The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

An Abstract Impression of Friendship (Tag: Airi)

Anonymous
Dec 11, 2013 15:04:24 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 11, 2013 15:04:24 GMT -6

There was a slight shiver down Yutaka's spine when Airi mentioned temporarily being a pro bender. What were the odds of dining with two different ones in the same week?

Yutaka felt himself make that same stupid face he always made when thinking about something. He knew that there was no hidden trap in Airi's asking about himself but in his dealings with people it was like a hearing the mechanism of a trap door beneath his feet.
"Uh...well...let's see...Um, no siblings. My parents..." he tried to think of a way to say his parents owned a radio station and not sound like a bragging rich kid. "Work in radio. You know...um, the one that broadcasts 'The Shade' radio drama and that soap opera 'Sands Through An Hourglass'? Um...I like art and music...obviously. My first record was Moanin' by Blind Lemur. I work for the city doing road repair and lately I've been thinking about learning how to bend...you know...professionally."
He paused and decided to cut off any follow-up questions. He didn't want to get into the 'Why' of his recent interest in pro bending with someone who was mostly a stranger.
"For exercise." He patted his stomach. "Lose a few of these. I also like to read and play board games when I'm not going to jazz clubs."

After he placed the yuans necessary to pay their bill Yutaka turned and saw that the late afternoon had turned to the early evening. He got to talk art and, due to his insanely hot dish, almost share a meal with someone, which was more than Yutaka had hoped for. He couldn't be sure if Airi's tolerance for his company was being taxed but he decided to take a chance.
"T-thanks. Um, maybe we can...do...this again sometime. Hang out, you know?"
This user is a former member
Anonymous
Dec 13, 2013 15:08:17 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 13, 2013 15:08:17 GMT -6

Radio drama and soap opera? "I don't tend to listen to those, sorry. I'll give them a try?" she offered half heatedly. She only listened to the radio when she was working and it tended to stay on music because her parents enjoyed the music. She did too, so there wasn't much need to change the station. Outside of work, listening to the radio? In light of recent events, she didn't really spend much time other than working and sleeping at home. She'd rather be out and about than inside doing nothing. It just felt like an attack waiting to happen, even if it didn't make much sense to others. Being at home simply didn't feel as safe as it used to be and she was plagued by thoughts wondering: would I feel the same way if I lived in a different home?

"Oh! That's cool," Airi exclaimed. Bending was always cool. The most she had used her bending was in probending, lighting the fire for the oven, making a bit of light and protecting herself. There were some firebenders who worked by using lightningbending to provide energy to the city, but even if she wanted to do that sort of job, she couldn't lightningbend. After a few times of teaching it, her mother had given up, but both of them - though they never voiced it - though it had something to do with her memory problem, keeping her from being able to do that subdivision of bending. Something about having a clear head or whatever. "What kind of bender are you?"

"Board games?" she echoed, giving him a lost look. Board games... board games... "I think... no, is that like, um, no," she ended up musing aloud, her face reddening at her embarrassment. Board games sounded familiar, but she couldn't remember if she had played any. What were some examples of board games, she wanted to ask, but already felt like she had made a fool of herself enough. Absently, she wondered if it was just something she didn't think of often or if it was actually a mishap with her memory - again. In the end, she only squeaked out a small, "Sorry," for her mumbling.

"Oh!" Well, that was a surprise, to say the least. Not a lot of people really liked her company for one reason or another. Or just liked her company enough for a short acquaintance. "S-sure!" Oh dear, how was she supposed to reply to something like this? "Um, I'm either working at the bakery or hanging around the city. But, oh, you said that you wanted to see - no, watch? - how we make bread with the filling, right? The place is called Hitomi Bread and Goods, if you want to find it." Airi smiled and looked at Yutaka; it seemed she had made a friend.
Anonymous
Dec 13, 2013 16:33:08 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 13, 2013 16:33:08 GMT -6

"I don't tend to listen to those, sorry. I'll give them a try?"

Yutaka wondered what kind of person wasn't interested in the heroic deeds of The Shade or the melodrama of Sand Through An Hour Glass. They were a lot more interesting than real life.
"Oh, you should, you should. Last time..." Yutaka cleared his throat and plugged his nose with his fingers to do his best imitation of the nasally voice of the announcer for The Shade.
"When last we saw our stalwart hero his mentor Ming The Merciful was dangling over a pit if vicious catgators. Will his faithful chum succumb to a chummy fate?"
He chuckled while smiling. "And last time on 'Sands Through An Hour Glass' Teo found out that his newborn twins were really fathered by his long lost brother while his wife had amnesia..." Yutaka dialed back his enthusiasm for the soap opera as it was widely considered a feminine thing. "Not that I'm into that sort of thing."

Any enthusiasm that accrued from talking about radio dramas was diminished at the topic of his bending. It wasn't quite a source of shame but it seemed that everone else's was more impressive. He couldn't even defend himself with his bending.
"Oh. Um, I'm an earthbender. That's how I repair the roads...not that I do that alone, lots of people do that. It's fun when I'm sculpting but bending gravel into holes and compressing it over and over..." When he thought about how often he had to repeat the process he felt compelled to add: "and over again. Bending earth discs sounds more fun."

Airi seemed a little ashamed at her lack of board game knowledge but that only cemented the idea into Yutaka's head that it would be fun to play a go, shogi or chess with someone who was a friend rather than some hustler in the park or an overly-serious student of these games.
Her "Oh!" of surprise caught Yutaka off guard in the most wonderful of ways. She actually seemed amenable to the idea of further contact. He made a note that not constantly talking and berating the opinions of people he talked with were positives.
"Bread! Yeah! Definitely! Is it like an early morning thing or something? I'm off on the weekends so maybe I can come by Saturday morning? Maybe in turn I can teach you a game or..." his mind drew a blank for other things to do. What did friends do together? "something?"

At a loss for how exactly to seal this newborn friendship Yutaka stuck out his hand for a handshake.