The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Pentimento (tag: Karena)

Anonymous
Mar 16, 2014 23:01:51 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Mar 16, 2014 23:01:51 GMT -6

Yutaka wondered if due to his frayed nerves if he could claim that projectile vomitting in the middle of the room could be erroneously called performance art and be hailed as brilliant.
Entering an amateur art competition started out as an idle thought but after a few encouraging words from his former girlfriend Ren'ai it soon grew into a burning obsession.
Burning, at least until a blur of shouts, insults and slammed doors turned Yutaka and Ren'ai from a couple to merely a couple of people. A couple of people who had not spoken to one another since.

What started as marble-sculpted fire of creation soon became a flame of agony. His mood could be directly traced to the change in tone of the sculpture in it's transition from the faces of the people in the flames turning from wide-eyed wonder to flesh-melting torment. It was meant to be about the creative use of fire and became about it's destructive properties as his mood darkened. Half-melted faces looked out to art patrons who averted their eyes. Only Yutaka stared back, feeling slightly guilty at having had created those pained faces.

He pretended to be absorbed in the artistic depths of his cigarette lighter as he lit the flame then closed the lid to exinguish it and repeated the process.
While they were listing one anothers' faults Yutaka's smoking came up and to prove a point to Ren'ai (even in her absence) he had not smoked since. That bore more than a little responsibility for the looks of writhing pain in his sculpture.

After a mumbled excuse Yutaka adjourned to the outside of the Dalai Art Museum was holding this amateur competition and sat with his back against the building looking back and forth between the cigarette lighter in his left hand and the cigarette case in his right. He wanted to smoke so badly. He imagined he could smell his Amaterasu brand cigarettes through the case. He could see their dark gray wrappers wanted desperately to feel their smoke in his lungs.
He held his cigarette in his mouth but held his lighter too far away to light anything. Every time he put off smoking he felt a little more pride in himself. It was a mere spark compared to the raging inferno of pride Ren'ai gave him every time they were together but sparks were all he had right then.

With his open lighter and unlit cigarette he assumed he looked more than a little strange peeking his head into the museum but the agonizing thought that Ren'ai would come entered his head. She'd look beautiful and perfect and so would the man she was now dating. Tall and athletic, Yutaka assumed. Charming too. Someone worthy of Ren'ai.

Yutaka put up his unused lighter and upon-opened cigarette case and trudged back inside to watch people avoid commenting about the marble representation of his tortured soul.
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Mar 22, 2014 19:24:12 GMT -6

Post by Gia on Mar 17, 2014 18:37:33 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai told herself that she shouldn’t go. She and Yutaka weren’t even dating anymore. They’d had some stupid fight and that had been the end of it. What had they even been fighting about? It was probably something stupid, and knowing her – she had started it all. Yuri had been extremely supportive of everything, and she was grateful for it. They both knew the truth, that. The hotheaded Firebender had probably started all of it, and who could blame Yutaka for not wanting anything to do with her after that? She had probably said stupid things, but she still couldn’t fully remember all of it, only that hurtful things were said. However, since she had encouraged him to do this so much, it only seemed right that she would at least make an appearance.

Ren’ai arrived at the Art Museum that the competition would be held at, paying the driver before getting out of the car. She stood up, looking over the outside of the building before taking a deep breath to calm her nerves and headed inside. Part of her still thought this was a bad idea, and that she should leave right now. After all, there was no guarantee he even wanted to see or talk to her. He hadn’t called or come by her apartment to talk after their fight – not that she blamed him. She and Yuri had nearly not stayed friends because of her attitude, and she had probably chased Yutaka away too somehow. She had been doing so much better, too! At least she still had Yuri, but… Yuri was just a friend. She wanted more, and she had though that… well, it doesn’t matter now.

There was quiet a people here, and luckily for her, she had been to parties before and knew how to handle herself. That didn’t mean that she had to like it, though. She smoothed out her long, black hair, which she had left half down, the other half up in a cute clip. Her makeup she kept simple, which just some eye shadow and light color to her lips. She had chosen to wear a black skirt with a slit to her knee and a red shirt – a new one, one she hadn’t worn before. It was a very soft fabric, and she just loved it. There weren’t any designs on it, but it kind of shined. It also fit her very well. She hadn’t been able to resist buying it. Yuri had rolled her eyes at her, but she had kept it anyway.

It took Ren’ai a bit, but she finally found Yutaka’s creation, and she immediately gave a gasp – though from shock or horror, she wasn’t quite sure. It was very well done – even she could see that, and she had no taste for art at all. The dark-haired young woman could still appreciate when someone had skill to create something. She was not creative at all, after all. Her talents were physical. The sculpture was, however, very dark, and part of her had to wonder what had gone into creating it. The other part of her wasn’t sure she wanted to know. Besides, wasn’t something like that personal? She wasn’t sure how that went with artists, especially when something was this dark.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Mar 22, 2014 20:36:25 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Mar 22, 2014 20:36:25 GMT -6

Typically, Yutaka Mifune was not self-conscious about his appearance. He looked how he looked. The Dalai Museum on that night was not in any way typical, though. His long, brown hair was parted down the middle but for once neatly and not haphazardly. He wore a black changshan he would normally have been comfortable wearing if not for the embroidered red Dragon Hawk on the back he had stitched in honor of Ren'ai...back when they still spoke. It was a glaring mark of his stupidity in thread and animal form. He could imagine the image sparking a conversation about pro bending and the Dragon Hawk's gorgeous firebender.

In lieu of tradition slippers Yutaka wore the same boots he wore when working in his capacity for the city repairing roads and buildings. It was an odd contrast to his more elegant outfit but he was proud of his job and hated the traditional slippers people often wore with changshan, they were too thin. Yutaka feared it looked like an affectation of a pampered man trying to look working-class.

All clothing-related worries were gone the moment he saw Ren'ai whose mere presence made all of the attempts at beauty created by the artists, himself included, pale in comparison. The fact that she showed up made him feel wonderful, then afraid, then confused and then a combination of all three that confused him even further. The thought of her showing up with a far superior man crept up again and refused to leave.
Yutaka took the advice Ren'ai had often given to be less of a coward, though she phrased it more delicately, and walked up to her whether perfect new boyfriend embarrassed him or not.

"Hi. You came. I'm, uh..." He looked into her amber eyes and felt wonder at how such a wonderful woman could date him for so long and how in their fight he had said a number of cruel things that no one deserved, certainly not someone he suddenly realized he still loved.
"I'm sorry. I'm glad you're here. You..." He paused to look down, as he could not meet Ren'ai's eyes but raised his head and met her gaze once more. "You were always my biggest supporter. Thank you."
He silently prayed that his words conveyed the tsunami of emotions he was feeling but doubted.

Once that was out Yutaka felt a great weight lifted and he felt able to talk like a normal person again...or as normal as he could talk. He pointed out some of the other artists with whom he was competing and talked about their style and medium though he knew that Ren'ai would not be particularly interested.
"Are the Dragon Hawks still looking for an earthbender? How has work been? Are you seeing anyone? Is that a new outfit? It's nice."
The words flooded the room like the dam holding back his excitement and stupidity had burst.
Last edit by Deleted: Mar 22, 2014 20:37:53 GMT -6

Post by Gia on Mar 23, 2014 16:32:03 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai had been lost in thought when she heard a voice speaking to her. She didn’t jump or anything, thankfully. She just turned towards him and smiled. “Of course, I’m here,” she told him. “Whatever happened between us, I do know that I encouraged you to do this, so…” She shrugged her shoulders. “I’m here.” Was it really supposed to be this awkward? She still had feelings for him, and she didn’t think she would be now. However, standing here with him made that obvious. She almost thought that she should leave, but she was here now, and now that he’d seen her, she couldn’t leave. That would be awkward and make it known that she felt a little uncomfortable.

Yutaka then started barraging her with questions, and Ren’ai couldn’t help but laugh. He seemed to have loosened up a bit, and it made her loosen up a bit as well. “One question at a time, silly,” she told him, a teasing tone to her voice. She paused for a second as she tried to get a handle on the questions that he’d asked her. “Okay, we were never looking for an Earthbender. Yuri’s an Earthbender, just like you are, so we were looking for a Waterbender,” she told him. She could only imagine what he’d be feeling right now, so she didn’t take the slip personally. Stuff like that happened, and it was such a minor thing. Besides, he didn’t even really know Yuri, either.

“Work’s been fine,” she told him. “Ichiro’s a good boss, I think.” Prior to them breaking up, Ichiro’s parents had opened up another restaurant downtown. “Yuri’s adjusted well to be a waitress, and she likes being inside better than delivering food.” The next question kind of threw her for a loop, but the Firebender hid it well. She didn’t blame him for being curious. “No, I’m not seeing anyone.” That left the final question – about her outfit. A smile crossed Ren’ai’s lips. “The shirt is new, but the skirt isn’t. I saw the shirt and had to have it. Yuri thought it was frivolous.” She shrugged her shoulders. “Thank you, though. You look nice, too.” The Firebender couldn’t help herself. She had to ask. “Are you seeing anyone?” It wouldn’t seem silly – he had asked her the same question.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Mar 26, 2014 23:08:49 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Mar 26, 2014 23:08:49 GMT -6

Speaking with Ren'ai again eased Yutaka into the same awkward yet comfortable pattern as before their big fight. He'd make a verbal gaffe and she'd tease him in a way that didn't make him feel inferior. It reminded Yutaka that he'd barely spoken to anyone since he began wallowing in sadness after the break up.

Ren'ai answered his rapid-fire questions he fired in which he tried his best to hit every subject other than possible reconciliation. When she reacted to his compliment on her outfit Yutaka scoffed.
"It if it looks nice and you like it it's not frivolous. Besides...you're talking to Mister Frivolous."

Saying that he looked nice and then asking if he was seeing anyone visibly shocked the formerly comfortable artist. He decided to tackle the compliment first. He had gotten a little better at taking them since seeing Ren'ai but it still took effort.
"Thank you. I'm still a Dragon Hawks fan despite the whole 'never seen them in a match' thing." He turned his back momentarily to show Ren'ai the red Dragon Hawk stitched on the back of his changshan.
"People keep asking about it and I start talking about pro bending. If their eyes don't glaze over immediately I keep talking. I can't talk about it as passionately as you. If think if you went around talking about bending the arena would sell out every night."

“Are you seeing anyone?”
The awkward question that he feared no longer seemed embarrassing or awkward.
"You know me....why talk to people when I can make art or learn a new game? I've been too busy anyway getting ready for this competition. Um..." He pretended to be obsessed with the top button of his changshan while he mumbled to himself. Once the button lost its' allure the nervous earthbending artists eyes met with his formal girlfriend.
"If I can place somewhere in the top five I'll get a cash reward. Someone might even want to buy my piece, but I highly doubt it. So, you know, maybe perhaps if I place high enough would you like to get dinner? Or walk about and hit some snack carts? Of course there's fancy-dress bending like on the solstice."
"I...I miss being with you."

Yutaka heaved a great sigh, took Ren'ai's hands and gently held them as he look down into her eyes. "I still love you."

Post by Gia on Mar 29, 2014 13:19:25 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai smiled. He, more than anyone else, understood that certain things were not frivolous. They had both come from rich families, and that made them think a lot different by nature because of that. If anyone would understand needing to buy something even though your roommate said you shouldn’t, it was him. When he turned around to show her the Dragon Hawk stitched on the back of his changshan, she couldn’t help but reach out and run her fingers over it a bit before he turned back around. A small smile crossed her face. He then started saying that it got people talking, and if she got talking about it, the arena would sell out. Her smile widened a bit. “I doubt that,” she told him. “I don’t talk about any differently than anyone else who loves it.” At least she didn’t think so.

The conversation then turned back to the question of if they were seeing anyone. Part of her felt kind of sad that he hadn’t really done anything but art and work since they’d broken up, or at least that’s how it had seemed to her based on his response to her question. The other part of her was kind of glad that he wasn’t seeing anyone. The dark-haired young woman was a bit confused, but her facial expression remained the same. She was sad for him because he deserved someone, even if it wasn’t her. The other part was glad that he wasn’t seeing anyone… because she wanted it to be her. Romance was so confusing, and she couldn’t help but think that that it was one of those things that you just had to learn to deal with. Her mother had told her, though, that you never really learned.

Ren’ai couldn’t help but feel her heart soar when he asked her out. Granted, it was contingent upon the Earthbender placing in the top five, but it was still an offer of a date. She almost ran right to him and threw her arms around him in pure joy. However, part of her was afraid – not of him, but of herself. The Firebender thought that she would screw it up, but she couldn’t stop herself from taking a few steps towards him. She also couldn’t have gotten the smile off her face right then if she’d wanted to. “I still love you, too,” she told him, “and I’d love to go out with you, though it doesn’t have to be contingent upon you placing in the top five, although I think you will.” She glanced up at his piece for a moment before looking back at him. “I might be a bit biased, though.”
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Apr 6, 2014 23:08:45 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Apr 6, 2014 23:08:45 GMT -6

"I’d love to go out with you, though it doesn’t have to be contingent upon you placing in the top five, although I think you will. I might be a bit biased, though.”

For the most part Yutaka had decent control over his body. He could be clumsy but under most circumstances his body did as he told it. It hugged Ren'ai without any prior instruction and made Yutaka wonder just who should be in charge.
"Thank you...and hey, if you want to spread that bias to the judges feel free."

With Ren'ai there and knowing that while things were weird there was still an attraction, the art contest which had consumed most of his thoughts of late felt like something he could easily leave if Ren'ai requested it.

Yutaka pointed out some of the artists he competed with. There was a haggard, middle aged man who was obviously homeless who built the frames of his paintings from wood found on the street. On the other side of the room, holding a glass of white wine with matching dress was a teenaged girl obviously from an affluent family.
"If I had to guess I'd say Shiranui," he said pointing to the young woman in white. "Takes first place and Baki," he tilted his head towards the older man concealing stolen hors d'oeuvres in his pockets. "Gets gets second. I don't know of anyone is good enough to get first."

It felt nice to talk about art, even for a short time. Yutaka's time without Ren'ai had been split between work and sculpting and in the times between he didn't feel like being around people.
Dating was so far out of the question that it seemed too absurd to even consider. Now all sort of absurdity seemed possible. Dating Ren'ai again, winning the contest despite the better and well-known artists with he competed.
"You taught me to sometimes take chances even if I'm afaid. Thank you."

Yutaka clutched Ren'ai's hand nervously as they announced the the beginning of the announcement of the winners. Only the top three were given on stage and despite his attempt to lower his expectations, Yutaka was disappointed not to be up on that stage.
With his recently reset expectations Yutaka hoped for fifth place since there was still some cash in it for him. The envelope and ribbon handed to him proudly displayed the number four.
"I...Yes! This is wonderful! I'm..." Once the first few tears began to stream Yutaka made a hasty exit.

Yutaka stared at the gray Amaterasu brand cigarette he promised himself as a reward for placing fifth and wondered if he should have a little more faith in himself.
The happy tears stopped after he wiped his face with his sleeve.
It was an emotional moment and the most communication he could muster towards Ren'ai was:
"Where would you like to eat?" With a large, open-mouth smile. It seemed like it took very little time for Ren'ai to improve his life.

Post by Gia on Apr 16, 2014 14:57:25 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai gave a light laugh as Yutaka said she could spread her bias to the judges. “If I had that power, I would,” she told him. She thought he had talent, if they didn’t agree, well… She didn’t know much about art, though. She would come to as many of these as he wanted her to, though, even if she didn’t get all of it. He pointed out some of the other competitor’s politely as he pointed them out to her. She didn’t know them, and if she was honest with herself, she didn’t really care either. She was here for Yutaka and only him. She didn’t think he was giving himself enough credit, though.

Ren’ai was a bit taken by surprise when Yutaka told her that she had taught him to take chances even when he was cared, and thanked her for it. She gave him a bit of a confused look before it turned into a smile. “You’re welcome,” she told him. “If people never took chances, nothing would ever get accomplished.” The Firebender would certainly not be a Probender if that were the case. She and Yuri were taking a chance even trying. Sure, the last season that they’d participated in didn’t exactly work out the wanted. It had taught them a very valuable lesson, though. If they could only find a Waterbender, but now wasn’t the time to think about that.

As they started to announce the winners, Ren’ai felt Yutaka grab her hand. He seemed nervous, and she didn’t blame him. In his place, she’d be nervous, too. The dark-haired young woman just gave him a smile as the top three were brought to the stage. The Earthbender’s name was not among them, and if she was honest with herself, that wasn’t entirely a surprise. It was his first competition, after all. The Firebender reminded herself that they may not have won their first Probending match had Airi been in their from the beginning. She was broken out of her thoughts when Yutaka was handed an envelope glancing over, she saw a four on it and beamed. “That’s awesome! Congrats!”

Ren’ai meant to hug him, but he started to get emotional and immediately exited. She shrugged, and quickly followed him out. The only thing he said to her after he had calmed down was where she wanted to eat. She smiled at him. “It’s your night,” she told him. “You got fourth place in your first competition, which is fantastic. You should decide where we eat.” She was so proud of him. This was something that he was really good at, and the Firebender was glad he had finally decided to do something out of his comfort zone. Of course, she was also very glad that it seemed like she was back in his life now.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Apr 27, 2014 22:28:17 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Apr 27, 2014 22:28:17 GMT -6

“That’s awesome! Congrats!”
Etiquette demanded that Yutaka wait until he was out of sight from anyone from the gallery before grinning and raising his fist in triumph.
"Fourth place...I'm glad, but I think I could have done better. Next time I'll do better." He nervously scratched behind his ear and sheepishly glanced at Ren'ai.
"With you too. I could have done better. I CAN do better."

Most of Yutaka's money had gone towards marble for his sculpture and having a wad of yuans on his pocket felt almost alien.
"I've been eating instant noodles for so long I almost forgot there were other options."
Yutaka tried to remember which foods his mother declared the worst for dates. Noodles were out, as were soups or anything with a lot of sauce. He hated the idea of his romantic future riding on a sauce stain or slurping his noodles too loud.
Then he thought about how Ren'ai had come to support him and considering their ups and downs a little food-based humiliation was nothing.
"There's a line of food stalls on the next street."

Colorful lights and wooden tables littered a semi-circle of food stands of different types. Yutaka liked how Republic City could go from peaceful to loud and hectic after walking a block.
"Nothing like that Solstice party we went to, eh?"
He held out his hand to Ren'ai to help her step over the curb and enter the collection of stalls to be a gentleman but also it was an excuse to hold hands with Ren'ai. Even that far into their relationship it was still something that he was still shy about.

Yutaka couldn't help but laugh while waiting in line. He started to stifle it but couldn't.
"Sorry. It's...we come from wealthy families. We could be eating at Kwong's and here we are waiting for tempura that is cheaper than the waiter's tip."
He smiled as he ordered a sampler of various fried foods. It had been a while since the almost literally starving artist had anything to eat that wasn't old bread and instant noodles.
"That's the first thing that drew me to you, Renai," Yutaka said as he absent of thought, took a gray colored cigarette from a gold case and put one in his mouth. When his mind was drawn away from Ren'ai Yutaka managed to take control of his habits once more. He hadn't smoked since their fight and didn't like the idea of maintaining any habits of his from that time. He placed his Amaterasu brand cigarette back into the case and tried to get his mind off of nicotine.
"Have you thought about checking out a semi-pro bending league for a new waterbender? I've, uh, been catching the occasional game." It felt like Ren'ai could tell he did so to see firebenders in action as a means for torturing himself for the mistakes he made with his girlfriend.

Post by Gia on May 5, 2014 12:10:02 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai smiled at Yutaka. She was glad to see him so happy… and she was glad that they seemed to be getting back together. Whatever she had done to screw things up, like with Yuri, it seemed to fix itself. The Firebender reminded herself that she needed to keep her temper under control… but she’d been saying that, nothing seemed to work. Maybe she wasn’t supposed to be a better person? The dark-haired young woman pushed that thought of her head. “Fourth place is good jumping point,” she pointed out “If you did that well at your first competition, and it can only go up, you’re bound to do excellent in the rest that you decide to join.” She was going to be here for him, too. Sure, he hadn’t had a chance to be there at her competitions, but hey, he had been nothing but supportive about her choice in career. It was the least that she could do.

Ren’ai was surprised when Yutaka said that he could do better with her. He thought he was at fault? “I think we both made mistakes,” she told him. “You certainly weren’t the only one who said things that they shouldn’t have.” The Firebender gave a shrug, because she honestly thought that if they continued on that line of conversation that he would end up seeing that there was no way that it could be his fault. She had nearly ruined her relationship with her best friend, so it had to be the same thing with the two of them as well. “Honestly, I don’t even remember what started, so I say that we just move and promise to try better from now on.” Even though it was her fault, she was sure of it, she couldn’t help but say it that way, because saying out loud that it was her fault would probably cause her to break down and start crying. That was not what she needed right now.

Ren’ai laughed at his comment about eating nothing but noodles. “Yes, there is other food besides noodles,” she told him, “not that there’s anything wrong with noodles. Maybe from now on, though, you can try and broaden your diet a bit.” She smirked at him. When she suggested the food stalls on the next street, she just shrugged, giving him a smile. “Sure, that sounds good. Something different.” She followed him over there. He mentioned that it was nothing like the solstice party that they went to, and she couldn’t help but laugh again. “Certainly not,” she told him. “Not a scene that either of our parents would be caught dead.” Somehow, that made it more fun, despite the fact that Yutaka was still an approved date on her mother’s card.

Yutaka laughed at the irony of the fact that they could be eating at Kwong’s and instead are eating here, she scoffed. “Kwong’s? Who is going to pay for that? I don’t eat there. Too expensive. Even my parents don’t eat there very often?” However, there was a friendly smirk crossing her face. It was irony, she would give him that for sure. When he complimented her, a blush crossed her face as he took out a cigarette. She thought he was going smoke, and was glad when he chose not to. She was a bit surprised when he told her that he’d seen the occasional game since they had broken up. “I hadn’t considered that, but it’s a good idea. I’ll mention it to Yuri next time I saw her.” She smiled at him again, and paused for a moment before talking again. “I’ve missed this,” she said, lowering her voice a bit.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
May 17, 2014 0:17:11 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 17, 2014 0:17:11 GMT -6

What Yutaka liked most about dating Ren'ai was that every peak in a date that would seem like a high point often led to an even more dizzying altitude. Hearing her say she missed being together gave Yutaka an amazingly high feeling. He slid his hand over to Renai's and while it took him a moment to get over his shyness to look her in the eyes, it was eventually accomplished.
"Me too. I've wanted to talk to you again so bad but I was too angry and ashamed to call. I just dove into my art and played games with myself like I do. It wasn't the same without you there pretending not to be bored while I explain the rules to a game or droned on about a new album I bought. You don't give yourself enough credit for your patience."

Yutaka's first bite into a piece of deep fried eel was almost on the same level as hearing Ren'ai say that she missed him...but not quite. It was still the best thing he had eaten in months. After such a long time subsisting on noodles and bread Yutaka had a feeling the first food to enter his mouth would be something great. He doubted Ren'ai had the same forced diet but still slid his tray of fried eel and vegetables over to her to try while chewing his food.

"Is there still time in the season for you to find a waterbender or will you try for the next one?" He let out a fake sigh. "Where is The Avatar when you need her? She'd be a worthy bender for you team, that or maybe she could change my chi enough to make me a waterbender. I can try ice-sculpting when I'm not training to be a pro bender. Where do you think that falls on a scale from 'Likely' to 'Don't delude yourself, fool.'? "
Yutaka smiled at Ren'ai. "I think I'd give anything to be able to see you bend professionally. My bending, my cigarettes...even my record collection. Giving them up would be worth it to see you in your element like that."

He rested his chin on his right hand while using his left to put fried food on his mouth. Once done chewing a question came out that should have been immediately blocked by another piece of eel tempura.
"You are a little sad that you don't have a team?"

Post by Gia on May 27, 2014 10:44:55 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai was glad that Yutaka had wanted to talk to her as much as she wanted to talk to him. The feeling of his hand with hers was… well, it was a very good feeling. She couldn’t help but think that this was the way that things were supposed to be. Hearing that he had been just as angry about the whole thing as she was made her feel a bit better, though the dark-haired young woman told herself not to go down that road again. There was no reason to think about how she had caused everything, because even if that was true, the two of them were accepting equal blame on this. Or at least that’s the way it seemed to her. It was better that way, anyway, because there was no reason for her to start feeling sorry for herself and break down crying in front of the Earthbender.

Ren’ai just smiled at Yutaka. “I don’t think you give yourself enough credit,” she told him. “You had to listen to me rattling on Probending and what not, so it’s not fair.” She gave a shrug of her shoulders. “Besides, that’s you’re supposed to do in a relationship, right? Do what the other person wants to do and not just yourself.” The dark-haired young woman noticed that he had slid his tray of fried food over to her, so she hesitated for a second. She knew that she probably shouldn’t eat that stuff, but… it was sitting right there. After a couple of seconds, the Firebender figured why not, and reached out to take one. She promised herself that she wouldn’t eat that much, because she didn’t want to have to work out a little extra because she’d eaten this fried food… which was delicious, but very bad for her.

Yutaka then changed the subject, for which Ren’ai was very grateful. Probending was something that she could easily talk about. “Nah, the season’s long since started already,” she told him. “Yuri and I are trying to stay positive, because neither one of us want to wait tables for the rest of our lives. What can you do, though, because the bills have to pay themselves somehow, right?” She took another piece of Yutaka’s food before continuing. She laughed at his suggestion of the Avatar changing his chi. “I think that falls closer to don’t delude yourself, but I wouldn’t call you a fool.” He mentioned everything he would give up to see her in her element, and she just smiled. “Don’t worry about it. Stick around, and you will one day.” He asked if she was sad, and she gave another shrug. “Yeah, sure, I am, but if I let myself go down that road, I won’t come back. I have to try and stay positive.”
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 2, 2014 22:06:50 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 2, 2014 22:06:50 GMT -6

Hearing Ren'ai talk about being positive reminded Yutaka how easily he succumbed to things like self-doubt and negativity.
"I'll do what I can to help. Uh...I don't know...make some posters or something. Something that will get a waterbender to come to you."
The covers of trashy, cheap novels one could buy for a yuan came to mind with their impossibly muscular heroes and busty heroines and how they easily drew attention to themselves.
Images of Ren'ai fighting a dragon in a strategically torn uniform flashed in his mind but was quickly dismissed.
"We need something flashy to get the word out there. We'll get you drowning in waterbenders."

It took a few moments for Yutaka to realize how widely he was smiling. He liked art and he loved Ren'ai so a combination of the two seemed meant to be.
"Tell me what you think...but keep in mind I am already designing posters in my head."

Yutaka ignored his assortment of cooling fried foods and focused on the napkin on which he drew a dragonhawk. Napkins were terrible for drawing but for once Yutaka didn't feel self-conscious about showing someone his art. He slid the napkin over to Ren'ai.
"I thought put just a few posters like this up," he said indicating the vicious looking dragonhawk he had drawn. "would at least get people thinking about dragonhawks and maybe when I make a recruitment poster the same people will think about joining. Think about those pulp novels with the daring covers. A lot of times people will buy the book because they are captivated by the art. That last sentence replayed in his head and he hated how it sounded.
"Uh, not that my art is, you know, captivating or anything like that buy maybe, possibly it could get someone interested in joining.

Using another napkin Yutaka sketched another drawing for Ren'ai of herself punching Amon in the face and cracking his mask. It was fast and sloppy but he thought Ren'ai would get a laugh out of it.

Post by Gia on Jun 23, 2014 16:20:07 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai smiled at Yutaka. It was so sweet that he was trying to help. “I’m sure that we’ll think of something,” she told him. “I’ll talk to Yuri when I get home tonight and see what she says. Maybe she’ll have an idea or something.” However, it seemed as if the Earthbender had an idea already. He was smiling really widely, and admitted that he was already designing posters in his head. He drew something really quick on a napkin before sliding the napkin over to her. She reached out, and slid it closer to her, looking it over quickly as he was still talking. Once again, the Firebender was jealous of her boyfriend’s – was that a title she could use again? – talent. It was not one that she possessed, nor would she ever.

“Wow, these are so good,” she told him. “Do you mind if I keep this? I want to show Yuri so she has an idea what we talked about.” It was great that he wanted to do this, but it involved her, too. Yutaka started explaining what he had in mind, and Ren’ai listened intently. She had to admit that he had good ideas, and she liked them. “I think you’re right, you have a good point. I mean, besides, it won’t hurt to try, right? If the worst should happen…” It was his time, effort, and money they would be wasting. “If you need supplies for it or anything, ask me and I’ll get my father to pay for them.” That was his job, after all. He had said that he would pay if they made it. They had once, so technically, they had.

Ren’ai smiled at Yutaka. “Thank you for all this,” she told him, “and I think that your art is very good, but I may be slightly biased.” She shrugged her shoulders a little. The Firebender missed this – just talking with him, spending time with him. What had happened? She pushed those thoughts of her head, and concentrated on the man that she was with right now. She tried to remember everything that he had said, though, because she would need to repeat them all to her best friend once she got home.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jul 14, 2014 21:48:08 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 14, 2014 21:48:08 GMT -6

After mumbling words of gratitude into his chest Yutaka repeated them in a way a normal human could perceive.
"Uh, thank you. I-I'll do something better later. And, you know, you're welcome. Getting to make art for my favorite person sounds really fun." Unconsciously, Yutaka reached into his pocket for a lighter but stopped when he realized he no longer had the desire to smoke...at least at that point of time.

"So, um, this weekend w-would you like to, you know...scout around for a water bender? Maybe the perfect teammate is wasting away in a dead end job unclogging toilets and things like that."
Yutaka knew that if anyone could break down a wall in a person's life and lead them to a better existence it was Ren'ai.
"Even if we don't find anyone we can still have a fun time walking around the city. The absolute worst thing that could happen is we spend some time together and, well, that sounds like the best thing ever."

Yutaka felt a twinge of embarrassment at his statement. Being so open was hardly the advice he had been given by the many men he had asked about romance but he rationalized it by the fact that Ren'ai was sitting across from him so he must be doing something right.
"Um, I don't know where athletes hang out or anything so I guess you'd be the one to set the itinerary. Oh, and the one to tell if they are actually good. And convince them to join. Uh, I don't think I'll be of much use but I'd like to accompany you. It sounds like fun and maybe I'll learn something about Pro Bending."
He felt at least another two minutes of blather about to exit his mouth but he blocked it with the last of his fried eel.

A smile erupted when Yutaka thought of an amusing but far-fetched way to spend their weekend scouting for potential water benders.
"Which one would cost my parents more, the North Pole or the South Pole?"

Post by Gia on Jul 28, 2014 15:30:21 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai smiled as Yutaka struggled to thank you. She had complete faith that whatever he came up with would be amazing. Hearing that she was his favorite person made her feel really special. She was someone’s favorite person. It her feel better than she’d felt in quite a while, and besides, she really enjoyed his art. The Firebender looked forward to seeing whatever it was that he came up with for her and Yuri. She was sure that her Earthbending friend would be excited once she got him and told her what had happened. Besides that, she was sure that she’d be excited once she told her about she got home, though she wasn’t sure exactly when that would be and if her friend was going to be awake or not. She didn’t remember if she had to work tomorrow morning or not.

Ren’ai thought it was so sweet how he was still nervous asking her out. She smiled at him. “We can’t bother people at their jobs,” she told him, figuring that he hadn’t meant it the way it sounded, but teasing him about it nonetheless. “That sounds good, though. We found Kamil at the park, maybe we should start there?” Of course, they’d found Kamil because she and Yuri had been practicing. Sure, she could do that with Yutaka, too, but… he’d need to bring his padding and stuff, because without them, she’d be afraid of hurting them. “Yes, even if we don’t find one, it’d be fun to just spend the day with you.” She was off on the first day of the weekend, anyway, so at least she’d be able to spend time with him. It would have been horrible if she’d had to work, and had to suggest another date.

Ren’ai couldn’t help but to laugh as Yutaka said that he basically had no idea where they would be going. She’d already had one suggestion – and really, that was her only suggestion. “I’m not sure where they’d be either, because it’s not as if there’s a ‘Probenders hangout’ or anything like that,” she told him. Reaching over, she laid her hand over his, and smiled at him. The Earthbender was being nervous for no apparent reason, at least that’s how it seemed to her. “Don’t worry about it. It’ll be fine, and we’ll have a great time no matter what.” His next question took her by surprise, but she laughed. “South. It’s father away,” she answered immediately. “The farther the trip, the more expensive. Why do you ask?” Her mother was from the Northern Tribe, personally, but he hadn’t asked that.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Aug 3, 2014 23:06:09 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 3, 2014 23:06:09 GMT -6

Although it started as a joke going to a far-away place with Ren'ai one day sounded nice, even if the South Pole didn't seem even remotely romantic.
"I was thinking we could spend some of my parents' money on an extravagant trip to look for benders but we should probably start close to home. The park sounds good. Sometimes actors from the Green Centipede Theater will put on an impromptu play there on the weekends. So if we don't find anyone at least we have a chance of being entertained."

A far-off look swept across Yutaka's face as he thought about their up-coming date.
"I better come up with some ideas fast..." he said absently. "What's going to make someone think 'I have to join this team'? Did you have to use some really slick sales pitch to get your last waterbender?"

The words "slick" and "waterbender" echoed in Yutaka's head and he imagined a smooth and not-even-remotely awkward waterbender jumping at the chance to be on a team with a beautiful woman. This fictitious bender soon starred in various scenarios in Yutaka's head. "Accidentally" walking into Ren'ai's dressing room while wearing only a towel and Ren'ai swooning over his lithe, well-toned form.
Then Yutaka laughed in a much greater volume than intended, startling the people at the next table.
"Sorry, I was just thinking about how many fireballs you'd throw at a guy who joined just to get close to you." Ren'ai was hardly the type who would choose a pretty face and chiseled physique over an ability to play the sport well. Even then Yutaka could not imagine for her falling for any the cliche's that popped up in his head.
"Has that ever happened before? Someone trying to join the Dragon Hawks because you and Yuri are astoundingly beautiful?"

Post by Gia on Aug 4, 2014 12:41:55 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai gave a smile at his comment about going to the South Pole to look for a Waterbender. “I don’t think we have to go that far,” she told him. “The city is full of Waterbenders, and if push comes to shove, I have two older brothers that are Waterbenders.” It was a fun thought, though, taking a long trip with him, but rather unnecessary, and that was coming from someone who typically wasn’t the reasonable one in any relationship. “My brothers aren’t interested, though, and I’m not sure that I could get that much time off of work. I mean, sure, I’m due vacation, but… that’s a lot more time than what I’m due.” She was also one of the senior waitresses, too. Ichiro was a cool boss, but still. The time require to go to the South Pole was… well a lot. He was taking off time as it was to go to the North Pole, where his mother was from. “It’s a fun thought, though.”

Ren’ai wondered for a second if her mother wanted to take them all back to the North Pole. They had gone once she was little, but it was a long trip. She quickly shook those thoughts out of her head, and concentrated on the man sitting across from her. Yutaka then asked her about what they had done when they got Kamil. “We didn’t do anything, really,” she told him. “Tadashi, he was our manager at the time, was with us. Yuri and I just practiced, like we always do. Kamil happened to see us, wondered if we were Probenders. Tadashi answered yes, we were. Kamil practiced with us for a bit so we could gauge his abilities. Then he was on the team.” She shrugged. “That was it.” The most annoying thing was that he had worked out great. If they had gotten a second year together… but they hadn’t.

Yutaka then zoned for a bit, but quickly came out, saying something about imaging shooting fireballs at someone’s head for joining just to get close to them. “Oh, a lot,” she answered. “I’m a tough Captain, so no one could get away with that anyway.” She pushed her hair off of her shoulders in a rather arrogant gesture. He then asked if they had ever had that happen before. She shook her head. “No, of course not. As I said, I’m a rather touch Captain, so that doesn’t work. They’d never make it with me for very long.” She smiled at him, as she imagined someone actually trying that. A laugh escaped her lips. “I’m sorry; I just imagined me and Yuri kicking some guy’s ass who tried to do that. That would be hilarious.”
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Aug 13, 2014 13:14:33 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 13, 2014 13:14:33 GMT -6

Sharing a laugh at the expense of hypothetical men who would attempt to place romance over bending while in The Dragonhawks was another high point in a night that seemed to be made up entirely of high points.
"So, flirting is an automatic red fan, is it?"

Since he had never had the pleasure of seeing Ren'ai in an actual match it was easy to forget that she was the captain of a team.
"How do you do that? Tell people what to do, I mean? I feel bad if I have to tell someone new at work that their cement mixture is wrong," he said with a smile.
"I suppose I took my desire to not be a bossy rich kid too far in the other direction. Like adding the right amount of sand to cement...and why can't I get my mind off of cement right now?" He managed a combination laugh and sigh as he dipped his head for a moment smiling. Acting like a fool in front of Ren'ai was not even remotely as mortifying as it was with other people. He never felt like he was being judged.

Growing up with aloof parents, Yutaka was never entirely comfortable with physical affection, but he reached to Ren'ai's hand to hold it and found himself lifting it to his lips and kissing it instead.
"You are so incredible and I love you deeply."
There it was. No build up, just a humor-killing, bold-faced statement that seemed entirely out of place. Suddenly, he wondered if he was being judged. His hands started to quiver slightly when he realized he was still holding onto Renai's hand.

Yutaka tried to imagine the right shade of red he turned and imagined something between scarlet and vermillion. Yutaka Blush, the most hideous of all the red shades.

Post by Gia on Aug 25, 2014 10:16:33 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai gave a shrug when Yutaka asked if flirting was an automatic red fan. “During practice, yes,” she told her. “If they want to flirt with Yuri afterwards, that’s fine, but everything is professional during practice.” Those words also came two fold, that she wouldn’t tolerate them flirting with her, for obvious reasons. After all, she had a boyfriend – at least she was pretty sure that’s what he was to her again. At least, the Firebender sincerely hoped that’s what he was to her. That’s what she wanted. She was pretty sure that’s what he wanted, too, or he wouldn’t have brought it up in the first place.

Ren’ai shrugged as the Earthbender asked how she gave orders. She shrugged her shoulders again, feeling a bit silly for doing that two times in a row. She knew that he wouldn’t think anything of it, and that made her feel pretty good. “It’s not a big deal,” she told him. “I just kind of, do it… you know?” The dark-haired young woman figured that wouldn’t be good enough for him, and she struggled to come up with the proper words to explain how she was Captain of the team. “If it needs to be said, I say. I’m not there to make friends with them, you know? I mean, Yuri and I are best friends, so that’s different. I mean…” She took a deep breath, trying to straighten her thoughts so she could answer this question properly.

“Okay, when we’re practicing or at a match, I’m the Captain, end of story,” Ren’ai explained. “It’s like… you separate what’s going on during Probending versus what’s going outside of Probending. Does that make sense?” The Firebender hoped that she had explained it well enough, because honestly… It was really just something that she did. She didn’t really think about it. She didn’t think of anything of his comments about cement. She just kind of pushed it off, because these were things that he just did. It wasn’t like she thought it was weird or anything, because she didn’t.

Before she knew it, Yutaka had taken her hand and kissed it. Ren’ai couldn’t help it, but a smile crossed her lips. He told her that he loved her, and she couldn’t help it then, either, but she smiled even wider. He was even blushing, and that was so cute to her. She leaned forward a little bit, the smile still playing on her lips. “I think you’re sweet and amazing, and I love you, too,” she told him. It felt really good to say, and honestly… everything with him just felt so right. It was so easy with him now.
This user is Mod