The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Anonymous
Oct 22, 2013 16:48:18 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 22, 2013 16:48:18 GMT -6

The flickering streetlight shining through the blinds of the office gave the impression of a prison cell. The office would have to have a cheerful mural of frolicking koala sheep in order to be even considered ominous.

Mugen had no use for private investigators in the past but this was not a problem for the police and he was definitely not the kind of man who held any faith in society's proper channels. To him, a detective was a reasonable compromise between a cop and a criminal.

It took a moment to acclimate to the darkness of the room so Mugen was late in noticing the red glow of a cigarette. There was a shuffling sound in the darkness and Mugen sighed. No good situation ever came from stumbling upon someone smoking in a dark room.
It suddenly seemed like a very stupid idea to come.

When the lights came on things were much less intimidating due to a short man standing on a desk having just put in a fresh light bulb while a woman sat behind another desk.
Mugen couldn't help but to glare slightly at the short man in the white zoot suit and the slight bulge of cable spools on the back of his jacket. The point of coming to a detective was to avoid cops.
He looked past the man standing on the desk and at the woman who was obviously in charge.
"Tae-yeon Choi, I presume?" he asked trying to hide his Swamp Tribe drawl.

Mugen took the chair the white-suited assistant intended to use as a step to get down and slid it in front of the desk of the detective. It had been a warm night causing Mugen to discard his tie and unbutton the first two buttons of his blue shirt. He unbuttoned the third once he sat down and saw the woman he had sought.
"I hope you don't mind my coming in while you watch a man fumble around in the dark."
This user is a former member
Anonymous
Oct 22, 2013 19:05:44 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 22, 2013 19:05:44 GMT -6

Tae-yeon prided herself on a clean, well-kept office. It made her seem more professional. Lately she'd had more clients than she knew what to do with, not that many of the cases were interesting. However, it seemed that there were plenty of citizens of late who did not trust the Republic City Police.

Not, of course, that she blamed them. Everyone remembered the fiasco in the streets where metal bending cops had corralled helpless citizens for no good reason. Yes, and everyone also remembered how much the Avatar seemed like a young girl out of control, unable or, perhaps, unwilling, to grow up and do her duty. Tae-yeon was glad of the business, and even more glad when people told her they trusted her sort more than the police, those men meant to protect and serve.

Protect and serve my arse. She grinned and lit a cigarette while Hangetsu in his white travesty of an outfit changed the light bulb. From the sound of his entrance her latest customer was male, average weight, wearing boots. As the light flooded the office she glanced at the visitor, noting with pleasure that she was, as usual, correct.

Tae-yeon raised a brow at the man's affected accent. Where was he from? Taking her feet off her desk, Tae-yeon leaned on an elbow and observed the man. Dark hair, blue eyes. Likely mixed heritage? He seemed to have put an effort into his clothing, which suggested he meant to portray himself in a certain manner. A calculating man, to be sure. Perhaps a criminal?

Not that that would deter Tae-yeon from taking his money, one way or another. No, she wasn't on the Force. She didn't care what people did, she cared about solving puzzles. At the very least she hoped the man would present her with a challenging puzzle.

"I hope you don't mind my coming in while you watch a man fumble around in the dark."

"And what is it that brings you to my office, Mr…?"
Anonymous
Oct 22, 2013 23:26:14 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 22, 2013 23:26:14 GMT -6

"And what is it that brings you to my office, Mr…?"
Mugen paused. Growing up poor he was used to judging eyes and time spent doing business with predators taught him the value of knowing when one was circling him. This felt like a little of both. Like being observed by a dangerous animal.

When he sat down Mugen rested his right boot on his left knee and wiped the well shined but obviously worn boot with a handkerchief before looking at Tae-yeon.
"Just Mugen."

Mugen took a moment to appraise the woman behind the desk. Even behind a desk her body language spoke volumes. The first volume had: DO NOT WASTE MY TIME printed in bold enough letters to be read across the room by a blind man.

"I..." Mugen leaned back in his chair and craned his head in the same direction so that he looked at Hangetsu through his narrowed eyes.
"I'd rather not involve the police."
The metal bender standing on the other desk gave a weary sigh and jumped down with a semi-metallic thud.
"I'll make coffee." Hangetsu made it a point not to grumble audibly about Tae's potential client until the noise of grinding beans could muffle his mumbled comments.

"Most people keep dogs or cats as pets...but then I've never seen one able to make coffee." His smirk faded when he remembered he shouldn't waste the detective's time.
"I'm being followed by a former lover...of sorts. I didn't return her feelings and now she appears with weapons in hand ready to...who knows what. I hear there is nothing worse than the fury of a woman scorned." He slumped his shoulders and wiped his sweaty brow with his sleeve.
"The police are not an option. Neither are the triads. I want to be left alone but I don't want anyone dead or arrested. Have you trained your pet not to arrest?"

Mugen wiped at his blue eyes with his hands and no sobs escaped. It was too easy to lapse into melodrama when sobbing.
"I need you to find her and in the meantime I need protection. I'm sorry but I don't have much to pay you." A shaking hand reached inside the left pocket of his slacks and pulled out a lionturtle shaped money clip holding together a wad of small denomination yuans wrinkled, faded and frayed at the edges as if recently pulled from under a mattress.
"I can't speak for others but in my case the starving actor stereotype is quite accurate. If you want I can act out Katara's parts of 'The Boy In The Iceberg' for your pleasure.If you know Zuko's lines feel free to jump in."
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 26, 2013 0:09:19 GMT -6
Anonymous
Oct 29, 2013 15:02:24 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 29, 2013 15:02:24 GMT -6

Just Mugen? Tae-yeon raised a brow. Well, he was hiding something. It was obvious, of course — most people who came to her were. Noting the wear to his boots, she surmised he was not a rich man. Great. More begging for work from someone who could not afford her prices.

Which were, quite frankly, extremely reasonable.

She tilted her head as the man disparaged Hangetsu. While she personally did not truly care for the police force, she did not consider the white-suited man on the level of a pet. Clearly the man felt that his humour would amuse her. It did not. She also disliked it when people wasted her time, and was pleased when his smile faded and he got right to the point.

The man fed her a line about a former lover, and Tae-yeon was uncertain what he was asking her for. It sounded like he wanted protection? And Choi Tae-yeon was not a bodyguard. "Sir," she said, annoyed, "I am not a protection agency. If you are worried about violence from this woman then it is best you go to the police." His eye-wiping only served to convince her that he was hiding even more than she'd thought at first.

As he asked her to find the woman, she laughed. "I should think you'll be able to find her yourself if she is indeed following you." As for the money — "I don't do pro-bono work," she said, voice clipped. His jocular comments on acting failed to amuse. Sighing, Tae-yeon put out her cigarette. "Will that be all?"
Anonymous
Nov 2, 2013 12:46:53 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 2, 2013 12:46:53 GMT -6

There was a certain shock at Tae-yeon's no-nonsense attitude. It was more than a little discouraging for Mugen that his ability to fool a mark had deteriorated so. He couldn't even hide his contempt for the constabulary for long.
His ability to deceive had atrophied due to under use. Suddenly, he was in battle with no weapon. He had a constructed role ready to go. Part rogue in over his head with a hint of overcompensating vulnerability but it seemed that the detective would be a harsh and discerning critic.

For Mugen, all people could be distilled into formulas. A certain percentage of this and that until one-hundred percent was reached. The difficulty was in choosing the combination and ratio of attributes. He wondered what the right percentages were to get Choi Tae-yeon to blink. Instead of a combination of traits Mugen decided to try about sixty percent honest.

"I should think you'll be able to find her yourself if she is indeed following you."
The muscles in his shoulders tensed. He also couldn't help but lapse a little into his normal accent by dropping a few of his r's.
"Forgive me for not wanting to stand in the path of a charging komodo rhino. If she comes to me then it is already too late."

Even that amount of honesty taxed the blue-eyed man from the Dragon Flats District. He narrowed his eyes and presented a second roll of money. In contrast to the first smaller roll of money in a clip the second was larger one held together by a rubber band.
The second, thicker pink roll consisted of larger denominations and upon close inspection once unrolled were newly crisp as if fresh from a bank vault. He placed both rolls on Tae-yeon's desk and arranged them in the manner of a street hustler's shell game.
"Pick one."

Mugen Yuan was fond of his tests of character and intelligence and nothing tested those two rare traits like large rolls of money.
"I realize that there isn't much overlap in investigations and protection but the right amount of yuans can increase the intersection of any venn diagram."
He rested his left elbow on the arm of his chair and then tilted his head to rest on his fist.
"Think of it as being the dealer of a game of three card monte. If the mark finds the right card you lose money. I, in turn, will probably be gravely injured but that's neither here nor there. Besides...how would it look if the police were to provide something that Choi Tae-yeon could not?"
Anonymous
Nov 19, 2013 11:44:58 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 19, 2013 11:44:58 GMT -6

So he was a Swamp kid. Tae-yeon raised a brow, watching the man dig into his pockets. He was clearly messing with her, producing rolls of money when he'd previously stated he couldn't afford her services. Nothing annoyed Tae-yeon like a bait and switch.

She looked at him with a bland expression. "Sir," she said, "get real money and hire a bodyguard and stop wasting my time." What was he, stupid? Or did he think that he was testing her? Tae-yeon could spot counterfeit a mile away. She was annoyed with his presence by this time, bored and not as caffeinated as she preferred. Glancing towards Hangetsu, she inquired after coffee.

"Maybe my associate is more your style," she told Mugen. "I'm sure he won't mind playing your little games."
Turning in her chair a little, she called for Hangetsu. "Come pick a roll of money for this man so you can get him out of my office!" she said. She waited for the man to return and watched him. His progress interested her, at least, and she was keen to see how he handled this man.

Personally, Tae-yeon wanted a good murder case. She would have loved to be a consulting detective for the police force, but it didn't seem like they took those on. A shame, really. She'd even have looked cute in the uniform.
Anonymous
Nov 22, 2013 23:16:02 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 22, 2013 23:16:02 GMT -6

It had been six months since Mugen had told a successful lie. What was once sharp as a Piandao sword was now rusted and useless due to neglect. Half a year ago he never would have imagined that a vow to give up crime would have diminished him so. Mugen felt about as crafty and resourceful as a decomposing rat carcass. Being unable to lie was like jumping out of an airship with no way to halt or even slow his descent. It annoyed him to no end that part of him enjoyed the sensation.

This deficit in lying had spread to his facial features as a twitch in his left eye signaled a repressed anger at being palmed off on a cop of all people. Recent events had made the blue-eyed former criminal downright antagonistic toward a group he once considered decent rivals.
Having the zoot-suited tool choose between the two rolls of money, however, was amusing enough to abate Mugen's annoyance. Tae-yeon had passed his test of her onto her flunkie and now it appeared she was the proctor.

The first thing that struck Mugen about Hangetsu was his walk. Even with a half-year absence from the extra-legal the arrogant stride of a cop was difficult to miss. The man in the white and gray pin striped suit was obviously armed but walked as if he wasn't looking for an excuse to use those armaments. If Tae-yeon felt like an intellectual predator this man felt like the rock she pounced from. A private detective with brains and a cop without overwhelming arrogance...Mugen thought he'd never see one of these things let alone two in the same room.

For the moment Mugen was transfixed on his test of knowledge and character even though the test subject had changed. Could the policeman look past the obvious or would he be blinded by greed?

It had been six months since Hangetsu had done anything remotely detective related. He made coffee, he dusted, he wrote case files and he was content with that. The man who once aspired to be great detective was happy being assistant to a great detective since his run-in with Amon. Now, suddenly he was being tested. It was the first time in a long time anything of note was expected of him and it made him nervous.

After setting Tae's coffee on her desk in front of her Hangetsu went about examining the two rolls of money. The larger was suspicious because of it's girth, the other suspicious because of it's money clip. Gauging the purity of precious metals was something he considered more in line with an earthbending pawn shop owner than a cop but it was the one aspect of bending his grandmother insisted he train. All metals had a different feel and this clip did not feel like a cheap silver-plated knockoff.

Examining the larger roll required a closer look. The reluctant police officer took the first bill off of the roll and studied it. After nearly a minute he noticed the print was too perfectly set and the color seemed too bright even for a freshly minted bill.
Hangetsu slid the large roll towards Mugen but couldn't feel any pride in taking minutes to see something with his bending and a close examination that Tae-yeon noticed with a casual glance.
He truly was just the guy who made the coffee and not a detective due to his own fear of failure and Hangetsu was no longer content with that.

During his time as Tae-yeon's assistant Hangetsu had heard multiple times that the private eye was difficult to deal with. The coffee-making, lightbulb-changing off-duty cop knew otherwise. Dealing with her was simple because more often than not she knew what he was thinking. Words were clumsy, awkward things compared to body language and micro-expressions.
Even if his motivation couldn't be conveyed Hangetsu knew that Tae would understand that he suddenly wanted to protect this arrogant, cop-hating, criminal if only to prove a point.
Last edit by Deleted: Nov 26, 2013 16:40:33 GMT -6