The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Lunch or Death

Anonymous
Nov 8, 2016 22:05:19 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 8, 2016 22:05:19 GMT -6

Akane took a deep breath, giving a sigh as she filed the papers together. She wanted to go to lunch, but she still had a few more things to do before she would be able to leave her desk. Working in the Probending department was awesome, as it gave her a chance to stay with her favorite sport no matter what she was doing. Probending was her life! She lived, breathed, and she worked it, too. It was what she loved, and in her opinion, nothing else came close. Besides, maybe when her Probending career was over, she had this to fall back on and could move up, becoming a sideline reporter or something. This way, she always had a backup plan in case something happened. Besides, being a Probender wasn’t a permanent career.

Akane sighed as she finished the last of her paperwork and then got up from her desk. She had chosen to wear a pair of black pants, and paired with a blue blouse. Her hair she had left half-down, part of it down and the rest pinned up in the back of her head. She walked over to her boss, telling him that she was going to lunch before turning away. She made her way to the cafeteria, hoping to snatch a dessert. They always went first, and the cooks refused to make more, so she had to get their early to get one. She hurried and got in line, not paying attention if anyone got in line behind her.

Akane randomly grabbed some food, before she came to the desserts. One dessert left. Reaching out, she felt her hand collide someone else’s. Looking over at the person, she smiled. “Sorry about that,” she said politely. “Why don’t you go ahead?” She gestured towards the dessert. Really, she shouldn’t be eating it anyway. While one dessert wouldn’t hurt her, she did have her career to think of it. It was probably better if she just didn’t take it. It was less tempting that way.

This user is a former member
Last edit: Nov 8, 2016 23:18:41 GMT -6

Post by Charumati on Nov 9, 2016 20:32:20 GMT -6

Charumati Avatar
Lunch at work was always a quiet affair. On a normal day, Charumati would have created a box lunch the night before. It would have been a two-tiered affair: the top box, filled with rolled omelette and seaweed-wrapped rice balls filled with salmon, carefully stacked atop the second box, which was filled with rice and some sort of protein — green curry, perhaps, or shrimp tempura. She would then bring the box to work, wrapped in lovely patterned pastel cloth. Come lunch, she'd carefully unwrap her food and eat at her desk.

Unfortunately, her outing the previous night had severely cut into her lunch prep time and Charu was forced to purchase her food from the workplace cafeteria.

Standing sedately in line, well aware of the looks of surprise (she was no stranger to the office gossip about her reclusivity), the tall woman chose instead to focus on her task. She picked up a few meagre portions — a bowl of rice, a plate of fried mackerel, a small bowl of miso soup — and made her way down the line. Right before the cash box was a dessert section: only one serving of chocolate pudding was available, a small dollop of whipped cream resting on top of it. Feeling it would be a good way to wrap up an otherwise lacklustre lunch, she reached for — only to bump hands with the person in front of her.

Sorry about that! a rather small (from her perspective, anyway) brunette girl said. Why don't you go ahead?

Charumati inclined her head slightly in acquiescence. "Thank you," she said in her quiet way, adding the pudding to her tray. The girl looked vaguely familiar... perhaps one of the editors' assistants? Admittedly, she wasn't familiar with her co-workers, as she reported directly to the editor with her column.
This user is from the EF
Anonymous
Nov 10, 2016 17:10:32 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 10, 2016 17:10:32 GMT -6

Akane almost always purchased lunch from the cafeteria, despite the fact that she should get better food elsewhere. For her, it was simply more convenient than ordering something from a restaurant or bringing something from home. She probably would order something from Watashi’s soon, though, just because the food was so much better. Besides, she missed the food there. The Waterbender was often so busy that she didn’t have time to go out and eat, and when she did, it was on a date with her girlfriend so they weren’t going to Watashi’s.

It was a shame that Yuri wasn’t a delivery girl anymore. She hadn’t realized that she had been at first, because as long as she’d known her, she’d been a waitress. It hadn’t been until a little while later that she’d learned that she had started out as a delivery girl, before moving inside. Wouldn’t that have been nice? Her girlfriend delivering her food? Alas, it was not to be, and she was fine with that.

Akane gave a sigh and dropped her money in the cash box before glancing at the woman behind her. It was then that she realized who it was. “You look familiar… You’re Charumati, right?” she said. She didn’t normally see her in here, and thought for a moment about how strange that seemed. She looked around, and seeing that the place was a bit crowded, she decided to be nice again. “It looks kind of crowded. Why don’t you sit with me?” She gave a light shrug. “I don’t bite, I promise.”

Akane turned, about to head for a table, before turning back to the woman behind her. She felt so small next to her; she was about half her size. “I love your column by the way,” she said. “Just wonderful.” She gave her a small smile. “Anyway, come and sit with me, please.” She then turned and headed towards the nearest table. There was nothing wrong with socializing with your fellow employees, though she knew that Charurmati had a reputation for not being very social.

Post by Charumati on Nov 10, 2016 21:08:09 GMT -6

Charumati Avatar
"You're Charumati, right? It looks kind of crowded. Why don’t you sit with me? I don’t bite, I promise.”

The taller woman paused. Honestly what she'd really rather do was return to her desk and eat, but she had a personal rule that at work, she would do her best to interact with co-workers of all bending abilities. It was essential for keeping her cover when she was an Equalist, and even more essential now that — well, nevermind that.

“I love your column by the way. Just wonderful.” She gave her a small smile. “Anyway, come and sit with me, please.”

Charu smiled ever so slightly. This tiny little lady was braver than most of the men in the office. Not that she was particularly interested in male companionship (or any companionship for that matter), but most men were intimidated by her height, her looks, and her age. Invitations to lunch were generally thin on the ground.

"That sounds lovely," she said, following the young woman to an empty table. She pulled out a chair, smoothing her grey skirt as she sat. Her pastel mint top went well with a small mint pin holding her hair back. If one had the bravery to look at the hair pin more closely, they'd notice it was of a silly-looking frog's head with googly eyes.

Snapping apart the provided bamboo chopsticks, Charumati was pleasantly surprised to find that the cafeteria meal was not as horrible as she had expected. The mackerel skin was crisp, if a little bland, and the miso soup was obviously prefabricated but there were chopped scallions in a bowl on the table, which Charu generously added to the broth. She sat in silence for a while, contemplating her next words as she chewed.

"I feel like I have seen you before," she told the young woman, "but I can't say that I know your name."
This user is from the EF
Anonymous
Nov 14, 2016 18:01:43 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 14, 2016 18:01:43 GMT -6

Akane was pleased to see that her coworker had decided to sit down with her. She enjoyed talking to people, and while she had seen Charumati around, they didn’t know each other and hadn’t talked. There was absolutely nothing wrong with meeting and socializing with new people. It was always that she loved to, and had ever since she was younger. Especially since she had spent her childhood without any close friends. She had spent most of her time training. That meant that now she wanted to talk to people when she had the chance.

Akane still spent a lot of time working or training, and when she wasn’t she was at home with Akira. That was and well and great, and Akira was the closest thing to a best friend that she ever had, but it wasn’t new. It wasn’t exciting, and it didn’t help her grow as a person, either.

Akane took her chopsticks and started to eat. The food was the same as always, and she gave no thought to the taste or flavor she ate. She heard her meal companion ask her a question, and she looked up at her and smiled. “My name is Akane,” she said, as she paused her meal momentarily. “I’m the secretary in the Probending department. Of course, we’re not in the same department, but the editor is always sending me running around here and there for something or other.”

Akane shrugged and waved her chopsticks a bit as she talked, before beginning to eat once more. She was glad that Charumati seemed to at least trying to be friendly. She didn’t have the best reputation in the newspaper; most people seemed to be intimidated by her. That didn’t bother the Waterbender at all. She didn’t pay attention to any of it. None of that mattered to her. They were just having lunch, anyway.
Last edit: Nov 14, 2016 18:23:16 GMT -6

Post by Charumati on Nov 14, 2016 21:42:07 GMT -6

Charumati Avatar
"It's nice to meet you, Akane."

Charumati took a few more bites in silence. She wasn't exactly the chatty type, for the most part. Sure, just like anyone else she had her passions and once you got her going she found it quite difficult to stop. She thought back to that morning's chance encounter specifically. She hadn't meant to use the time to soapbox to a young girl, but she had asked all the right questions.

The lunch, despite not tasting terribly, was dreadfully lacking in substance. She glanced at the prices again, listed on a chalkboard above the food station. For the total price of her original purchase and the seconds she was contemplating, she could have made four lunches at home. What a crock.

A small group of people passed by their table, surprise clearly etched in every muscle in their faces. Charumati looked up at them blandly, her expression impassive. They hurried away, bursting into hushed whispers when they were safely out of arm's reach. Charu took a look around the cafeteria; all eyes were on her and Akane. Most were sneaking furtive glances, though some were staring openly. She stifled her urge to roll her eyes.
This user is from the EF
Anonymous
Nov 16, 2016 19:55:23 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 16, 2016 19:55:23 GMT -6

Akane noticed the stares. It was hard not to. It was growing more and more annoying by the second. She didn’t consider herself an angry person; in fact, she didn’t have much of a temper at all. However, she was finding this incredibly annoying. She was having lunch with a fellow employee. What was the big deal? She knew Charumati’s reputation, too, but she didn’t judge people before she had gotten to know them. After all, she had never said two words to her before, so why should she make any preconceived notions about her prior to that point? It made no sense to her.

“They act as if they don’t have better things to do,” Akane said, glaring at someone else who happened to stare at them as walked by. “Or that they’ve never seen two people eat lunch together before.” She gave an exaggerated roll of her eyes. She was half-tempted to trip the next person who walked by and gaped at them. Losers, she thought to herself as she continued eating a bit more.

“So, I have a question, if you don’t mind,” Akane said in between bites. “What got you to start here at the newspaper? You know, what got you into writing?” She had been thinking about what she was going to do after Probending was over with and who better to ask? After all, she had been writing here for a long time. Her column was very successful. The Waterbender had already considered getting into writing. She enjoyed doing it in her spare time, what little she had, but that didn’t mean it was a viable career. There was no harm in asking, though, right?

Post by Charumati on Nov 17, 2016 7:18:18 GMT -6

Charumati Avatar
Charumati gave Akane a rare smile for her indignation. The amount of staring really was quite unnecessary, even if this was an event as momentous as spotting the legendary Wa Shi Tong library. She chuckled to herself.

Akane asked her what got her started writing, and Charumati could have sworn she detected a small hint of suppressed eagerness. Akane wasn't the first person to ask this of her today; then again, today seemed to be the day for making new acquaintances.

"Luck, mostly. I worked in the warehouses, and one of the editors heard me giving some advice to another worker. I was able to read and write, which wasn't as widespread back then as it is now, and they offered me a job. I don't think anyone expected it to last this long though."

She crunched on the mackerel skin for a few moments before eyeing Akane shrewdly. "Interested in a new career direction?" she asked.
This user is from the EF
Anonymous
Nov 21, 2016 19:01:34 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 21, 2016 19:01:34 GMT -6

Akane noticed the smile and the chuckle from Charumati but thought nothing of it. After all, this was a bit of an unusual situation. She listened as the older woman told her how she got started in the newspaper, and couldn’t help but be interested. She was someone who made something of herself and became successful when she was working at the docks. Yes, that was a legitimate job, but she was sure that it did not compare to what she was doing now. She got to write what she wanted, and speak her mind. Sure, the Waterbender may not agree with her all the time, but she respected it nonetheless. Everyone was allowed their own opinions, after all.

“That is truly fascinating,” Akane said in between bites. When she asked if she was considering a new career direction, the young woman just shrugged her shoulders. “I have to think about it,” she said honestly. “I mean, I can’t be a Probender forever. The window is relatively short, and I don’t want to be a secretary for the rest of my life. I need to start thinking about what I want to do now instead of waiting until I need to retire and then feeling like I’m stuck being a secretary for the rest of my life, you know?”

Akane just thought it made sense. She needed to be logical. Being an athlete was only temporary, and it could only be part of who she was in the long run. She needed to think about the big picture. She already worked at the newspaper, after all, so she had a leg in, and she worked in the department she always wanted to be in. The Waterbender also had an opinion on Probending, she always had. It all made sense, at least that was what she was thinking right now.

Post by Charumati on Nov 27, 2016 20:54:56 GMT -6

Charumati Avatar
Charu felt her cheek twitch a little. Probending was a sore spot for her. One the one hand, there was absolutely nothing wrong with benders using their inherent abilities for sport. In fact, she felt it was a very good use of their time — young benders with probending aspirations tended to stay out of trouble, idolising the likes of the Fire Ferrets' Mako and Bolin, two street urchins who had broken ties with the Triads.

At the same time, it was one of the most exclusionary things to have ever existed. The national pasttime of the Fifth Nation was by its very nature biased against nonbenders. No matter how physically skilled or able a nonbender might be, the sport was explicitly designed to require players to be able to bend earth, fire, or water. What could someone born without these abilities do? It wasn't as if it were like the powerplant, where firebenders contributed to the whole city using their given gifts and nonbenders were able to contribute by fixing the machinery and doing all the tasks that did not require a bending ability. Probending, pure and simple, had no place for nonbenders.

None of that, however, was Akane's fault. So she willed her cheek still. "Being a secretary is good work, though," she reminded Akane gently. "It's stable, and these skills can allow you to move on to more prolific companies or to start your own business. I think we could all use some stability in these troubled times."

Charumati's food was done by now, so she piled up her dishes and pushed them aside, sipping slowly out of a glass of iced water.

"But I can understand not wanting to stay stagnant." She swirled the water around in her glass, the ice making a gentle clinking sound. "Writing can easily get just as routine and stuffy. If you want to be a writer you need to stand out, bring something fresh to the table that other applicants wouldn't think of." Charumati then laughed softly, "Listen to me, telling you to bring something fresh to the table as if I didn't get my own job by sheer luck and circumstance."

She took another sip. "More seriously though, why stop at sports writer? Why not become an analyst? As a probender you'd have a unique insight to more than just what people see in the games. Wouldn't it be boring to just essentially recap the game's events week in and week out?"
This user is from the EF
Anonymous
Nov 30, 2016 18:08:07 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 30, 2016 18:08:07 GMT -6

Akane wasn’t sure what Charumati’s reaction to her being a Probender would if she knew or even cared. It wasn’t as if they knew each other; they hadn’t even spoken before. However, she knew the older woman had strong nonbender leanings – her writing made that quite clear, in her opinion. She may have strong feelings about Probending, and Probenders, as well. After all, it was a bender-only thing, and it was extremely popular to boot. She had never bothered to ask someone who was a nonbender how much that might bother them. It didn’t matter her because it wasn’t as if she would change just because they didn’t like. This was what she wanted, what she loved. However, that didn’t mean that she minded hearing other opinions.

Akane pushed her plate off to the side as she was done eating. She rested her elbows on the table and rested her chin on it as Charumati spoke. She gave a nod of her head. “Yes, it is,” she said. “I needed something solid to make money on outside of Probending because let’s face it, it doesn’t pay my bills from day to day.” She gave a heavy sigh. Part of her felt that she shouldn’t worry so much about the future, and should just live in the moment. It was hard not to think about it sometimes, because honestly, at twenty, how could long could she go on? How long could her team go on? Akira was twenty-two, and Bo was twenty-four. No one knew how long this would last, and she needed a plan.

The Waterbender gave her companion a smile as she chuckled. “Luck isn’t a bad thing, though,” she said. “Sometimes, the best things in life happen because we’re lucky. You happened to be overheard by the right person at the right time. Like me, I happened just to be in the park one day with my team and met the love of my life. At least I think she is.” Akane shrugged. “Luck is good. I think for me, I just… I want to have a plan for my future, you know? I want to know that I’m not going to be stuck in the same place if something happens to my Probending career, or if it ends. Because it will, eventually.”

Akane gave a heavy sigh and then shook her head. She rubbed her chin a bit at Charumati’s suggestion. “That is actually a very good idea,” she said. The blue-eyed young woman smiled at her. “Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I will definitely give that a lot of thought.” Maybe she’d talk to Akira when she got home and see what he thought. That might be something that she could actually do, that she would be good at. She knew she could do it if she put her mind to it.

Post by Charumati on Nov 30, 2016 19:41:20 GMT -6

Charumati Avatar
Charu drained the remnants of her glass. As pleasant as the conversation was, she was not one to linger over the table when her meal was through. She piled her dishes off to one side for the cafeteria busboy service to handle. Standing, she extended a calloused hand to Akane.

"It was nice to meet you, Akane," she said pleasantly. "I'm afraid I have to be getting back to my desk. Perhaps I will see you around the office." She paused, then added, "I'm sure you know where my desk is — I'd love to hear what you wound up deciding regarding your writing goals. I may be able to speak to the editors for you, if you are interested."

After Akane responded, Charumati gave a polite little bow and made her way out of the cafeteria, ignoring the subtle (and not so subtle) glances in her direction. Akane wasn't an unpleasant person to talk to, but Charumati resolved to be sure to eat at her desk from here on out. The cafeteria was too much of a hassle.
This user is from the EF
Anonymous
Dec 6, 2016 18:17:47 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 6, 2016 18:17:47 GMT -6

Akane smiled up at Charumati, and shook her hand when the older woman offered hers. “It was a pleasure to meet you, too,” she said. She beamed when Chaumati said that she would speak to the editor for her, if she was interested. “Thank you! I’ll let you know. If I do decide to do that, that would be wonderful.” It would go a long way, too, a word from her. Maybe she would speak to Akira when she got home and get his opinion. On the one hand, she didn’t want to take time away from her Probending career for this, but on the other hand, she did need a backup plan. Should she get started now? She wasn’t sure at all.