The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Bean Therapy (Tag:Airi)

Anonymous
Oct 22, 2013 14:40:47 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 22, 2013 14:40:47 GMT -6

The Jittery Jackalope Coffee house had it's distinct disadvantages. It was cramped despite never being crowded, the floor was often sticky and the staff considered polite customer service a bridge too far. It's advantages were that it was close to the police station and for Hangetsu Tsukishima personally they let him make his own coffee.

While some would consider someone bringing in his own beans and brewing his own coffee an insult the staff considered it money for sitting around watching someone else work.
Since his kidnapping Hangetsu felt a keen need to be kept busy. If he wasn't at the station he would be with one of the three women that he depended on most. If his sister, girlfriend and mentor were not available Hangetsu made coffee or cooked...anything to keep his mind occupied.

The jacket and shirt of pin-striped suit hung on hook by the counter while he boiled his water and ground his beans. He felt as if he went from the most over-dressed coffee maker in history to the least dressed clad in his sleeveless undershirt.

Even though the day started out well enough waking up next to Ren even she couldn't make a day at the station any more bearable. Once more the word "counselor" was uttered to him and once more the idea was rejected. As a result Hangetsu still found himself on limited duty.
He stopped staring at his coffee as it slowly dripped through the filter and began steaming milk when he heard a customer come in. He was given an annoyed look by the staff as if he were an employee not doing his job.

Hangetsu sighed and rolled his eyes.
"Welcome to The Jittery Jackalope. What can I get you?"
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 22, 2013 14:44:26 GMT -6
Anonymous
Oct 22, 2013 23:15:31 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 22, 2013 23:15:31 GMT -6

Airi was pulled from a daze. "Welcome to The Jittery Jackalope. What can I get you?" someone asked her. Her yellow eyes scanned him curiously, sure she knew him from somewhere but couldn't place a name to his face. Ugh. Names were always the hardest.

She blinked a few times, lost in a sea of confusion. Was that another one of her memory lapses? Over the past year or so, her hold on her memory was getting better but it wasn't perfect, not yet at least. It was a problem that had stuck with her since her pre-teens and had made a mess of a lot of things. Some people regarded her as mentally challenged, others simply found it tedious to be around a person who constantly forgot names or instructions. Friends had been hard to make and even harder to keep but just as her memory improved a little, she also gained a few good friends.

The firebender's mouth hung slightly open for a few seconds before she managed to pull on a few memories. She couldn't remember what she was doing or why she was here - not yet, at the least - but she finally realized why he looked so familiar. The faces she had seen that day in the police station. That horrible day wasn't something she could forget, no matter how hard she tried, but that didn't mean names and faces stuck together any more easily.

"I-I know you," she said though it sounded more like a question. Lost in her own curiosities, she had completely ignored his initial question. "The police station!" Her voice was excited but not loud or happy. "Um... what was the date? Oh, that doesn't matter. That day," she messily said, "with the... uh... the Equalists... You know, those people? They did, um, well, you see-" She shook her head; like that would help her sort her thoughts.

"I was there too. Did Korra give you your bending back, too?" Airi leaned forward, her eyes bright with something she couldn't name. It wasn't joy - there had been nothing joyful about that event. It wasn't excitement. A sense of place, perhaps? While her bending was gone, she had felt miserable and like no one else could understand how she felt and now here was someone who just might be able to understand what she had went through. "O-Oh, excuse me. I'm Airi." She held out her hand, an awkward smile on tugging at her lips.
Anonymous
Oct 23, 2013 1:27:00 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 23, 2013 1:27:00 GMT -6

Hot, steamed milk began frothing over Hangetsu's left hand slightly burning. He had been distracted from making his coffee and now he was glad his burn distracted him from that woman. What does one talk about to someone with whom you shared a horrible experience.
He sighed and weakly shook her hand with his clean right hand.
"Hangetsu...give me a minute."

Most of Hangetsu's recent lifestyle had been built around diversions and suddenly a diversion shows up to lead him to what he wanted to avoid. He didn't know how to handle this other than to make two cups of coffee.
He poured the steamed milk into the cups, wiggling it so that the milk formed a white flower on top of the brown coffee. He tried to see Airi's presence as a blessing since he despised drinking coffee alone.

Two cups of coffee were set down, one in one of the Jackalope's chipped cups and the other in an even cheaper looking one hand made to look like the artist intended to bend a face into the clay but failed miserably. Hangetsu drank from the second one before setting it down to avoid confusion over who got what.

"So...do you get sick of people asking how glad you are that the Avatar gave you your powers back? Like what was done to us was erased. 'Kidnapped and stripped of your means of defense and part of your identity? Well, suck it up, wimp, the Avatar's here.'"

When he sat down Hangetsu had no intention of being that forthright or that bitter. He took a sip from his coffee to keep his mouth from saying anything else stupid for the time being.
"Uh...you like coffee? In general I mean. I wasn't fishing for a compliment or anything like that." He placed his slightly burned hand over his face and sighed. Conversation was difficult.
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 23, 2013 13:01:40 GMT -6
Anonymous
Oct 23, 2013 12:10:28 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 23, 2013 12:10:28 GMT -6

"Oh, okay" she said. Airi stood awkwardly, not sure what to do with herself as she waited for Hangetsu. She rocked back and forth on her feet a bit, then found herself trying to pick out memories but they kept slipping from her grasp everytime she got close to remembering something. She even tried to think back to the last thing she remembered but that was fuzzy, too. With no luck in that department, her mind returned to the task at hand, finding Hangetsu moving to a table and she followed.

Cupping her hands around the chipped cup - ohhh, it was nice an warm; she liked that - she listened to the man. "Um... sort of?" she said with a questioned look. "I don't... uh, talk to a lot of people. O-Or rather they don't - or wouldn't; who knows? - talk to me. Well, both, sort of," she babbled. "I mean, what happened then was scary. It was frightening and humiliating. It's not something you just get over. I still have troubles sleeping in my own room - that's where they grabbed me. I am glad to have my bending back. It's one of the only things I'm good at, aside from making bread but baking skills really don't help me much in a fight. I felt like I was missing a part of myself when it was gone, but you're right, that doesn't changed what happened," she said, her tone growing more and more solemn with each word she voiced.

The woman bit her lip. It was nice to talk about this but it didn't make it any less easier to do. A lump formed in her throat and she wondered if she was going to cry. "Coffee?" she echoed, glancing down at the beverage for the first time. The flower shape on the top was pretty and she almost didn't want to disturb it. Quickly, she took a sip of it and her face contorted to a face of confliction. "I've never had it before. It's nice enough." Maybe if she had it a few more times, she'd get used to the taste. What was that called? A... an aqquired taste?

"Um..." she began, wanting to say his name to get his attention but having forgotten it already. "If you don't want to, you don't have to answer, but how did they get you? Like I said, they got me out of my bed... They blocked my chi before I even woke up. I really don't remember much after that - I think I fell asleep or something." Only part of the truth. She had figured she had passed out at some point but she didn't like going around and telling others that she just forgot things a lot, not unless they were her friends first. "I remember being cold a lot since I was still in my night clothes." Airi pursed her lips together, finding herself pouring out words strung together into disorganized sentances, and her fingers tapping at the cup.
Anonymous
Oct 23, 2013 13:44:31 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 23, 2013 13:44:31 GMT -6

Hangetsu gripped his hand-made coffee cup tighter with both hands while staring into it as if the right words would rise to the surface.
"They were polite. They knocked."

Much to his embarrassment Hangetsu's hands began to shake as he lifted his cup to his lips. He gave up on the idea of drinking when he spilled some of his coffee. "They knocked. I even looked at them through the eye hole and I still opened the door. They were all in jumpsuits, like exterminators."

Quietly, the man so intent on avoiding eye contact with the woman he just met rose and retrieved a dirty rag from behind the counter to wipe up his spilled coffee. It was the rag's turn to be the focus of his attention now.
"Would you like to hear something hilarious? I'm a cop. A trained policeman had his home invaded and his bending taken away. I even fancied myself something of a detective. I couldn't even detect a threat when I was looking directly at it."

Finally, Hangetsu felt able to look at Airi directly.
"What did you do...do you do now?" He closed his eyes and paused. How did one converse with someone who was a stranger yet shared a deeply personal experience with him?
"For a living, I mean. Or fun. Whatever."
Anonymous
Oct 24, 2013 22:41:05 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 24, 2013 22:41:05 GMT -6

Airi blinked. Knocked? She couldn't imagine that at all. All she could imagine were masked monsters. She saw them as evil, possibly unable of civilized behavior with their glowing eyes behind green glass. What she thought of them wasn't true, she knew that, but that didn't mean her perception of them would ever differ. They'd still be the monsters that stole her from her home, defenseless, in bed. She knew that nonbenders had it a bit rough and maybe they could've done so much more had they not gone a violent route but that mattered little now.

Once more, all she found herself was blinking in confusion. "That's not funny at all," she firmly said, confusion spreading across her face. Then it hit her. "Oh - uh - sorry, never mind. I get it now. What you meant, not that it's funny," she bumbled, lifting her cup up to her mouth again to take a long drink. It still didn't taste too great but it distracted her. This experience was getting more and more uncomfortable, even for her.

She met his eyes and felt a chill pass through her. They seemed... well, she could tell he was distraught by the whole ordeal already but the pain reflected in his eyes was almost scarily eerie. When she got her bending back, it was like getting a part of her identity back and a bit of security and it was so great though that didn't fix everything. It looked like he lost everything without being able to get anything back once it was all over. Well, almost over.

"I'm a baker. I also used to be a substitute for a probending team and played once - I even lost, though people said I put up a good fight - but I guess it was enough to get their attention and being an easier target... I used to want to take over the bakery when my parents retired. Now, I'm not so sure. Everything seems so different." She waited a moment, trying to collect her thoughts and found herself laughing a bit to herself. "I kind of wanted to travel the world a bit. Learn things, see people, do something, you know?" What a joke, she told herself. With her memory problem, she wouldn't be able to make it at all.
Anonymous
Oct 25, 2013 0:15:50 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 25, 2013 0:15:50 GMT -6

Hangetsu chuckled and then sighed.
"When I was a kid Suigetsu...my grandfather left me in the park to find my own way home. He thought it would be educational and character building. I eventually got home but I'm sure that the old man was looking out for me the whole time. Maybe you just need a traveling partner. Avatar Aang had his companions. One of them probably read the map. Travelling alone seems like eating or drinking coffee alone...a hollow experience."

Resting his chin on his hand and his elbow on the table Hangetsu stared briefly out the coffee shop window.
"I've lived here a long time and I still don't know that much about this city. It's like..." he stretched out the word "like" far longer than he wanted in order to find something to compare it to.
"A chair. Four legs a back and a seat, right? A detective would notice things about the people who sat upon it before. A carpenter could tell you about the wood and pegs and open up a world of technical complexity. A philosopher or spiritual person might attempt to describe it's soul."
He took a final sip of his cooling coffee smiling.
"If we can't accurately describe a chair how can we describe something as huge and complex as a city?"

His left palm, the former resting place of his chin now held his forehead while Hangetsu sheepishly looked intently at his table.
"Sorry, that was weird. I must have read something weird last night."
Anonymous
Oct 26, 2013 14:27:03 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 26, 2013 14:27:03 GMT -6

Airi listened to Hangetsu's story, though, at some point, her mind got caught on the fact his grandpa left him in the park to build character. She had gotten lost plenty of times due to her memory problems, but she always found her way home sooner or later. When that started to happen, her parents had been so worried the first few times but it eventually became normal that she wouldn't be home the time she said she might. But, thankfully, she didn't forget she was in a conversation and continued to listen. Her head started to bob up and down in understanding at the last part about having friends along the way. That made sense. So what if she had a memory problem? If she found the right people, she could do it, right?

Upon the comparison of the city and a chair, her lips pursed together as she tried to figure out what she would describe a chair as. A spot to eat or drink, a spot to enjoy company or a spot to rest. How would her parents describe a chair? Or her brother? Then, how would they describe the city? How could she describe the city? A year ago, she might've called it a place where people get together, live a life, etc. Now it seemed like something much darker.

Quickly, she shook her head, a faint smile on her lips. "No, it makes sense. It just got me thinking about... things," she mused aloud. "I've never thought of those things that way," Airi told him, hoping it sounded like a compliment. "Then again, I don't really sit down and just... think." She enjoyed doing things, moving around, making something happen. Thinking about things in detail or wondering about the world didn't appeal to her as much as experiencing the world did.

"Hangetsu," the firebender began, "You said you used to be a cop. After... what happened, even if you didn't want to keep being a cop, why work at a place like this?"
Anonymous
Oct 27, 2013 13:33:11 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 27, 2013 13:33:11 GMT -6

"Hangetsu," the firebender began, "You said you used to be a cop. After... what happened, even if you didn't want to keep being a cop, why work at a place like this?"

Hangetsu felt the words "used to" like a punch to the gut but then smirked while thinking of himself working in the Jittery Jackalope as the lone employee that knew how to smile and make coffee. He briefly wondered if he would be happier living out his life as an employee of The Jittery Jackalope Coffee House.
"I don't work here, I just don't trust anyone else to make coffee and here they let me make my own. I'm still a cop. I'm just..." he sighed and mumbled inaudibly and then raised his downcast eyes to Airi in order to repeat himself. "Since....you know...the incident...I've been all over the place, uh, emotionally speaking. I'm on limited duty until I speak to a counselor. Honestly, I don't know if I have what it takes to do my job anymore.

It was difficult to talk to the people he loved about his kidnapping and the removal of his bending. He admitted to his girlfriend Ren how badly it affected him in the morning but Hangetsu still felt ashamed about it still impacting his life.
This shame was in no way diminished by unloading his emotional burden onto a complete stranger. Something about talking with someone who suffered through the same experience made him less reticent.

"I'm sorry. You were probably expecting a more pleasant conversation." He grinned at Airi. "Baby penguins or baby badgermoles? Which do you think are cuter?"
Anonymous
Nov 1, 2013 13:44:42 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 1, 2013 13:44:42 GMT -6

"Oh! I'm sorry, I thought..." she trailed off. Anything else she might've added could just make things worse so she stayed her tongue and continued to listen. "I see," she said, wondering why a business would let anyone make their own food. She could only just imagine people going to the Hitomi Bread and Goods to just borrow their oven or workspace.

"That makes sense," she mused aloud when he mentioned having to speak to a counselor. You wouldn't want an on-duty cop emotionally comprimised. Airi knew she wouldn't feel too safe knowing that the people who protected her city were a little distrubed but then she tried to wonder if she was a cop. Would she be able to make a comeback? All she did was help her family in their little business and probended on the side. She didn't know if she'd be ablet to stand being back in the ring after knowing her bending couldn't protect her. She still trusted her bending... oh, it was too complicated to think about.

"I think you should try it," she told him, leaning a bit forward and a look of detirmination on her face. "I mean, I know everything was scary and scarring and, uh, you know, but you said you kind of wanted to be a dective, right? Well... if you were working a case and got discouraged, what would you do? Would you quit, knowing it would be safer? Or would you push through knowing that your work has meaning even if it might be harder?" She paused, realizing the words that had poured from her mouth. The woman leaned back into her chair and held a look of worry on her face. "I-I'm sorry. I shouldn't've said that."

Wanting to change the conversation quickly, she replied, "Baby penguins all the way. I've always wanted to see them but I've never actually wanted to go to anywhere cold, you know?"
Anonymous
Nov 5, 2013 14:48:50 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 5, 2013 14:48:50 GMT -6

With his coffee gone Hangetsu had nothing to awkwardly clutch or sip from when uncomfortable.
Airi's words on the non-baby penguin topic stuck with Hangetsu. That tended to happen if people put things in detective terms. He then thought about the two best detectives he had worked under. His grandmother Han Ye Seul and his current mentor Tae Yeon Choi. Neither were the kind of women who gave in easily.
It was easy to ignore the advice of loved ones for their lack of objectivity but Hangetsu couldn't make that excuse with a stranger. At the very least, talking to the counselor would get his superiors off of his back.

Once again Hangetsu was grateful for his propensity to change the subject when things got awkward.
"Maybe it's an earth bender thing but I have a soft spot for baby badermoles. I read somewhere that they respond well to music. Being a music fan is a sign of character as far as I'm concerned."

"So...what team did you bend for? Me having coffee with a pro bender will probably get a squeal out of my girlfriend."
Anonymous
Nov 5, 2013 15:04:56 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 5, 2013 15:04:56 GMT -6

Airi smiled. Even though being a probender wasn't something she was so proud of anymore - seeing as that was what most likely got the attention on her from the Equalists - it was a welcome change and a topic she knew well. "Raven-Eagles," she told the man, her lips between a smile and a grimmace. "I was supposed to only be an alternative just in case they needed one but they ended up needing me that night. Their captain, Anya, got stage fright or something like that," she mused, trying to look back on that night. No one really could tell for sure what caused the firebender to freeze up so it was just open to speculation.

"It was only one match but I guess that's enough to call me a probender," she sighed with a shrug, lifting the cup to her lips one last time to finish off the drink, with half a hope it would magically taste amazing. No such lucky. It still tasted kind of bitter. "We ended up loosing that match, but it was a really close call in the last round. We could've - if luck had been on our side - knocked out their team. But we didn't so since they had won both earlier rounds, they won." Airi found herself smiling at the end of her story and began to wonder why for a brief moment. "Still, it was fun and exciting. I've never been able to just go all out like that before. It was incredible."

"So your girlfriend is a fan?" she asked, hoping to switch the conversation to his side since it felt like she was doing most of the talking. While she didn't mind talking, she wanted to hear what he had to say, too.
Last edit by Deleted: Nov 5, 2013 15:05:11 GMT -6
Anonymous
Nov 6, 2013 2:14:54 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 6, 2013 2:14:54 GMT -6

Hangetsu liked how Airi talked about Pro Bending. It was like hearing Han talk about analyzing a crime scene or Ren talking about books. He suspected it's what he used to look like when talking about being a cop or about detective work.
It was gratifying to see that someone who had their bending taken away could still feel enthusiasm.

"So your girlfriend is a fan?"
"Not a huge faint-at-the-sight-of-a-pro kind of fan but she'd think it interesting that I ran into you. I don't get to the matches often. I'm not much for downtime, especially since...you know."
He hated how a whole half year of his life had been defined by one act. He reached under his glasses and rubbed his eyes while sighing.

The aspects of his life that didn't involve nearly crippling fear and dread finally came to mind.
"I've been so busy lately that I haven't had time to see any pro bending. Most nights, I read or go for a walk...or train with my sister." He gestured to the healing bruises on the left side of his face which by then were mere blemishes.

Hangetsu chuckled at his list.
"I should probably get out more."
For the first time during his conversation with Airi Hangetsu didn't feel the need to fiddle with his cup or do something else with his hands.
"If you don't mind me asking...are you seeing anyone?"
Anonymous
Nov 6, 2013 22:15:48 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 6, 2013 22:15:48 GMT -6

"Same here," she told the man, shrugging. "I wasn't into probending much until I was asked to be the alternative. With everything going on, I just never thought to return. I heard the line up for probenders is pretty interesting this year, but that's just what I've heard from customers at the bakery." She neither blamed probending for what happened to her - even though she thought it played a part in getting her noticed - or thought it was too traumatizing to go back there. It was a lot of fun and she met so many amazing people. Maybe, just maybe, she'd try to do it again. She had obviously proven herself able to play the game well, but even if she did try to get back into the game who would take the ex-probender that had their bending taken away?

"Oh!" Airi chimed, her eyes sparkling. "Training is a lot of fun. My mother trained me to use my firebending, but my brother is a nonbender," she decided to tell Hangetsu.

"I should probably get out more," he told her and she couldn't help but smile and say, "Same here," in response. So much of her time was spent indoors at the bakery.

"Seeing anyone?" she repeated confused, her head tilting to the side. "Well, I see a lot of customers at the bakery and when I go out on walks. A lot of my friends have moved away," she listed. "I see my family a lot, but-" She paused in the middle of her sentence. Her family! She stood up quickly, pushing her chair back as she did so.

"I'm so sorry, but I just remembered! I need to get back to the bakery. It was really nice talking to you, but I just remembered I was looking after the shop while they went out and had to close it for a few minutes as I went out to get some more flour!" she explained quickly, her words almost blending together as she spoke so fast. "Thank you fore the cufu - cufu, right?" That's what the drink was called? "It was really nice meeting you, but I'm afraid I have to go!" Without another word, she bolted for the door.