The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Not Your Average Day [Tag: Tadashi]

Post by Gia on Nov 10, 2013 18:52:24 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ichiro walked around the restaurant slowly, greeting customers – a smile, a quick word, and he was on to the next table. He didn’t have any paperwork to do, and the drawer didn’t need to be counted yet. Was it sad that he was getting used to all this, or is that the way that it was supposed to be? He was wearing a pair of simple black slacks, much like he always wore to work. His shirt was a nice medium shade, though, not white, and he was not wearing an apron. His hair, as always, was back in a ponytail. As the manager on duty, he could leave it down, but there was something weird about coming to work with his hair not tied back. The lunch rush was dying down. He wondered if his old couple would come in, because they didn’t want anyone else to take them but him. He was grooming Ken to take them when he was acting as a manager, but they insisted that he talk to them, and were in fact very thrilled that it seemed as if they restaurant was saying in the family, and raved about him constantly.

Looking around, he knew he had to let one of his wait staff to go home for the day. The dinner staff would be coming in about an hour or so, and he would need to start phasing the current roster out for the day. Tapping one of the newer staff, a young man by the name of Daisuke, on the shoulder, he asked if he had any tables. He responded no, that his last table had just left. “Do your side work, clean your tables, and you can go.” He nodded, and went off to do his work. That would leave him with Ken and Ami, who were a bit more experienced. Daisuke was doing just fine, though, but today had been his first day opening, and he was scheduled to go home first. Next was Ken and then Ami was last. Walking over to Ami, he said, “I’m talking Daisuke off rotation, it’s too slow.” She nodded, and went over to the host stand, which was empty at the moment, and scratched him off the list. Ichiro wasn’t a manager – not yet, anyway, but he was acting as one today, since Lian was off.

His father was closing tonight, Lian was off, and he had opened. Not everyone had been thrilled when he had been officially promoted, being the owner’s child and all, but they were getting used to it. He knew how to do his job. He knew that his parents were grooming him to take over, and was wondering if they were going to retire soon. Ichiro didn’t want to think about that, but more and more, he had a feeling that his parents wanted him to run the restaurant – and sooner rather than later. Sighing, the Waterbender shook his head. If that was the way it was going to be, then that was the way it was going to be. After all, he had no other job prospects and this was the only thing that he had ever done. It wasn’t really that bad, and he did truly enjoy his job, but he hated the fact that it was expected. The pay rise was, though he still worked for tips, and his father let him handle most of the private parties, now too. That made him think that for certain he wanted him to run it before too long.

Ichiro wondered if he should go ahead and do the paperwork that he needed to do early. It couldn’t, right? Ken and Ami could handle it up here while he did what needed to be done in the back and that way he could come back up here before having to count the drawer. His old couple walked in right at that moment, though, he walked up to them, smiling. “Hey, how are you two doing today?” They both said just fine, and he went and sat them down in their usual seat. They commented on his change of dress and asked if he was running the place yet. The Waterbender just laughed. “Oh, no, just today because my father closes and Lian needs to have a day off.” He glanced at Ken to make sure that he had seen them. They didn’t really like Ami for some reason, though he wasn’t sure why. Ken made his over as they started to ask him how everything was going, his training. He thought it was kind of sweet that they wanted to know how his life was going, though they were was never anything to tell really. In fact, his life was extremely boring outside of work. He really needed to get a date – or at least a friend of some kind.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 10, 2013 21:09:47 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 10, 2013 21:09:47 GMT -6

Even though he knew it was Ren'ai's day off, Tadashi still walked into Watashi's out of habit. He had practically grown up eating at this restaurant, after all, and as far as he was concerned no other place had better tasting food. Enough memories of coming with Yuri to catch Ren'ai on her breaks and order just some appetizers while they chit-chatted... but things were different now. Even after patching things up with the girls after his long absence, Tadashi decided it was probably safer to come visit on a different shift, and give his friends some space. They all had to get used to each other again. Pushing himself into proximity with them wouldn't give them time to heal, it would just agitate the hole in their shared histories.

But he was starving. Tadashi hadn't eaten lunch yet and he only had morning classes at the Air Temple that day, so he had decided to come back to the city before realising that he hadn't stopped into the temple dining room first. Stupid, stupid, stupid, had been his initial reaction. Fortunately, it wasn't like he'd have had to look far for food, and he had the money to spend.

"Good afternoon, just one today?" the hostess asked as he walked in.

"Yes please, arigatō, ryōtei-san," Tadashi answered, bowing respectfully and following her to a small two-person table in a corner of the restaurant. He asked for a water, which she filled from a pitcher on the counter across the aisle, and then handed him a menu and said,
"Someone will be with you shortly." He smiled at her and turned his attention to the menu as she walked away.

Actually, by this point he really didn't need to look at the menu, but for whatever reason he was always riveted by the descriptions of the foods — even foods he didn't like. Since becoming an Air Acolyte he had, of course, adopted a vegetarian diet and found it much to his liking; but Tadashi loved learning and he loved words. He started reading through the entire list of appetizers intently, enjoying the atmosphere of the restaurant. It wasn't too busy, since he was slightly late for his meal, so it didn't feel that different from most parts of the Air Temple itself. Whenever his server showed up, he'd just order the usual.
This user is a former member

Post by Gia on Nov 12, 2013 17:40:12 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ichiro had been about to go over to Ami and tell her that he was going to go ahead and get his paperwork out of the way when he saw another customer walk in. At first, he didn’t think anything of it – customers always came in, this was a restaurant after all. That was until he saw who it was – it was Tadashi, a friend of Ren’ai and Yuri. He used to come in here fairly often, but if memory served, he hadn’t been in here in quite some time. For a moment, the Waterbender almost decided to ignore him, but they had spoken before, at one of the girls’ Probending matches, though he couldn’t for the life of him remember who the other team was, only that the girls had won that game, and he had been sitting next to and chatting with their friend, Tadashi. He hung back, though as Ami went up to the table, as it was her turn on rotation since Ken had taken the elderly couple.

Ichiro waited until Ami had vacated the table, and then a bit longer before making his way over there. “Well, long time no see,” he said as he reached the table. “Didn’t you used to come in more often than… well, never?” He was pretty sure that Tadashi had been in here a lot of the years, but he couldn’t be entirely sure before he started waiting tables and Ren’ai started working there. The Air Acolyte would be able to tell by the different colored shirt – blue instead of white – and lack of apron that he was not a waiter today, and the brunet wondered what he would think about that for a minute. It had, after all, been quite a while since he had been here to his knowledge. The girls hadn’t mentioned him at all recently, or well, Ren’ai hadn’t. He didn’t actually work with Yuri at all. Where they even still talking? He pushed thoughts out of his head as he looked down at Tadashi.

If Ichiro’s memory served him, they hadn’t really had much a chance to talk at either of their first two meetings, and thus, both had been brief. The first time, if he remembered correctly, Ren’ai and Yuri had been recruiting for a Waterbender – or at least that’s what it looked like. The second time, they had been at the match. Both times he distinctly thought that Tadashi had blushed, though he couldn’t remember why. It had been quite a while, so the Waterbender’s memory wasn’t as sharp about the instances as he might have been if they had been more recent. It wasn’t a big deal at all, but more of a curious thought than anything else. He brought his mind back to the present, and glanced around to make sure that Ami and Ken were fine before looking back at Tadashi. “Miss our food too much?” Obviously he had since it had been a while since he’d been in here.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 14, 2013 18:54:24 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 14, 2013 18:54:24 GMT -6

Halfway through the speciality sandwiches, Tadashi was startled to hear a voice right next to his table, and it wasn't the hostess. More to the point he was being awfully familiar with Tadas-- "Ichiro?!" Tadashi blinked a few times and then his eyes opened wide. It was him. The cute waterbender from months ago. He remembered now; the day he and Yuri had convinced Ren'ai to go to the park to scope out a probending waterbender, Ren'ai had pointed Ichiro out. He was her boss's son, a waterbender but not a probender, and gay. He'd also spent most of that day shirtless, and had joked around with Tadashi because the acolyte couldn't keep his feelings under wraps. Tadashi had also run into Ichiro in the stands at one of the Dragon Hawks' probending matches later that season. They'd also seen each other a few times here at Watashi's since then, but just in passing. Something... was different.

"Actually, yes, I did!" Tadashi answered. "It's been so long since I had time to come in here, and I'm tired of eating food that I had to cook myself." He was about to gesture to the only other chair at the table until he realised that Ichiro was probably working, and he needed to place his order. He was then about to place his order, when what was different finally clicked. He stared at Ichiro's blue shirt, then shot a glance to the hostess in the standard white-apron uniform, and leaned back to see the only other employee in sight also wearing a white shirt and apron. "Uhm..." he finally said, looking up at Ichiro again. "So, are you like, in charge of this place now?" Out of confusion more than almost anything else, he gestured to the chair after all.

As he was stuttering, however, Tadashi was giving Ichiro a once-over. He was looking good, actually not terribly different from... had it been almost a year since they met? His hair was back in a ponytail, which Tadashi had only ever seen here at the restaurant; as always his brilliant blue eyes were the most startling (and tantalising) feature, and the staff shirt he wore made them stand out even more. He looked good in a manager's uniform, the black slacks mirroring his dark hair, the shirt matching the eyes. I mean, he looks good anyway, but still.

Tadashi was no idiot. He knew he was attracted to the waterbender, but he wasn't sure how deep the attraction went. In fact, he mused, the first time we met, I decided I wasn't that attracted to him. It could be any number of things — he had just gotten through one of the toughest times of his life and wanted someone to be able to talk to; he might be fascinated with Ichiro simply because they were both gay; or, there might be the possibility of something deeper.

First things were first though. First, he wanted to catch up with Ichiro for old times' sake. And secondly, he wanted his rice pilaf.
Last edit by Deleted: Nov 14, 2013 18:54:53 GMT -6

Post by Gia on Nov 14, 2013 19:11:54 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ichiro stood aside to let Ami take Tadashi’s food order before talking to Tadashi again. He saw the waitress give him a look after she’d turned her back but he ignored her. Ami was great; she was bubbly, an excellent waitress, the patrons loved her… she was also nosy, and very interested in the love lives of her friends – of which he was apparently one. Once she was gone, he looked back at Tadashi, a light smile playing on his lips. “Our food’s good, too, though, I may be biased as my family owns the place, and I have to eat her quite a lot.” Well, he didn’t have to eat here, but it was much easier to eat here considering how much he worked. He’d been working a lot lately since the other manager had quit, since he’d have to work doubles sometimes. After all, he wasn’t officially a manager – he was still technically a waiter that did managerial duties. “That’s what we’re here for, though. To feed those who do not wish to cook themselves.”

“Not really,” he said. “We’re short a manager, since one quit quite a while ago now, and I’ve been in charge when my dad and Lian, his assistant manager, are off.” Ichiro shrugged. “It’s Lian’s day off, and my father closes, so here I am.” Since they were talking, the Waterbender squatted down next to Tadashi’s table, so he was now looking up at him instead of down. Ironically, if they were both standing, Tadashi would be a couple inches taller than him, if memory served. He couldn’t kneel down, either, because that might get his pants dirty, and he still had sometime left to work. “My father’s been training more and more to be a manager, but I’m not officially a manager yet. I’m a waiter who manages.” He shook his head. “I’m not sure I understand, but I’m assuming that my father knows what’s he doing.” After all, he had run the restaurant for about ten or fifteen years now.

Ichiro thought he saw Tadashi giving him a once over, but he couldn’t be certain. It was a little hard for the Waterbender to do that while he was sitting down. Sure, they’d flirted before, but that was innocent, and it didn’t tell him whether or not the Air Acolyte was attracted to him. He hated this in between part. Yes, he found Tadashi attractive, though he wasn’t usually into the whole… bald monk thing. However, they got along decent enough. He wasn’t sure if there was anything there beyond the fact that he enjoyed spending time with him. “So, what have you been up to? It’s been a long time since I’ve seen you.” He couldn’t stay squatted down like this for long, and would have to leave soon to do his paperwork and count the drawer before his dad came in. He had some time, though, thankfully. He’d be able to talk to Tadashi, since who knew when he’d see him again.

In all honesty, Ichiro felt that he needed to get out and do something with someone, whether that was an actual date or not. However, he'd run into Tadashi before, and it had been nothing more than just talking to a friend of a friend. He had no idea whether or not the Air Acolyte had even considering him as anything more than his friend's boss' son - like that wasn't confusing at all. His parents wanted him to date, and if that's how it was going to be, great, but... honestly, he would take anything right now. He was such a workaholic, and he didn't mind being that way at all. In fact, he liked being that way. However, doing nothing but work was getting to hi, but he wouldn't do anything by himself except for train and read, and that wasn't much of a life. His parents kept telling him that he worked too much, yet asked him to worked and told him that he needed friends and a boyfriend. He was only human. What more did they want? Mentally shaking thoughts off, he decided to concentrate on his conversation partner for now.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Nov 14, 2013 19:16:13 GMT -6
Anonymous
Nov 20, 2013 17:30:05 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 20, 2013 17:30:05 GMT -6

Tadashi took all the information in as Ichiro squatted down next to him, rather than sitting opposite him. That was a good thing, right? If he'd actually taken the chair, they would have been separated by the table; that meant Ichiro was comfortable enough with him to stay close. How comfortable? The acolyte didn't have an answer to that. He didn't object to their relative positions at all though. They were able to converse closely and really look at each other. Whether as friends or as... the potential for something else... it was good to know that Ichiro was that at-ease with him.

Another part of Tadashi's brain was processing what the waterbender told him about his father and Lian. This also sounded like a great thing — being groomed for a top job by the man in charge! — that is, if it was what Ichiro wanted to do with his life. They didn't know each other that well yet, for Tadashi to be able to tell whether he enjoyed working at the restaurant. He was absolutely professional, though he was doing a great job of being friendly as well. Tadashi thought it was more than just courtesy that prompted Ichiro's question.

"Seven months, at least," Tadashi grimaced, running his left hand across his short-buzzed hair and leaving it to rest on the back of his neck. "I am sorry about, both as a friend and a customer. My gr..." his voice choked for just a moment but he pulled himself together and went on, "I had to take care of my grandma. I wasn't able to get out hardly at all." And I have no doubt he caught that, Tadashi thought drily. He remembered how observant Ichiro had been many other times when he had stuttered over words or started to say something and thought better of it. At least this one wasn't embarrassing... just emotional. 

"In fact that's about all I've been up to," he went on. "We had a couple of rough patches but she finally managed to pull through. I mean, we all know she's getting old and sooner or later we really will lose her, but I'm just glad it wasn't this time." Stop it, stop it, you're babbling. "And you probably didn't really want to hear about all my problems. How about you? You must have had a more interesting time than I did. Anything new and exciting besides a possible promotion?" He leaned forward toward Ichiro, his eyes conveying eager interest. 

Post by Gia on Nov 20, 2013 20:53:55 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ichiro liked this… talking to someone. He wanted to forget that he was at work, and just wanted to be talking to Tadashi. Unfortunately, he was at work, so he couldn’t sit here and talk as long as he’d like. Eventually, he’d have to get up and do his managerial stuff before his father came in. He still had some time, though, so he’d enjoy it while he could. Of course, this could all be because he had no one to talk to outside of work, because all he did was work. However, the Waterbender knew full well that the person he was talking to was at very least a friend. If anything more was there… well, if they chose to figure that out, great, if not, he would be just fine with this. As long as he had someone outside of work, but it sounded way too lame to admit that out loud. What were you supposed to say? Yeah, outside of the people I talk to outside of work, I really have no friends. Sure, Ami invited him out every now and again, but he wasn’t much for going out and drinking. That wasn’t his scene.

A look of shock crossed Ichiro’s face as Tadashi admitted that his grandmother has been ill. That would certainly explain why he hadn’t been around. He didn’t blame the Air Acolyte on bit. His own grandfather’s health was failing, as well, though he wasn’t going anywhere yet. It was just a fact of life. It didn’t sound anything like what Tadashi had been going through. “Oh, wow, I am so sorry to hear that she sick, though of course, I don’t know her, but still,” the Waterbender said, laying a hand on his arm for a moment. “I’m glad that she’s doing better, for you anyway. It’s totally understandable that you were preoccupied, and don’t worry, I do want to hear.” All through this though, he had a momentary thought that he was glad that Tadashi seemed to think of him as a friend – he’s said so out loud. That was something, right? Seven months of not talking when you barely knew each other. Realizing that he’d left his hand on the other man’s arm, he removed it, setting it back down on the table where it had been previously.

Ichiro knew better than to ask more about Tadashi’s grandmother. His behavior when he had brought it up was evident. He didn’t want to talk about it, and the Waterbender respected that. He didn’t know how it would feel to have to take care of his grandmother or grandfather if the positions were reversed. He wasn’t sure if either of their health’s failed to the point where they couldn’t take care of themselves – and their spouse couldn’t either – he wasn’t sure how their family would deal with it. However, the brunet didn’t want to think about that, and he would much rather think about anything else right now than declining health of family members, especially considering how close it must hit home for Tadashi. Luckily for him, the Air Acolyte changed the conversation all on his own, and of course, why wouldn’t he? Of course, the question that he asked made things a bit awkward for him.

Ichiro diverted his eyes from Tadashi’s gaze, glancing down at his hands. Knowing that he couldn’t get away with doing for long, the Waterbender lifted his blue gaze back up. “You’d think so, but no,” he admitted. “If I’m going to be honest, I have no life outside of work. I mean, I’ve been working a bit more since I’ve been being in charge more often and we’ve been short a manager.” That’s no excuse, though, and he knew it. He could make time to go out, but who with? It was hard to find people who wanted to do things with you when you did nothing but work. “I mean, other than that, I do train, and I have lessons every now and again with my instructor, Daichi, but…” He shrugged. “Other than, that’s pretty much been my life since I last saw you.” Wow, so he dealt with his grandmother’s failing health, and he did what… work? Train? “Wow, that sounds so lame when I say that out loud,” he said, giving a short laugh as he shook his head.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 23, 2013 18:59:28 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 23, 2013 18:59:28 GMT -6

Goosebumps went down Tadashi's arm as Ichiro laid a comforting hand on his own arm. He stopped thinking about the goosebumps after only a second, though; Ichiro was being so considerate and kind, and he sounded like he really was sorry, even though as he said he hadn't met Grandma Sora yet. It was very sweet of him. It was also very sweet of him to say that he did want to hear more, but Tadashi just wasn't feeling that. He was, however, still feeling goosebumps. Why am I covered in-- oh, his hand is still on my arm. Awkwardly he glanced at it, but it was just as Ichiro pulled away. The feeling of vague disappointment that it left behind was also awkward.

Meanwhile, Ichiro was answering Tadashi's quick-subject-change question, and admitting that he didn't do much else besides work and training, and lessons — I'll have to ask about that later — and Tadashi's heart basically cried out for his waterbending friend. No fun, at all? No free time, no people that he could hang out with? "No no no, that doesn't sound lame at all," Tadashi insisted. "It's just... kind of sad. I-I mean that in a genuine way, not a sarcastic way."

He felt the words bubbling up in his throat, and started to tighten his throat or do something to prevent it, but all of a sudden he decided that maybe it was worth the risk. Just to avoid looking like to much of an idiot, he moved his hands under the table and clasped his fingers together tightly, so he wouldn't slap his hand over his mouth if he regretted it. Then he let it out-—

"Would you like to go out sometime?"

Good thing he'd locked his fingers. He still had to fight the blood rushing up into his face. "I mean not as a couple, as like friends, unless you want it to be as a couple, but you don't need to feel pressured about it, it's just that if you don't get to hang out much outside of work then I'd like to get out and have fun with you and do something, and really just do whatever you want but it's just a lot nicer when you have friends to be with and you're my friend and I hate to think that you're driving yourself crazy because I don't like to see anyone that way much less someone that I've been getting to know better and that I sort of like oh my god please shut me up," he concluded with his forehead on the table, having slowly lowered it during his entire monologue. Kill me now, please.

Post by Gia on Nov 23, 2013 19:57:32 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Ichiro gave a light chuck as Tadashi said that it was kind of sad – genuinely said. “That’s something you and I agree on,” he admitted. “I’m a bit of a workaholic.” That was the first time he’d said that out loud to anyone, and made his whole life seem rather sad once he said to someone else. “At least you don’t think it sounds lame, because I think it still is.” He gave a light shrug of his shoulders. He tried not to let things get to him, but that didn’t mean that they still didn’t from time to time. “When I’m not either working or training, I’m usually at home reading. I mean, Ami – your waitress – invites me out every now and again, but she likes to go out and drink, and that’s not really my scene, you know? So I stay home and read or go out and train.” Sometimes, he was tempted just to go out, but had only done that once – for her birthday and he hadn’t been inclined to do it again unless it was another special occasion. Thankfully, one hadn’t come up yet, but one was soon – his birthday.

Ichiro knew that Ami knew when his birthday was. They had worked together long enough now that she remembered it. The Waterbender got kind of nervous when he thought of what Ami might plan. There were also his parents to consider, they always wanted to take him out to dinner or something. For once, he might actually want to do something on his own, and if he had to do things with other people, that was fine with him. If they took the time to plan or wanted to do something, than it was okay. They only did it because they cared, anyway. “Besides, my birthday’s coming up in a few weeks, and I need to get out.” Tadashi seemed to get nervous, and the brunet looked at him curiously for a moment, wondering what he could possibly want to say that would cause such a reaction. That is, until he said it, and it made sense as to why he had been nervous.

Of course, Tadashi couldn’t have just asked him out and been done with it, but it seemed to the Waterbender that because he’d gotten nervous, he’d gone on – and on, when stopping at any point before that would have been okay. He’d ended his monologue – because that’s really what it had been – with his on the table. A light smile crossed Ichiro’s lips. “You know, you don’t have to get so nervous, I promise I don’t bite,” he said kindly, laying a hand on the Air Acolyte’s shoulder, hopefully to reassure him. “You could have just asked me out, and that would have been fine.” He was trying to keep his voice down a bit, loud enough so that Tadashi could hear it, but no one else would. Of course, that ended up being the exact moment that Ami showed up with the food of the guy whose head was currently attached to the table. Looking back at her quickly, he took the food from her hand. “Thanks, I got it. Don’t worry he’s fine.” She gave her boss for the day a look that said she wanted details, but left politely, telling Tadashi to call her if she needed anything.

“Tadashi, sit up, please, your food is here,” Ichiro said, laying it on the table in front of the Air Acolyte. “If you want it to be a date, it’s fine with me. I’d love someone to go out and do something with, and I sort of like you, too.” The Waterbender hoped that by using his own words, it might calm him a little bit. He honestly found how emotional Tadashi seemed to get sort of endearing, it was so opposite from his own personality. Yes, he had emotions just like everyone else, but the brunet was usually easier going, unless he got annoyed, and getting angry for him was something that didn’t happen very often. It didn’t bother him the least that Tadashi got so worked up over things – it wasn’t necessary sure, but it was okay with him. He was usually just “the nice guy” all the time, which didn’t bother him at all.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 29, 2013 14:15:29 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 29, 2013 14:15:29 GMT -6

Tadashi sniffed a little bit at Ichiro's words of kindness, and the process of sniffing brought the mouthwatering smell of his pilaf into his nostrils. The combination of the smell, the speech, and Ichiro's hand on his shoulder brought him back to reality. He sniffed once more and then cautiously, slowly, raised his head back up and blinked a few times — he hadn't started crying, fortunately, but his eyes did feel irritated. "Thank you," he said, quietly and sincerely. "I'm sorry. I'm emotional, more so than normal lately. Ugh." He rubbed his hand across his forehead, over his nearly-shaved head again, and then over his jaw once.

"If you didn't say yes solely out of pity," he articulated, "then that's very cool. I did mean what I said. It was just so nerve-wrecking to get out." You're the first person I actually had the balls to ask out, he added silently, thinking of the cute Air Acolyte he had briefly had a crush on, and had once asked Ren'ai's opinion on whether to ask him on a date. It had never happened, of course. "And also thank you for being cool enough for me not to feel even more embarrassed about my behaviour than I already am," he went on drily, looking at Ichiro with a half-smile. "Your birthday is coming up? We could definitely do something, if your family doesn't have plans for you. Or afterwards if you'd like." He glanced around the restaurant. "I'm assuming you would not like to eat out."

It was the strangest feeling; not just like a huge ball of stress had been lifted out of his gut — or at least reduced in size significantly — but like he belonged a little bit more in the world. Someone else was interested in him, at least marginally, and it was someone for whom the feeling was mutual. Sure, he had Yuri and Ren'ai as close friends, and Katashi to talk to when he needed twin time, but besides them and his grandma, there wasn't really anyone to whom he could attach himself. NOT that I need to get all clingy all of a sudden, he reminded himself sternly. We're in talks for one date, and one date only. It's to see how we fit together. Not for me to get grabby or territorial. "I really am sorry though," Tadashi said again. "You probably didn't need this kind of excitement-slash-drama while you were in charge of the place." 

Post by Gia on Dec 2, 2013 20:32:42 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
When Tadashi sat up, Ichiro slipped his hand off the other man’s shoulder. He figured that he was a bit over emotional because of his grandmother dying. They must be close, he thought to himself. When his own grandparents died – and it would be sooner rather than later, he was pretty sure – he would be sad, but not devastated. The Air Acolyte’s next words surprised him a bit, but he kept his face as even as possible. Say yes out of pity? he thought to himself. He supposed some people would do that, but the Waterbender wasn’t one of them. He knew that Tadashi meant no offense by it, of course, though it was slightly insulting. Considering the emotional state he’d been in just moments ago, though, he could see why he would think he’d say what he could to get him to stop making a scene.

Instead of chastising him for saying that, Ichiro merely gave Tadashi a soft smile. “I would never say yes to go out with someone out of pity,” he said, “and it’s never easy to ask someone out.” Considering the reaction than the Air Acolyte had after doing so, it left the Waterbender wondering if that was the first he’d asked someone out before – or if he’d ever been out with anyone before at all. However, that was another topic of conversation for another day. He waved off the comment about Tadashi’s behavior. Yes, it was a bit over the top – okay more than a bit. He didn’t mind too much, though. “I’m sure that they want to have dinner with me or something,” he responded. It was possible for him to get the day off and his dad to have the night off – if he opened and Lian closed. “I’m sure we can do something, though.” A smirk crossed his lips. “I’m sure we can do something before then since my birthday isn’t a few weeks yet.”

The comment about eating out got a chuckle out of Ichiro. “I like eating out,” he responded, “just not here. I love our food, but I have to eat it virtually every day.” Their food was honestly very good… it didn’t mean he wanted to spend all of his time when he wasn’t at work, and he spent too much of it here as it was. “Besides, I don’t take dates here, because everyone seems to know about it the next day and want to know everything.” He was a fairly private person… at least when it came to people that he didn’t consider friends, and he didn’t really have very many of those. Besides, there were gossipers here. Ami used to be one, though she’d improved greatly after a stern warning from his farther about five months. He might actually tell her, she was the only one he really considered a friend here, though he liked Ren’ai well enough when she wasn’t pissed off… which was a lot of the time.

Ichiro put his mind back on the present. Here was the possibility of someone to actually go out with, and he hadn’t dated anyone in a while. That meant his parents would be more than curious. He promised himself that he’d try to be patient with them. They only wanted him to be happy, but sometimes he felt like they didn’t want things to go on his own pace. That was a parent thing he supposed, though… want your kid to settle down soon, but if they did so too fast, then you wouldn’t want that either. At Tadashi’s words, though, the Waterbender was pulled back out of his thoughts. “Don’t worry about it,” he told him, shrugging off the comment that he didn’t need the drama while he was in charge. They weren’t busy, so it wasn’t a big deal. “There’s always drama at a restaurant, maybe not all the time, but it’s there.” There was drama at every job, though. He hadn’t heard of a single one where there wasn’t. Speaking of job, he would have to get back to work soon…
This user is Mod