The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Fire Nation Capital III

Post by Gia on Jul 13, 2010 20:25:33 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
ADMIN NOTE: This is a notice to say to all RPers in this thread that this thread will be closed in two day's time. Please be prepared to switch threads or end your RP before then. Don't worry, a link to this thread will be provided.

Zhai-Li had been sitting there, thinking of the many scenarios that could explain why Ozai would want to see Makino. Shio spoke, and his words brought her mind out of that, and had it thinking about much happier times. For they had been happier times before her daughter had been banished. “She was like her father in every way,” the woman said to her young charge. “There is not a drop of me in her.” That probably served her well now, but back then, when Karena had still been living with her… it annoyed her mother to no end. Her daughter had not been a proper woman. She would rather be out learning to fight than at home, learning how to be a woman and take care of the home! Princess Azula could Firebend all she wanted; it was not the noblewoman wanted for her daughter.

“My mother raised me to be a traditional noblewoman,” Zhai-Li explained to Shio. “By the time she died, Karena had already been born. When I was growing up, she taught me how to cook, clean, take care of the home, take care of a husband, take care of a child… She told me that was what a woman should be like.” The noblewoman remembered each lesson in detail. As a child, she had not found them interesting, per se, but… they were what were expected of her. Growing up as the child of two people of noble birth, these were things expected of a noblewoman, and future wife of a nobleman. “Karena, well…she ignored every lesson I tried to teach her. No matter how many times I tried to explain to her that she was a woman, she’d be a mother and a wife someday!” The dark-haired woman sighed. “She never wanted to listen.”

The times that Zhai-Li had managed to get her daughter to attend to lessons without arguing with her, the young Firebender had zoned out. She had probably been thinking about the newest move that her father had taught her. “She was too outspoken, too argumentative for a woman,” Zhai-Li continued. “I tried to explain this to her. I even told her once, as she got older and interested in boys, that no boy would want her because of her attitude.” The dark-haired woman shook her head as she remembered the scorn Karena had given her when they had all these conversations. “I regret it now, but I still believe what I told her.” The woman sighed. “Makino and I thought that no one would ever marry her, no one would want to…” She and her husband had many conversations about that, too once Karena reached her teen years.

“Our marriage was arranged when we were sixteen. Yes, we had an arranged marriage, though we fell in love during our two year engagement,” Zhai-Li said to Shio as she continued to talk. “I didn’t expect Fire Lord Ozai to come to his old friend and ask that our daughter marry his son.” That had been a happy day, though it had ended badly. “Karena was thrilled; she’d had the biggest crush on Zuko.” A sigh escaped the noblewoman’s lips. “He didn’t like her though. Judging by the rumors, he must now, but back then… she annoyed him so much.” The dark-haired woman glanced out the window, her amber gaze taking in the palace that overlooked their house. “The first dinner that our family had with the Fire Lord’s, well… it ended with Zuko and Karena screaming at each other.” She let out a light laugh. “It’s kind of amusing now, but at the time, Makino and I were horrified.”

Why wouldn’t they have been? After all, Karena and Zuko were going to married on his sixteenth birthday. Makino and Zhai-Li had fallen in love during their engagement. What if those two didn’t? It had been horrifying for the young woman’s parents. The noblewoman couldn’t imagine being married to someone you hated, especially with the position that the two would be in. “The next few months before their banishments didn’t go well. Obviously things have changed since then…” A sigh escaped the dark-haired woman’s lips. “She was a gifted firebender, powerful, I just… never thought a woman should fight. I allowed it because Princess Azula was a prodigy.” Her eyes drifted back to her young charge. “I didn’t know what I know now, though I wish I did.” She realized she’d drifted off. “I’m sorry, I think I’ve rambled a bit from your original question. I’m sure I’ve answered it, but I’ve probably told you more than you wanted to hear.”
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jul 13, 2010 20:28:01 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 13, 2010 22:47:41 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 13, 2010 22:47:41 GMT -6

Hearing her speak, and hopefully let her thoughts wander away from her worries felt good for the young waterbender. As long as they were talking about something else, and as long as they weren’t worrying too much about what Ozai wanted with Makino, then things were good. But that in its self wasn’t very good.

While he was using this as a distraction for her, it did help him too. He listened, like a child would listen to a story and absorbed every bit of it. And in so doing, he was forgetting about the man in the huge palace just outside the house’s walls.

The more he listened the more and more he understood where Zhai-Li and Makino were coming from as well as their banished prince. With one daughter, no with a single child, these two really did love her above all else. The way Zhai-Li spoke, and expressed her emotion in her tone really cleared why they felt the way did, and also made his feel a bit odd about sleeping in her room. At least this way, he better understood the young woman whose room he now slept in. She was a warrior, and as Zhai-Li put it was like her father in every way which wasn’t a bad thing, but unfortunately, given the life she had it had turned out to be a pretty bad fortune to be given.

When she reached the part about the dynamics of an arranged marriage, he couldn’t help but wonder about his own parents. He knew from his older brother that his mom hadn’t met his father under the best circumstances. Even when he asked her about it, she was always mute and somber. It was like a part of died a bit, whenever she was reminded of it. He’d only heard it once from his older brothers, but that was all he needed to never forget what they said was the story behind their mother’s and father’s meeting. Part of him wondered if she lived the life that Zhai-Li had just gotten over describing. Still, if what his brother’s said was true, then it couldn’t have been the whole story. There were too many memories from his youth involving his father’s return from duty and his mother’s warm and loving emotion whenever she was around him.

Then her small story came to end, and he had to find a way to continue the distraction. Eventually, he put the weight on his shoulders, and decided to speak to her about his own experience with her daughter’s fiancé.

“Like I said before, I met the banished prince awhile back. He wasn’t the kindest person, and from what I saw and heard he was obsessed with finding the Avatar. I understand why, but he just wouldn’t stop until it was done. He failed, thankfully. Hopefully, he’s changed since I last met him, otherwise…yeah.” He said, stopping himself from mention the resistance with the two servants capable of barging in at any moment.

“So, from how many different people have you heard the rumor about the baby from?” He asked, eager to see if there was any validity in the story.
This user is a former member
yuna
Jul 14, 2010 11:24:06 GMT -6

Post by yuna on Jul 14, 2010 11:24:06 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
OOC: Sorry about the noodles Karena. I was really hungry that day and I guess it came out in my writing [:

Fixed beneath the lieutenant's amber gaze, Yuna took a moment to mull some things over in her head. It was important that the waterbender stopped regularly to reexamine her thoughts and to think over the things that they had said, that way she could be certain that she wasn't repeating herself. In doing this she realized that it would fully help her to understand what was being shared between the two of them. Most of what she had just heard she couldn't believe came out of the lieutenants mouth. No one had ever spoken to her so kindly or so thoughtfully before. Her heart began to swell with so much emotion that the dark-haired beauty worried that she would begin to look weak in her date's eyes. She didn't want him to think that she was fragile, but it was hard to keep her eyes from watering up and so she had to turn her head for just a fraction of a second to wipe at them with one of her delicate fingers. The seventeen-year old tried with much effort to be as inconspicuous as was possible and she hoped that her date would overlook this scene with nothing more but a smile on his handsome face. Once she was finished she turned back to him with a smile and respectfully she listened while he continued their discussion.

It was difficult to imagine that someone as new to Yuna as this city was could ever say to her that she would excel at whatever she put her mind to. The waterbender knew that there was no limit to Takeno's kindness and more than anything she wanted to thank him for all that he had done for her in such a short amount of time. Neither of her parents had ever spoken to her in the manner which the soldier did and neither of them could ever match the talent that the lieutenant had for making the young woman laugh, smile and as of two seconds ago cry. He's a keeper, her mind sighed as Yuna looked over the lieutenant with gentle eyes, you better see him again soon, or the both of us will be upset. With that Yuna started to giggle only because her mind was so predictable. Sometimes it felt as if her thoughts were the ones in control of her as apposed to Yuna herself. It was odd yes, but who's to say that it was also uncommon? Lots of people had a hard time controlling themselves and it was their brain that had to do all the work, at least in Yuna's case there existed a balance between her spirit and mind, one that worked perfectly and in unison.

Ah, I have to pay attention, the waterbender thought as she forced her attention onto Takeno's face, he's starting to answer my questions! "No of course," she said with a hint of understanding, "duty always comes first." That was the trouble with soldiers, their duty always got in the way of their freedom, but it was their duty that shaped them into fine, young men and because of that Yuna couldn't argue much. The only thing that worried Yuna was the thought of Takeno in battle, killing other soldiers mainly those from the Earth Kingdom. The waterbender was no supporter of the century long war and she herself prayed that the Avatar would end it as soon as possible, but what then about Takeno? He was a Fire Nation soldier after all, he must have already seen battle and taken others lives, but did that mean he agreed wholeheartedly with Fire Lord Ozai? The girl tightened her grip. She really hoped that Takeno wasn't a supporter, not because he was in the wrong if he was but because Yuna didn't know how she'd feel if the first person who ever showed her kindness was a man who could kill under Ozai's name and feel proud of it.

But I don't see that when I look at him. In fact, Yuna couldn't see any trace of fondness for Ozai anywhere on Takeno and so for now she decided to let the thoughts of war melt away. In time she figured they'd be able to talk about it, but at least for right now she was fine with their questions about how long each of them would be in the others company. Takeno's response didn't fully satisfy the waterbender on part because she didn't really understand what he meant by unforeseeable future, but she figured he would be around for a while. That of course pleased her and made her smile as if she had been given the best present on the face of this earth. Yuna leaned forward as he took a sip of his tea and wrapped her chopsticks with as many noodles as humanly possible. Cautiously, she brought the steaming goodness to her mouth and with a bite her stomach ceased its grumbling. Ready for another bite the beauty leaned in again only this time she stopped midway as Takeno's question rang in her ears. She settled back into her seat and as she did a bit of worry settled on her pale face. What was she going to tell him?

"I'm uh... here for about two weeks, but it depends." Yuna didn't want to have to tell her date that her trip had the possibility of being cut short if the teachers felt the need to go back home, but on the bright side, Yuna could also mention that there was a chance of her staying for even longer, but even she wasn't sure if that was possible. "Right now though, it's two weeks, but I'm sure it could be a little longer. It all depends on the teachers really." Grinning she reached forward and took another sip of her warm tea. "Don't worry, I'll make sure to keep them in good moods."

This user is a guest