The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

MAKING THE SUN STAND STILL [Tag: Karena]

Anonymous
Dec 19, 2013 12:26:59 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 19, 2013 12:26:59 GMT -6

He was cold. He wasn't nervous. That's why he was shivering. He most definitely wasn't nervous.
Yutaka Mifune was calm and not prone to self-doubt. He had the perfect gift for Ren'ai and was utterly certain that the fancy party they were going to would not be a catastrophe.
He repeated this mantra over and over but still could not believe it.

It was his first Winter Solstice with a...Yutaka paused and tried to think of role that Ren'ai played in his life and no word did that justice. She was the reason that the Winter Soltice was a holiday and not just a really short, really cold day.

A third mint found its way into Yutaka's mouth on the ride to Ren'ai's apartment. It should have been funny that a man in his early twenties who lived away from home was trying to hide his smoking from his parents but it wasn't. Given his level of stress Yutaka was tempted to stuff his entire pack of gray Fire Nation produced cigarettes into his mouth and have them lit by a fireball.

Once he stood up after leaving the back seat of his parents' satomobile Yutaka straightened his silver colored tie and tucked in his black shirt into his pants...which he had then notice were starting to slip downward.
Losing some weight had advantages but descending slacks was not one. As annoying as it was, the fact that he had to readjust his belt was a source of pride. The new, merely moderately pudgy Yutaka Mifune now had a foundation of muscle below like wood coated in rubber. He knew he'd never be one of those beautifully sculpted Pro Benders but he liked the idea of one day being one of the guys at work who could take his shirt off during hot days without shame.

Yutaka ran his hand over his hair and once more fretted over the loose versus ponytail debate that he waged with himself. He decided on loose and buzzed the intercom for Ren'ai's room.
"Um, hey, yeah, it's Yutaka...Mifune. I'm here to pick up Ren'ai. There's this party at my parent's place and I don't want to go, really, but I also can't not go and...so...is Ren'ai ready?"
He hoped that Ren'ai was alone and that vomit of words only didn't reach her roommate.

When he heard the door open Yutaka suddenly decided that his hair should be tied back and began doing so.
"I'm never using your intercom again. Please tell me no one was listening."
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Dec 21, 2013 7:40:00 GMT -6

Post by Gia on Dec 19, 2013 17:14:14 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
OOC: used with permission.

Ren’ai was a girly girl, as well as an athlete at heart, so she had started getting ready for the party early. She complained to Yuri about needing to go to this party when she didn’t want to. Her best friend didn’t understand, and asked her why she and Yutaka didn’t just get out of it or only go for a little bit. The Firebender tried to explain that you couldn’t just do that. Besides, his parents were throwing it. Yutaka was obligated to go, and Ren’ai was not about to let him go alone. High society parties like that could be dreadfully boring. Her parents – as well as both of her older brothers as their wives – would likely be there as well, as her family was familiar with Yutaka’s.

Luckily, Ren’ai didn’t have to go to as many parties during Solstice season as her parents did. The dark-haired young woman did not envy them this time of year. Although, she knew staying in this society would mean that she would be obligated to do the same one day. Ren’ai had tried to explain to her that at parties like this, you were obligated to do certain things and stay a certain amount of time – if your parents hosted the party, then you were obligated on even a greater level. Her best friend had just shrugged her shoulders, and said “Okay”. She wasn’t going to argue with her about it, and she knew that the Earthbender would never truly understand – as much as she loved her.

Finally, after riffling through her closet, Ren’ai finally debated between two different dresses – a light blue one with black trim and a red one with gold trim. The Firebender decided on the red dress, because if she wore blue, she’d end up wearing a similar dress as her mother – not to mention her brothers and their wives would likely be wearing blue as well. Her father would either be wearing all black or red, so she decided she’d rather match with him then the rest of her family. She paired the dress with a pair of sliver shoes, and a sliver slash with jewels on it – nothing gaudy or over the top, but just enough. The earrings were dangly, and matched the sash. She had chosen silver eye shadow, and her lips were a neutral color. Her hair she had twisted and put up in a clip, leaving the left over hair that was not in the clip to hang down. It was easy enough that she could take it up or down if she wanted.

Ren’ai heard something on the intercom – a busted thing that didn’t work right, anyway. The apartment building was nice, but it certainly wasn’t high class or anything. She assumed it was Yutaka coming to get her, and she double checked herself before going over and opening up the door. When she opened up the door, her boyfriend – was that the right term? She supposed so – muttered something about never using the intercom again. “It doesn’t work right anyway, so we only hear half of what you say – if we hear anything at all,” she told him, smiling at him. “I’m ready to go if you are.” She grabbed her stuff quickly before walking back over to him. She really hated these kinds of parties, but what you could do? It wasn’t as if they could not be there – they were obligated to be there.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 20, 2013 10:47:41 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 20, 2013 10:47:41 GMT -6

It wasn't until the wonderful news of the broken intercom that Yutaka fully took in Ren'ai, causing him to choke down his mints and temporarily stop breathing.
When he was able to speak Yutaka couldn't find any words of his own to express what he felt like so he used someone else's.
"She walks in beauty like the night." He wondered if after three months Ren'ai had gotten used to his off the cuff poetry quotes.

As he opened the car door for Ren'ai Yutaka considered himself one of most fortunate men in the city. He was born into money and had the most dazzling of women accompanying him. Suddenly, the party he dreaded so much sounded like fun.
"I'm very, very ready."

In relation to his devastatingly beautiful date Yutaka felt more than a little plain, worse he felt like an unattractive rich man showing off his trophy wife. Suddenly, he was very, very un-ready for this party and began straightening his tie again. He looked down to inspect it for spots and then looked at Ren'ai.
"The snow flakes are stupid, aren't they?" he said gesturing to the blue snowflakes embroidered onto his silver tie. "I should pull over and buy a new tie."

Post by Gia on Dec 20, 2013 17:34:25 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
After Ren’ai told Yutaka that the intercom was broken, he seemed to stare at her for a little bit. For a moment, she wondered what it was for until he recited a line of poetry about how beautiful she was. All the dark-haired young woman could do was smile back at him sweetly, and say, “Thank you.” She had learned over the past few months that he didn’t give compliments very well – or receive them, for that matter. Instead of just telling her that she looked beautiful, he always spouted off a line from some poem that she didn’t know. She found it endearing and very sweet – even if she had no taste for poetry herself. It was such a big change from the type of guy she usually dated. It was a little corny, but it was sweet all the same, so she didn’t mind it at all. Besides, it was the feelings behind it that really mattered, right?

When they got down the car, Yutaka opened the door for her, and Ren’ai smiled and slid in. Her date seemed happy, and even said he was “very, very ready”. The Firebender was glad to see the confidence, but it was short-lived. Soon, he started to look down at his tie, and then commented that the snowflakes were stupid. He wanted to pull over and buy a new on. She sighed. “There’s nothing wrong with your tie,” she told him, a patient tone in her voice. “The snowflakes are cute, and I find them very festive.” The dark-haired young woman wanted to tell him to be more confident, but she knew that wasn’t always easy for him. Besides, he was making strides in that department as far as she was concerned. “If you really don’t like it, we can, but that’s just my opinion.” She gave a light shrug. There really wasn’t anything wrong with it – maybe it was a tad corny, but not stupid – and the snowflakes were cute, and they were festive. She hadn’t lied about that.

Sooner than Ren’ai would have liked, they were at the party. She looked out through the car door window and sighed. “So, what’s this going to be like? The usual?” Most high society parties were all the same – dreadfully boring. They were fully of stuffy rich people, with a few notable exceptions, of course. The food was usually pretty good and affairs like this, and sure, there was music and dancing, but… The Firebender had always hated hearing about these kinds of parties, though she had only ever attended ones that were held at her house until she was in her late teens. That’s when her parents started requiring her to go. As a girly girl, she had enjoyed the whole process of getting ready and all that – it was actually being there that tended to grate on her nerves. But she was expected to go and always had been. It was only for this specific one that she felt like she needed to go – for Yutaka.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 21, 2013 9:11:07 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 21, 2013 9:11:07 GMT -6

The Pros and Cons of attending this party were weighed against one another in Yutaka's mind. The cons were that he hated high society parties and would rather be listening to jazzy versions of solstice tunes and that the people around his age tended to be better looking and bound for greatness.
The Pros were that silver and blue packets of yuans were traditionally handed out and this year he had a beautiful woman on his arm.
Greed and the need to show off barely edged out his discomfort but he still wished he could hang out with his driver, the rest of the servants and Ren'ai.

It was oddly uplifting to hear Ren'ai sigh.
“So, what’s this going to be like? The usual?”
"Basically, but the inane blather will be winter and gift themed. The expensive presents they are getting their spoiled kids, where their winter home is. The nice thing is the silver and blue packets going around. It's traditional to give money as gifts at these things and as the son of the hosts I'll probably make about a month's pay."
He sighed and displayed a sideways grin while looking at Ren'ai.
"It's just work without the back pain later."

When the doors opened Yutaka had an odd sense of nostalgia. He always hated Solstice parties but loved the decorations and his parents did not skimp on the adornments. The subtle silver, white and blue color scheme made it seem a little colder than usual. Around the room people dressed in the colors of the season except for the help who remained in black.

Yutaka's fingers twitched and he gently placed his hand behind Ren'ai's and held it as he saw a man and a woman advance.
People who saw Yukio and Takako along with their son often wondered if the only thing they had in common were their names. If one squinted and colored in the touches of gray in his father Yukio's hair, Yutaka could pass for the slightly younger brother. He still had the physique of an avid kuai ball player, only aged.
His mother Takako was the slighter taller of the two and looked as if the winter solstice was the time of year she was unfrozen given her young and pale looks.
"It's nice to see the family complete," Yukio said, looking distinctly at Ren'ai before bowing.
Yutaka was sure that would not be the lone verbal prod into marriage.

The usual banalities were issued. How was work? Fine. Was he still a devotee of the arts? Yes. Did he wish to come back home?...That question but was yes and no.
"I'm happy where I am now." he grasped Ren'ai hand a little tighter as if tether himself to the real world rather than a life of luxurious apathy.
With a practiced deftness and subtlety Yukio and Takako Mifune had separated the two by a massive gulf of two feet. While Yutaka's mother Takako spoke of her worries about her son living in a poorer side of town Yukio asked Ren'ai about the specifics of Pro Bending. In essence, Takako asked if they were living together and Yukio inquired about the health and financial stability of a Pro Bender.
Yutaka likened his parents' words to sharp swords kept in beautiful sheaths.

Post by Gia on Dec 21, 2013 17:02:33 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai gave another sigh as Yutaka explained what the party would be like. “Fantastic,” she said, her voice dripping with sarcasm. Might as well get this over with, she thought to herself as the two of them got out of the car and went inside. Once there, she had to admit, that it was beautiful – a little over the top in her opinion, but absolutely beautiful. She hated the whole atmosphere of these parties, though… even if it was solstice. Yutaka’s hand found hers quickly enough, and she didn’t mind. He would make this night bearable, that was for sure, but she didn’t realize exactly why until she saw his parents coming straight for them. Wow, here less than a minute and already it starts… The dark-haired young woman tried to remember every possible thing her parents had taught her to do at these parties, but found some of it escaping her. All she could do for the moment was smile and address them as politely as possible.

Ren’ai did not miss the verbal prod about marriage. It was annoying and aggravating. She didn’t do subtlety very well, but there were some things that were hard to miss. Yutaka’s parents started to ask about his life, and she just stood there like the good girl she was supposed to be… for now, anyway. He squeezed her hand tighter when they asked him about coming home. She didn’t blame him on that one at all… The idea of going home for her was more than annoying. She loved her parents, but if she had to live under the same roof as them again, she’d probably go crazy. However, that was only part the issues with this whole thing as before she knew, his father had taken her away. Her body tensed up. She didn’t do small talk the way these people did, and the Firebender had a feeling that they were searching for something in her answers that she had to give, but she would be damned if she knew what they were.

Ren’ai tried to be as diplomatic as possible to his father’s answers, but that was not her style. He was asking about Probending, which made no sense to her at all… why would he care in the first place? Did it have something to do with the fact that she was supposed to be marrying their son – if they had anything to say about it, of course – or something else? It made her head hurt just thinking about it, the dark-haired young woman just smiled, and answered every question that he had about Probending, trying to be as vague as possible, but that wasn’t her style, either. She wanted to look back at Yutaka and get back with him somehow. How was she supposed to do that? After a reasonable amount of time had passed, she backed a couple steps up. “If you’ll excuse me, we really should make the rounds, besides, I do still need to find my brothers and my parents.” It was the best excuse she could come up with, and with that, she had turned around and moved towards Yutaka.

Taking her hand in his, Ren’ai smiled at Yutaka’s mother. “I’m so sorry, but if you don’t mind me stealing him, we really should make the rounds,” she said, her voice as polite as she could possibly make it. “Besides, I do need to find my brothers and my parents.” The Firebender gave as sweet of a smile as she could possibly muster before slowly steering her date away. Once she was sure they were out of earshot, she leaned in and said as low as she could manage, “What on earth was that all about?” At least her parents were not quite as subtle, and it wouldn’t give her so much of a headache as that fiasco just had. “I feel like my head is going to explode.” Her brothers and their wives would be a breath for fresh air. They were genuine, and she couldn’t say that about his parents. She envied her little brother, Sukoshi, whom her parents felt that she was too young to attend this.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 22, 2013 13:18:47 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 22, 2013 13:18:47 GMT -6

Yutaka couldn't help but be impressed with his date's careful maneuvering of him from the grip of his parents. It was a skill he'd never seen her demonstrate before.
"Thank you. Thank you. Thank you."
“What on earth was that all about?"
Deciphering the code of his parents' words were not difficult for Yutaka.
"Mother was 'concerned'" Yutaka air-quoted the word to denote irony. "about me living in a dangerous neighborhood but it was really about me moving back in."
He knew that if his mother pressured him on the living situation his father must have asked Ren'ai about the prospect of bearing a child. The very fact that his father was not currently aflame meant that he had approached the subject with at least some tact.
"My father didn't ask anything...inappropriate, did he?"
The only child of the Mifune family knew that if anyone could ask a woman about her fertility with grace and nuance it was Yukio Mifune but that didn't alleve any fears about them embarrassing him in front of his date.

The polite thing to do was to offer to get Ren'ai a drink but Yutaka knew hated the idea of leaving her alone or being alone. He felt like they were benders at a Galgori rally.
Fortunately, a waiter carrying a tray of champagne flutes passed by giving him the opportunity to snag two of the glasses. After a moment of thought Yutaka decided that he could part with one and gave it to Ren'ai.
"Finally, a flute that I know how to play," he said referring to his failed attempts at playing a musical instrument throughout his life.
Yutaka leaned a little to his side and gently bumped his shoulder against Ren'ai's in an effort to tell her not to take his joke too seriously. There was a fine line between self-deprecating humor and self-pity and he thought a gesture was needed to make sure one was not mistaken for the other. He preferred to keep his self-pity for when he was home alone while listening to sad songs.

"How is the team doing?"
If there was one thing that could take Yutaka's mind off of this party it was seeing Ren'ai talk about bending. She positively glowed when she was on that subject for the most part. For the sake of a pleasant Solstice Yutaka prayed that her team was doing well.

Post by Gia on Dec 22, 2013 21:58:37 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai groaned when Yutaka explained what his mother had been asking him about – and how one thing on the surface was really code for something else entirely. “Why can’t they just come right out and say it?” She asked, more to herself than to him. At least with her parents, what you say was what you got. If they weren’t happy, you would be sure to know about it, because it would be all you heard about until you decided to do what they wanted you to do. There was none of this… subtle “I’m going to ask you about this without actually asking you about this” stuff. There were disadvantages to them being more forthright, but at least for now, she would take that any day – at least she could follow along when people were being upfront!

Ren’ai was a bit curious when she thought about the fact that Yutaka asked her if his father had asked her anything “inappropriate”. What was he getting at? What did Probending have to do with…. well, anything inappropriate really? She hoped he clued her on it, if he could figure it out… he seemed to have a better head for all of this than she did. Groaning, she muttered, “I have a headache and we just got here.” Almost at that exact moment, her date grabbed them each a glass of champagne. “You read my mind.” She took a sip, grimacing a bit at the taste. “I don’t care much for champagne – it’s all right – but I’ll take just about anything right now.” She wasn’t normally one for drinking either, but every now and again… you just needed one. Besides, this was going to be a very long night, if the first few minutes were any indication.

Ren’ai did not miss the self-deprecation, and was actually grateful when he bumped his shoulder up against hers. It was good to be reassured that he was just joking and not self-pitying himself – she hated that. Thankfully, Yutaka turned the subject back to Probending – something she could take about and not get a headache. “Well, if by ‘team’ you mean me and Yuri, then fine,” she said, giving him a smirk. The dark-haired young woman took another sip of her drink. “We’re back to our old standard, but still short a Waterbender. “You’d think being related to three of them, it would be easier… but it wasn’t. Besides, asking either Ryouko or Jin was not a good idea, Tadashi had been right about that. “I’m not letting it get to me, though. All we can do is keep trying and do our best, and not listen to my parents saying that they were right all along and Yuri and I should come to our senses.”
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 24, 2013 1:13:58 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 24, 2013 1:13:58 GMT -6

It was gratifying to hear Ren'ai complain and then hear she wouldn't let it get to her. He often forgets his problems rather quickly through games, art and music and wondered if Ren'ai began relaxing more. In return he thought of how he had changed. He certainly didn't feel like the same person he was three months ago. He had lost ten pounds, started drinking less (possibly except during excruciating holiday parties), and even started making friends that could tolerate his presence for more than a few minutes.
If he could become more than a pampered, shut-in Yutaka held no doubt that the Dragon Hawks could find a suitable waterbender.
"I can ask around the Water Department if you want. Maybe there's a natural there wasting their talent unclogging drains and purifying the drinking water."
After a moment of thought Yutaka came formed the idea that perhaps Ren'ai didn't want a solution, but just to vent.
"You'll find someone. Someone worthy of you."
Even to a man known for his self-deprecating humor, or perhaps because of it, that sentence sounded too easy to misinterpret.
"A waterbender, I mean."

He took his eyes off of Ren'ai for a moment and focused them on the ice sculpture on a nearby table of an elaborate snowflake.
"Maybe whoever sculpted that is looking for a more exciting career." He laughed a short laugh. "They can bend ice swans and whatnot at the opposing team."
For the first time that night Yutaka relaxed. The thought of a barrage of ice sculptures amused him immensely.

The night began to steadily improve once Yutaka received his first envelope of the night. A white one. He hoped to add more to his collection and the artist in him hoped that it was a mix of the traditional blue and white for the sake of symmetry but what was truly important were the pink slips inside. He anticipated being gifted enough to pay a few bills and take Ren'ai out for a nice dinner. Not Kwong's nice but a place at least as nice as where they had their first date.

"Maybe this won't be so bad."

Post by Gia on Dec 24, 2013 14:31:50 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai shrugged at Yutaka’s comments. She knew was trying, and she honestly did appreciate it. “You never know,” she chose to say. “Anything’s possible.” It wasn’t that he was wrong, per say, because he wasn’t. Her date had a point, because you never knew where you were going to find one. “After all, we ran into Kamil randomly at the park. Well, not randomly… it was an idea of Tadashi’s to go and show off.” She turned to her date and smiled, taking a sip of her champagne. “It worked that time, because he happened to see us.” It got disheartening sometimes, especially considering that Kamil had only gone through that season, and quit. She was realizing how that it wasn’t necessarily her that chased him off. It may have taken her a while to realize that, though.

Perhaps Probending wasn’t Kamil’s thing, and he knew how she and Yuri would react. Or perhaps he was devastated at their loss… or it just wasn’t a right for him, their team that is. There were plenty of reasons, and her attitude wasn’t necessarily one of them. “Obviously he wasn’t the right fit for the team, though,” Ren’ai decided on saying. Self-pity was something she had indulged in for too long, and if the Firebender was honest with herself – she hated self-pity. Confidence was more her style, so she was going to brush this off and make the best of her situation. When Yutaka made a comment about finding “someone worthy”, she had to fight the urge to shake her head at the comment. She knew what he’d meant, but the way he’d put it was…. Self-deprecating to say the least. “I knew what you meant.”

Ren’ai looked over as Yutaka got his first envelope of the night. She smiled at him when he said that maybe this night wouldn’t be so bad. Almost as if on cue, a tall man came up and hugged her before she could say one word about anything. At first, the dark-haired young woman tensed up before she realized who it was. “Ryouko! I was wondering where you were hiding,” she said, smiling at her oldest brother. In truth, the only thing the two had in common was their height. He was a few inches taller than her. His skin was brown, however, typical with anyone of Water Tribe descent. His hair was brown as well, instead of black – another Water Tribe trait. It was cut short and neat. He wore a simple suit, accented with a blue tie. His wife, Amai, several inches shorter, wore a white dress, with blue accents.

“Around,” he said. “You know how these things are.”

Ren’ai nodded. She did indeed. Turning to Amai, she hugged her sister-in-law, and told her how beautiful she looked. The older woman returned the compliment, telling her she looked amazing. The Firebender just smiled. “Thank you.” It was then that she remembered Yutaka, and turned to him, her mind totally blanking on if he’d met her oldest brother and his wife or not. “Have you two met Yutaka? Ryouko, Amai, this is Yutaka. Yutaka, this is my oldest brother, Ryouko, and his wife, Amai.” She couldn’t remember, but the two smiled politely enough, and held out their hands to shake his, commenting on how wonderful the party was. Of course they would know that it was his parents hosting it. Shortly after, they made their excuses, saying that they needed to keep making the rounds, but her brother made a joke about leaving early – they had a two-year-old, they could do that – but told her to save a dance for him anyway. “No promises,” was all she said in response.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Dec 24, 2013 14:34:26 GMT -6
Anonymous
Dec 27, 2013 0:04:24 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 27, 2013 0:04:24 GMT -6

If Yutaka Mifune were born with a second head, and that of a talking lemur, he could not feel more out of place when Ryouko and Amai made their appearance. Those of old money tended to talk of "good stock" as if people were cattle but seeing these good looking people together made Yutaka thing if there was a genetic lottery these people had won it.

Near the beginning of the glossary of Yutaka Mifune's memory were Ryouko and Amai. Yutaka had met the tan, older brother and his wife at the same party he had made his horrible first impression on Ren'ai. He hadn't said much and hoped that in the months since that first meeting Ren'ai had smoothed over any bumps Yutaka may have created. Amai he had briefly chatted with before over something inconsequential but he found her to be pleasant and unintimidating.

He shook one hand the bowed and gently kissed another and prayed that he didn't get the two confused.
When they left without incident Yutaka assumed that he had either done right or that Ren'ai's family were exceptionally even-tempered. Given what he knew about the firebender beside him he doubted the latter.
"I suppose I should ask now before your dance card is completely filled," Yutaka said with a grin and an out-stretched hand.
"Shall we dance?"

Of all the gaps in Yutaka's self-esteem, ballroom dancing was not among them. He did not consider himself proficient by any means but he was no slouch. In a tasteful setting he could trod the boards in slow and mid-tempo settings and even given enough liquid encouragement engage in the faster style of contemporary dance halls. Besides, he was with the most beautiful woman in the city and he wanted to rub that fact into certain faces.

On the edge of the dance floor Yutaka stood listening to the music and waiting.
"Doesn't exactly swing, does it? I bet at least one of the band is aching to play some ragtime or jazz." He smiled widely at the thought. "Can you imagine the reaction? There would be a fortune lost in broken monocles."

The right note was finally struck and Yutaka, in his overly excited manner, joined in the dancing almost forgetting Ren'ai was with him. Ren'ai had seen him at dance clubs before dancing alone but she'd never seen him ballroom dance.
"Trust me. I'm actually kinda good." On Yutaka's third date with Ren'ai he decided that he would one day dance with her at a lavish party and swore he would not embarrass himself. For once his parents did not take a request for a tutor with any derision. Ballroom dancing seemed like a fine skill for Yutaka to sharpen.

Post by Gia on Dec 29, 2013 16:59:46 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai was glad that Yutaka’s meeting with Ryouko had gone rather well. He seemed nervous, but she was used to that. Besides, it was only natural when meeting family of the person you were dating, especially when that person had two older brothers. She absent-mindedly had meant to ask about their son, Mubai, but had forgotten. Supposedly, they had left them with a sitter. At that moment, though, Yutaka’s voice cut through her thoughts, and she turned to him in surprise. A dance? The Firebender was good at many things, and while she was not a bad dancer, she was not a very good one, either. She could follow well enough, had decent form, but beyond that… She was not all that great. It was something that she had picked up, but she would much rather train or be in a Probending match… read, basically anything else.

Yutaka mentioned changing the tune to something a bit more upbeat, and Ren’ai laughed. “I can imagine,” she told him. “It’d be great, until the backlash, of course.” She could only imagine, but her thoughts were broken Yutaka was dancing all by himself. He was telling her to trust him, that he was actually kind of good. Little did he know that was not about what she was worried. In fact, him not being a good dancer hadn’t even crossed her mind, and she found herself surprised again for the second time in such a short while. The dark-haired young woman just told herself that as the girl, all she had to do was follow. As long as he didn’t try anything fancy, she would fine. She didn’t need to make a fool of them tonight, especially at his parent’s party.

Ren’ai just took his hand, and made her smile. “At least one of us is,” she said. Saying that she hadn’t been worried about him, more about her, sounded too… well, she wasn’t sure what that sounded like, b but they weren’t words that the Firebender wanted to come out of her mouth. “Because I’m kind of… not that good. I’m not that bad, either, though.” She had felt like saying something to make herself feel better about her dancing skills, because… well, she didn’t feel that good about them at all. She could move when she was training, Probending, or anything of the like… but for some reason, she had always felt better dancing. Luckily, she hadn’t seen her parents yet. They were very fine dancers. Sukoshi didn’t want to learn, and Jin and Ryouko were decent – like her – but none seemed to have inherited her parents ability to move together on the dance floor.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 29, 2013 19:28:44 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 29, 2013 19:28:44 GMT -6

It was weird seeing Ren'ai unsure. He was almost feeling territorial about her usurping his role as the one who wasn't one hundred percent sure about something.
"Timidity doesn't suit you," Yataka said while he swept his foot in a half circle and turned them.

For all of his public and social bashfulness dancing held a certain amount of comfort to Yutaka, despite it being a very social and very public activity. It was structured in way that if one did things correctly one did not humiliate themselves and free form enough to allow one to add one's own flair. While he had no strong desire to practice enough to be that good it was still something he enjoyed and something he got to do with Ren'ai all too infrequently.
"We should dance more. Um, think of it as...footwork exercise." Any other ways he could connect dancing and pro bending eluded him. Timing, maybe? Or keeping a rhythm?
"Also..." he said as he dipped his date while avoiding any head injuries. "It can teach you to deal with sudden changes...or something."

It wasn't a floor-clearing, clap-inducing dance but it was competent and most of all it was fun. It wasn't often that he was in one of his elements along with Ren'ai and even more rare that it was an element they could both experience.
The fact that Yutaka's breathing became a little more labored told him that he should run more...which was to say run at all. He knew in his head it was a good idea but running without a destination seemed pointless and tiring.
"I think it will be a while before I'm ready for one of those dancing marathons. I'd probably collapse and they'd have to put me out of misery like an ostrich horse with a broken leg."

Appearing on the dance floor, having a beautiful woman accompany him did no harm either, brought out more people brandishing envelopes which Yutaka thanked them for while mentally spending the money they gave.
"Would you mind if we stepped onto the balcony so I can smoke?"

Once the cold air hit him Yutaka wondered if having a smoke and a few moments alone with Ren'ai was worth the discomfort but that only lasted until he looked to his right and saw who was accompanying him.
Yutaka reached into his black jacket and pulled out a slim case where his gray-colored cigarettes were usually kept. When he opened it he faked a whining moan.
"I can't smoke that. Here. You can have it."
Rather than cylinders of tobacco wrapped paper was instead a lattice necklace embedded with small red gems.
The idea of giving a gift in a public setting seemed too much like showing off for Yutaka's taste. Besides, showing jewelry at a party such as the one they attended invited questions of price and quality, neither of which he wished to answer.
"Happy Solstice." He tried his best to look at Ren'ai but found it difficult.
"I know I'm not good with words...words I make up myself but...you...you're the best thing that has happened to me."

Post by Gia on Dec 30, 2013 16:03:23 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai followed Yutaka’s lead as they danced. She smiled at his words that timidity didn’t suit her. No, she supposed it didn’t. “I’ll keep that in mind,” she told him. The dance floor was not where she felt comfortable – it wasn’t her thing so to speak, and it was a far cry from who she was when she was Probending. The dark-haired young woman was fierce then, often too much so sometimes. The Earthbender tried to link dancing to Probending. She appreciated the effort, but there wasn’t anything similar between them. However, she was not expecting him to dip her, and when he did, she clutched him a little tighter until he let her back up. The Firebender was not sad when the dance ended, though. She preferred many things over dancing, if she was honest with herself. It was nice to see him enjoying himself doing something, though, so she didn’t mind it as much as she used to.

Ren’ai did not miss the fact that his breathing had become somewhat labored, and Yutaka made a comment about not being ready for a dance marathon anytime soon – and joked around about needing to be put out. She rolled her eyes a little. He wasn’t wrong, of course – though she did think he was being melodramatic. She left out what she was thinking, though. If he exercised more, than it wouldn’t be a problem. It had less to do with the fact that she was athletic and he was not, and more to do with the fact… well, everyone should. It was healthy for starters, even if you weren’t a professional-level athlete like her and Yuri. “Marathons are overrated anyway,” she told him. “I’d never do one unless I damn good reason. Give me Probending any day of the week over that.” It was challenging, but doing a marathon of anything just seemed… a bit much to her. Probending was an excellent way to keep in shape, and it didn’t require marathons.

Yutaka was given more money after they stopped dancing, and Ren’ai did nothing but stand there next to him and smile. After that was over, her boyfriend asked her if she minded going outside so he could smoke. Well, of course, she minded but she had told herself not to chastise him for smoking – out loud anyway. The Firebender decided to just shrug, and leave it at that. She hated the damn things, and he knew it. It couldn’t be healthy, for starters. How could it be? It made no sense to her. The smoke itself bothered her, but she always made sure to stand downwind. On bad days, she would have to distance herself a bit to stay away from the smoke so she wouldn’t start coughing. However, after she shrugged her shoulders, she just said, “Okay,” and followed him out on to the balcony.

Ren’ai was prepared to just stand there while he smoked – of course talking to him and what not – when he said that he couldn’t smoke whatever it was he had pulled out of his case and handed it to her. She was slightly annoyed until she felt what was in her hands, and looked down at it. A look of shock crossed her face as she stared at the piece of jewelry in her hands. The gems on it were red – her favorite, of course – and It was just… gorgeous. The Firebender just stood there in shock for a bit, hearing what he was telling her – other than happy solstice, of course. That one was a given. Of course, she had known that he wasn’t good with words, but to hear him say that she was the best thing that ever happened to him was just as beautiful as the necklace that she now held in her hand.

Ren’ai didn’t know what to do. She tried to vocalize her feelings right than, but found that she couldn’t. All that would come out at the moment was a few sputtering’s of words like “I just” and “it’s” and various things like that – nothing that would make sense to anyone. So, despite the fact that Yutaka wasn’t meeting her eyes, the Firebender leaned over and kissed him firmly on the lips. She could not have gotten the smile off her face if she’d tried, but by then, she had regained her ability to speak. “I love it,” she said. “It’s beautiful, and it’s perfect.” She wanted to wear it – she wanted to wear it right now, but she also knew that it would bring questions, especially from those that had noticed she was not wearing it before. She also assumed that it was real – not that she cared, because it was beautiful anyway. However, there was no harm in asking right. “Can I wear it tonight?” He’d need to put it on her of course. Besides, this would delay the fact that she had to give him his gift – and there was no way that it could compare to this.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 30, 2013 23:42:33 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 30, 2013 23:42:33 GMT -6

In preparation of their second date Yutaka made it a point to learn a thing or two about firebending. The tales of the dragons entranced him the most but he often found himself wondering about the breath of fire. What was it like to have that kind of warmth and power inside? Every time he kissed Ren'ai he felt like he was breathing fire. There was always a feeling leftover afterwards like the outline of a flame after it had gone out.

Sharing the same ecstatic smile with Ren'ai for that moment was the highlight of Yutaka's night and when he thought things through declared it instead the highlight of his year.
He still had trouble meeting her gaze and that difficulty increased exponentially when she referred to the necklace as both "beautiful" and "perfect".
"No, it's just very nice. I've seen beautiful and perfect."

The fact that he did not expect Ren'ai to want to wear it immediately made Yutaka feel like a huge fool.
"Uh...just...you know..." He twirled his right index finger to indicate he needed Ren'ai to turn around. Once in her blind spot Yutaka winced and lightly tapped his fist against his forehead.

The gems were real and meant spending nearly four weeks subsisting on instant ramen and baked good on their way to be thrown out but given their opulent surroundings it seemed like a paltry gift. Once the necklace was around his girlfriend's neck and hung there beautifully, Yutaka decided he didn't care. Ren'ai knew to expect back-handed compliments and veiled comments about the price of the necklace...at least he hoped she expected it. Yutaka noticed that while they grew up in wealthy circles his contained more snide put-downs disguised as compliments. Like being punched by someone wearing a velvet glove.

When he saw Ren'ai from the front Yutaka momentarily lost his breath.
"Amazing. You're just..." He raised his hands as if to try to grab the right word from the air. "Radiant. You're like...you're like the sun and I'm just so happy to stand in your light."

"Come on," Yutaka said with a smile that made a little hard to talk as he held out his arm for the incandescent beauty to take.
"Let's show these people what a happy couple looks like."

Post by Gia on Jan 1, 2014 18:49:07 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai wasn’t sure exactly what he meant by he’d seen beautiful and perfect, and the necklace was just very nice. Was he talking about her? It didn’t matter – to her, the necklace was perfect. Of course, Yutaka had to ask her to turn around, only he didn’t do it with those words. The Firebender got the idea, though, when he twirled his finger. So, she turned so that he could put the necklace on her. She knew that people would ask, some would wonder about the quality and price, and such things like that. The Firebender didn’t care in the least. First of all, it was none of their business if it was real – she assumed it was, and everyone else would, too – or how much he spent. On the latter, she honestly didn’t know because it had been a present, and she wasn’t about to let him get bombarded with questions about how much he spent on her. It was none of anyone’s business.

Once the necklace was secure, Ren’ai turned around, unable to wipe the smile off of her face. Yutaka’s reaction told her everything that she needed to. A light blush crossed her face. It was a common misconception that she didn’t blush – because every girl did as far as she was aware. The Firebender tended not to blush at certain compliments that she had received before. She had been compared to the sun before… her ex, Liu, had called her “sunshine”. Hearing Yutaka call her the sun, though, as well as radiant and tell her that he was “glad to be standing her light”… For some reason, it meant a lot more coming from him. All she could say was, “Thank you.” The dark-haired young woman got control herself quickly enough, and the blush faded from her pale cheeks.

Yutaka held out his arm for her to take, telling Ren’ai that they should show them what a happy couple was like. She smiled, not wanting to mention that her parents were happy – as were both of her older brothers and their wives. That wasn’t important right now, and besides, how he had meant it was enough for her. The Firebender took the Earthbender’s arm, and they walked back inside. It wasn’t that long after reentering the party when they nearly ran into her other brother, Jin, and his wife, Kogane. They both hugged her before holding out their hands for Yutaka to shake. “This is my other older brother, Jin, and his wife, Kogane.” Jin looked very similar to Ryouko, only with longer hair. They stood of a height, and the same brown skin, brown hair, and blue eyes that were common with the Water Tribe. Kogane was shorter than her, but shared similar looks with her husband – except her eyes were green.

After greetings were exchanged, Kogane almost instantly noticed her necklace and commented on how beautiful it was. Ren’ai just smiled, and thanked her sister-in-law. “How’s my nephnew?” she asked. Kogane beamed that the baby was fine. She had given birth less than six months ago, and Ren’ai hadn’t been over often enough to see the little boy, not that their family needed another boy, of course, but he was adorable, and named Ling. With that, the other couple excused themselves and made their way back into the party, though her brother said to save her a dance. “Get in line,” was all she told him as they walked off. Turning to Yutaka, she smiled, and said, “My brothers are done. Now all that’s left is my parents.” That was going to be slightly less fun than her brothers, but she was too happy with her present to care. In all this excitement, it had completely slipped her mind that she hadn’t given Yutaka anything.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jan 1, 2014 21:37:05 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 1, 2014 21:37:05 GMT -6

Meeting Jin and his wife had gone better than meeting Ryouko and his wife. Most of his awkward nervousness had dissipated while still in the glow of making his girlfriend speechless for a few moments. Even meeting Ren'ai second perfect looking brother and his perfect looking wife couldn't bring him down. Shaking Ryouko's hand, though, made Yutaka self-conscious about how calloused his hands had gotten over the last three months due to work. His recent promotion meant less work in the sun but didn't mean less heavy lifting. As the new guy training under others in building foundation repair it was his job to carry the bulk of the extra soil and other equipment.
Meeting Ryouko make Yutaka feel like an effete, pampered rich boy while Jin made him feel like an unworthy cur who should be grateful that he could spend a short time in the presence of his goddess sister.
Nearly a tenth of a second of contemplation was needed for Yutaka to realize he was just insecure. He was used to the arrogant and insincere so it was difficult not to see that quality everywhere.
By the time the handshakes ended so did Yutaka's crisis of doubt. They were just nice people. Ren'ai came from a nice family.
"Pleased to meet you. Both of you."

Once Ren'ai mentioned meeting her parents Yutaka pulled a blue handkerchief from his pocket and wiped his brow. He wasn't sure if he was sweating for real but he felt like he was.
"Does this floor feel uneven to you? It feels uneven. I'll call and see if I can get someone here to look at the foundation. I think I left my oven on and I think I'm pregnant. I can't possibly meet your parents. Very sorry."

As the people who helped facilitate his relationship with Ren'ai via a pressured first date Yutaka held a dual view of Ren'ai' parents. He was deeply grateful to them for getting the opportunity to date their wonderful daughter but at the same time he didn't know if he was anything to them other than a source of income in the same way his parents saw him as the source of a grandchild.
"They're nice people...right? I only met them briefly the night we met. They seemed nice but that was before. I'm sure that they see me differently now than they did a few months ago."
Yutaka took hold of Ren'ai's hand for support. "They have the second most important opinion of me in the world right now."
He paused and squeezed her hand gently while smiling. "Obviously, the first is that of my foreman, but since he'd not here yours will have to do. Um, you know I'm kidding, right?"

Even holding Ren'ai's hand couldn't calm Yutaka completely. He wanted to be anywhere else, envelopes full of yuans be damned. That party-bereft future took hold in Yutaka's mind.
"What would you like to do afterward? We could be the nicest dressed couple in the bending practice fields." For some reason the idea of practicing bending in the cold weather dressed for a fancy party amused Yutaka.

Post by Gia on Jan 5, 2014 16:23:15 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ren’ai was proud of Yutaka… he seemed to do much better with meeting Jin and Kogane than Ryouko and Amai. Of course, they were both much happier after him giving her the present that he had gotten for her. He said a bunch of silly stuff as excuse as to why he couldn’t possibly meet her parents. She rolled her eyes. “Don’t be ridiculous,” she told him. “You’ve already met them. We’re just saying hi as part of protocol at parties like this.” She wasn’t saying that he shouldn’t be nervous or anything. She had been slightly nervous when saying hi to his parents, and of course, that had turned out disastrously. Not by anything that she did, but because his parents were… well, snide, to put it lightly. Her parents would be much better by comparison – at least they were upfront and honest, even if their honesty was annoying at times. It wouldn’t hurt them to be a little nicer at times, even if it meant being fake.

Yutaka seemed to seek reassurance about her parents. “Nice is a relative term,” Ren’ai said honestly. “I don’t think they will see you any differently, though, not really.” That was true. They saw him as a possible husband for her – end of story. He was money, and therefore, okay in their books. The fact that she had ended up actually liking him was a bonus in their book. How hypocritical… it still blew her away that a couple that had married based on love had entertained the idea of marrying their daughter off for money – because they had more kids than her father felt safe splitting up to in order to secure the future of his grandchildren and their children… Sure, it wasn’t as if her father’s fortune was stagnant since his parents died and he moved from the Fire Nation to Republic City. Sure, he no more monetary ties to the Fire Nation anymore, but he had plenty of monetary ties here in Republic City. He would be fine splitting the money four ways – and so would his grandchildren.

Ren’ai pushed thoughts out of her head as Yutaka kept talking. This time, after saying that her parents had the second most important opinion to him, he was joking around about his foreman’s opinion meaning more to him than her own opinion. Of course, the Earthbender made sure to emphasize that he was joking. She just rolled her eyes, and gave him a small smile. “Obviously you were joking,” she told him. The next thing he did was suggest that they leave and go practice afterwards. “Best idea I’ve heard all night.” Sure, it would be kind of ridiculous to do so while dressed up, but… hey, what did she care? Sure, the Firebender’s dress would restrict her movements a bit. It would give him a bit of an edge, but only a bit. She typically took it easy on him, anyway. After all, she was professional-level and he was not. It was only fair that way. “First, though, we need to find my parents and say hi. Then, I have to dance with both of my brothers. They we can get of here.”

Ren’ai hadn’t minded this party as much as others she’d been to… maybe that were because she had someone to enjoy it with. The dark-haired young woman had not taken Yuri to any of the parties that she went to, at least not since they were kids. It was not her best friend’ scene and the only party that they were invited to was the one her parents held that was coming up soon. “Now, let’s see where my parties got off too, so we can get this over with,” she said under her breath. The Firebender hadn’t seen them all night. Usually, they found her father quickly at these sorts of things, as if making sure that she had actually shown up – not that she didn’t always show up when required to her by her station as a rich man’s daughter. Just as she was about to get frustrated – her father was tall and undoubtedly dressed in red, how hard could he be to find – she spotted them. “There they are, let’s go.” She grabbed his hand, ensuring that he would come with her without dragging him.

Ren’ai smiled as they approached. “Hello, Mom, Dad, you both look great,” she told them. Not that was any surprise. They were both very good dressers. Her father, as predicted, was dressed in a red dress shirt and black pants, matching his daughter just as she had thought he would. It would be obvious looking at him that she was her father’s daughter. They were both tall and thin, her father being less athletic than his daughter due to his age. His hair, once black like hers, was now mostly gray. Usually, it was left down, but today, it was back in a ponytail for the occasion. His skin was pale, just like hers, and his eyes the same shade of amber – just like hers. He was nearing sixty, and while they age showed, he was still in a good shape for a man his age.

Ren’ai’s mother you wouldn’t know was related to her unless she told you. She was shorter than her by a few inches, and matched her brothers in looks – dark brown hair, which she had up in an elaborate up-do, brown eyes, and brown skin. She was wearing a blue dress, as predicted, with understated but very fine jewelry. The only thing that she didn’t have in common with her three sons was their height – all three of which had gotten that from their father. It was also obvious that her mother was several years younger than he husband – twelve in fact, and age was only mildly catching up to her, since she was only her late forties, unlike her husband. Both hugged her before turning to her boyfriend. Her father held out his hand to shake Yutaka’s, and his wife held out her hand as well, greeting him as politely as could be expected from her parents. Stiff was good word for them – stiff but polite, at least for now.

Ren’ai, of course, made sure to introduce them properly – Tasukete and Kyouko, her parents – not that Yutaka wouldn’t already know that. Her mother spotted her necklace, and the Firebender smiled. Kyouko didn’t need to be told that Yutaka had bought it for her. They knew it was new and that she couldn’t afford it. Her mother turned to her daughter’s date and complimented him on his taste. The Firebender didn’t want to spend any more time in her parents presence if she could help it, so she excused them, saying that she needed to go find Ryouko and Jin, because she had promised them both a dance before the night was over. They commented that it was still early, to which she was forced to agree. They parted, her parents commenting to Yutaka that it was nice to see him again before the two couples parted ways. The dark-haired young woman turned to her date and smiled. “See, that wasn’t so bad, was it? They were very decent tonight.”
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jan 6, 2014 2:07:53 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 6, 2014 2:07:53 GMT -6

“I don’t think they will see you any differently, though, not really.”
Yutaka let out dismissive grunt.
"That was before. They could have...um, buyer's remorse. I mean, something may look nice in the store but when you get home and it's dating your daughter you might not like it."

Pro bending was not Yutaka's sport but getting hit by a few fireballs was nothing compared to the torture that was a fancy party filled with people he didn't like...and Ren'ai's family. Besides, he almost confident enough to bend in public against Ren'ai. His girlfriend had a built-in feature to preserve his manliness if someone mocked him...people who laughed would not fare much better. Death by fire and potential mockery aside, watching Ren'ai bend when she was feeling competitive was a sight to behold. She looked beautiful in everything but fire and victory suited her most of all.

When Ren'ai's parents entered his field of vision Yutaka stole a glance at Ren'ai to remind himself that everything that happened that night, no matter what, would be worth it because he would leave with her.
There was no silent judging from what Yutaka would see and Kyouko seemed legitimately impressed with the necklace he had gifted his girlfriend previously that night and even complimented his taste.
"Thank you. Red is definitely Ren'ai's color and I had to do quite a bit of looking to find one with the right shade of amber to bring out her eyes. Where do you get your jewelry?"
Before a conversation about jewelry hunting could begin Ren'ai gracefully opened the exit door leading away from the conversation. Yutaka made slight bow to both once he was out of handshake or kiss range.

"That wasn't so bad. Your dad didn't punch me and your mother even said I have good taste. Hey, maybe we can go jewelry shopping with your mother some time." Yutaka wished he could take back that last idea. He had enough hobbies that were considered unmanly without adding the fact that he enjoyed shopping for jewelry.

After a pause Yutaka broke down. "Somebody has to say it. You have a really attractive family. So good-looking and pleasant. Part of me is intimidated and the other part wants to eat one of you and absorb your powers of beauty and kindness."
He let out a couple of short chuckles at the thought of himself looking like one of Ren'ai's brothers or her father. It seemed odd when he thought about how Ren'ai would be kissing someone that looks like they could be related. That odd thought was creepy enough to make Yutaka appreciate his own looks...as less than idol-worthy as they were.
"It's a family I wouldn't mind being part of. Wanna trade? My father can teach you kuai ball and mother can teach to mix insults into your compliments." Yutaka coughed and tried to imitate his mother's slightly high pitched voice with the right tone of smug condescension. "'What a lovely dress! I could never wear something like that. I'm afraid I would look like a whore.'"

"Would you like to go find your brothers so you can finally start throwing fireballs at me? I think I have a chance of blocking one or two. I've been...kinda, sorta training. Nothing serious. Friend throws fire at me I throw rocks at her. It's more fun than I thought when you have a friend around."

Post by Gia on Jan 6, 2014 17:46:00 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Yutaka seemed to do better than her parents than with her brothers! Ren’ai was a bit surprised, but didn’t show that emotion on her face. Her mother commenting on his taste in jewelry seemed to open up a floodgate – at least compared to how un-conversational he’d been with Ryouko and Jin. Nevertheless, she was grateful to not be near them anymore. However, his comment about going jewelry shopping with her mother caused her to give him a very strange look. “Have fun,” she said, the tone in her voice saying clearly what she thought of hanging out with her mother. “I don’t hang out with my parents if I can void it, do you?” Maybe some people had good relationships with their parents, but she did not. Her relationship with both of them was strained, and that wasn’t likely to change.

What Yutaka said next kind of surprised her… It wasn’t that she didn’t know her family was attractive, Ren’ai just never thought about it. She knew that he was insecure, but she didn’t realize that it was bothering him that much – although she didn’t find the comment about him wanting to eat one of her family members appropriate or funny or amusing at all. When he asked her if she wanted to trade her family for hers, the Firebender immediately shook her head. She had to laugh at his impersonation of his mother. It was amusing. “No, I’m good,” she told him. “I may not like my parents, but at least I know where I stand with them – a severe disappointment.” The dark-haired young woman knew that she had mentioned that before. “And if you think my parents are pleasant, you’ve haven’t been a disappointment to them yet. My brothers and I are, yes, and I have no idea how we turned out so well with them for examples.”

It really was surprising that the four of them had turned out well even though their parents had a habit of continually reminding you when what you did was not exactly what they wanted you to do. Both of her older brothers were living off their parent’s money, married, and each had a kid. This was exactly what they wanted from their children, so they had no reason to be disappointed with them. However, she was a Probender, living away from home and working as a waitress instead of living off of her parent’s money. It was one disappointment after another as they were concerned, and they reminded it of her every time she saw them – except for tonight, because it was neither the time nor the place. Just wait for the next family dinner, and it would all start up all over again. She could miss that yet she would still go, and she knew that she would continue to go.

Ren’ai smiled as Yutaka suggested finding her brothers so they could leave. She was a tad surprised when he mentioned he’d been training. “It is a lot of fun,” she agreed. That wasn’t why she and Yuri had started. They had wanted to be Probenders, end of story. It didn’t hurt that they enjoyed it, though, and if they didn’t… then they might not be doing it. Sure, losing sucked, but that was another story all together. “And that sounds like a wonderful idea. Let’s see if we can find them.” The Firebender spotted Jin first, and waved both him and Kogane over. “You wanted a dance, big brother, here’s your chance.” He made a comment about her being too forceful, but agreed. She let Jin lead through the dance, glad when it was over. She walked back over to Yutaka. “I suppose I should go find Ryouko now before he finds me. Are you two leaving early?” Of course, they were, they told – a baby was a great excuse.

Once they left, Ren’ai turned to Yutaka. “One down, one to go.” Now to find Ryouko.
This user is Mod