to do so, provided that you take our review of your prior submitted application to heart. Please, do not be discouraged.

••••••••

My Overall Review :: One common theme that I couldn't ignore --in all of the posted applications-- was the lack of Toph's voice. I know that no-one will play her exactly like me; I do know that, and do not expect anyone to do so. However, show of hands as to who read my sample, and/or even some of my Toph RP posts, and tried to closely follow how I depicted her? How many of you used my past Toph application / RP posts as reference for yours? Anyone? If you did, then I sincerely apologise... however, all of these posts felt as if they were written from an impartial third-person narrative, rather than with the spirit of Toph. Now, on to more individualised comments.

••••••••

Miharu :: Firstly, I want to thank you for your application. I know you were very hesitant to post, and it took a lot of courage for you to do so. I'm glad you tried out. =] That said, I'm afraid that I don't see you, currently, as someone who can play Toph. Your sample, in my opinion, was the most promising of the posted applications, and it took a lot of deliberation on my behalf to come to this decision. Reviewing your sample, I noticed you spent a lot of time writing "in the past". While narrating past events isn't disallowed, it just came across as very disjointed. Your sample is supposed to show us how you'd try to depict her in your roleplay with the canon cast; separating the sections of "A few weeks back", "Two weeks later", and "The Present" really confused me. For one, it's been months since Toph was recruited. For another, you spent so much time concentrating on "the past" and "two weeks" after that, the sample for the "now" felt really rushed and last-minute. It doesn't show to me that you understand how Toph has developed on TARP, and it really felt like a reiteration of the bullet points I outlined in my opening post. Lastly, as Karena touched on, we have been watching your posts in the RP sections; while two paragraphs is fine for non-canons, we really do expect more from canon players. I don't think you'll find a recent canon post under three paragraphs long. I personally feel that you might be overwhelmed with the length of our posts, as well. For these reasons, I will have to deny the application. As per my opening statement, however, you are more than welcome to try again. =] Please, don't let this review discourage you; instead, use it to help you grow and develop as a roleplayer. Thank you again for your application, and I hope to see another attempt.

Bosco :: I must admit, I am completely baffled by your application. With all due respect, I'm not even entirely sure you read my opening post. Or, if you did, it's like you read them, decided that it was too hard to write a sample, and instead concentrated on Toph's life before she'd even heard of the Avatar. This in of itself is a huge problem; your sample is supposed to depict how you would play Toph in relation to your participation in the canon plotline. If this is how you intend to play her, then I have no choice but to deny your application. As an aside, your post was also grammatically confusing. You switch from present-tense to past-tense not only mid-sample, but in mid-sentence. You indicated numbers in numerals, which is something you're not supposed to do from a grammatic standpoint, and is generally only considered acceptable for numbers over a hundred. The post itself was also very awkwardly phrased, and very disjointed. You're more than welcome to apply again, as I stated in my opening, but if you do so you need to show me what you can do with Toph. In all honesty, the post felt very disjointed and very out-of-touch with Toph not only in plotline, but in her developed personality. If you do decide to try again, please keep these factors in mind, and definitely take into consideration my opening post.

Gen Bai Ru :: I think the biggest issue that nagged at me, from a reader's standpoint, was the abundance of sentence fragments. For example:

. In reality she was a boisterous and loud tomboy. Who acted all the more so since she had the strength to take herself out of just about any bad situation she could manage to get herself into.

That fullstop after tomboy should really be a comma, considering your next sentence. "Who acted all the more so..." is a sentence fragment, and doesn't hold up on its own. This is only one example, however. From a canon perspective, I really did not get a feel of Toph from this post. Like Shio said, it felt like a summary of what I posted in my opening; there were times where you started to get in touch with Toph's persona, but you never quite reached it before going back to reiterating the bullet points in my first post. To me, this post was very intellectual: this is what happened to Toph, this is what's currently happening, and this is what she hopes for the future. It's a commentary written from an impartial third party, rather than being written as Toph. As such, I do have to deny this application as well, considering that what we're looking for is not an essay on Toph, but a ... I suppose third-person autobiography, as well as someone who is consistent with their posts. I know that you have been skirting the minimum requirement lately, which we simply cannot have with canon players. As with everyone else, you are more than welcome to try again, provided that you can not only depict Toph for what she has become, but can become more consistent with your post length and quality as well.

••••••••

I really hope that all the applicants will re-try, and take our critiques into consideration when doing so. I also sincerely hope that new applicants will surface, and keep in mind what we have already said to the other applicants (learning from others' mistakes) as well as keeping in mind the opening post's listed requirements. To reiterate, this role is still open for any and all applicants. I look forward to seeing re-tries and new tries in the near future.

Edit;; I will be continuing to play Toph until we accept a new player.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jul 8, 2010 12:05:09 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 11, 2010 15:26:55 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 11, 2010 15:26:55 GMT -6

[As a start, I'll thank you all for your critiques, all I'll start working on a reapplication. I know my posts in the forum have bee skirting on short, and even in one particular post I actually ended up with exactly 800 characters. To my defense and I am not attempting to use this as an excuse, my posting lengths sometimes get badly restricted based on what was in the post I followed, and how much I can actually interact in the current situation. Bluntly speaking, a third person autobiography is a contradiction in upon itself, but I understand what it is that you mean. I am currently going over my application and will be rewriting it full circle, touching on the points already their and expanding further to bring out more of Toph, and show that I do understand the character and how she is portrayed here in TARP. I did read through your original application of Toph and was using mostly that and a little of the more current stuff to base with. As for my broken acquaintances, I was pretty sure I had commas there, sorry about all that... rereading it I don't know how I ended up typing that way. I will be typing up and revising a more proper application over the ext few days. I'll append it to this post here when it is completed.]
kaitokatashi
Jul 12, 2010 16:46:01 GMT -6

Post by kaitokatashi on Jul 12, 2010 16:46:01 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Fingers flexed in anticipation for what they were about to do, and they closed around the cold, long, thin cylinder. Taking a breath, the raven-haired girl smirked and reached out, picking it up. It wasn’t heavy, so her hands made quick work of tying it into a perfect knot.

“YEAH! I’M THE GREATEST EARTHBENDER WHO EVER LIVED!” The girl of only twelve pumped her fist in the air, holding her creation aloft for all to see; that would have been well and good, had anyone actually been paying attention. Her cry earned her a “SHUT UP!” from someone (it was probably Shijin) and she laughed, setting the metallic knot down on the ground beside her. Her feet told her that it had been Shijin, and she took another breath to keep herself from pounding the ground and bonking him in the head with a small column of earth. She might have…no, strike that, definitely would have found that hilarious, but he wouldn’t have. No way. Instead, she balled her hand into a fist and hit the ground next to her, making that in front of her sink into an arrow pattern. That same arrow marked the person she and everyone else was looking for, and she wrinkled her nose at the thought of how much time had passed since she’d been approached by the Hunt back in Gaoling. The fight with Shijin had been great and she’d totally kicked his butt, but she couldn’t remember how long ago that was.

“Are we ever going to get you?” She chuckled bitterly as she realized that she’d been talking to the arrow as if Aang had been standing right there, and it was even funnier that she and the Hunt had actually encountered the Avatar…was it twice? now, and they hadn’t managed to get their hands on him; as a matter of fact, they’d lost people because of it! It might have been better if she’d been able to be in charge of the Hunt; after all, she was smart, funny, and an amazing Earthbender. What other Earthbender in the world could bend metal? She could tell you how many without hesitation: none. That’s right, none. Who would have thought the poor little rich blind girl would be the best Earthbender who ever lived? That’s right: nobody. Not her parents, not anybody she’d fought in the Earth Rumbles, not anybody. Why did blindness equate to helplessness in everyone’s mind? Sure, the Hunt and Aang’s group, plus anyone she’d ever fought, respected her skill and realized how stupid they’d been for assuming they could beat a twelve-year old blind girl. She slapped her knee and laughed uproariously at the thought, earning her yet another “SHUT UP! I’M TRYING TO SLEEP!” from Shijin. Oh, how she wanted to bonk him in the head.

Her eyelids slid shut over milky-white eyes with the slightest hint of green. It didn’t matter whether she had her eyes closed or not; she could see everything…well, everything that touched the ground, anyway. She could sense everyone in the Hunt, the bird that lit on a tree branch across the stream from camp, the ants that were marching up that tree, and a cart on the road quite a bit away. It made sense that people would assume she couldn’t see just because she couldn’t see with her eyes, but that’s what made it even funnier when she outsmarted them in a fight. She could almost count on her opponents uttering something like “Oh, crud! She can see!” and, if they didn’t say that, she could always revel in the feeling of their heart either stopping or trying to get out through their mouths. With as many fights as she’d been in, you’d think it would get old, but it didn’t; in fact, that was one of the most amusing things she could think of. The Hunt had provided her with a lot of adventure, sure, but she wouldn’t have cared if an old man had come up to her all that time ago and offered her a job as a traveling merchant. She wanted…no, needed to get away from her parents. They treated her just like everyone else, but it was a million times worse because they had the power to keep her like a bird in a cage; her, their little, delicate, helpless blind daughter. She spit on the ground and shifted her position, making herself more comfortable. Well, her parents may have wanted to protect her, but they couldn’t stop her from leaving. Not when she was awesome enough to have beaten every Earth Rumble contestant they’d put her up against. She’d heard they’d sent people after her when she left, but it was laughable how easily she’d managed to remain unfound. If there was anyone more stupid than her parents for thinking they could get her back, it was the men they sent who thought that they could get their hands on her. A few columns of earth to the face usually took care of them.

With a sigh, she “looked” at the arrow she’d made, sensed it with her feet.

“We’ll get you, Avatar. Just you wait. D’YOU HEAR ME, AANG? WE’LL GET YOU!” Her declaration echoed through the forest, and instead of an echo, she got “FOR THE LAST TIME, SHUT YOUR MOUTH SO WE CAN SLEEP!”

“That’s it.” Her fist pounded the ground and she tracked what she’d bent from the spot where her hand had hit all the way into Shijin’s tent until it popped up from the ground and bonked him on the head. She laughed heartily at his curses as she went back to her tent, and she quickly ducked when she felt the other Earthbender move and let something go; the thing he’d thrown sailed right past her.

“Nice try, Shijin! Maybe next time, you’ll be able to hit something!” She laughed again as she said that over her shoulder, especially when he grumbled. Well, that was enough fun for one night; come sunup, they would all get back to looking for the little bald boy with the arrow tattooed on his head.

We’ll get you.
This user is a guest
rintokohona
Jul 12, 2010 16:57:28 GMT -6

Post by rintokohona on Jul 12, 2010 16:57:28 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
{I only have a few things to say. I was really lost on what to write with TARPs plot. It utterly confuses me, even upon multiple people trying to explain. I'm ADHD, so I have an epically hard time keeping my attention focused on what's being dealt with. It makes me completely lost when you(generally speaking) explain in parts what didn't, and what did happen, instead of straight forwardly telling me, that every interaction with Aang/Toph did not occur. And length. I've only posted twice(or three, can't remember) in RP form. They're only two paragraphs because I didn't post first, and the person who did, only posted in two paragraphs. I can't do anything better when not supplied with a better post to reply to. I would love to re-apply, but I just can't. It's to hard to get my mind to focus and remember TARPs plot for the post. The characters of 'The Hunt', I don't know them all. Or what they are, who they represent, or anything about them. I'm sorry to say but I will not be re-applying.
If you allow me about two weeks(I will be in Indiana next week for a camp, so I will not have access to the computer) or so, I will remake an application. If the task becomes to overwhelming for me, I will surely notify Staff if I cannot reapply. Thank you.}
This user is a guest
Last edit by xadorkable: Jul 12, 2010 16:59:55 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 12, 2010 18:06:36 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 12, 2010 18:06:36 GMT -6

Kai- Don't take offense to this, but what the hell?! I know you can play a canon, you are an exceptional Pakku, but here it fell apart. While it's nice that you can name a member of the Hunt, that's not the point of this. You are supposed to show us that you can play Toph. This felt like a parody of what Toph is, honestly. Kami even posted what Toph didn't do, and you just completely ignored that part. I will admit I thought the emotion was Toph, just an exaggeration of who she is, hence the parody aspect. So I will have to deny this application.

Miharu-The decision is yours not ours to make. If you want to try again, then tell us, if not, then say that you won't. In addition, what we want is someone who can play Toph, not someone who can remember story.
Last edit by Deleted: Jul 12, 2010 18:08:53 GMT -6

Post by Gia on Jul 12, 2010 18:46:44 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Kai/Haru - I'm afraid I have to agree with Shio on this one. You seem to have completely ignored what Kami said. You completely missed the mark on this one. It was too over exaggerated for Toph. That first line was... weird. She wouldn't just outright brag like that, because... why does she need to? She knows it. This was way off, I'm sorry, but it was. As such, your app is DENIED.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jul 12, 2010 20:35:49 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 14, 2010 12:33:01 GMT -6

Haru :: Probably the thing that jumped out at me at first was Toph's usage of Aang's first name. She doesn't know it. =/ That just struck me as odd, considering I generally make sure to say 'The Avatar' when referring to Aang as Toph. Anyway, that was actually minor... my biggest issue with the sample in terms of portrayal is Toph's abrasiveness. I said in my OP that Toph has matured; this, to me, is very kiddie-Toph. It's very arrogant, very rude, and overall immature. There's a difference between speaking your mind (as Toph does), and being an arse (as you have her being). That struck a very negative chord with me, as I have worked hard to have this character grow up, whilst still retaining her sense of independence and free-thinking. Normally, I'd compliment you on technical merit; however, in this case, I can't. I see some very novice errors (eg: the constant use of 'she', 'her' and 'Toph') in this sample, and I have to say that these errors make me feel as if you weren't trying very hard. The sample feels rushed, as if you took a look at our denial posts, went "Hah, I can do better!" and proceeded to half-ass things because you figured we need a Toph player. Also, your recent canon posts have come into play with this application. As with Ty Lee, Toph is just too big a character to risk a lapse — in fact, I would say at this point she's bigger than Ty Lee, plot-wise. You post this length now, but it, again, is (to me) a false representation of the effort you're actually willing to put out on a consistent basis.

Overall, I just got a very disgruntled feeling when I read this sample, and for the reasons listed above, I'll have to deny the application.
This user is Mod

Post by Gia on Jul 15, 2010 22:41:42 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
We hate to do this, but Toph has changed her mind about giving up Toph. Something has come up and freed up some time for her, and she's decided to keep her. She does apologize for the inconvenience this causes to anyone writing a post. We are sorry.
This user is Mod