The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

a chance encounter

Anonymous
Mar 27, 2017 20:56:16 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Mar 27, 2017 20:56:16 GMT -6

just another typical saturday, making my way back home from teaching a class at the bending school. It was a wonderfully cold afternoon perfect for running home. my feet began to impact the ground with more frequency and force. The cold air hit my chest and my adrenaline began to spike again. "And i have left my shirt back at the academy again," i stopped to breathe and turned around to find i had idea where i was. "thats just wonderful." i quickly glanced around to make sure there was no one around i went to hide in an alley.

i took a deep breath and closed my eyes i slammed foot on the ground and felt the shock wave leave my feet, it bounced off of several buildings until i found one i recognized. Some private detective agency i think, i'd never really paid attention to it before today. now that i knew where i was i started on my way down to the building to try and get my bearings back. i stopped to help an elderly woman across the street, what kind of cop would i be if i didn't assist the people from time to time. 
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Mar 27, 2017 22:15:21 GMT -6

Post by Ling on Mar 28, 2017 15:07:24 GMT -6

Ling Avatar
It was a chilly, chilly day; the kind of day that set your teeth chattering the moment you stepped foot outside. Like a fool, she had also decided that it would be good to wash her hair before work this morning.

By the time Ling got to the office, her hair had turned into a block of ice. After some hasty defrosting in front of the radiator, she wrapped herself up in the blanket she normally took with her on stakeouts. The chill had set into her bones, and the normally cheerful woman wondered balefully if she would ever feel warm again.

Her sister, Mei-zhen, had no sympathy as she headed out for her shift at the local clinic, scolding her young sister for acting so foolishly. Ling stuck her tongue out at her sister's retreating back as the office door swung shut.

Luckily for Ling, it was a slow day. The Chief's passing was still the biggest news of the newly-started year and fortunately (though perhaps unfortunately for Ling's wallet) nothing else major had happened that people seemed to need a private investigator for.

When mid-afternoon rolled around, the freckled woman decided to close up shop for the day. Not a single person had come to inquire after their services, and it seemed pointless to spend what was sure to be another fruitless two hours sitting around a cold office. As she left, a bunch of shrieking school-aged children jostled her. Instinctively, she checked her pockets for her valuables. Satisfied everything was in order, she trudged down the block towards home in a cantankerous mood.

Such was the foulness of her mood that her normally quick reflexes were thrown off when she nearly crashed into an elderly lady being helped across the street by a police officer. Ling cursed, audibly, and just had enough time to shift her body weight to avoid colliding with the wizened figure.

Unfortunately, she collided with the cop instead.

Falling on her rear with a grunt, Ling let out a string of words not suitable for elderly company.
This user is from the WT
Anonymous
Mar 28, 2017 15:29:50 GMT -6 via mobile

Post by Deleted on Mar 28, 2017 15:29:50 GMT -6

The woman moved almost to slowly it seemed. He loved helping but sometimes Taizen felt as though he'd made a mistake starting to help some people. The old woman nearly slapped him for even approaching her, until she saw the badge hanging on his belt, she even offered him a spare sweater in place of his missing shirt which he gladly accepted.

He was waving goodbye to the nice woman when he was rammed into by a young woman who tried to avoid elderly lady. The strange woman hit the ground with a loud thud and uttered words Taizen usually only heard from his students who'd been hit by rocks and convicts he was arresting. He extended his hand to the young woman.

"Are you ok that looked like it hurt," he reached out and helped the woman to her feet. He didn't recognize her which was usually a good thing given his detective work usually lead him to meet less... desirable people, but he swore he had seen her somewhere before. "Do I know you from somewhere miss..." he trailed on as though to ask her name.

Post by Ling on Mar 28, 2017 15:54:09 GMT -6

Ling Avatar
She accepted the assistance with grumble, brushing her backside free of street filth. Luckily, she had been wearing her trench coat. Bits of things stuck far too easily to the woolen trousers she was wearing.

Looking up at the cop's face, Ling didn't recognise him. Then again, she didn't particularly go out of her way to be on friendly terms with many members of the RCPD. "Yao," she supplied, flashing her trademark gap-toothed grin. Technically, she had no arrests to speak of, despite her former gang affiliation. Her gang had been too small in comparison to the three Triads for the police to bother with — at least, until they got the Triads' notice. Even then, she had avoided being arrested by running home before the police arrived, and her cronies, for all their faults, had remained silent to her existence.

Still, she had no desire to rock the boat. She fished a card out of her inner pocket and handed it to the officer. The thick paper was embossed with gold lettering that read The Yao Sisters Detective Agency; under that was her name, Ling Yao, in black print. On the back of the card was the number and address of the agency.

For the first time in recent history, she thanked her lucky stars that Mei-zhen had convinced her to rent the office in their family name instead of an alias. Father's name had never been associated with criminal activity, and neither had Mama's.

"I run the agency just down there," she said, jerking her thumb behind her. "Sorry for running into ya."
This user is from the WT
Anonymous
Mar 28, 2017 21:14:00 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Mar 28, 2017 21:14:00 GMT -6

"its fine it takes a bit more than that to hurt me. Now then miss," he looked at the card he was given and took a random guess, "Ling, your a detective? That's great i might call you if i need some help one of these days. My name's Taizen and im one of republic city's finest detectives, and its a pleasure to meet you." he took an elegant bow.

he took another look around and realized once again that he was very very lost. He scratched his head and tried in vain to make his following question sound somewhat mature. "now then i may have gotten a tiny bit lost on my way home today, and if i were to bribe you with a dinner could you please... help me get home i have no idea where i am." the question came out blunt and clumsy and to most people it probably would have sounded more like a demand than anything else. He hoped desperately that she wouldn't take it the wrong way. His arms fell loose at his side and he looked down at her hopefully.

Post by Ling on Mar 29, 2017 9:12:58 GMT -6

Ling Avatar
Ling flashed another smile, hiding her irritation that a young man her age, perhaps younger, would be so brash as to immediately assume familiarity by using her first name. And then assuming she'd help him. And then bragging about his prowess.

"A pleasure," she echoed, revealing none of her thoughts. She had an excellent card-playing face.

The officer then admitted he was lost and asked for assistance, offering dinner in exchange. This, she couldn't help but allow a small flicker of annoyance to cross her otherwise placid expression. She had planned to go home and ring Jia to see what she was doing for dinner.

But the young officer looked so helpless that, for a brief moment, she felt sorry for him. With a bemused smile and a shake of her head, she stuck her hands in her coat pockets. The weight of the mechanisms in her sleeves gave her some comfort.

"I'm not really in the habit of helping out detectives, sir." There was just a slight sardonic note to the last word. "Most of them don't particularly like private investigators on their cases. But a favour for a favour, shall we say?"

There were worse things than having a cop owe you.

Ling could hear Mei-zhen's voice disapproving in her head. You're playing with fire!, the mental recording of her sister chastised. She brushed it aside.

"Well," she said out loud, her tone bright but her expression very carefully composed into a winning — but vacant — smile, "Where are you looking to go?"
This user is from the WT
Anonymous
Mar 29, 2017 15:25:18 GMT -6 via mobile

Post by Deleted on Mar 29, 2017 15:25:18 GMT -6

After hearing her statement about detectives not liking Pi's a look of sadness shot across his face. "Well the offers always open, lord knows I need the help most of the cases I get I end up working on my own cause no one wants them."

After seeing her face when he offered her dinner he instantly knew he would have imposed upon other plans and Taizen surmized he'd already taken enough of this nice young lady's time. So he cut straight to the chase and said, " I would like to get to the green dragon academy so I can give my afternoon lessons." He said it with a friendly smile and a cheerful tone

He pulled out a pad and a pencil from his back pocket and wrote down his name and number. " And you can reach me here when you want to redeem that favor if you don't want to use it right now." He handed her the slip of paper "I'm sorry if I've taken up a lot of your time miss Yao."

Post by Ling on Mar 30, 2017 15:39:13 GMT -6

Ling Avatar
Ling noted how quickly he backtracked his dinner invitation and assumed a politer tone. A real grin broke across her face. Maybe there was some truth to his earlier boast.

She took the proffered slip of paper, examined it for a moment, then tucked it into her inside coat pocket. "Thanks... Detective Xiaolong," she said. "Green Dragon Academy coming right up."

She set off in the direction of the academy, clearly expecting the detective to follow. "You were on the right track," she said, "but there are a few streets I'd avoid." The Dragon Flats District native pointed out a few streets as they walked.

"This is, technically, the quickest route through to the academy, but I'd give it a pass. There's a guy that's constantly working on his Satomobile here and the street is so narrow it blocks any traffic. He's gotten a dozen tickets but I hear he's got some connections with you lot and it never seems to phase him."

They turned, and Ling pointed out another side street. "I doubt that they'd be so bold as to harass an officer, but Triad initiates can be stupid. They haven't done much lately, since... well, you know, the whole thing a year ago, but this road is a popular hangout for kids trying to prove themselves, and if you're ever in plain clothes or anything..." she shrugged. Xiaolong was obviously an intelligent man. He'd put two and two together.

After a few more turns and "streets to avoid", they arrived at the front gates of the Green Dragon Academy.

"And here we are," the freckled woman said with an exaggerated flourish. "Have a good lesson."

She turned to leave, then turned back, an idea striking. "I may call in that favour sooner, rather than later," she said brightly. She had just remembered the favour her old gang had asked her for, and maybe it would be easier to get more information with the assistance of a willing detective, all above board. She'd have to do it in a way that showed she was using the police and not the other way around; the last thing she wanted to was to be branded as a tell-tale or informant.

Ling tipped an imaginary cap in Xiaolong's direction. "See you 'round, detective."

OOC: I'm willing to do another thread if you want? I know this was a bit short
This user is from the WT
Anonymous
Mar 31, 2017 21:03:23 GMT -6 via mobile

Post by Deleted on Mar 31, 2017 21:03:23 GMT -6

Taizen was extremely grateful for the tour and made sure to take good note of the "streets to avoid as she put it. And yes the man with the satomobile had definitely showed up several times about tickets usually just to pay them and he was glad to know that other people were suspiscious of him as well. Taizen of course never revealed any of it he usually just gave a polite nod and a simple "good advice" in return and he made sure to make a few mental notes of how she expertly managed to bump into people normally he'd investigate but Tai was off duty and decided to ignore it. After all everyone has their own little secrets in this world.

Upon arrival at the academy he noticed some of his students were bullying a few nonbenders. A quick kick to the ground was all that it took to knock the bullies off balance. When they locked eyes on him they were met with a face many people didn't believe Taizen was capable of making, one of pure and absolute fury. He would deal with the boys in a moment.

The incident only lasted a few moments and he'd hoped his guide hadn't seen it happen. Taizen didn't want to scare the first competent detective he'd met in the entire time he'd been in republic city. Of course he'd heard of Ling and her sister and more often than not they had solved cases much faster than other members of his police force. That must be where he recognized her from.

And now he owed her a favor of course he'd let himself get caught in that trap. He could only wonder what this woman would request and if he'd even be able to accomplish what she'd ask. Well there's nothing for it now might as well keep up appearances.

"Thank you for your assistance miss Yao. And it was a pleasure meeting you." He bowed and she tipped her hat to him they both parted ways. He looked down at the bullies who were still prone on the ground and he simply said.

"All right time to practice evading your opponents attacks. Hope you brought your good shoes." And with that his lesson had begun, and he had set it in his mind that he would discover who this Ling Yao really was. She didn't make it obvious but she was clearly hiding something. After all someone who asks for a favor in return for directions wants something done somewhere pretty badly.

OOC: yes I would love to do another thread with you Taizen has nothing left to say so unless Ling does I think this ones finished.