The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

One Yuan at a Time (kami)

Anonymous
Oct 21, 2013 21:33:12 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 21, 2013 21:33:12 GMT -6

Airi had given the girl at the bar, Ling, a call the day after. If anyone was to ask her way she wanted to help out with a stranger and only have a roll to keep everyone drinking, she really couldn't have given them a reasonable answer. It was more of a "why not" kind of feel to it. A smile tugged at the edge of her pink lips as she made her way to - oh, what was that place called? - the Golden Pan Saloon, wondering if they cooked on golden pans and that's why Ling liked the place so much. She hadn't actually said that she really liked the place, but she just had a feeling that was the case.

The woman's sister, Mei-zhen, had actually picked up the phone when she called. At the mention of gambling, the sister seemed to have tensed up a bit, her words more stiff through the phone. It seemed a bit odd, but it wasn't exactly her business so she didn't make a deal about it. However, this Mei-zhen did try to warn her about the Golden Fan - Mei must've forgotten the name - saying almost the exact same word Ling had used. "Rowdy". Whether that said something about the place, Airi really didn't know. She had never been around "rowdy" before, unless you count school play grounds.

In the saloon, she went to the bar and took a seat, trying to avoid eye contact with anyone. Rowdy... was not the word she would've used to describe the place. "Do you know if a woman... uh, Ping, is here yet?" she asked, her face reddening quickly. A slip of the tongue plus a momentary lapse in her memory as she tried to recall the name. The bartender simply looked at her like something was funny but didn't do much other than offer her a small, if not ironic, smile.
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 23, 2013 4:41:27 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
ooc; golden PAN lasjdlskfjldsdsfgsss. Also IS THAT A MULAN REFERENCE with Ling/Ping.

"I think you mean Ling," murmured the freckled young woman, appearing suddenly behind Airi. She had been in the Fan for twenty minutes already, chatting up one of the waitresses and trying to find out information about Katsumi. No luck. "The only Ping you'd get around here is Two-Toed Ping, and he's a part of the Triple Threat Triads. You don't want to get his attention."

Gesturing to the bartender, Ling spoke to him in hushed tones and surreptitiously slipped him a hundred-yuan bill. If Airi noticed, she would've had to have quick eyes. The bartender glanced at Airi, then nodded, disappearing and reappearing with several pitchers of ale.

Ling draped her arm around her new partner. "So here's the deal," she said in a soft voice, easily heard by the other woman but not so easily heard above the din of the saloon. "I'm going to start a card game. You sit next to me, and encourage everyone to drink. The more you encourage them to drink, the better."

She glanced at the woman out of the corner of her eye. "Don't take any risks, okay? I'm a good fighter, and I can take care of myself. I don't want to have to take care of you too. The easiest way to convince these guys to drink is to tell them that they haven't had enough to be men. Say something about your dad being able to drink more than them, or talk about how attractive you found some other guy who drank more. Or, if you want, you can flirt with them. These sort of guys like to impress pretty ladies." Ling laughed a little. "I can't do that myself, everyone here knows I'm not interested in men."

The dark-haired woman gave Airi's shoulder a little pat, her grey-blue eyes shining. "Just take it slow, try and pay attention to how much they're drinking and encourage the ones who don't seem to be drinking much. I'll take care of the rest."

With a nod, Ling walked purposefully over to an empty, circular table in the middle of the Saloon and sat down. Seemingly out of nowhere, she pulled out a deck of cards and began to shuffle nonchalantly, leaning back in her chair and propping up her feet. Within moments, a few new faces and few old had gathered around the table.

A burly man with an equally burly moustache spoke first. "You running a game, Ling?" he asked her.

She nodded. "Sure am. Five card draw, Avatars wild." She laid the cards on the table expertly; they were unmarked, and each card was in the theme of one of the four elements. Four cards in each element had a picture on it: young Fire Lord Zuko, back when he was still a prince, princess Yue of the Water Tribes, the Earth King, and Avatar Aang.

Five men sat at the table, all at varying stages of intoxication.

Ling gestured to Airi to come join her. When she did, Ling turned to the men. "This is my new friend, Airi. She's just learning to play so make sure you play your best game and make a good impression for her!"

With that, Ling dealt the cards, five to each person.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 24, 2013 20:17:32 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 24, 2013 20:17:32 GMT -6

Airi giggled. "Sorry. I'm really bad with names," she told the woman as she approached. The next thing the firebender knew, Ling had put an arm around her, telling her what to do. Without any questions, she kept herself to nodding, listening carefully, repeating the important parts to herself a few times. Don't take risks. Encourage people to drink. Got it. At the last part, Airi frowned. "I can take care of myself too," she pouted though her words sounded a bit harsh and she forced herself to calm down a little. She hadn't fought in a while and not with her bending, either. Even if Ling didn't know she was a bender, she should take the advice and try not to do anything that could put herself in harms way.

"Wait, what?" the woman asked, caught off guard. Not into men? she wondered. What did that mean? She tried to keep her confusion from showing but she put some thought into it. They wouldn't think that kind of behavior would be real coming from Ping - uh, Ling - because she didn't like men. Flirting... Not liking men... "Oh!" she exclaimed, her hands going up to her mouth in surprise. She hadn't met anyone like that, but, then again, she didn't really meet a lot of people in bars. Along with that, she had never thought of romantic relationships enough to wonder along those lines. Heck, she hadn't even been in a romantic relationship. Suddenly the plan of flirting with people seemed daunting.

Airi tried to laugh it off but it came out awkward and stiff. Thankfully, Ling had already left for the table. She couldn't imagine what her reaction made her look like in Ling's eyes. She drifted towards the table, noticing several men doing the same. "Hi," she said a bit shyly when Ling introduced her. Her hands were behind her back and her head tilted down though her eyes looking up at them. Some of them smiled, others looked at the cards very fiercely like they were determined to win this game. Quickly, she took a seat next to the woman as she dolled out the cards. She watched with interest, occasionally glancing up at the men to flash a smile when she remembered that she had to get them drinking. That was now, right?

She backed up her chair a few inches and slid out to grab the ales. When she returned, she noticed her absence had been noted by a few of them. "Who wants something to drink?" she asked hopefully. A few took her up on the offer but a few of the ore adamant ones ignored her. Did she do something wrong? How was one supposed to flirt or get someone to drink when they wouldn't even look at her? Without having noticed it, her smile had fallen and her gaze was locked on the drinks. From the corner of her eye, she noticed one of the men who had taken a drink nudging one of those that didn't. She couldn't hear what he was saying, but she understood the body language well enough to know they thought she was upset because they had rejected her or something. A few more took some drinks. "Great!" she chimed, grabbing one for herself and taking a seat again though she didn't take a sip yet.

Her attention turned back to Ling, wondering where she was in the game and if her efforts had done anything to actually help the scam.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 31, 2013 8:16:08 GMT -6

Ling checked a grin as Airi's crestfallen face encouraged some other men to pick up a few drinks. Pretending she didn't notice, she threw down a fifty-yuan bill in the centre of the table.

"Fifty yuans to start folks, who's in?" Her grey eyes moved from face to face around the circle. One man couldn't check the slight tug at the corners of his mouth before Ling noticed. Bad hand, she thought to herself. The man directly across from her was more composed, but she didn't miss the ever so slight dilation in his pupils. Probably a good hand, she guessed.

The man closest to Airi, the one who nudged his friend to take a drink, had what was probably the worst card face Ling had ever seen. Not only did his face fall, but he actually, literally began to sweat. Ling sucked in a small portion of the inside of her lip and bit it to keep from laughing. Someone had an awful hand, apparently!

She didn't have time to check the other two men's faces before more money was placed in the centre of the table. When all was said and done, the pot in the middle amounted to just slightly over a hundred and fifty yuans.

The young woman glanced at her cards quickly, only lifting up the edges of the cards closest to her to see the numbers and symbols. Three tens, and two nines. Not a bad first hand at all.

A few of the players switched out some cards; Ling dutifully issued new ones. Another round of betting, and she put the deck of cards to the side.

The man next to Airi threw down his cards in irritation. Not a single card matched in number, symbol, or picture. A total bust.

The next man had a pair of fours, and no other matches.

The man after that grinned widely. "Straight," he announced, laying down a four, five, six, seven, and eight of varying elements. He reached for the middle of the pile.

"Not so fast," said the man across from Ling. He laid down his cards: all "Earth" symbol cards, the highest value of which was his Earth King card. The player with the straight frowned, relinquishing the pile.

"Not so fast yourself, bub," Ling said, rapping his knuckles with her fingers jokingly. She flipped over her cards with a flourish. "Full house."

Everyone at the table groaned as Ling gathered up the yuans and drew them to herself. "Another round, anyone?" She nudged Airi under the table with her foot, keeping her face pleasant and looking away from her new partner. She was hoping Airi would take a hint and encourage the men to drink more.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 1, 2013 14:10:07 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 1, 2013 14:10:07 GMT -6

Airi watched eagarly as the game played before her. Constantly her eyes moved from the other players back to Ling, wondering if she could get anything off of them. Quickly she found out that the answer to that was going to be a no. Only one seemed to be visually distressed by the hand he was played. Everyone else was a mystery to her except for the woman beside her. Every so often, the firebender would remember her job and smile sweetly at a few people which caused a bit of confusion. One or two of them would look conflicted, wondering whether they wanted to put their energy into smiling back or concentrating on winning the game.

It wasn't too long before Ling won and her heart skipped a beat. Ling was good at this! She tried to imagine herself in her companion's position and soon found that she wouldn't be doing as well. Her face was too easily morphed by emotions. She'd never be able to keep - what did they call it when someone could look stoic?

She shot up in her seat, pushed out of her own thoughts, when she was nudged. "Stay," she told the men, "I'll grab them for you." Her skirt swished behind her as she made her way back to the bar to pick up another few drinks. Returning, she knew she might not have the same kind of luck she had earlier. This might actually take some thought process to try and get these men to drink. As she neared the table, she replaced the men's drinks, taking their cups if they were empty or nearing it. No one really seemed to notice her involvement. More than a few looked even more detirmined than before; it would take more coaxing to get them to drink.

After taking the empty mugs to the bar, she took her seat and looked at her own beverage, still as full as it was before. With a surge of courage pushing through her, she took hold of the glass and held it up to her mouth and took a sip. It wasn't too strong but with her intolerance for the stuff it wasn't that hard to pretend that it was. "Whoa, this stuff is strong. I can't believe you guys drink this often," she exclaimed, blinking quickly. From the corner of her eye, smug looks from the men stood out and they took long drinks from their own glasses.

"It's no problem for us," one told her, obviously trying too hard to be sauve.

"Wow," she said, pretending to be impressed, her yellow eyes wide and excited.

As the game progressed, Ling always in the lead, Airi became more and more comfortable with serving the men their drinkings. It wasn't long until she noticed how high their bets were becoming. Sadly, their luck this night had quickly run out as they found out one of the men was quite an angry drunk.

"I'm getting sick of losing!" one of the men shouted, throwing down his cards. For a moment Airi feared he might've flipped or broken the table, her eyes growing large at the sight before her. Some of the others joined in, claiming that Ling was cheating. Without a moments hesitation, she pushed her seat back and stood up. Suddenly she remembered what Ling had said earlier about her being able to protect herself but not Airi as well. That was fine; she could take care of herself.

Though most of the rage from the losing contestants was aimed at Ling, they quickly remembered her presence there. "Ling," she whispered, her hand absently reaching for the woman's. "We should probably run."
Last edit by Deleted: Nov 11, 2013 22:04:27 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 13, 2013 21:55:56 GMT -6

Instead of running, Ling looked calmly up at the angry drunk. She could smell the alcohol on his breath from where she was sitting, and he looked so unsteady on his feet that a sneeze might knock him over. A few of the other bystanders — clearly the angry drunk's friends — accused her of cheating.

"Can you prove it?" she asked, the gap in her two front teeth obvious as she stretched a bemused grin over her face. She gently pulled her wrist from Airi's grasp, pushed up the sleeves on her overcoat, turned the pockets inside out and unbuttoned the cuffs on her shirt and shook her arms. The crowd was silent as she did so, and the only sound they could hear was the flapping of fabric.

"Nothing up my sleeves," she remarked, watching with total amusement as the drunk's already-red face got even redder. "Unless you happen to think I'm some sort of card-bender...?" The derision in her voice was nearly palpable, and a few of the players and other bystanders laughed.

"Yer jes' drunk, bub," said someone in the crowd.
"Yeah, if you can't hold your booze don't play cards!" said another.

The angry drunk looked a little wrong-footed, then turned to go. Ling realised a split second too late that it was a feint, barely having time to dodge and grab Airi on the way by. The two of them slammed into a nearby booth as the drunk toppled over from the momentum of his punch, landing with a bang! on the wooden table and upending it. Bystander and player alike had pushed away from the table, some with their fists up and others with hands inching closer to weapons on belts or up sleeves.

Ling briefly touched her coatsleeve to make sure that the strings for her mechanism release were easily accessible before helping Airi up, not taking her eyes off of the drunk and his friends.

"Look, unless you wanna get into a fight with me, you should go as soon as someone throws the first punch. This place is going to get wild after that." She spared Airi a glance, grinning with genuine enjoyment from ear-to-ear. "This thing is kinda my calling though, so I'm gonna stick around."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 14, 2013 14:50:34 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 14, 2013 14:50:34 GMT -6

As the scene before her played out, Airi realized that she was way out of her element here. Before it was kind of obvious but now it was so obvious that it was like a street vender shoving their product in her face. The woman was apart of the silent and everwatching crowd as Ling unbuttoned her sleeves to show the drunk she hadn't cheated - which surprised Airi as she had thought the woman had to have been cheating to win that well or was very lucky.

A nervous laugh made its way past her lips, joining the chorus of the laughs of some of the patrons of the place. Was a joke a good idea, dealing with a drunk like that? Her eyes wide, she passed a glance towards the player, wondering if it had made him disfuse a bit or had possibly put him more on edge. She hoped it wasn't the latter. Thankfully, others in the crowd joined in with Ling's teasing and Airi relaxed a bit, not having noticed how stiff she had become in her panic.

Not even a few seconds later, Airi found herself pushed down by her companion, hitting the floor with a loud thud. Confusion swept over her like a wave and she couldn't quite manage to orientate herself quick enough. Which was up? Which was down? Left or right? The only time she had ever remembered this kind of disorentation was when she was trainging to be a probender and she took a dive into the sink to learn how to get back out in case she was ever in the rink and knocked out. A hand met her own as she struggled to balance herself and without giving it much thought, she took it and heaved herself up.

"This thing is kinda my calling though, so I'm going to stick around," said Ling whose smile couldn't have been any bigger. Just what kind of person was she, gambling and fighting like it was just as normal as anything else.

Still, no matter who Ling was, Airi thought of the fight. She knew she could fight. She had been taught to fight by her mother, if ever she needed the chance to defend herself. Probending had been so much fun to just let herself go along with and she couldn't shake the thought that a fight like this could be just as fun or worthwhile. "I'm going to stay. I can take care of myself," the firebender stated. She smiled and her fists curled together, ready to fight.

The drunk had picked himself up with the help of one of his 'buds' and charged their way. Airi didn't know why, but she wanted to prove to Ling she could fight. The woman was amazing, doing all these things so smoothly that praise from her sounded like something to strive for, so as the man stormed towards them she swiftly slid herself around the tanned woman and grabbed his outstretched arm and redirecting him towards a table and pushing him, a trick taught to her by her brother while her bending was gone.

What Ling had said about this place going wild after the first punch wasn't wrong, it was simply understated. As he fell, others joined in to the fight. Airi doubted there was even a reason to the others joining to fight other than to participate in a fight so in the chaos she tried to find Ling to see what she was doing except she wasn't given a chance to look, most of her concentration trying to survive the fight. Using her firebending crossed her mind but what use would that be? Even if she used it only a little, in this space she could burn down the building.

A fist swung her way and she ducked, her hair comically poofing up as she dropped and moved forward to deliver an attack of her own.
Last edit by Deleted: Nov 14, 2013 14:51:00 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 20, 2013 7:30:44 GMT -6

Ling's grin grew wider when Airi insisted on staying. "Suit yourself," she said, laughter in her voice, as she rushed to meet the drunk player head on. He swung erratically at her, his movements dulled by the drinks he'd consumed; the young woman dodged easily, her black hair swaying. His left fist went past her face as she dodged to the right, so she grabbed the wrist with one hand as it went by and pushed as hard and as quickly as she could against his elbow with the other. There was a sickening crack as bone fractured; the big man howled with pain as he dropped to his knees, clutching his arm. When he dropped, playing cards similar to Ling's fluttered out of his shirtsleeves.

Using the confusion and chaos of the bar brawl as cover, Ling ducked low and grabbed the man's collar, pulling him in. "You're not welcome here any more," she said, her voice pleasant but her grey-blue eyes as hard tempered steel. "Accusing me of cheating and starting this mess is one thing; but falsely accusing me when you're the one cheating, biǎoziyǎngde, we don't take kindly to that here."

Just then, one of his buddies appeared, rushing at her with all he was worth. Ling scrambled ungracefully out of the way, tucking into a summersault and popping up net to Airi just as the other young woman dodged a punch. "Nice one!" she said, lifting her leg and kicking her pursuant in the face.

The rest of the 'Fan was really warming up to the fight; there hadn't been a brawl like this for weeks, and everyone seemed to be glad to get rid of some tension. Mugs crashed to the ground, bowls and plates flew overhead and crashed into each other, and a few waterbenders were wooshing water around.

Ling glanced over at the bartender and caught his eye. He stood behind the counter, seemingly unperturbed by the massive scene in front of him, wiping out the inside of a tankard. She grinned at him, just as she caught a fist in the cheek. She staggered back, her eyes shining and a grin spreading over her already sore face. She spat out a bit of blood, and rushed in with a flurry of blows. The 'Fan was filled with a crashing cacophony off fists hitting faces, dishes breaking and falling, and the shouts and grunts of the fighters.

Then, starting from the back of the saloon and spreading like a ripple, silence fell. Two very large, very wide, very muscular bald men were heading to the centre of the room.

Gruffly, one off them spoke in a deep voice. "Well...?"

As if of one mind, the fighters all took a step back, forming a ring around and pointing at the man that attacked Ling, who was still kneeling on the ground, clutching his elbow and sobbing.

"He started it!"

With surprising agility, the two big men grabbed the crying drunk by his collar, picked him up off the floor, and tossed him out of the fan's swinging double doors with no ceremony. The unresponsive bartender then walked out after him, said a few low words, handed him a business card, and pointed him down the street. He's too kind, Ling thought to herself with bemusement, raising a hand to her swelling cheek to feel for any broken bones.

Finding none, she turned away from the door to find Airi, who was still near the centre of the fan. The rest of the patrons had already started to settle down, picking up fallen chairs and broken tableware. Ling draped an arm around Airi's shoulders, grinning as much as her messed up face would allow.

"You handled yourself pretty well there," she said, her tone surprised but pleased. "You kept cool, too, which isn't really something you see when someone's faced with their first bar fight."

Ling glanced at Airi, eyebrow raised. "Or maybe it wasn't your first," she suggested.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Nov 20, 2013 7:32:04 GMT -6
Anonymous
Nov 20, 2013 10:15:55 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 20, 2013 10:15:55 GMT -6

Fists here, feet there, the whole place was a mess of limbs flying around the place trying to connect with whatever they could. The hardest thing about the fight was keeping her back safe. With attacks coming in from every direction, her back was a big target. Despite her best efforts, several blows had been delivered to the back of her legs and a few to her shoulder which ached with every movement from then on out. Each punch she threw sent a shock through her body and left her feeling like two platypusbears had walked all over her back.

Suddenly, the place muted itself and all Airi could hear was the sound of her heavy breath and the steps of two large men who entered the Golden Fan. Her hair was in disarray and her exposed skin was patterned with bruises - man, was her mother going to have a field day with that when she got home.

She watched with ready eyes as a man was thrown out of the room, wincing at the sound as the man hit the ground. With no more fighting going on and the scapegoat dealt with, the firebender turned to find Ling only to find out she was already there, wrapping an arm around her. She winced as the pain in her shoulder sent another shock through her body, feeling it all the way down to her toes. Airi's yellow eyes studied her companion's face. She had taken a few bad hits there, huh? Whereas Airi was left with a bad shoulder, a ton of bruises and a few scrapes. It made her feel very lucky only to get out with that few of injuries.

"Thanks," Airi said, a light blush heating up her face, glad to get a compliment from Ling. Sadly, that didn't last long as her tone took a sudden turn to being suspicious. "You got me. I've never been in a fight like this, but I was a probender once. One game, plus we lost," she told her awkwardly. The woman made her way outside slowly, the heat of the fight making the air very stuffy in the Golden Pan - uh, Fan.

"Should I have told you?" the young woman said flustered. "I'm sorry. Things just slip my mind! Did I worry you? I didn't mean to worry you. Sorry," she squeaked out, her face turning more red than before. Good job, she thought to herself pitifully.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 22, 2013 23:31:18 GMT -6

OOC: Not sure where you want to go from here, but this seems like a suitable place to wrap this particular thread. Feel free to PM me if you wanna keep going with a new story :3

Ling laughed, waving Airi's concerns away. "Hey, whatever, your life is your business. I'm just glad you could put your money where your mouth was — so to speak." She followed Airi out into the fresh night air, signalling to a waitress before doing so. She leaned up against the side of the building, crossing her left leg behind her right. After a few moments, a waitress appeared with a small cloth that clunked together with the sound of ice cubes. Ling accepted it gratefully, gingerly pressing the compress against her swelling face. She'd probably get a bit of a black eye, too. Mei wouldn't be happy, but her older sister knew better than to try and fix her brawl injuries with water healing.

"A bit of an eventful night, though," the woman continued, staring off into the dimly lit roads. "Contrary to what you just saw, bar brawls aren't really par for the course when I run a game. I think everyone was just raring to blow off some steam. Things've been kinda tense around here, what with the whole..." Ling gestured. "Equalist thing."

Suddenly serious, Ling turned to Airi. "It's late; I should probably head home myself, but can I walk you home? You said you were a probender, right? Streets aren't really... safe for benders, late at night."

It was one of her constant worries with Mei's late clinic hours. Not that her sister couldn't take care of herself, and not like the Equalists had gotten any more active since Amon's downfall and the Galgori takeover, but...

"Or at least let me call you a cab," Ling amended.
This user is Mod