The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

A Well-Brewed Tea

Anonymous
Nov 9, 2016 11:56:43 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 9, 2016 11:56:43 GMT -6

Not all can be bent.

Friday evenings had never seemed to fill Mei Ling with the joy that her coworkers experienced. Perhaps it was the fact that she genuinely enjoyed her job, and a weekend meant more time on streets that felt more dark and tense by the day. However, this particular week had been especially stressful, and Mei Ling left the station feeling almost grateful as the sunlight began deepening into gold. Still wearing her work uniform, the plain jade-green of a non-officer, she slung a hooded cloak over her shoulders to cut back against the cooling air and set off in the direction of home. Though the autumn weather had been fair so far, she always seemed to feel a chill in the evenings lately.

It was a long walk home with little to distract her from her disturbing thoughts. So much violence, she thought as her feet pounded a quiet rhythm on the pavement, her eyes glancing here and there, keeping aware of her space. So much hatred. She ducked into a side street, shoulders high but eyes cast down, and sidestepped what looked like a scorched pile of paper. Most likely nonbender rights flyers. At least a dozen new cases this week of bender on nonbender attacks, and half of the attackers had the same story. “They came after me and my family, what else was I supposed to do?” Despite this, only one nonbender was arrested, and Mei Ling could not bring herself to believe he was the only perpetrator when he was released later that day.

Step, step, step, she glided along, passing a manor that had somehow gotten a pair of trees to grow in its front garden. Their leaves were gold and green and half in shadow in the dying light. Her feet crushed the fallen ones but she kept her pace.

Not all can be unbent.

The platinum chip of her necklace, the only charm with sharp edges, poked her collarbone as she walked. The name Galgori was on the lips of ever more people she met, both criminal and civilian, but she’d learned there would be no discussion of it at the station. But without proof, without a face to the name, it was all allegation, all smoke in the wind. Her knuckles brushed today’s newspaper, neatly folded in an inside pocket of her cloak. It was only half-read, but she knew what it would say: yes, are still a few crazies out there, but nonbenders have nothing to fear! No reporting on the disappearances or the constant turmoil or the whispers in the air…

Mei Ling was suddenly overcome with the feeling that home would not make her feel safe tonight, and she slowed to a stop, goosebumps prickling on her arms. Resolving to get herself a treat tonight (even if she could only just afford it), she moved a few storefronts down and approached Watashi’s Restaurant. She’d been a few times before, and in all honesty was a bit surprised to find it still intact. Bending family-run businesses had recently become less popular, for one reason or another. Still, she was grateful to find a place where she knew she wouldn’t be alone. The sunlight now long-hidden behind the crowded buildings, she stepped through the threshold and into the warmth of the restaurant.

She was still a bit early for the dinner rush, so she picked a spot at the end of a booth and pulled back her hood, being careful not to nudge her ponytail loose. She wasn’t particularly hungry yet, but she could use a well-brewed tea, and glanced around the room for a waiter or waitress that might assist her. Perhaps she could meet one of the Watashis tonight, get her mind off of her troubling thoughts…
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Nov 9, 2016 11:57:28 GMT -6
Anonymous
Nov 9, 2016 12:51:56 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 9, 2016 12:51:56 GMT -6

Ichiro walked out of his office. He and Ami had been talking about one of the newer employees that they had hired. She had gotten a minor complaint from one of their patrons. It didn’t seem like a big deal, but nonetheless, he felt it was good to touch base with Ami, and he agreed to talk to the employee in question tomorrow. They also needed to talk about who they were going to have as another permanent assistant manager. Ren’ai was currently running a few shifts a week to help them out. They had promoted someone after the new restaurant opened, but they quit a couple of months later. That left them back in the same spot that they were before.

Ichiro wasn’t sure about promoting Ren’ai permanently because she tended to wear her emotions on her sleeve and had a bad temper. This made her a bad choice for assistant manager, despite her experience and skill. He had expressed these concerns to Ami, and they promised to talk about it later. Ken was another option they were considering. He had a much better temperament, and was also skilled as a server, but lacked some of the experience. Yuri could be another choice, and she had the experience, too, as she had worked as a delivery person before becoming a server. Daisuke, another server, was also on the table. While Ren’ai was doing the job now, she knew that was no guarantee of a permanent spot.

Ichiro let out a sigh as he started making his way around the restaurant. He would deal with the issue of a permanent another manager later, and worry about running his shift right now. He watched as the hostess sat a young woman down at a booth table in Daisuke’s section. He didn’t worry about it until he noticed a couple of minutes later that Daisuke wasn’t going to the table. As if reading his mind, he came over a moment later and walked up to him.

“Hey, boss, can you go and talk to that one top, please?” Daisuke said, pointing to the lone girl. “My six-top is being needy, and that’s incredibly annoying as we’re not even that busy. As soon as I finish dealing with them, I will go over to her.”

Ichiro nodded. “Sure thing, of course,” he said. “You worry about your big table, and I’ll get a drink for your one top.” Daisuke gave him an appreciative smile, and he made his way over to her. “Sorry for that wait, ma’am,” he told her. “I’m the manager, Ichiro. Daisuke, your server, will be with you as soon as he can. Can I get you something to drink?” He would, of course, take her order if she already knew what she wanted. It was, after all, his job to help out and make sure that things ran as smoothly as possible at all times.
Anonymous
Nov 9, 2016 14:55:36 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 9, 2016 14:55:36 GMT -6

The chatter of the group at the other table was soothing – at least there was a bit of noise, an almost meditative hum. No eavesdropping for her, but there was no real crowd, and just the presence of others was calming compared to the darkening streets outside. Even without turmoil of recent months, it was a wonder that anyone would choose to wander alone at night when they could be inside, in places like this. Mei Ling watched her hostess vanish and allowed her eyes to wander, settling on the nearest window. The light was fading from the sky, and the streetlamps had come on.

Mei Ling didn’t mind the brief wait. She stared around with her ochre eyes, taking slow, deep breaths, practicing mindfulness. The stress of her day slowly started melting away, though her shoulders still felt a bit tense. It was like she could never get rid of it… She watched as the server paused his rushing about to speak with a man who must have been a manager, and gesture in her direction. The man nodded and approached.

He was tall with dark-toned skin and deep blue eyes – perhaps of Water Tribe descent? She saw his ponytail, quite possibly as long as hers, and smiled. “Sorry for that wait, ma’am,” he said politely. He introduced himself as Ichiro, and asked what she’d like to drink.

“It’s not a bother,” Mei Ling said softly, “I’d love to start with some tea.” For a beat, she considered him, then continued.

“I believe I met Mr. Watashi once. He made me the best ginger tea one time and I haven’t forgotten it yet.” As she spoke, she tried to remember… It had been quite a while since she’d been here, and the thought concerned her, seeing how much younger this manager, Ichiro, appeared. The man had always been kind to her, had always found love for his work and his customers. But it had been so long, and there had been so much change in the city with the anti-bending sentiment about… “Does he still work here?”
Anonymous
Nov 9, 2016 19:15:21 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 9, 2016 19:15:21 GMT -6

Ichiro was glad that the young woman didn’t seem bothered by the wait from Daisuke as she smiled at him. It wasn’t his fault that the other table was taking up so much of his time. You never knew when a customer would make a big deal about waiting for a few minutes when they weren’t actually that busy. However, there were sometimes extenuating circumstances, for instance when a table ran you around because they saw that they could. Daisuke was a pro, though, and Ichiro didn’t mind helping. He was just glad that Daisuke had asked instead of making her wait.

The young woman ordered tea, and he was about to go and get it for her when she continued talking. He listened to her as she asked about the previous manager. She almost looked concerned, and the Waterbender wondered what she was thinking. He gave her a smile. “You must be talking about my father, Kohaku” he said. “I get that a lot.” He did, after all, run this restaurant for about fifteen years. “We opened a new restaurant some months back across town, and he and my mother moved over there to run. My mother, Setsuko, was the chef here prior to then. They and my grandfather agreed to give me this restaurant.”

Ichiro had indeed gotten that inquiry quite a bit from their patrons who, like her, had been there before. They wondered if his father had retired, or something like that. He didn’t look a thing like his father, who was born from an Earthbender, so he wasn’t surprised that this young woman didn’t recognize him. After all, he took after his mother, the Waterbender, and she had spent most of her time in the kitchen. “I can’t promise that my ginger tea is as good as my father’s, but if you wish, I can make it for you nonetheless. I promise I will do best to replicate his.”
Anonymous
Nov 9, 2016 20:09:46 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 9, 2016 20:09:46 GMT -6

Ichiro smiled in response and Mei Ling felt herself relax. He explained that the Mr. Watashi she had met was, in fact his father.  Which was reassuring, in a way. He most likely wouldn't be so calm if something had happened to his own blood. Still, she was pretty happy to meet the next generation of Watashi. She would have to get the address of the other location and pay Kohaku a visit sometime soon.

He then extended her his humble offer. "I can't promise that my ginger tea is as good as my father's..." She grinned and responded cheerfully, "I'm sure it will be just as delicious."

She gazed after him as we went to prepare her drink, then took stock of the restaurant. There was still only the six-top, who seemed taken care of well by the waiter despite their neediness. Perhaps Ichiro would have a few moments to sit and speak with her. Mei Ling was already looking forward to it by the time he returned, tea fragrant and steaming.

"Thank you," she mused, taking her cup delicately.  The heat was wonderful. Though she knew the troubles of the city waited outside, the restaurant almost felt like an oasis, if only for a little while. She remembered the last time she'd been here: she'd spoken so long that her tea went cold, and she had heated it gently back up with her bending. Nowadays, she wasn't sure if she dared.

She looked up at Ichiro eagerly. "I know you're working, but do you have a few minutes to chat? If it gets busy, feel free to ditch me," she laughed, "but I'd love to talk if you could." She hoped to ask a little about his family, if possible, and perhaps see how the restaurants fared given the state of the city.

Mei Ling sipped her tea and hummed with satisfaction as its warmth spread through her. "Truly wonderful," she commended, and took another drink. "If you'd like, I can tell your father his is better," she joked with a wink, and settled herself a bit deeper in her seat, cupping her tea.
Last edit by Deleted: Nov 9, 2016 20:11:22 GMT -6
Anonymous
Nov 10, 2016 16:06:46 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 10, 2016 16:06:46 GMT -6

Ichiro made his excuses, and walked off to make her drink. He ran into Daisuke in the back, and assured him that the young woman was fine, that he shouldn’t worry. He quickly made the ginger tea, before heading back over the table. “Here you go,” he said, setting the cup in front of her. He smiled at her as she thanked him. He was about to tell her that Daisuke would be right with her when she spoke up first. She wanted to talk, and asked him if he wanted to sit down with her a bit. He smiled charmingly at her again, and nodded his head towards her in agreement.

“Of course.” He slid into the booth across from her. “That is one the big perks of this job. I get paid to talk to the people. Among other things, of course,” he said. “The job is more that, but that is one of the things that I like most is being able to talk to different people, meet new people.” Ichiro had always enjoyed that about being a server. Yes, he had gotten into the restaurant business because he had been born and raised into it. However, that was not the reason why he stayed. He genuinely enjoyed what he was doing for a living, and he wouldn’t choose anything else.

“Thank you,” Ichiro said as the young woman compliment his tea. She said that she was willing to tell his father that his tea was better, and the Waterbender gave a deep chuckle. “I’m sure that would make his day.” He could tell by the wink it was a joke, but nonetheless, he honestly thought that his father might enjoy hearing that someone preferred his tea. “By the way, what is your name? I don’t think I heard.”
Anonymous
Nov 11, 2016 7:58:35 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 11, 2016 7:58:35 GMT -6

For a moment it seemed as if Ichiro would turn away again, but then he settled down across the table from her, smiling quite attractively. ”That is one of the big perks of this job. I get paid to talk to the people.” Mei Ling’s eyes met the man’s, and it warmed her that she believed him to be sincere. Service (especially sales- or customer-oriented) was not a job that just anyone could do, and fewer still performed it gladly. But whenever she found those lucky few, she always found them kinder and more patient than most, more humble in the work they loved. ”I agree,” she smiled, ”and I’d probably feel the same way, in all honesty.”

Ichiro even accepted her compliment with grace – some might brush it off, and some might boast, but his focus was on his father. Mei Ling was impressed… and then he reminded her that she hadn’t introduced herself. Her jaw dropped and she clapped a hand to her mouth. “Oh, I’m sorry – I’m just blabbing away…” She knew she hadn’t offended him, though, and extended her other hand across the table to shake.

"My name is Mei Ling Song, and it’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Ichiro. Please, call me Mei Ling," she said brightly. Though she normally spoke more formally to those she just met, in this case she felt they were close enough in age that such formality could probably be put aside for the time being. And if he felt it was more appropriate to go by their surnames, then she would be glad to accommodate.

“If you don’t mind me asking,” she began gently, “how long have you lived in the city?” Mei Ling knew it would be impolite to pry too deeply into this stranger’s life, but perhaps Ichiro could give her some insight into the city. It wasn’t particularly rare to find people who had lived a vast portion of their lives here, but many of them were older. It seemed as if her generation tended to branch out more… but, perhaps, that was her own desire to travel speaking.
Anonymous
Nov 16, 2016 18:29:53 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 16, 2016 18:29:53 GMT -6

Ichiro smiled at her again as she said that she agreed with him, and that she’d probably feel the same way. “Believe it or not, I met my ex-boyfriend here while I was working,” he said. “He was addicted to my mom’s noodles, I think.” It was true. Tadashi had loved his mother’s noodle recipe, and had even complimented Ichiro on his cooking when he’d made dinner for him. He did, after all, use the same recipe since he had been taught to cook by his mother when he’d been younger. He wouldn’t go so far as to say that he was a good a cook as his mother was, but he’d cooked for a few people before and never had anyone complain. At least that was something, right?

The young woman seemed honestly shocked when he told her that she hadn’t introduced herself. He waved off her comments about her babbling away, because he enjoyed talking as well. “It’s a please to meet you, Mei Ling,” he said pleasantly. The Waterbender always enjoyed meeting someone new. He was a bit surprised by the next question she asked him. She wanted to know how long he’d lived in the city. He wasn’t sure he had ever been asked that before, but maybe that was because most of the patrons here had seen him around for a long time. Some even since he was a little kid.

“I’ve lived here my whole life, actually,” Ichiro responded. “I was born here. My mother moved from the Northern Water Tribe when she was young. She got a job here as a cook, and of course my father worked here.” He gave a shrug of his shoulders, a small smile on his face. “I had never left Republic City until this summer when my mother took my father and I to the Northern Water Tribe so we could see where she was from, where part of me is from.” It had been a wonderful trip, too, and while he was glad to be home, it had been definitely worth seeing.
Anonymous
Nov 16, 2016 20:59:53 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 16, 2016 20:59:53 GMT -6

Ichiro discussed his ex's noodle addiction, and Mei Ling had to laugh. "I'm not sure if he just came for the noodles," she joked, winking innocently, "But I'll have to try them sometime. If they're as good as your father's tea..." She toasted her cup to him and took a drink.

The man went on, and she was surprised to hear that he'd lived in the city his whole life. "I never left Republic City until this summer when my mother took my father and I to the Northern Water Tribe..." he said with a shrug. Mei Ling's heart lifted emphatically. It would be an amazing journey, even without the discovery of national heritage. She'd read a lot about the North Pole, and one day wished to go... but now was not the time to talk about it.

"It sounds like it was incredible," she replied. "I've heard it's a beautiful city. But I'm sure it doesn't compare to home." She smiled and nodded her head vaguely around the restaurant. The sense of security lingered and she knew she'd have to go for it.

"Are you a waterbender then? I know there are some incredible bending masters and healers in the North Pole." Mei Ling shrugged, then looked back up at Ichiro's rich blue eyes with her own golden ones. "I mean, I'd probably try to meet a firebending master if I ever made it to the Fire Nation."

She took a sip of tea and glanced outside, though there was little to see in the growing dark. "Of course, if there was any time to travel it would seem to be now. What with everything that's been going on." She sighed, feeling her necklace heavy on her chest. Of course, Mei Ling couldn't just up and leave now. Not enough money, for one thing, and too much going on for another.
Anonymous
Nov 21, 2016 18:38:51 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 21, 2016 18:38:51 GMT -6

Ichiro gave a deep chuckle as Mei Ling said that the noodles hadn’t been why Tadashi had come. “Well, the noodles were the reason,” he told her, “at least at first.” In fact, Tadashi hadn’t even been to the restaurant that much, due to obligations with his ailing grandmother as well as being an Air Acolyte. He remembered Tadashi coming back in, craving his mom’s noodles, after months of being away. That’s where he had asked him out. However, that was about a year ago. Tadashi had disappeared without a trace, and he honestly didn’t care anymore.

Ichiro nodded as Mei Ling said that the trip must have been incredible. “It is a beautiful city,” he agreed, “but I missed being way from home and work so long. My dad was about to go nuts.” The Waterbender shrugged his shoulders. “I mean, I’m glad I got to see it, you know? It’s part of who I am, and I could tell that my mother missed everyone. She was happy that they got to meet my father and me.” He got to meet his grandparents, his mother’s brother and sister, as well as their spouses. He had cousins, nieces, and nephews! “It was a little overwhelming, honestly. I mean, I met so much family in such a short time. It was crazy.”

Ichiro was glad to have done it, though, and he wouldn’t have changed it for anything.

He nodded at Mei Ling’s comment. “Yes, I am a Waterbender,” he said. He was a bit confused at her comment about there being bending masters and healers in the North Pole. That was true, but it didn’t mean that there weren’t any in Republic City. The city was huge. “I already have a Master, though. He’s been training me since I was a kid. I haven’t seen him in a while, of course. I’ve been busy with the restaurant. I’m sure there has to be a Firebending Master in the city somewhere. It’s a big city, after all.”

Ichiro had never heard of one, of course. The Firebender he was closest to was Ren’ai, and any training she had was from her father, who was also a Firebender. There was no telling if he was a Master or anything like that. The Waterbender could only imagine that as long as Republic City has been around, a Master had to have moved from the Fire Nation at some point like his had from the North Pole. He didn’t know for sure, though, and she could very well be right.

Ichiro was then brought out of his thoughts by Mei Ling’s next comment. She made a comment about this being a good time travel with everything that had been going on, and she gave a sigh. He had to admit that things were a bit scary right now, especially as a bender himself. He understood where was she was coming from, but he had a life here. He wasn’t planning on leaving. “Travelling is nice, but I like home,” he said. “I would miss this place if I left, despite everything that’s going on.” Not that he would begrudge anyone else for leaving, of course.
Anonymous
Nov 28, 2016 10:59:30 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 28, 2016 10:59:30 GMT -6

Ichiro laughed again. “Well, the noodles were the reason, at least at first.” He seemed to take on a wistful tone. While Mei Ling was curious, she didn’t want to pry too deeply. After all, it was his ex, which meant as much fun as it might be to reminisce, he was still a part of Ichiro’s past. She sipped her tea and listened as Ichiro described the North Pole.

“It is a beautiful city, but I missed being away from home and work so long,” he admitted, and went on to talk about how he met a large part of his family. In that way, Mei Ling was also jealous. Unlike the waterbender, it wasn’t clear where her extended family even lived. While she had been born and raised in the Earth Kingdom and met a few of her relatives, the Fire Nation was quite distant to her. Even if she did one day make the trip, she had doubts whether she would even know her family if she saw them. Her Fire Nation grandparents had settled in the Earth Kingdom, but Mei Ling had always been under the impression that they were not longer in contact with that half of the family. Still, it was his adventure, not hers.

“I can’t imagine,” she said with a smile. “My family’s a bit spread out, so it’s hard to get everyone together in the same spot.” Mei Ling found it hard to picture little earthbenders and firebenders running between the legs of red- and green-garbed adults. “It sounds like it was a lot of fun, though."

She drained her teacup as Ichiro started discussing his Master, and he mentioned offhand that there must be a firebending Master nearby someplace. “It’s a big city, after all.”

“It is,” she nodded, agreeing, “though, to be fair, I’m not sure I’m quite at that level of skill yet.” She laughed but decided not to mention that she hadn’t done any bending publicly for quite a long time, and probably wasn’t up to signing up for classes any time soon.

He mentioned that he would miss the city if he had to leave, which Mei Ling also had to agree with. “Well, we can only hope it won’t be this way forever,” she said brightly. The discussion was getting a bit sad, though, and Mei Ling wasn’t up to discussing the darkening state of the city, not now. “You don’t happen to be a probender, do you? I’ve heard there’s a trend of getting into classical training lately.” She flexed an arm to demonstrate. “Strengthens each punch or something like that.” She tilted her head to one side and appraised him mildly. “You look like you could be one, at least. But I understand running a restaurant is a lot of work, too.”
Anonymous
Nov 30, 2016 19:39:14 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 30, 2016 19:39:14 GMT -6

Ichiro smiled at Mei Ling as she said her whole family was spread out. “Well, my dad was born and raised here. My grandfather moved here when he was young with my grandmother, and I don’t know if he had any more family back in the Earth Kingdom where he came from,” he explained. He couldn’t understand completely where she was coming from because his mother had a clear cut place where she was from – where her entire family had come from. His father didn’t, not so much. He knew that his grandfather had been born and raised in the Earth Kingdom and moved to Republic City after it had been founded when he was young. That was about all he knew. His grandfather and grandmother had never mentioned family back there when he had grown up. Maybe there wasn’t any.

The Waterbender gave her a nod at her comment about it being fun. “It was fun, and also exhausting,” he told her. “It was a long trip.” He smiled at her as she said she wasn’t at that level of skill yet. He wanted to the point that was why you got a Master so that you could be at that level of skill. It was her decision, though, and he really didn’t know her. “Well, if you ever are, and you want to spare with someone, you know where to find me.” He smiled at her again she said that she hoped it wouldn’t be like this forever. “No, I don’t think it will last forever. Nothing does, after all.”

The next question she asked threw Ichiro off guard a bit. Was he a Probender? Apparently, he looked like one. He wasn’t sure what meant, but it was flattering nonetheless. “That’s very flattering, but no,” he told her. “I’m a classically trained bender only and have been since I was young. Two of our wait staff, are, though – Yuri and Ren’ai, they’re members of the Dragon Hawks. During the season, we always have posters up of them to support them. Actually, Ren’ai is a classically trained bender, as well. I don’t think I could ever be one, but thank you for saying so.”
Anonymous
Dec 1, 2016 9:25:43 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 1, 2016 9:25:43 GMT -6

Ichiro began to explain where his family hailed from, and she found it interesting that not only he was born in the city, but his father had been as well. From the sound of it, Ichiro’s grandfather could have been a part of the first wave of residents after Republic City was founded. She nodded, but couldn’t think of much else to say.

However, he did invite her to spar with him at some point. “I just might,” she said with a smile, “though I’d probably ask you to teach me the movements.” She sat back, thinking longingly of the times when she could go to the park early in the morning and meditate with the waterbenders. Joined by a few other nonbenders (or at least non-waterbenders, like her), they all practiced their stances, moving in unison with or without an accompanying orb of water. Nowadays, though, few remained in those early hours. Or if they did still meet up, Mei Ling was too cowardly to join them. “I always liked how it flows – not like firebending or earthbending.”

But then he was discussing probending. “That’s very flattering, but no,” he said, and she nodded, though she had to say she was a bit disappointed. She liked talking to probenders, and not always because of the sport: Mei Ling never knew when she would run across someone who had met her brother, who might have known him… But her heart lifted again when Ichiro mentioned some of his coworkers were probenders. Maybe, just maybe… could Ichiro have known him?

“I don’t think I’d ever be one either, to be honest,” she said brightly. “I have to say, I prefer traditional forms more. At least for me, it’s more…” Mei Ling thought for the word and couldn’t find it, so she gestured vaguely with one hand, “spiritual, I suppose you could say.

“Anyways, I know I’ve heard of the Dragon Hawks before, but I didn’t know they worked here,”
Mei Ling continued, smiling, “and it sounds like you do a good job supporting them. Do you ever go out and watch their matches?” While the firebender herself usually didn’t have the spare funds to afford a ticket, she would occasionally listen to the commentary on the radio. “They’ve been pretty decent the last few years, right? At least, when they can find a waterbender,” she laughed, not unkindly. While most teams did have some turnover in their ranks, she seemed to recall the Dragon Hawks having particular trouble holding down a waterbending third.
Anonymous
Dec 6, 2016 20:06:37 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 6, 2016 20:06:37 GMT -6

Ichiro smiled at her. He found it a bit odd that she wanted to learn Waterbending moves, but supposed that there was nothing wrong with her wanting to learn. He didn’t blame her for liking the way it moved better. Then again, he was probably biased in that regard because it was his element, so of course he liked it. He nodded when she said that she preferred traditional forms more. “I have to agree,” he told her. “I’ve always loved doing the traditional forms. I love Probending, but not doing it. Does that make sense?” He was a big Probending fan, but that didn’t mean that he’d ever want to do it.

“When I’m not working, of course,” Ichiro told her when Mei Ling asked if he ever went to the matches. “I go to every Probending match I can.” That didn’t mean that he got to very often, because he was a workaholic. He spent most of his time here at the restaurant, working. Even before was a manager, he had spent a great deal of time here. When he wasn’t doing that, he was training with his own Waterbending skills. Either way, he was a busy guy. “At the very least, I try to make time for it, you know? I don’t always succeed, but I do try when I get the chance.”

Mei Ling then asked how the Dragon Hawks were doing, and mentioned their lack of a Waterbender. “Yeah, Ren’ai isn’t always the easiest person to get with at times, and since she is the Captain…” He let those words hang in the air. “Last year, I think it was, they made it to the quarter-finals of the tournament, but lost,” he said, shrugging his shoulders. “Then their Waterbender disappeared after that. The sad thing was that he was working out, but who knows what happened. Anyway, they found another Waterbender some months back, and things are going well with her so…”

Ichiro just smiled at her as he shrugged his shoulders again. The restaurant was still a bit slow, though some more tables had come in since he had sat down. He looked around, seeing if there were any warning signs – customers getting annoyed behind the server’s backs, anyone who didn’t seem to be eating, talking about the food with an annoyed or unhappy look on their face. Nothing looked out of place, but he reminded himself that he’d need to go and check everything out soon. Daisuke glanced their way, since Mei Ling was supposed to his table but then went off to another table once he saw that his assistance wasn’t needed.
Anonymous
Dec 8, 2016 9:28:32 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 8, 2016 9:28:32 GMT -6

Ichiro commented that, though he enjoyed watching probending, he preferred the traditional forms for his own practice, and Mei Ling nodded in agreement. "I love probending, but not doing it. Does that make sense?"

"Absolutely, and I'm the same way," she replied. But as Ichiro went on, she knew they loved probending for different reasons. The firebender wasn't the biggest fan of fighting for sport, bending or not. It was good entertainment for sure, but unfortunately too fast-paced and, in a way, violent for Mei Ling to get into it. Plus, it would always remind her of her brother, who at this point had been missing for years...

Something caught her ear as Ichiro discussed the Dragon Hawks' season. "Then their waterbender disappeared after that. The sad thing was that he was working out, but who knows what happened." It sounded as if Ichiro believed their teammate simply left without notice, but given the recent events in the city, with benders seeming to vanish left and right, Mei Ling couldn't help but wonder if it was related. It was a pessimistic view, though, and Mei Ling couldn't bear to think about it.

"I'm glad they found someone. With the new season coming up, hopefully they'll make it even further this year," she said with a smile. "I might be able to catch a few of their matches this year." She watched him double check the restaurant, and realized that it was approaching a dinner rush, and all she'd ordered was tea. And while the firebender had wanted to treat herself, she wasn't sure how hungry she felt anymore. All the talk of probending reminded her of her brother, which was sad enough.

Still, she had to ask at some point, and after a moment's debate on how subtle she should be, she decided to just go for it. "I know it's getting late and I've taken up some of your time," she began, "But I would like to ask you a pretty serious question, if that's all right." She inhaled and exhaled, trying to avoid getting upset, and asked "My older brother used to be a probender. But we haven't heard from him for several years, and it's part of the reason I came to Republic City in the first place."

Mei Ling had to look away, down into her teacup. Her hopes weren't up, not yet, but she needed to ask. "You wouldn't happen to have heard of him? Last name, Song. He was the earthbender of the Armadillo Lions back when they played. I figured... Maybe you might have heard something." She shrugged, trying not to look (or feel) downcast. "It's all right if you haven't."
Anonymous
Dec 9, 2016 20:50:22 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 9, 2016 20:50:22 GMT -6

Ichiro was glad to find someone who understood. While he enjoyed Probending, it seemed rare these days to find someone who didn’t want to do it. He nodded respectfully Mei Ling. He smiled back at her as she said that she hoped that the Dragon Hawks would make it farther with a new Waterbender on their team. “Well, we can only hope,” he said. “This place will be cheering them on anyway.” They always did. Posters were put up the day of their game, and they had a radio out playing the game so that the customers could listen to it. Sure, with the anti-bender sentiment running high, he was sure that some might not like it or feel it was too dangerous. He had nothing to hide. He had nothing wrong, and neither had Ren’ai or Yuri.

Mei Ling then changed the subject, and she got rather serious. He just waited patiently for her to get out what she had to say, but he was more than a bit surprised as she asked about an apparently long-lost brother. He had been a Probender several years back, apparently, but had gone missing. She was looking for him. Ichiro didn’t blame her for being worried, but if he had been gone a while, the Waterbender doubted that she was ever going to see him again. He wouldn’t say that to her, though. He was too nice of a person to be that blunt. Truthfully, he did feel bad, but unfortunately there wasn’t much that he could about it. He wished there was, because she seemed like a nice person.

Ichiro shrugged his shoulders, a sincere look on his face. “I’m sorry, but no,” he said. “The team name sounds vaguely familiar, but I don’t know anything.” He wished that he could tell her something, but there wasn’t anything he could tell her when he didn’t know her. Her last name didn’t sound familiar at all, but most of the time in Probending matches they called out first names. It didn’t matter, though, because he wouldn’t have known anything anyway. That had been a while ago, and he hadn’t known them personally. He couldn’t blame her for trying, though.
Anonymous
Dec 12, 2016 18:53:38 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 12, 2016 18:53:38 GMT -6

Mei Ling had to remind herself to take steady, even breaths. It was okay to feel upset about it - in fact, it was downright natural. But she had to stay in control, and breathing helped her do that. She couldn't say that she hadn't made progress in that area: at one point, she'd break down in tears if she spoke about him, but lately they only came when she was alone and thinking too hard at night. No, being sad was good, but breathing through it was better.

Still, she knew by the look on Ichiro's face that he didn't know. Probably would not have recognized the team name if she hadn't said it, not that she blamed him. Of course, he said he didn't know him. She smiled at him anyway, though she knew it wouldn't look all that genuine. Still, her words were sincere as she said gently, "That's all right. I just figured I should ask anyway." She shrugged.

"Honestly, they weren't that famous of a team. No veterans or anything, and they weren't a team long enough to get too many fans." She swallowed and continued. "I just feel like I should ask people who have lived here a while. I hope you understand."

She nodded her head respectfully and glanced up at the restaurant. A few more people had streamed in, and darkness had fully settled outside. The streetlights had turned on, which Mei Ling found soothing. The amber glow was rarely found outside of Republic City. Though the streets were certainly more dangerous at night, and mist from the bay often became a fog in the darkness, the color of the streetlamps was reassuring. Even on the coldest of nights, the tone made her almost seem warm. Nothing like the pale lanterns from her home town, shaded in an odd, bluish paper, whose light barely cracked the blackness in the evening.

Mei Ling found herself again. "I'm... sorry. I spaced out for a second there." She shook her head, not sure how long she'd been thinking, and looked back up at him. "I am going to have to try the noodles another day, unfortunately. I hope I haven't been a bother, but it looks like it's getting late, and I should probably get home soon. Even a firebender sometimes has to watch her back at night." She gave a smile - a real one this time.
Anonymous
Dec 18, 2016 16:28:06 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 18, 2016 16:28:06 GMT -6

Ichiro saw Mei Ling shrug of his comments of not knowing about her brother, but he figured that it bothered her more than she was saying. In her position, she’d probably feel the same way. Not that he knew anything about that, of course. In truth, the Waterbender had no idea how she felt. He nodded at her comments about needing to ask. “No, I understand completely,” he told her. “It could never hut to ask, right?” He still felt that he couldn’t help her. She seemed like such a nice person, and it didn’t seem right that something like this should be happening to someone like her. Then again, life wasn’t to anyone for any reason.

After that, Mei Ling seemed to go off into her own world for a moment. Ichiro was about to say something when the young woman snapped out of it. “Don’t worry about it,” he said as she apologized for spacing out. “Yes, it is getting rather late. If you’re walking, do be careful. It can be dangerous.” It had been dangerous before all of the goings on lately, but now it was worse. While he told himself not to worry, that didn’t mean that one did need to be cautious while out at night alone by themselves. Especially if they were bender, it would seem, as much as he loathed to admit it.

Ichiro wasn’t surprised to find that Mei Ling was a Firebender. Her eyes were a dead giveaway. They were the same color as Ren’ai’s. He smiled back at her. “Everyone needs to be careful nowadays,” he pointed out. The Waterbender stood up. “The tea is on me tonight. As much as I have enjoyed your company, I am on the clock, so to speak, and do have to get back to work. I do hope to see you again, and if you need anything, don’t hesitate to ask.” He gave her a nod of his head, before turning and starting to make his rounds around to the tables in the restaurant.

OOC: If you don't feel the need to respond, let me know so I can close/archive this. If you do want to respond then, disregard. :)

Anonymous
Dec 19, 2016 21:01:36 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 19, 2016 21:01:36 GMT -6

Mei Ling was grateful that Ichiro had been so understanding. It wasn't every day one came across kindness - nowadays, it almost seemed like no one trust anyone anymore. No one opened their door to a stranger out of fear, or listed to a story without wondering what was in it for them. "Everyone needs to be careful nowadays," he said kindly, then offered to put her tea on the house.

The young woman bowed her head in appreciation. "Thank you, Ichiro. And I truly do appreciate your time. It was good to meet your acquaintance." As the restaurateur turned to leave, Mei Link couldn't help but lay a few yuans in spare change on the table anyways. She couldn't let such good ginger tea go entirely unpaid for. She figured she'd be back some time, but she was a bit too proud to allow herself to walk out of a joint without paying. It's a tip, she told herself, as she stood up from the booth.

Ichiro was nowhere in sight as she passed out the doorway into the night. She pulled her hood back up over her long hair and set off back down the road, cloak fluttering in her wake. Ichiro Watashi had been wonderful company, but she had to admit it was a bit silly to think he could remove the worry from her mind. He was about as likely as the glow of the streetlamps to solve her problems... But Mei Ling would not give up. She would not give up hope out of fear. She wouldn't let herself become reclusive from despair.

Not all can be bent.

A chill wind slipped in under her hood, and seemed to make the charms of her necklace feel especially cold. She shivered and used one hand to clasp the cloak more tightly to her chest. Her ochre eyes ignored the shadows in the alleys, and she blocked out the whispers of sound made alien in the darkness. The distraction of Watashi's served her well, but her week came trickling back in bits and pieces, supplementing the fresh thoughts of her brother. Mei Ling considered the mysterious note, written in neat hand atop the necklace she now wore.

No, she would not give up. Step, step, she flitted along, steadily making her way back home. There was still hope and kindness to be had, even today. She had a whole weekend to process her thoughts, to think and to listen, to calm her mind. She had to be calm - if not for herself, for her job. She would do good work. She would not believe she wasn't making a difference.

Because if she didn't, who would?

Not all can be unbent.