The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Galgori Plot Questions (by Ruckus)

Anonymous
Dec 12, 2016 20:47:59 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 12, 2016 20:47:59 GMT -6

When Yawai finally hits these streets, she'll likely be investigating the Galgori (whether she wants to or not!). I guess my big question is how I should plot the fringes? Naturally, Galgori are far reaching, shadowy manipulators, so Yawai would likely look in the broad daylight to find their hands.

Are the Galgori going to have people like, and I use this a an analogy, Spectre or Quantum from bond.? A lot of ingrained people in power, but a lot of acolytes and handlers at the baseline level, keeping eyes out for those looking.
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 12, 2016 21:30:04 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
ruckus Avatar
When Yawai finally hits these streets, she'll likely be investigating the Galgori (whether she wants to or not!). I guess my big question is how I should plot the fringes? Naturally, Galgori are far reaching, shadowy manipulators, so Yawai would likely look in the broad daylight to find their hands.

Are the Galgori going to have people like, and I use this a an analogy, Spectre or Quantum from bond.? A lot of ingrained people in power, but a lot of acolytes and handlers at the baseline level, keeping eyes out for those looking.

Yes and no. Right now, we're in the baby stages of the plot and we're still trying to get the ball rolling on that. Right now the Galgori Six are all shadows and smoke; any investigations would turn up 100% dead ends. There are, however, some plot NPCs: @monks and @messenger. Have a read of our plot NPCs announcement for more details (:

In the future, however (without revealing too much ;x) we will have a much more aggressive Galgori Six presence including eyes and ears, secret agents, and the ilk. They will be a mix of player-characters as well as plot NPCs.

As a reminder: investigation of "the Galgori" will turn up almost every nonbender in the United Republic & Earth Kingdom. ;)

Does this answer your question?
This user is Mod
Last edit: Dec 12, 2016 21:31:50 GMT -6
Anonymous
Dec 12, 2016 21:41:53 GMT -6 via mobile

Post by Deleted on Dec 12, 2016 21:41:53 GMT -6

Pretty much.

In most PI stories, especially hardboiled noir mysteries, the PI rarely gets much off the first plunge into a mystery other then getting noticed by the very thing they were investigating. It would make sense that Yawai would poke around and come with dead ends, but she would poke around regardless of knowing the likely result would be coming up empty handed.

She will likely be one of the cynical sort that thinks most of this is just ghost stories and superstitious conspiracy theory.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 12, 2016 21:44:16 GMT -6

Glad I could help!

Of course, she could always start with the last known link to the Galgori oligarchy: the Monks of Koh. (:
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 12, 2016 21:46:24 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 12, 2016 21:46:24 GMT -6

I was thinking that, actually.
Anonymous
Jan 4, 2017 11:13:07 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 4, 2017 11:13:07 GMT -6

So,

Yawai is now getting involved with cases, and in the case of 'An Ear Against The Door' soon be treading through the Republic City underbelly. I intimated my desire that much of Yawai's connections, and their impact would be at Admin discretion.

My question here is this: how do we want to play Yawai's connections, and, this next question doesn't have to be answered, but should I expect Galgori cabal influences going forward?

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jan 4, 2017 19:59:27 GMT -6

Eventually.

Be prepared also for a timeshift also, moving from fall/winter > winter and a major plot event.

Since this is the second time you've asked a plot related question regarding the Galgori, however, I have branched your posts & the responses to them into a new thread. The Galgori Q&A, as specified in the opening post, are about the Galgori as a people, not as a plot device, and is intended to help those writing Galgori characters.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jan 4, 2017 20:02:13 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jan 5, 2017 6:56:49 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 5, 2017 6:56:49 GMT -6

Thanks for generating this as a thread Kami, I wasn't sure whether I should've created a new one or posted in my One and Koh thread, partly because I'm still unsure of the Galgori concept itself and how to navigate it going forward. I may not be playing a Galgori, but I will be playing with Galgori players. I realize that my question was posted in the wrong area, but I wasn't entirely sure where else to post it. My apologies.

When are we to expect the time jump as a board?

Or is that to be kept close to the admin chest for now?

Lastly, I proffer the idea of asking an admin directly for what my character's connections will generate, and work within the framework given back to me. This could be a feasible mechanic for how Yawai's sources work and how useful they are, I come to one of you for the details, and you kick back what you want. I play to that.

Would this work?

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jan 5, 2017 16:07:48 GMT -6

I'm so scatterbrained today, I got on at 11AM to respond to this and it's now 2PM. Whoops, sorry.

Timeshift should happen within the next few days, just hammering out a few last details. You'll find most of our time shift / announced events occur on weekends, as that's when Gia and I tend to have free time.

Playing with Galgori characters has nothing to do with the plot necessarily. Almost all nonbenders in the United Republic are part Galgori. I hope this doesn't come across as aggressive, but you need to stop thinking that "playing with Galgori characters" is plot related. I would hope you wouldn't automatically assume that playing with characters of Fire Nation descent automatically means you're part of any plot involving the Fire Nation ruling class, and the same is true of the Galgori.

Can you clarify what you mean by "the Galgori concept" as I'm not sure what you are referring to. Based on the words you used I don't understand what isn't clear: the Galgori are a race of people; the Six are a group of leaders, which is all covered in our Plot page. Is there something specific regarding the Galgori as a race that is presenting an issue? Or the Six as the ruling class?

edit;; the plot info pages have been edited to use the term "the Six" as the proper method of referring to the Galgori ruling class, with a specification that "Galgori Six" is used if one is unfamiliar with who the Six are or what nation they originated from.

edit 2;; as far as plot stuff directly involving yawai, please PM me or as requested in the opening post of the first thread this was posted in. I really need to emphasise at this point that you follow directions. If you want to talk about your OC's direct involvement in the overarching plot, then you need to PM a staff member.

Mod Squad Avatar
If you have plot related questions, please PM or .
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jan 5, 2017 16:50:55 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jan 5, 2017 17:18:30 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 5, 2017 17:18:30 GMT -6

Understood. Will do. And thanks.

By Galgori Concept, I guess I mean the fact that they are there, and apparent. It's an original creation specific to this board built into the Last Airbender/Legend Of Korra history, so I guess I'm just trying to rectify it with my character.

Don't worry about answering. I don't intend to pursue this further. I'll just keep reading the plot page and role playing through until this clicks.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jan 5, 2017 17:43:50 GMT -6

While I appreciate you trying to make this easier on me (I presume), it is my job to reply to these posts.

I don't really feel there's a particular need to "rectify" it with your current character or any future characters. While the Galgori have affected our forum we've intentionally made it so you don't need to know TARP's history in depth in order to play. The gist of it is:

- they exist
- they were colonised by the fire nation
- they revolted and settled in the earth kingdom / fire nation colonies
- because the colonies became the united republic, nonbenders by and large are of partial galgori descent

They should be treated like any other ethnicity on the forum; the Galgori no longer have a homeland for their own but everyone knows about them.In essence, they are diaspora.

Is there something in particular about this history that needs to be reconciled with Yawai's history? The Galgori as a people aren't some sort of shady organisation or mystery group, which is why we make a distinction between them, and the Six.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jan 5, 2017 17:45:56 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jan 5, 2017 18:27:39 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 5, 2017 18:27:39 GMT -6

Thanks for the answer.

I guess what I'm trying to rectify is whether Yawai has a sense of guilt that both the Galgori and the Air Nomads are blood on her peoples' hands. She doesn't encounter Air Nomads for obvious reasons, but she would encountering the Galgori people daily; would what happened to the Galgori be something that the modern day Fire Nation be doing reparations towards at all? And would Yawai be aware of this?

If so, she may react more sensitively to those who identify with their Galgori heritage or culture, especially if she feels her people are trying to make much needed amends, even if it was for actions that took place well over a hundred years ago. I don't want her to be suspicious of every Galgori potentially being a part of The Six; she might have a harsh disposition, but I'm trying to play her as being more prone to compassion and still dutifully in line with her old country at times.

I'm sorry, I know I may not be making much sense, and I realize I haven't been particularly clear about what I'm asking. I just wanted to know what exactly the Galgori history and Yawai's present mean to each other. In a sense, I guess I'm asking the cliché thespian question - "What's my motivation?"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jan 5, 2017 19:20:23 GMT -6

ruckus Avatar
Thanks for the answer.

I guess what I'm trying to rectify is whether Yawai has a sense of guilt that both the Galgori and the Air Nomads are blood on her peoples' hands.

Why should she? Serious question, not in an antagonistic way but I want you to think about this motivation and the purpose it serves. The Galgori were enslaved and colonised literally almost two hundred years ago. Could she have stopped it? Why would she take personal guilt / responsibility for the actions of the ruling class of people hundreds of years ago? Was she alive back then to make a difference? Yawai does benefit from the current subjugation of nonbenders that partially stemmed from the Galgori and Air Nomad genocides, but the whole "blood is on her peoples' hands" would only make sense if Yawai considers herself to be a spokesperson for the Fire Nation as a whole. Is she arrogant enough to think so?

ruckus Avatar
She doesn't encounter Air Nomads for obvious reasons, but she would encountering the Galgori people daily; would what happened to the Galgori be something that the modern day Fire Nation be doing reparations towards at all? And would Yawai be aware of this?

It's not necessary at this point to consider the actions of other nations as we are not certain if we will be expanding beyond the URN's borders. If Yawai wishes to personally make reparations then she is welcome to by being an activist, donating to the Monks so they can keep their facilities running, and so on, but beyond that I'm not really sure what I can say.

ruckus Avatar
If so, she may react more sensitively to those who identify with their Galgori heritage or culture, especially if she feels her people are trying to make much needed amends, even if it was for actions that took place well over a hundred years ago. I don't want her to be suspicious of every Galgori potentially being a part of The Six; she might have a harsh disposition, but I'm trying to play her as being more prone to compassion and still dutifully in line with her old country at times.

As per the Plot, being of Galgori descent is really inconsequential. Even Charumati, at the age of 53, doesn't particularly identify with her Galgori heritage (despite her pro-nonbender activism, because she feels solidarity with all non-benders regardless of whether or not they have any Galgori heritage), and neither do her parents (who are in their 80s). In her family, the last people who cared about being Galgori were her grandparents, both sets of whom are dead. Anyone that is Yawai's contemporary likely has very little to do with Galgori culturally, and it's not being Galgori in particular that is responsible for the subjugation that those who are nonbenders face in the current time.

ruckus Avatar
I'm sorry, I know I may not be making much sense, and I realize I haven't been particularly clear about what I'm asking. I just wanted to know what exactly the Galgori history and Yawai's present mean to each other. In a sense, I guess I'm asking the cliché thespian question - "What's my motivation?"

Hopefully this makes more sense. From my perspective "Galgori history" shouldn't actually mean anything to Yawai in the present as far as motivation, unless she believes that she can personally right the wrong of two hundred years ago.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jan 5, 2017 19:23:40 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jan 5, 2017 19:50:26 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 5, 2017 19:50:26 GMT -6

Thank you!

Now I know exactly what the Galgori people are conceptually, and where they occupy in the board's universe, I can move forward.

I know this sounds dumb, because probably most people read the plot and the Galgori write up and had no problems, but for me, there was so much there I probably over thought way too much, so the clarifications were much appreciated. I don't have to explore certain character progressions now because Yawai wouldn't need to explore them to begin with.

I should have no problems going forward, Kami, thanks again.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jan 5, 2017 20:18:04 GMT -6

Glad I can help. If you need any clarification plot-wise please feel free to contact or myself via PM. If you have questions about the Galgori as a people (and not as a plot device), please post in the Q&A thread.
This user is Mod