The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

A Distant Rumble

Anonymous
Dec 17, 2016 15:18:14 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 17, 2016 15:18:14 GMT -6

Torana was just glad a few monks came out for the supplies to help her unload. They were nice, but their faceless presence left her slightly more unnerved. Yuji was also someone she chose to ignore and accept his help with. Something about him made her want to punch him when he spoke.

After she rolled the coat racks onto the dock, she dusted herself off and took a moment to catch her breath. Working in the cold actually made her feel warm.

"My mother will likely support more drives with her friends," she told Yuji after a cough to clear her sinuses. Again, she did not look upon him. "I hope it's not me that draws the short stick next time... No offence... It's just as dangerous for the innocent, harmless benders around these parts as it is for nonbenders."
This user is a former member
Anonymous
Dec 19, 2016 20:01:01 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 19, 2016 20:01:01 GMT -6

The nonbender had to admit, as he turned his attention back to the Monks, that he was glad for their presence. The one Monk he spoke with nodded in response, and a few of them tilted their heads in a smile. Well, perhaps they weren't smiling, but Yuji had come to associate the gentle motion with the gesture. For strangers, deciphering the silent motions of the Monks seemed impossible; but for many of the regulars like himself, it was fairly straightforward. Behind the masks, their silence really only took three regular forms: smile, neutral, and interested.

Though neutral was the hardest to read, interested was by far the most ominous.

A Monk appeared with a scrap of paper, giving a comical little bob almost in apology. Yuji took the stained scrap and inclined his head as the Monk explained. "Thank you." So Miss Angry was supposed to be there after all - this organized chaos turned out to be the fault of a fellow volunteer. He crumpled the note in one hand as he looked doubtfully at the shipment. "A bit more than rice, there..." he muttered.

In any case, Bangs Lady seemed to take the hint. Yawai bowed once again in response, and apologized for the intrusion. "...with hope, all this means is she found a friendly roof other than the one I see here." At least she was polite enough to call it friendly. Most would have taken the opportunity to give some tongue-in-cheek remark or witty comment, but the investigator turned on a heel with grace. Yuji didn't answer, but instead let the woman walk away, a Monk trailing after her like a shadow.

He felt a hand fall on his shoulder, and for a second thought it was Miss Angry. But when Yuji glanced over, he saw the brown robes and blank mask of another Monk, solemn and cold. The words came as soft and gentle as always, but brought a warning, as clear as day.

"Do not allow her entry again."

The young man dipped his head, the message resounding in him as goosebumps erupted on his arms. He physically shivered and kept his head down. "Understood, kind one," he said, uncharacteristically demure. "I can pass on the message to the others." Yuji would much rather be the person to turn Yawai away than be the woman and somehow get back in. No, the Monks never seemed to take any direct action, but under their roof, their word was law, and each volunteer and patron was the enforcement.

And just like that, it was as if nothing had happened. The Monks bustled here and there, and Yuji's breath frosted in the morning air. He turned back to Miss Angry, who had just pulled out the Water Tribe coats and was brushing herself off. She mentioned her lack of desire in coming back to the soup kitchen. "It's just as dangerous for the innocent, harmless benders around these parts as it is for nonbenders."

Yuji wasn't sure he believed that, in all honesty. Sure, benders might be innocent, but harmless? No, he thought, not unless they didn't bend at all. But he swallowed his pride, bit back his comment, and stepped up into the truck to grab two sacks of rice and heave them onto his shoulder. "No offense taken," he said simply, "but most benders around these parts won't agree with you. Most nonbenders won't either." He slung the rice into the hands of a waiting Monk, and went back for two more.

"I mean, don't get me wrong, I've known plenty of non-violent benders." He passed along the next two rice bags and sighed, setting his cold hands on his hips as he watched Miss Angry for a moment. "But, like, what's the point of doing this for her if you're that afraid of us? You trying to inherit the company or something?" He shook his head, not really understanding, and lifted a crate of fresh fruit from the truck bed.

It was strange - in the country, children were usually desperate to go see the world, even if they ended up coming back home when they grew up. In the city, though, it seemed like there was an expectation to follow in their parents' footsteps, whether they liked it or not. Even one of the most famous nonbender families, the Satos, were just the same. He grunted as he set the crate down and straightened up to look back at Miss Angry, adjusting his cap. "It's not like she's forcing you to do it."
Anonymous
Dec 19, 2016 20:48:17 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 19, 2016 20:48:17 GMT -6

The Monk nods their acceptance of the volunteer's words. They disappear into the throng, the bustle of the other Monks covering their departure as if they had never been there in the first place.

Inside, three Monks gathered in a secret upper room. They peered out of a nearby window, watching the activity below and the investigator beating a hasty retreat. They glance at each other. How interesting... how very interesting indeed. The other Temples would be notified immediately.

The shortest Monk of the three made their way downstairs, passing the young volunteer and scarred young woman on their way out. The Monk slipped a little piece of paper into the volunteer's pocket without pausing, for him to discover when he was alone. Your help was invaluable, he would discover the note to say. The Monks have recognised your work.

Then they left, the throngs of people in the streets unconsciously (or consciously) parting to let the Monk pass through their midst unaccosted.
Last edit by Deleted: Dec 19, 2016 20:50:47 GMT -6
Anonymous
Dec 19, 2016 22:50:11 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 19, 2016 22:50:11 GMT -6

Torana pondered that thought. It was a personal question and one she never talked about. Yet here she was, out in the cold with a perfect stranger.

"I... I have nightmares," Torana began to explain. "...of when I was attacked. And I left the city to get away from it all, because I could not deal with the fact the city was not the shining gem my parents raised me to believe it was."

The tone in Torana's voice went from crass to soft and distant. Her stare into the cityscape was like looking through something that existed in another plane.

"Agni kais wanted me to blow a probending match for them - so they could make big credits. But I refused... Wolfbats went on to the championship match because my team couldn't find a replacement for me," Torana shrugged off her feelings by stuffing her hands in her pockets as if looking for something. "...I had a hard time coping with what happened to me. Still do. Mom dragged me from Omashu, where I learned to tinker and sculpt, and make things using steam and hydraulics... she makes me do things for her if I want to keep at my art."

Torana turned her head to look upon him with understanding. "It is unfair that most nonbenders are only paid enough to get by. I know that because I only spend what I make as a welder at Cabbage Corps' airship plant... So I do her bidding, knowing she's doing something political, because the only thing I find peace in, is my art."

Why of all foul things in the Spirit World, did she just tell him that? Torana did not know. And visually appeared confused by it.
Anonymous
Dec 21, 2016 20:01:10 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 21, 2016 20:01:10 GMT -6

Miss Angry paused for just a moment after his question. Had Yuji been 5 years younger, he would have audibly groaned. But, instead, he was an adult, so when he turned his back to grab a sack by the handle, he rolled his eyes. Here it comes... he thought to himself, resigned. This day was just full of action and excitement and wonderful, thrilling tales. He should have stayed inside and served breakfast like a good little helper.

The scarred woman began stern as ever, but grew softer as she spoke. "...I could not deal with the fact that the city was not the shining gem my parents raised me to believe it was." The truck was reaching a point where it was close to fully unloaded, but Yuji knew he'd be listening to this story until its conclusion no matter what. The crowd of Monks were clearing out, but a few of them still lingered to help. He let them do so and shoved his hands back under his apron to keep him warm. At least he understood what she meant: a dozen years ago, a young adult might think that Republic City was a beautiful cove with golden treasures to dig up and little secrets to discover. But these days it was just a cave, black as ink, with ever-shrinking tunnels to trap the most naive of them.

He listened to her tale of woe and had to mentally force himself not to clench his teeth in annoyance. As if she was better than anyone else in the city, she was just so noble that she had to refuse the big, bad gangs... And he simply didn't believe her when she said her mother made her do things. He didn't even know if he agreed that all nonbenders weren't paid enough. It wasn't that they all made lower wages doing the same work; there were just far more jobs for benders, and the highest-paid nonbending job was chump change compared to what benders could make. Even the worst-paid probender made the average salary of a nonbender.

"So I do her bidding, knowing she's doing something political, because the only thing I find peace in is my art," she concluded. Yuji lifted his eyebrows and waited for a moment, but it looked as if Miss Angry was finally finished. In fact, she seemed baffled, as if she'd given away too much... which she had, of course, though Yuji had the tact not to mention it.

"I think you're missing my point," he said, trying to keep his voice patient. He shifted his weight and leaned against one of the loading dock walls. "If you already have a job, why tie yourself to your mother at all? What, does she dig up the clay for you? Or are you just putting up with it so you can live in a cushy, rich house rent-free?"

Yuji stretched his neck idly from side to side, yawning. None of it really affected him, of course, but it was interesting to hear her responses. "I mean, how is that any better than taking a bribe to throw a match?" He shrugged and held up a fingers to illustrate. "I mean, one, you have to do something you don't like or agree with, like throwing a match or running political errands. Two, you get something in return, like money or free room and board. And three, you don't have to give up doing something you enjoy, like your art or like probending, if you had thrown the match, I mean."

He shook his head, brow furrowing, and crossed his arms beneath his apron again. "Maybe I'm just a nonbender and I don't know any better, but explain to me how what you're doing is any different. No wonder you have a hard time dealing with it: you set yourself up to relive it." Sure, Yuji scrounged for jobs and volunteered the rest of his time. He didn't exactly make a living. But at least he wasn't a slave to the petty whims of the rich and the bending-abled. At least he was free to do as he pleased.