The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Specialty Bending Abilities?

Anonymous
Nov 15, 2017 1:34:03 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 15, 2017 1:34:03 GMT -6

Hey, just curious about something

Since I never saw it answered in the guide or FAQ, are we allowed to have 'special' abilities as part of our character when we apply for them? (e.g: bloodbending, lavabending, etc).

Thanks.

This user is a former member
Last edit: Nov 15, 2017 2:48:02 GMT -6 | Thread title clarification

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 15, 2017 1:55:34 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Great question! For clarity’s sake, let’s call these type of abilities specialties.

Short answer: Yes and no. You can to a degree but there are restrictions.

Long answer: There are a few conditions with regards to this. First, the specialty needs to have been introduced in AtLA or season 1 Korra; as such, something like lavabending would not be allowed since its not introduced til a later season, or even the “compressed” fire bending we first see in AtLA with sparky boom boom man Combustion Man since the ability is not explained til later in the Korra series.

Secondly, there need to be plausible reasons (which as per the rules excludes prodigious ability) for a person to have the specialty, keeping in mind that all specialties must require honed, specialty training. For example, we know that as far as season 1 Korra, the only metal benders are earthbenders with police training. Therefore, all metal benders need to either be active or retired police officers.

Third, you would have to work closely with either or myself to make sure the specialty you choose won’t unfairly skew the power balance — for instance, blood bending is by its nature godmoding since it moves the opponent without their consent. If your character passes the first two conditions, we would have to temper the strength of the specialty to a reasonable level for your character’s age, experience, history, and board balance; additionally, we would monitor your use of the specialty in-game to make sure that you’re not using it unfairly.

If you have more specific ideas for your character that you want to discuss, please feel free to PM one of us with the details and we can go into more depth.

Does this help?
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 15, 2017 2:30:13 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 15, 2017 2:30:13 GMT -6

It helps a lot, thanks! I'll be sure to PM you to go more in depth of what I'm thinking of.
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 15, 2017 2:47:05 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Glad to help! Since the question has been answered I’ll lock this thread and continue via PM.

As a small reminder, in the future please use a descriptive title for your help thread so future guests and members can browse the Help Centre to see if their questions have been answered (this time, I’ve gone ahead and edited this for you, so no worries!)
This user is Mod