The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Ideals in Charcoal

Anonymous
Feb 13, 2017 22:57:10 GMT -6 via mobile

Post by Deleted on Feb 13, 2017 22:57:10 GMT -6

Cheo carefully set up her roadside booth by a local news stand, being extra delicate with the hanging portraits, the most prominent ones being homeless and impoverished individuals she had met during her time in the city. These ones had a special place in her heart, and she smiled fondly as she hung them on the stands she had set up. As she hung up the last of the pictures, she set out two wooden stools, one with a soft cushion, and a collapsible table for her charcoal and smudge sticks. The cart she carried all her supplies in was old, rickety, and had a tendency to roll away sometimes, which is what is was doing now. Cheo sighed and kicked her heel into the ground, stopping the cart so she could drag it back. "I really need to get your wheel fixed, one of these days you'll get me in trouble." She grumbled to her cart. Double checking that no one had seen her, she earthbended a small wedge under her cart wheel so it wouldn't roll off untill she closed down her booth for the day.

It was small enough that only the most observant of people would notice it. She hoped no one would, or that they wouldn't be hostile to her at least. Humming an old rebel chant while she finished setting up, she double checked all her tools, and put up her 'Free Portraits' sign before sitting on the less comfortable of the stools. After a few hours had passed, and Cheo listened to the stories of the people who stopped at her booth. She listened eagerly to each one, hearing the rage at benders and nonbenders alike, tales of grief for loved ones, the fears of benders who'd been attacked. After their face was etched in coal, she consoled them with words of hope, or sympathy, whatever kind of words they needed, she gave.

Cheo stretched, the day was almost over, and no one had come up to her for roughly twenty minutes. "Ugh, I'm exhausted. I really need to get better seats for this." She grumbled as she popped her back. Scanning the street, she almost lost her breath as a woman entered her field of vision. She looked regal and refined, with an almost threatening air around her. She looked like a strong woman, with deepset opinions that would defend herself, and even attack if she felt the need. She looked like a challenge, and Cheo loved talking to people who were a challenge for her. She was beautiful and terrifying, and Cheo couldn't stop gawking as she walked past. Shaking her head and slapping herself on the cheek, she called out to her, trying her best not to sound like a crazy person. "Excuse me, miss! Would you have time to stop for a portrait? I couldn't help but notice you have a regal air about you, and i would be honored if you allowed me to draw you."
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Feb 15, 2017 15:16:16 GMT -6

Post by Charumati on Feb 18, 2017 14:43:02 GMT -6

Charumati Avatar
The forecast had said snow, and while it hadn't started yet in Republic City, Charumati was eager to get home from the Temple before it started to fall. She hadn't quite dressed for snowfall, garbed only in her black martial arts clothes. As she hurried down the street, she passed many vendors and performers, trying to cajole people to examine their wares. Charu ignored them all, until a small voice called after her:

"Excuse me, miss! Would you have time to stop for a portrait? I couldn't help but notice you have a regal air about you, and I would be honored if you allowed me to draw you."

Something in the earnestness of the voice made her stop and turn back. A tall young woman with green eyes met her gaze, surrounded by wonderful portraits as she sat in front of an empty canvas.

Green eyes. Charumati kept her face impassive, but wondered why a bender would opt to be a street performer (of a kind, at any rate), instead of taking on a more lucrative job. A scar ran across her face, and Charu decided that yes, indeed, she had some time.

She made her way to the artist's stall. "I have a few moments," she said, her voice soft; it was a very distinct type of softness, the kind that came from soft spoken people rather than a manner affected by those trying to be quiet. She sat in the empty seat across from the artist. "It will snow soon," she said, matter-of-factly. "You have until the clouds — " here she pointed to the dark clouds looming over the horizon, " — reach the city."

The older woman sat, straight-backed, hands clasped in her lap. "Please feel free to begin whenever you are ready."
This user is from the EF
Anonymous
Feb 18, 2017 21:36:38 GMT -6 via mobile

Post by Deleted on Feb 18, 2017 21:36:38 GMT -6

Cheo held her breath as the woman looked her over, suddenly very conscious of her disfigured face, and feeling oddly reminded of a cobrahawk about to strike a baby mouse-rabbit. She broke into a grin when the woman said "I have a few moments" with a voice far too soft for someone with her commanding presence. She reached for her charcoal as the woman continued, "It will snow soon." Cheo looked up at the sky, the clouds were heavy and dark, but wouldn't hit the city for maybe thirty minutes.

"You have until the clouds reach the city" Cheo looked back at the woman, popping her knuckles and grinning as she did so. "I'll be done before that." She waited until the older lady was satisfied with her position, she reminded herself again to get better seats soon. "Please feel free to begin whenever you are ready." Cheo almost dropped her charcoal stick. 'Wow, she even sounds like royalty.' she thought, the beginning lines of her sketch half done. Periodically glancing from the canvas to the woman across from her, she cleared her throat. "I realize I neglected to ask your name, I apologize for that." She paused to smudge the canvas with her fingertips before continuing. "Many of the clients like to tell me about their lives while i work, it passes the time and makes for interesting conversation." She made eye contact with her guest, giving her a sincere smile and a silent cue that she didn't have to say anything if she didn't want to.

"If you don't want to talk about yourself, I'm an open book to everyone." While her face hadn't moved a muscle, the woman's eyes lit up like an inferno. Cheo struggled to capture it before the look disappeared, her tongue poking out in fierce concentration.

Post by Charumati on Feb 19, 2017 0:20:26 GMT -6

Charumati Avatar
The older woman offered a slight smile, reminiscent of that one painting with no eyebrows. "My name is Charumati," she offered. "It's a pleasure."

She wondered how the drawing was going. It was easy to see that the artist had skill, the evidence of it lay in the example pieces surrounding her area. Charu was glad that she had decided to put on a little makeup even though she was only going to the temple.

Her long brown hair was pulled up into a bun, a lock of chin-length hair hanging on either side of her face. A wisp of fringe fell across the middle of her forehead, sweeping off to the side. Her eyebrows were perfectly plucked and arched, her lips had a pale pink sheen, and there was a hint of kohl eyeliner on her top lids. Her clothes, traditional Earth Kingdom style martial arts attire, were all black, save for the turned up ends of her sleeves, which revealed the white inner lining in stark contrast to the dark brown of her skin.

Not feeling particularly inclined to divulge her personal life to yet another stranger — she'd certainly had enough of that in the previous few weeks! — she instead deferred to her companion. "I have not seen you along this street before," she said, knowing full well the implication that she was a frequent visitor to this area; Charumati was fine letting that go. "Have you come to this neighbourhood recently?"

She wrinkled her nose a little, trying to get rid of a sudden itch.

She had crossed her legs at the ankle and soon began to regret doing so; sitting still for her portrait in this fashion was cutting of the circulation to her left foot, and she wiggled it surreptitiously to try and get some blood flow going without changing her position too much.
This user is from the EF
Anonymous
Feb 19, 2017 2:34:54 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Feb 19, 2017 2:34:54 GMT -6

Cheo smiled at Charumati, slightly altering the drawing to get the small and somewhat mysterious smile she was given. Cheo had a sense that the woman across her didn't smile often. "A beautiful name for a beautiful woman." She captured the shadows and highlights in the folds of her clothes, and began carefully smudging the charcoal to give her skin depth in her monochrome medium.

"I have not seen you along this street before," Cheo paused, switching back and forth between the coal and paper sticks as Charumati talked. "Have you come to this neighborhood recently?" Cheo chuckled a bit before answering, "No, I've lived in the city for almost three years. I set my booth up on a different street every week so I can see as many different people as i can." Cheo paused in catching the backlighting behind Charumati, noticing her circling foot. "And i apologize for the seat, I've been meaning to get new ones that aren't as uncomfortable." Cheo finished smudging the last of the background, and quickly put her signature in the bottom right corner. It was one of the best pieces she'd done, she spun it around for Charumati to see. "What do you think?" The earthbender glanced at the sky and mentally cheered. 'And with about six minutes to spare, go me.' She turned back to the older woman to see her reaction. "If you like, i can have it framed and delivered to your home or work," Cheo grinned. "But that's the part  that actually costs money."

Post by Charumati on Feb 19, 2017 3:35:16 GMT -6

Charumati Avatar
It was a very skilled piece. Charumati examined it thoughtfully; while the skills of the brush (so to speak) eluded her, she knew it took just as much, if not more, determination and training as skills of the blade or the fist. The portrait was like a glimpse of what the artist saw in her. She recognised her own features, but there was a fire in her expression and she could see the regal demeanour that the artist referenced.

She wasn't entirely sure she agreed that it existed, but it was a kind thought nonetheless.

Wiggling her foot a bit before standing, the older woman bowed in respect. "It is a beautiful portrait, and I would be honoured to have it framed and displayed in my home." She fished out wallet: a pillow-stitched pink coin purse, with a small cat charm dangling off the side. "I would also like to leave a tip, if you'll allow me. This is a very skilled piece of work indeed, and I can only imagine the hours of effort you have put into honing your skills."
This user is from the EF
Anonymous
Feb 19, 2017 15:31:17 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Feb 19, 2017 15:31:17 GMT -6

Cheo blushed a little at the praise, rubbing the back of her neck in slight embarrassment. "Well, you do something long enough, eventually you'll get skilled enough at it. I'm entirely self taught." Cheo rummaged in her cart for the paper with all her paying customers' addresses. "The framing and shipping is six yuans, and I'll need to know where to send it." She bowed in respect and rubbed her neck again at the mention of a tip, "Oh, you don't have to do that, really. It's not like your paying for a professional, and, uhm-" Cheo continued to ramble about how it was no trouble, and that Charumati didn't need to give her anything extra, she didn't want to take advantage of her kindness. 'I need to stop talking, I'm working myself into an anxious frenzy' she thought in the back of her mind.

She derailed herself and trailed off after she started stuttering, Cheo coughed into her fist to clear her throat, and her head. "I apologize for that; and if you insist, i humbly accept your gift." She took a step back and bowed deeply at the waist. When she stood back up straight, she noticed her cart rolling away in the opposite direction of her little earthbended wedge. "Really!? You stupid cart!" She turned briefly towards Charumati, "Excuse me for this," bounding a few paces closer to the runaway art cart, she dug her heels into the pavement and lifted her arms, bending a small block in front of the wagon, and returning the road to its original position once she had retrieved it. "And stay!" She scolded her cart, and promptly froze once she felt a very intense gaze from her left. Keeping a grip on her cart, she addressed Charumati with a fearful waver. "I can explain, please don't tell anyone."

Post by Charumati on Feb 20, 2017 1:45:08 GMT -6

Charumati Avatar
With a small nod, the older woman pressed a twenty-yuan note into the young woman's hands. Before she could say much else, the nearby cart began to roll away; Charu started forward, but the artist gave a little cry of exasperation and rushed forward and stopped the cart with a bit of earthbending.

She apologised, looking frightened, but Charumati returned the look with a bland expression. It came as no surprise to her that they were a bender; the colour of their eyes were a dead giveaway.

The older woman shrugged one shoulder at the request to not tell anyone, raising a perfectly arched eyebrow. "Oh?" It was a statement, a question, and a small hint of judgement all in one syllable.
This user is from the EF
Anonymous
Feb 20, 2017 2:32:36 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Feb 20, 2017 2:32:36 GMT -6

That one simple "Oh?" Hit Cheo like a ton of bricks. It didn't feel like a simple curiosity, it was a judgement, and they both knew it. "I-I didn't want people to get the wrong idea about me just because I'm a bender. I try-try to hide it most of the time, sometimes I even forget i have it and-and i was a little nervous about coming t-to this part of town because-cause-cause a few of my clients told me to stay away, and i trust them very much." Cheo took a big gasping breath, and took a few more, trying to calm herself down.

If Cheo had been a puppycat, her ears would've been pressed flat against her skull. "Sorry, my stutter is acting up." She cleared her throat and continued, "A lot of people i trust; non-benders as well as not, have warned me against thus particular area of the city. Especially after the Equalists became public, and after i started hearing rumors of-" Cheo switched to a conspirative and fearful whisper. "- The Galgori." She switched back again, and small tears welled up in her eyes, but didn't fall. "To tell you the truth, ive been scared of being killed, or another one of the many dissapearing benders. Most of my neighbours believe me to be a non-bender, and I would really prefer to keep it that way."

Cheo bowed again, and the tears fell onto the pavement. "Please, i beg of you not to out me to the public."

(OOC: those are some of my stutter patterns, try reading it really fast to get a better idea of what it sounds like)

Post by Charumati on Feb 20, 2017 4:15:29 GMT -6

Charumati Avatar
Charumati's face remained impassive, despite the quick flash of anger she felt in the pit of her stomach. She would make a poor (now-former) Equalist agent indeed if she betrayed her true emotions at the drop of a hat at every little provocation. But, there was a reason that the woman had been a success at leading a double life for the last three decades.

Her tone bland, she shrugged again. "The Galgori people and the Six are not interchangeable." Her calm, soft voice belied the irritation; she was sick of people assuming her people were a monolith or tied to a ruling body several centuries old. "A vast majority of the population in the United Republic are of at least partial Galgori descent."

The young girl began to cry, and Charumati stifled an impatient sigh. "Now, now," she chided gently, moving a little closer and straightening the girl from her bow. "No need for tears." She reached into her sleeve and pulled out a pressed handkerchief with the monogramed symbols for her name embroidered in the corner, the edges trimmed with delicate lace, and offered it to the girl.

"You wouldn't attract the attention of the Equalists, if they were still around, nor of the Six," she murmured, not unkindly. "Look at the news: all of the targets are prominent individuals — Triad leaders, members of government, probenders, and so on. I don't mean this rudely, but a small artist peddling their wares on a market road in the city wouldn't really make the front pages and aren't an attractive target for whomever is doing all of this."

Gently, she steered the girl back to her seat. "Sit down." The tone was pleasant, but it wasn't a suggestion. "If it's so important to you, I'll say nothing."
This user is from the EF
Anonymous
Feb 20, 2017 5:36:51 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Feb 20, 2017 5:36:51 GMT -6

Cheo saw a twinge of...something that flashed across Charumati's face, and for a moment, she saw her mother, and couldn't stop the flinch when the older woman stood her up straight and offered Cheo her handkerchief. "I'm very sorry," she began, wiping away the tears as quickly as possible. "I didn't mean to misspeak, i just wasn't sure how to refer to the Six. I'm sorry if i offended you." Cheo carefully folded the kerchief back up, taking a moment to admire it. It was easily the most expensive thing she'd held in her hands, and she had a fondness for lace. The monogramming was beautiful, and Cheo absently traced the stitches. She handed it back to Charumati, folded into a flat lotus. "I would very much appreciate it, Charumati. I know it's probably my irrational fears, but it means a lot. Thank you so much." Cheo gave her a soft smile, that was mostly in her eyes.

She stood up straighter, and glanced at the sky. "The clouds are almost here, and i do need to make sure the portraits won't get hit by snow. Once i get the frame, i can get this delivered to your home in about two days." She began taking down the hanging pictures, just as carefully as she put them up, and painstakingly checking them for smudges.
Last edit by Deleted: Feb 20, 2017 6:07:07 GMT -6

Post by Charumati on Feb 20, 2017 7:33:01 GMT -6

Charumati Avatar
Charumati felt herself soften; she was getting sentimental lately, which was starting to bother her. As the young artist began to pack away her belongings, the older woman took a moment to study her.

There was no mistaking that the massive scarred tissue on the girl's face was a burn. The scar was old, but the girl was quite young. Charu would be surprised if she was much old than twenty. To be burned so heavily at such a young age...

Of course, there was the possibility of a freak accident. It wasn't fair to assume that a bender was the cause for the girl's injury. Still, she couldn't shake the suspicion.

Eyeing the clouds warily and noting it was almost the time she told Nirav she'd return, Charumati reached into her wallet again and took out a small receipt from a local noodle joint. She wrote down her address in tight, controlled script and handed it to the artist.

"You can deliver the portrait here," she said. "I am home in the late afternoons during the week, and in the mornings on the weekends. "My nephew is currently staying with me; his grasp of the common language is poor, but I will let him know of the possibility of your arrival."

She paused, then turned, drawing herself up to her full height subconsciously. "Thank you for your portrait, and for stopping me'" she said in her quiet way. "Do you have a business card? I may know a few people who may be interested in your work."
This user is from the EF
Anonymous
Feb 20, 2017 21:30:20 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Feb 20, 2017 21:30:20 GMT -6

The young earthbender accepted the slip of paper from Charumati once she had finished securing her portraits, and listened closely to Charumati's instructions. She smiled when she asked for her card, and reached into her pocket where she kept a small stack.

It was a parchment yellow color, her contact info and artist signature in the top left corner in black script, a fusion of the earth and fire nation symbols designed to look like glowing lava took up most of the right side of the card, and in the bottom right corner it read "Scorched Earth Sculptures, Portraits and Pottery" and below that, Cheo's personal quote 'Scorched earth can still grow flowers'

Cheo smiled as she handed it over, with a few extras. "I designed it myself, thank you for this. I'll be sure not to be a bother if i run into your nephew," She grabbed the handle of her cart and turned to leave, but stopped. "And thank you for not mentioning, well, this." She motioned toward her face. "It was lovely meeting you, Charumati."

Post by Charumati on Feb 21, 2017 13:07:51 GMT -6

Charumati Avatar
OOC: Feel free to PM me if you want to continue the RP in a new thread for a different day; I can't see Charu waiting much longer as she has obligations to take care of but I'm definitely up for another encounter if you are.

She gave the artist a rare smile as she read the caption underneath the business card's title: scorched earth can still grow flowers. It was obvious that this had a personal meaning as well, and Charumati had to admire their resilience. The way they had flinched earlier, combined with the burn scar on her face... Charu's gut feeling encouraged her to think this was a bending-related injury, and as they were very clearly not a firebender it was impossible to be a self-inflicted accident.

And really, people like this artist should also be considered; she highly doubted that whomever gave her that injury had been prosecuted or jailed. Just look at all the crimes the Triads committed, and until the Equalists came along to strip them of their bending they were never, ever, punished. If society would just take benders off that blasted pedestal where they could do no wrong...

The artist thanked her, and Charumati returned to reality. She inclined her head. "You are most welcome. I look forward to the arrival of my portrait."

Eyeing the clouds, she glanced at her pocket watch. She would have to catch a cab in order to make it home on time. She stepped a few paces away from the artist's stand and flung out her arm. A passing taxi stopped and she climbed in; with a little wave to the artist, she gave the driver instructions to her home and sped away.
This user is from the EF
Last edit by Charumati: Feb 21, 2017 13:08:16 GMT -6
Anonymous
Feb 21, 2017 14:40:32 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Feb 21, 2017 14:40:32 GMT -6

(OOC: yeah, that'd be awesome. Their contrasting history and personalities are really fun to bounce off each other)

Cheo waited until the taxi dissapeared from her sight before turning back to her cart and heading home. She had a serene look on her face, and she began humming the same old rebel anthem when she arrived, as she left the street. She couldn't wait to deliver this portrait, she had a very auspicious feeling about meeting Charumati.