The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

An Ear Against the Door

Anonymous
Dec 23, 2016 23:18:59 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 23, 2016 23:18:59 GMT -6

The day had been quiet and long. Mei Ling stretched her fingers and then tugged the page free from her typewriter and compared it to the scribbled notes at her desk. The report was not terribly exciting, but it was important work. Plus, the young firebender wouldn't expect many of her coworkers to be able to read the officer's handwriting. Her eyes glanced back and forth, looking for mistakes; yet her attention to detail served her well. She frowned. As much as she enjoyed her work, being a sort of ear pressed against the door of the city, days like these made her feel tired. She preferred to be busy.

Her golden eyes glanced about the open hall around her. She had a bit more privacy than the front desk, being positioned perpendicular to the main doors, but she only had a short, paper partition between her and the desks to either side of her. Though Mei Ling was just a scribe, she was occasionally asked to fetch records for visitors or direct them to the proper location. It did mean she could often see the people who came in and out, whether it was arrests, petitioners, or even the occasional disgruntled citizen. As of now, though, it was rather calm. A few visitors sat on benches, reading papers or otherwise gazing at walls or clocks.

In that moment, she lifted a hand and felt the charm necklace beneath her stony gray tunic. Unlike the metalbending police, her uniform was made of sturdy cloth. She slid her fingers under her collar and lifted the necklace into the open. By now, she'd gotten used to the somewhat bizarre weight of the four tiny charms. The bone and glass were light as air and soft as silk, but the wood and platinum chips felt heavy as lead. The platinum was the hardest to get accustomed to: its rigid right angles sometimes bit into her skin, leaving L-shaped marks.

Words long-memorized swam in her mind: Not all can be bent. Not all can be unbent.

Mei Ling grazed each charm one after the next, then again. Sure, any trace minerals could be bent from the bone, or perhaps water from the wood, but there was nothing to do for the glass and platinum, and the meaning was not lost on the young woman. But the note meant more, she was certain of it. Whether she would ever know what that might be was a different story.

The doors to the main hall swung open with a bang and startled her. She hastily slipped the necklace back under her shirt and stood, long ponytail swaying, to view the interruption. Her coworkers beside her had also stood, though those closest to the doors were already returning to their business. Mei Ling watched them approach; the group was made up of a number of police officers, as well as a few detectives, leading a woman in. She wasn't cuffed, so Mei Ling wasn't sure if she was under arrest or not...

Until she recognized her as Ms. Hono, and she bit back a smile. The bangs gave the woman mostly away, but one of the detectives in the group did the rest. He'd been dragging the poor woman in with increasing frequency lately, and at one point (or maybe more than one) she overheard him discussing her with a wistful tone. Some of her coworkers joked that the arrest warrants he made were actually attempts to ask her out. But Mei Ling had read some of the reports - for every "loitering" charge, there seemed to be an "obstruction of justice" or "destruction of RCPD property" charge to match. The woman was about as loose cannon as it got, except she was allowed to do so, considering she wasn't a cop. Sure, she got arrested every now and then, but Mei Ling understood the woman to be a better investigator than just about anyone else in the city.

With a jolt, the firebender came to a sudden realization. The group's voices overlapped and she couldn't make out what was being said, but she had a sense that it was now or never. Mei Ling began filing her papers away and gathered her belongings. Her shift was about over anyways - no sense in waiting around longer than necessary.

Minutes later, clocked out and tidied up, the young firebender stood impatiently beside one of the benches, waiting for the investigator to return (and secretly hoping the woman wasn't about to be booked). She forced herself not to pace, but instead breathed deeply in and out to calm herself. She could only pray that the woman would take a minute - just a minute - to listen.
This user is a former member
Anonymous
Dec 24, 2016 2:00:14 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 24, 2016 2:00:14 GMT -6

"You're a loose cannon, Yawai!"

Detective Urashima violently thrust a finger at a stony faced Yawai, who, furrowed a brow at the use of her first name.  Had he no manners?  This man that seemed to find every conceivable and inconceivable reason to haul her into the station seemed incapable of simple social graces.  At least this time she wasn't in cuffs.  No, no cuffs, but still plenty embarrassing.  This whole thing came about because of an old acquaintance that owed her some Yuans finally made good and paid her back.

Yes, they were in an ally way.

Yes he was a man ten years her senior.

Yes she was a woman taking his money.

No, this was not a solicitation of any kind.

Urashima and his torpedoes didn't seem to care and dragged her in, but not her acquaintance.  This meant Urashima didn't think she was actually doing anything unlawful, but was trying to get her off the streets for some reason again, something Yawai noted, but didn't understand the reasoning behind.

It made no sense that Urashima would be trying to protect her, or even give her a safe place to sleep for a night.

Did it?

Yawai tucked her thumbs into her obi, letting a breath of air pass through her teeth, lips parting for a soft tsk.

"That is much too informal, detective, I am Ms. Hono to you, NOT Yawai."

Urashima almost looked struck, but recovered, red in the face and fuming.

"If I catch you doing anything so unseemly in the open again, Ruckus, I'll throw the book at you, and the cell keys out the window!  This town is bad enough without people like yourself causing an upheaval or in this case, lewd business transactions, and-!"

That, was crossing the line.  Yawai blushed, her oft calm, and steady exterior gave way to flustered anger. Still, she kept her tone controlled, but the bite of steel was evident as she cut Urashima off.

"I was collecting a debt, detective.  Nothing more.  What you imply is insulting, outrageous, and scandalous.  I have explained myself thoroughly, and you have no proof I was doing anything unlawful or indecent.  This is harassment, and slanderous.  I will not be disparaged any further."

Silence followed as the two stared each other down.  Finally, Urashima waved her off.

"Get out!  But keep yourself spotless, Hono.  If you even look a speck dirty, I'm having you brought down and booked in.  Got me?"

In reply, Yawai scoffed, turning on her heels, she marched away from Urashima and his cadre.

Urashima sighed.

"She's so gorgeous when she resents me..."

The constables  around him, having watched everything transpire, simply face palmed or groaned  aloud.

Yawai was trying to calm herself down.  She wanted to punch a wall...or even catch something on fire.  Not having an immediate outlet for either, she chose to firmly stamp each of her steps out on the floor as she huffed loudly.  Was she ever going to catch a break this year?  She'd even changed venues of late. Turning down Kuu Lin.  Trading Shen's for a Saloon suggested by a local practice. Yawai was still coming up with no fish on the hook.  She couldn't do right making all the right choices.

She almost walked into Mei Ling.

The young woman was standing near a rather familiar bench to Yawai; on several occasions, Urashima had her cuffed to said furniture by her ankles to keep her from trying to leave before questioning.

Yawai, despite herself, smiled at the bench and then turned her attention to the young woman.

"I beg your pardon!  I almost bumped into you just now.  Please excuse me..."

Yawai made to leave...when...
Last edit by Deleted: Dec 24, 2016 10:20:17 GMT -6
Anonymous
Dec 28, 2016 11:17:25 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 28, 2016 11:17:25 GMT -6

Mei Ling glanced up at the wall clock, back down to the floor, promptly forgot the time, and glanced up at the clock again. She had to get herself a wrist watch one of these days… She caught herself pacing, too, and stopped herself in her tracks, irritated. She couldn’t remember being so impatient. It’s not like the exact hour or minute really mattered, and despite her fluttering steps, she wasn’t actually going anywhere. One way or another, she still needed to wait on Ms. Hono.

So instead of waiting like a firebender, she closed her eyes for a moment and decided to pretend she was an earthbender. She imagined her feet settling into the hard floor like roots burrowing down into the earth, and shifted her center of gravity to her heels. She tried to quiet and clear her mind, so that she would be focused instead of flighty. With every inhale and every exhale, she visualized the word patience…

Until she opened her eyes to see Ms. Hono right in front of her. She gasped in surprise and took a step back to avoid getting run into.

“I beg your pardon! I almost bumped into you just now. Please excuse me…”

The graceful woman moved to walk away and Mei Ling shook her head quickly to clear it from shock. “I’m sorry, Ms. Hono?” The young woman sidestepped to try to stay even with the investigator. She didn’t know exactly how to not look foolish, so she decided she didn’t care. She bowed deeply out of respect.

“My name is Mei Ling Song, and I work here. I wanted to see if I could take just a minute of your time…” She stood there anxiously, hands clasped together. “I was wondering if you could help me.”
Anonymous
Dec 28, 2016 17:51:04 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 28, 2016 17:51:04 GMT -6

Mei Ling Song?

Mei Ling Song...

Mei Ling Song!

Finally, Yawai had a name to this woman's face, a face she'd made note of over the last nine months between stays at the station when Urashima kept dragging her in on loitering or alleged indecent exposure charges; Yawai had pegged Mei Ling because several office workers and policemen in the station had made her the subject of their longing, distanced glances as well as twitterpated mutterings. She was definitely pretty, which normally translated into a form of haughty confidence and self importance, but not this woman, no, not Mei Ling Song.  There was less bravado in her body language, making her seem slightly withdrawn to Yawai, and more of someone influenced to action out of will or courage.

Yawai's impression of Mei Ling Song was that she was brave daily, careful by the moment, and bold only when it was called for.

Just an impression.

But Yawai had come to trust her own reads over the years.

Also of note...

Mei Ling looked to be of Fire Nation stalk, but Yawai wasn't certain.  Something about the shape of Mei Ling's eyes reminded Yawai of her mother's eyes, a kind, and vulnerable look.  Yawai had her father's eyes.  Stern.  Unflinching.  Unwavering. Harsh.  One would have thought him a grim and cruel man if not for his gentle demeanor.

Much to Yawai's regret, she'd inherited the disposition of neither of her parents. She oft felt she was a bit too rigid to others at times. Yawai shook herself from reverie at the words: “I was wondering if you could help me.”

Composing, Yawai made sure to bow deeper then Mei Ling. Then she stood at full height and stuffed her thumbs between her obi and Tsumugi, giving Mei Ling another appraising eye before tossing her hair, bangs laying somewhat clear of her brow and eyes now.  She managed a polite and soft smile.

"A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Ms. Song.  How can I be of service?"
Last edit by Deleted: Dec 28, 2016 17:53:15 GMT -6
Anonymous
Dec 29, 2016 14:46:49 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 29, 2016 14:46:49 GMT -6

Mei Ling realized that she hadn't actually seen the investigator up so close. Of course, Ms. Hono's eyes were mostly hidden behind a sheet of black bangs - from afar, it almost looked intentional, like a cap's brim pulled low to hide one's brow; but so near, it seemed to certainly be by accident. She also hadn't realized how tall Ms. Hono was. Fully straightened up, Mei Ling was still several inches shorter, and her shoulders tended to hunch as it was. Compared with Ms. Hono's formal posture and the layers of clothing she wore, the young woman must have seemed quite tiny indeed.

Still, she felt a rush of relief when the woman actually stopped and gave Mei Ling her full attention. At least she hadn't felt a sense of intimidation, as she had earlier that week meeting the woman at the newsstand. It was odd how two strangers could have such similar traits and leave such dissimilar impressions.

Ms. Hono bowed deeply (almost so deeply it would be funny, had Mei Ling not felt so solemn) and flicked her hair from her face after she resumed her posture again. There... Two sets of golden eyes met one another, and the younger woman felt a sort of connection to the elder. Facial features aside, Ms. Hono could have been a young version of her grandmother, in another universe: the Fire Nation heritage displayed itself quite clearly through the tone of hair and skin, the sternness of posture quite possibly learned on the archipelago. Then again, Republic City was a melting pot. Anyone could be from anywhere these days.

Still, Ms. Hono's smile was kind. "How can I be of service?" she asked.

It was now or never. Mei Ling swallowed and it felt like a ball of rice was stuck in her throat. "Thank you. I'll only take a minute of your time. Please - could we walk?" She gestured toward the doors, where there was more evening air and fewer prying ears.

She took her first few steps slowly, trying to think about how to start. She'd just have to jump into it, really. The woman was a private investigator - the worst she could do was say no, right? "I'm looking for my older brother." The weight of her necklace was distinct and unnerving on her collar, as if it didn't want to be hidden. "I understand that you're a private investigator, and you deal with these kinds of cases, but..."

But what? she had to ask herself, and Mei Ling shook her head, eyes cast down to her feet. She couldn't start thinking so negatively. Otherwise, she'd never find him. She looked back up at Ms. Hono, trying to force back the anxious thoughts. "Well, he's been missing for a very long time, and nobody seems know who he is, much less where he might be..." Her lips tightened and she pulled them to one side, avoiding a frown and she tried to keep them from quivering. No, she wouldn't cry... she'd trained herself too well to do that in front of a stranger. But it didn't stop her from feeling sad. "I'm just not sure where to turn. I don't want to give up on him, but not even the police knows. I was wondering if there was any way you could help me."

She tried to keep eye contact and ended up looking away, out at the sky where the sun was starting to set. It was hard as ever to talk about him, but all she could do now was say a silent prayer to the spirits that Ms. Hono might just say yes.
Anonymous
Dec 29, 2016 17:18:23 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 29, 2016 17:18:23 GMT -6

Work?  From out of the RCPD?  Yawai fell in next to Mei Ling, ears open and ready to receive.  No doubt, this was going to be interesting; Yawai had never taken a job from anyone working in the station, typically as a rule...but Mei Ling, if her suspicions were correct, was Fire Nation in heritage somewhere.

Her mother's words rang clear.

"The Fire Nation is more than culture and society, it is blood, family, living history that you are a part of.  Always help family, Yawai, always..."

There was a pregnant pause as they walked slowly towards the doors.  Yawai understood that most clients tended to take a moment to organize their thoughts before they presented them.  A case was a guarded thing, to present even the smallest details were often agonizing because they were by their very nature private, intimate in fact.

So Yawai waited, but to her surprise, didn't wait for very long.  Ms. Song dove right in.

"I'm looking for my older brother..."

Yawai's jaw set tight at that.  Missing persons.  It was oddly her specialty.  She had found quite a few "lost" people, and found the darker depths behind their disappearances too; these were never easy, let alone pleasant cases, and only one of them felt like a true triumph.  The Flicker Street Case and the Cult House at the center of it...how that whole thing ended had been one of the most rewarding, proud moments of her life.

She'd saved a life...a young one, from an awful fate.

Yawai would succeed at finding others that were missing again, but the state they were in, what had happened to them were the stuff of nightmares. Her Nightmares.

"I understand that you're a private investigator, and you deal with these kinds of cases, but..."

Mei Ling was familiar with her work.  Good.  But What?  Mei Ling looked into Yawai's face, and Yawai found her world, what was left of it these days, being torn the rest of the way down.  It was a look, that conflicted look.  Not expressing anything but tenuous control, because to express any one of the potential emotions held back threatened to express all of them at once.

It couldn't be? Not again.

"Well, he's been missing for a very long time, and nobody seems know who he is, much less where he might be..."

Yawai was steel. She repressed a wince.  Barely.  A part of her screamed inside.

It was Shiraga all over again.

That case continued to haunt her steps, taking on different forms and faces.  Kuu Lin's was grief and insanity...this, this proposition from Mei Ling Song...what was this going to be, what was this going to manifest in the form of?  Yawai listened regardless, trying to ignore the pounding in her chest.

"I'm just not sure where to turn. I don't want to give up on him, but not even the police knows. I was wondering if there was any way you could help me."

Opening her mouth, Yawai prepared to speak, but stopped, watching Mei Ling stare into the evening sunset.

Yawai composed, took a breath, and opened her mouth to say no.  She wasn't doing this to herself again. Never again.

"Yes.  I can help you, Ms. Song.  What can you tell me about your brother?"

Who needed their own little world anyway?
Anonymous
Jan 2, 2017 11:21:02 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 2, 2017 11:21:02 GMT -6

"Yes. I can help you, Ms. Song. What can you tell me about your brother?"

Mei Ling almost wanted to fall over herself with relief. Was it appropriate to hug and kiss a total stranger out of gratitude? No, she thought not, but it didn't stop the idea from bursting in her brain. She instead allowed herself to smile, teeth and all, and turned her gaze from the sky to her acquaintance. "Thank you, Ms. Hono. Thank you." She dipped her head, grateful. "And please, call me Mei Ling."

But now it was time to face the music, and it took the Song woman a long moment to recall the brother lost so long ago. The roar of Satomobiles was very slowly beginning to fade as more of the day workers drove home for the evening, but the sound was a calming rumble. Well, if you could tune out the shrill a-WOO-gah of the occasional horns.

"His name is Koichi Song," she began, putting her hands in her pockets, "And he was the earthbender on the Armadillo Lions starting about 8 years ago."

She recalled the day he left home - beaming, nothing more than a pack on his back, little else to lose. She recalled the headstrong optimism and pride contrasting with the silent worry etched in lines on her parents' faces. At that time, the worst a bender had to worry about were the gangs. Or, at least, that's what Mei Ling had thought at the time. There was little talk of antibenders or Galgori or Amon... then again, perhaps she had been cleverly shielded from such topics.

But that wasn't the relevant part of the story. "We got letters from him for a few years. Listened to some of his matches on the radio. They were an okay team, not anything special..." she shrugged and caught herself before she went off on a tangent. It was hard, talking about him like this, trying to keep the few facts she had straight. "But about 5 years ago, we stopped hearing from him. It took a couple of months for us to get the news that his team had disbanded. The papers and the radio had just stopped talking about them. We couldn't figure out why."

Mei Ling remembered Yuji's remarks as the time had passed. Even then, her little, nonbending brother had started to show how bitter he was towards the whole thing. "His fault," he would comment, looking his parents in their tearful eyes, "depending on a stupid bender game. He probably got on the bad side of one of the gangs. Everyone says they run the show anyway." At the time, she couldn't believe him - but maybe he'd been right.

"Nobody seemed to know who he was or what had happened. We tried to write his teammates and the probending league chairs, but nobody answered. There wasn't anything in the papers, either. He just... vanished."

She looked out again, this time surveying the bystanders on the streets. Here, drinking tea over a faded book. There, holding hands with a friend, or perhaps partner. They seemed so relaxed and stress-free. Mei Ling couldn't help but feel wistful at the sight. "I mean, I moved here to try to look for him, but it's like he barely existed. I haven't even found any police records for his name." On second thought, she probably shouldn't have shared the last bit of information - but knowing Ms. Hono and her own law-bending tendencies, the young woman could only assume she wouldn't mind.

She sighed. "I mean, the most I've learned is that he might have had a girlfriend." Mei Ling looked up at Ms. Hono, concern furrowing her brow. "Is that even important?" The harder she tried to think, to recall the words that people spoke, the weaker her grasp became on her memories. "I just don't know what else to do except trying to ask people... But it's like nobody knows..."
Anonymous
Jan 2, 2017 20:35:29 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 2, 2017 20:35:29 GMT -6

"I mean, I moved here to try to look for him, but it's like he barely existed. I haven't even found any police records for his name."

That was something. 

It wasn't uncommon for Pro Benders to sign wavers and disclaimers before taking on the potentially injurious sport full tilt. By law, they had to go through a physical battery, and pass very stringent standards; those were kept on file at the league headquarters, with two additional copies stored with the board of health and the RCPD.  That was six years ago though, until the law was repealed three years later in favor of being more "inclusive" to older athletes looking to break into the sport or for retired players to make a comeback to it. But even during those times before the repeal, the documentation could be glossed, or sometimes even bypassed if the Pro Bending bookers were trying to fill a seasons worth of Pro and Amateur games quickly.

Unlawful practices that RCPD turned a blind eye to. It was perhaps the reason no documentation could be found on her brother.  Another thought came to mind.  Koichi could have played under an assumed name...

"I mean, the most I've learned is that he might have had a girlfriend..."

Oh?

"Is that even important?"

Oh, yes it is!

Arena Rats never forgot a man from a team, often enshrining their lives around them;  Yawai could think of several people and at least three establishments right away where she could go to find them.

"I just don't know what else to do except trying to ask people... But it's like nobody knows..."

Yawai stepped in on the pause in Mei Ling's recitation.

"Somebody knows, and I think I know a place full of many somebodies who could have known your brother, maybe not as Koichi though."

Turning to Mei Ling, Yawai nodded presently.

"Two questions..."

Taking a deep breath, Yawai flicked her bangs again.

"Could you describe Koichi to someone in detail?  Facial features, tone of voice, mannerisms, sense of dress, those sort of things?  And..."

Yawai leaned in a little.

"If you can, it would be convenient if you came with me to do so...that being said, the places we will be going to are, how should I put it? Private, exclusive, cloistered places; one would not know they were there unless they happened upon them by chance or were formally invited.  So, would you be willing to step behind the curtain with me on this one Mei Ling?"
Anonymous
Jan 3, 2017 16:51:57 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 3, 2017 16:51:57 GMT -6

Ms. Hono stopped her, which surprised Mei Ling. “Somebody knows,” she began, and Mei Ling’s heart skipped a beat. “…maybe not as Koichi though.”

The younger woman furrowed her brow in confusion. Not as Koichi? She hardly had time to ponder what that was supposed to mean when Yawai went on, asking whether Mei Ling would be able to describe her brother. No, she didn’t ask her to then and there, she simply wanted to know if Mei Ling could. She froze, thinking. Sure she might be able to… so long as they were looking for a description from almost a decade ago. Then again, he was a fully-grown man when he’d left home. He wouldn’t have changed that much, right?

“I think so,” she said softly, with a nod. Still, she couldn’t quite work out what Yawai meant. It was like she was implying that Koichi would hide something from her. Well, not her specifically – more like the entire city. It was as if she thought he might hide something as important as his name. But she was almost certain that Koichi had been mentioned by name during his matches they’d heard on the radio… right?

But then Yawai leaned in conspiratorially, and Mei Ling felt her sense of relief start to fade, and anxiety fill its place. “Private, exclusive, cloistered places...” Some might find those words exotic, mysterious or enticing. The firebender thought more of shady characters, selfish intentions, dangerous shadows. It didn’t exactly enthuse her; she’d spent the last two years avoiding those sorts of places. “Would you be willing to step behind the curtain with me on this one, Mei Ling?”

She was torn. On the one hand, if it could truly help the two of them find her brother, she absolutely would jump in. On the other hand, if it only increase the chances of getting a lead, she wasn’t so sure. Nowadays there were far too many prying ears. If you were to ask the wrong person a question about a bender, you might just end up beaten and robbed blind in an alley on the end of the city. But perhaps the reason she hadn’t gotten anywhere up until this point was solely because of the fact that she didn’t take those risks.

Mei Ling bit the corner of her lip, trying to figure out how to say what she wanted to say. “I… I guess I’m just not sure why…” she trailed off, still trying to form the proper words, “why you would want me to go. I’m… I’m not really a fighter or anything.”

Her eyes gazed up, back into those of Yawai’s as the young woman searched for meaning. “I’m not saying I won’t, but I’m not really sure how I’d be able to help. I mean, I'm not even a cop." Even if some people thought she was. Especially those who might remember seeing her at the station - for whatever reason, there were a lot of citizens who associated any government worker with metalbending police. She was about as far as it got, but it didn't stop her from taking flak for her officer coworkers.
Anonymous
Jan 3, 2017 18:23:36 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 3, 2017 18:23:36 GMT -6

"I'm not asking you to fight, and I know you are not an officer of the law; I will not endanger you, this I wholly promise.  But I do need this here."

Yawai pointed to Mei Ling's forehead, indicating her mind, her memory.

"And this here."

And Yawai pointed to Mei Ling's chest, indicating her heart, perhaps the memories the heart keeps.

"The last time I involved myself fully into an investigation like this, I made the grave mistake of not bringing the most important person along; the person who's loved one was missing.  They had nothing to lose and everything to gain by going with me...I still succeeded, but it was at a cost I will never pay again.  Mei Ling,  I will show you how someone can disappear into this city after being in the public eye.  You said your brother was a pro bender, Yes?  His name would have been openly mentioned on broadcasts, and his name would have also been on a list somewhere in some sort of document.  Contrary to popular belief, pro bending doesn't throw out the cards for its nightly agendas.  Somebody has these...also..."

Yawai paused, grabbed a Yuan out from behind her obi and sidled near the street waving it.  She kept her eyes on Mei Ling's the entire time.

"This next part might be hard to accept.  If your brother disappeared into thin air and his name with it to the point that few people seem to remember, then it is indicative of two things other than a span of long years fading peoples memory, neither of which two things are pleasant to consider, mind you..."

A Satomobile started listing from one lane to the other, the driver of the taxi spying Yawai's fluttering monetary note.

"There's either been fowl play, and one of the Triads covered it up very thoroughly, or..."

The Satomobile horn honked, its driver sneaking up to the curb and slowing down to a halt.

"...he's in hiding.  I mentioned the name change idea earlier purposefully for this reason.  Something could have happened and he needed to disappear, to reinvent.  This could also be Triad related, politically motivated, or the result of shame of some kind...maybe even about fiscal solvency.  Regardless, he may have reached out to the exclusive sector and had favors made to erase his name from as many things as possible...(sigh) if only there was a way to record radio..."

Breaking eye contact finally, Yawai reached through the Satomobile window, handing the driver the Yuan, then reemerged, tucking her thumbs back into her obi.

"White Rabbiroo."

She said to the driver, getting a wide eyed reaction from him, then a cautious nod.  Yawai turned to Mei Ling again, face serious and stony.

"Where we are going, we can ask questions without raising eyebrows or getting unwanted attention; you just have to be willing to take in a side of this city few choose to acknowledge, but are somewhat aware of.  You won't be in danger, I will be perhaps, but I guarantee your safety, and finding answers of some kind."

Turning, Yawai opened the back passenger door of the Satomobile, then faced Mei Ling yet again.

"After this, we will go to the Pro Bending arena armed with some sort of knowledge gained, I hope, and I will leverage my last remaining source there..."

Pause.

Yawai made her next words have tremendous weight, the sincerity of tone, the steel of her wide, golden eyes...only yes or no could follow what she was about to ask Mei Ling.

"This begins right here or ends right here with you, Mei Ling.  Are you coming?"
Anonymous
Jan 4, 2017 21:02:08 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 4, 2017 21:02:08 GMT -6

The private investigator's explanation began, which Mei Ling had to admit she appreciated. She nodded in affirmation about Koichi being a probender. At least she didn't feel quite as much like she had hit the bottle a few too many times - she couldn't help but feel relieved that someone, anyone, would discuss him. No, Yawai didn't know the man, but at least she was willing to try.

But then the older woman attempted to hail a taxi, stepping towards the street and lifting a yuan from her belt. "The next part might be hard to accept..." she began calmly as a taxi approached.

Mei Ling's heart sank. She didn't realize that Yawai would want to begin right there and then. Perhaps it was that important to the lady, or maybe she was that desperate for a case to work on... The fluttering yuan reminded Mei Ling that she still needed to pay rent. Would she even be able to afford this woman's rate?

"There's either been fowl play, and one of the Triads covered it up very thoroughly, or he's in hiding."

Mei Ling began to think, and think hard. She tried to slow her breathing rate, taking steady inhales in and exhales out, to ease her pounding heart and try to focus. Rationally, she knew this was the best chance she had. She opened her eyes and met Yawai's, gazing from one to the other, looking for any lack of sincerity, for any reason to not believe that she wouldn't keep her safe.

But emotionally, she was so frightened. "This begins right here or ends right here with you, Mei Ling. Are you coming?" What if there were anti-benders wherever this woman took her? What if it was all one big mistake, a trap?

But it only took her one more breath to know that she had to take the risk at some point. She nodded. "Yeah, I'll come."

She stepped up, ready to follow Yawai up into the depths of the city, a place she might not have dared go before.

[ooc - not sure how you want to approach this - I know a time shift is coming up soon, and I'm not sure we'll fit both destinations in before that happens. Any thoughts?]