The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Nickels and Dimes [tag: Kami]

Anonymous
Oct 8, 2013 1:01:54 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 8, 2013 1:01:54 GMT -6

Hyuk-jae was nearly speechless with gratitude for, well, everything that had happened to him in the last day and a half. It was out of this world for him to be able to take a well-paying job. More than that, he'd never, in his wildest dreams, imagined he'd be working for someone who not only understood his condition, but didn't look down on him for it. His new friend had dragged him from her office after it was apparent that he had no idea what to say, intent on taking him shopping. Something about a need to dress him in 'appropriate attire for customers'.The two of them hit the streets, blinking in the bright morning sunlight. The sun was so high! They'd slept quite late by Hyuk-jae's standards, despite the long night.

He was unsure of how many things he could buy with three-hundred yuans. Well, less, actually. He had rent to pay out and had already imagined purchasing groceries — he'd be able to cook! He could eat breakfast. Trying to mentally add up his expenses, he set aside some to save and some for food and some for rent... he could probably afford at least a new shirt and trousers. Maybe new soles for his boots? Though that would mean buying a second pair of shoes for the interim. Could he afford new shoes, too? This was getting complicated! Stuffing his hands into his pockets, Hyuk-jae sighed and followed Nagisa through the streets. The shorter boy was a very fashionable type, always dressed perfectly, not a hair out of place. What kind of places would he be recommending? Hyuk-jae couldn't imagine wearing waistcoats the way Nagisa did.

The first shop they entered was filled with color. It smelled of leather and bright citrus, clean and cheerful and well-organized. A shop assistant greeted them warmly, obviously recognizing Nagisa. They were offered to look around, and as he did so, the slender young man realized he hadn't ever really been inside a clothing store like this before. His mother made all his clothes growing up to save money, and when he'd left home Hyuk-jae had taken things she'd made with him. When a growth spurt forced him to need new things, he'd traded with others to get them or bought second-hand. Hyuk-jae tended to wear black and white only, in no little part due to that being all he had, but also because he felt it suited him. It was easy to find and looked nice enough. He looked with dubious eyes at the clothing on its racks, and as he flipped over a price tag on a royal blue shirt-sleeve, he nearly choked. Sixty yuans for a shirt? Were they insane?

Nothing about the olive green shirt could be worth sixty yuans. Could it? Surely there was some kind of mistake. He checked the sleeve of a plain, crisp white oxford.

Nope.

Hyuk-jae had never paid sixty yuans for anything — other than rent — in his life. "N-nagisa!" he looked up and craned his head, trying to locate the other young man. His bright orange eyes were wide, a panicked expression crossing his face. "We should go someplace else!" he hissed, catching Nagisa's attention. "I can't afford this!" Sixty yuans for a shirt, indeed. Hyuk-jae turned, looking over his shoulder at the patterned… whatever-they-were… behind him. "Somewhere simpler," he begged. "Come on."
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 8, 2013 1:14:40 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 8, 2013 2:20:48 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
That went much better than Nagisa had hoped. Who knew that the Madame would've been just so perfectly equipped to help Hyuk-jae make the decision to be a host! He made a mental note to ask more about this epilepsy stuff. He'd never heard of it before, but it sounded like there were some awful people out there who just made the lives of people who had it just miserable despite it being something they couldn't control. Sure, there might be some danger but ... he didn't know. It just seemed unfair.

Their first shop was one of Nagisa's favourite. He bought a majority of his shirts here, and the quality was just excellent. Excitedly, he waited for Hyuk-jae to choose a shirt.

Hyuk-jae, it seemed, had other ideas.

"We should go someplace else! I can't afford this! Somewhere simpler. Come on."

Nagisa frowned. "You're going to be a host now, Hyuk-jae. You have to dress nice. Dressing nice is expensive sometimes!" He looked at the price tag of a shirt nearest to him. Sixty yuans. Not bad. "It's just sixty," he said, making a face. "I know that seems like a lot right now but think of it this way! You're going to be remaking that after just an hour's worth of work! And if you don't have enough from last night I can help you. You need at least one good suit for tomorrow, we have work."

He rattled off a list. "You need a button down dress shirt, new trousers, new socks, a cravat, a blazer or a coat —- do you like coattails? —, maybe a waistcoat, a ribbon for your hair — yes just go look at them okay? — and definitely a pair of leather shoes."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 8, 2013 3:04:42 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 8, 2013 3:04:42 GMT -6

"Just sixty?" Hyuk-jae gaped, open-mouthed, at his friend. That was easily half his rent! Easily. "That's — that's a lot of money, Nagisa!" But it seemed the fluffy-haired young man wouldn't hear his objections. He refused to move from the spot in the store and instead made it a point to tell Hyuk-jae exactly what he needed to buy.

Bewildered. That was the best word to describe Hyuk-jae as Nagisa rattled off a long list of things he needed. He wasn't sure he really knew what a cravat was, let alone why he'd need one. "I am not wearing a hair ribbon," he objected, very firmly. "I don't need coattails." A suit, sure. That was reasonable. A blazer? Fine. That made sense, too. Maybe. As long as it was plain. But a vest? Extra everything? It was not only unreasonable, but it just…

Nagisa was already moving about the store, picking up brightly colored shirts and silky ties and who knew what else, nattering on about how this one would look perfect with his skin tone and that one would match his eyes and it was really, really overwhelming. Swallowing, Hyuk-jae watched his friend pick up a fifth shirt and his mouth went dry.

"Stop," he said softly, catching Nagisa's arm. "Stop. I can't — I'm really uncomfortable with this." It was embarrassing, somehow. He felt so out of place. The salesman was eyeing him with an odd sort of pitying look, and he was acutely aware of how low-class he was. Couldn't they go some place simpler? What was wrong with buying a white shirt, or a plain black suit? Was wanting to buy a good waxed-cotton jacket to protect against rain really such a bad idea? Hyuk-jae tugged his earrings, glancing at the door.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 8, 2013 3:17:51 GMT -6

"Stop. I can't — I'm really uncomfortable with this."

Nagisa frowned, his eyes growing big. "But--" he started. It made sense, of course, that Hyuk-jae would be uncomfortable with spending this much money at once if he hadn't had any before. But couldn't he see it was all different now? He was going to have a job. A good job.

"But--" he started again, his lip quivering. The armful of clothes started to shake. "I-- you need to have these clothes!" Nagisa tried again. "I mean, you have to work, and you have to look good. We got lucky with the kimono on your first night but... but...!"

His face lit up as he had an idea. "You can buy other clothes later, if you want!" He smiled again, warming up to the idea. "Whatever you want, to replace what you have now. But you need a suit for work. You're going to be my partner, we're going to have to compliment each other!"

He pulled a face. "And you can't just pick plain black and white stuff okay?" He tugged at what Hyuk-jae was wearing. "You'll get mistaken for the wait-staff!"

"Come on, Hyuk-jae," he said. "It'll be fine! I promise!"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 8, 2013 13:12:32 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 8, 2013 13:12:32 GMT -6

"I can look nice," Hyuk-jae tried to explain, "in things that cost less. Can't I? And —"

But Nagisa was going full-steam now, lip quivering as he valiantly explained why he thought Hyuk-jae needed to buy these clothes from this store right now. The shorter young man even went so far as to say he could spend more money on other clothes later, which was, in Hyuk-jae's opinion, ludicrous. Why would he want to spend more when he could just buy suitable things to start out with?

Sighing, he yielded at least a little. It was the only way to appease Nagisa, he was sure, and he couldn't have him get more upset in the middle of a store. "I'll at least try things on, okay? How about that?" But, as he eyed the patterned shirts in Nagisa's arms, the former newspaper boy set his jaw. "But not hair ribbons. And not this." He picked up the sleeve of a floral shirt.

"If you want us to be complimentary, why shouldn't I wear plain things?" Sweeping his hand up and down in a gesture to Nagisa's entire personage, Hyuk-jae raised an eyebrow. "Wouldn't it be more complimentary if I set off what you wear, instead of matching it?" He picked up a pale grey shirt. "I said I'd try things on. Let's do that." At least it would get them off the sales floor for a moment.

Hyuk-jae picked up a pair of navy trousers and a white shirt as he walked toward the back, ignoring Nagisa's protests about them being plain. In the back, he grasped the fluffy-haired young man's wrist just as Nagisa turned to 'go find more things'. "Oh no you don't," he said. "You're coming in here with me. I'm not going to parade out there to show you." Under no circumstances was he walking out of a fitting room in a floral shirt.

Not even if Nagisa cried. No way.

Stuffing them both into a fitting room, Hyuk-jae pulled the door shut and clicked the lock. Quickly, he shinned his shirt off over his head without unbuttoning it, and reached for the pale grey. Catching sight of the mirror, he grimaced a little at a fading-green handprint shaped bruise on his hip. He stuffed an arm into the sleeve of the shirt, hoping to hide the rest of his bruises with clothes. He tended to always have a few marks on his pale skin, partly from being clumsy and partly from fits and partly, when he wasn't careful, from Mr. Gil's temper. Hyuk-jae quietly hooked buttons on the shirt, trying to ignore Nagisa's staring. He cuffed the sleeves to the elbow, rubbing his thumb across the smooth feel of fine fabric.

It was definitely the nicest thing he'd ever put on.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 8, 2013 16:07:05 GMT -6

Plain things. Nagisa huffed as Hyuk-jae grabbed his wrist and dragged him off to the fitting rooms. Plain things indeed! How Hyuk-jae couldn't see the merits of wearing patterned fabrics was beyond him. And his flat-out refusal to wear a hair ribbon! How impossible. He would look so classy with one. The young man blew a strand of hair out from his eyes as they entered the changing room.

He sat on the small little bench-thing that was attached to one of the corners, swinging his legs like a child as Hyuk-jae began trying on his (plain, ugh) choices, watching with interest both academic and... not. His eyes narrowed as he spotted a greenish bruise on Hyuk-jae's hip. He shot Hyuk-jae a glance, but the other man seemed too preoccupied with getting the new clothes on.

When Hyuk-jae was finished buttoning the shirt, Nagisa nodded with begrudging approval. The unpatterned fabric suited him; the shorter man suddenly had a hard time imagining Hyuk-jae in anything patterned, much less floral. He sighed in acquiescence and got to his feet.

"You look great," he said, smiling and touching the soft shirt in appreciation. "The grey looks good on you.  Maybe we can try other muted colours too. Maybe an olive green, or a grey-blue. We'll have to try on trousers next, too, then when you've made your choices we'll stop by the tailor to make sure they fit a little better, okay?"
This user is Mod
Last edit: Oct 8, 2013 16:07:25 GMT -6
Anonymous
Oct 8, 2013 16:27:41 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 8, 2013 16:27:41 GMT -6

Nagisa was staring at him. Hyuk-jae began to regret putting them in the fitting room together, but he doubted that his new friend would've taken his word for what looked good and what didn't. The only other option was to repeatedly go out and back in, putting on and taking off. It was a pain, and he was still naggingly uncomfortable. "What?" he asked, voice a bit rougher intended. He ran a finger under the collar of the shirt.

"You look great."

Glancing in the mirror, Hyuk-jae shrugged. The pale grey was fine. He was already pale and it looked nice enough with his hair, he supposed. Unused to having the luxury of caring about an outfit, he found it difficult to muster an opinion. It was a shirt, right? Just a shirt. It was fine.

Too expensive, but fine.

"We'll have to try on trousers next, too, then when you've made your choices we'll stop by the tailor to make sure they fit a little better, okay?"

Sighing, the taller young man started to pull the shirt off without unbuttoning it. The look on Nagisa's face stopped him and he sheepishly pulled at the tiny buttons, carefully undoing it and taking it off. He forgot, in his concern to be careful with the clothing, to be worried about Nagisa seeing any part of him. The white oxford shirt went on next, sleeves cuffed to the elbow and top two buttons left undone, followed by the navy trousers. They fit closer than his old ones, which were running a bit worse for the wear despite his careful mending. He almost put them where Nagisa couldn't see them, embarrassed about how patched they were for a moment. The navy ones were soft and clean and hugged his thighs. Hyuk-jae raised a brow, looking in the mirror. "Is this what you want me to look like?" he asked, waving his hand down at his body.

The navy suited him. It was softer than black, but still plain. Hyuk-jae tossed his head a little, moving his hair out of his eyes. It had gotten a bit long since the last time he'd bothered to take scissors to it. He watched Nagisa's face for a reaction. Really, the young man felt that it mostly mattered what Nagisa thought about his appearance. Hyuk-jae would be happy to entertain in a plain shirt and trousers, with maybe a simple jacket. He didn't think anything of it, and didn't mind what he looked like as long as it wasn't full of ribbons and horribly uncomfortable. He had simple tastes when it came to clothing, preferring clean, utilitarian lines and solid colors to anything else.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 8, 2013 19:49:25 GMT -6

He stifled a cry when Hyuk-jae reached up to pull the button-down over his head, but the look on his face must have been obvious because he gave him a sheepish grin and began unbuttoning it properly.  Nagisa couldn't help but see, when the shirt came off, the bruises on Hyuk-jae's body. His appreciative look turned critical as he studied them, all in various stages of healing. Did Hyuk-jae do it to himself? Or —

But when Hyuk-jae put on the navy blue trousers, Nagisa was speechless, his mouth hanging slightly open, eyes wide. He stared, all thoughts of bruising forgotten.

"Is this what you want me to look like?"

"I..." Nagisa cleared his throat. "You — you look great. Really." He tugged at his cravat. "I think blue suits you really well. You looked fabulous in the kimono last night too." He started sorting through the clothes. "So do you want to start off with two shirts and come back later? We still need to get some other things."

He held up Hyuk-jae's actual shirt. "We can get you a few white and off-white shirts too, as long as you promise to wear some colour in a blazer or trousers or something." None of this black-and-black or black-and-white outfitting, not while he was breathing. Nagisa wanted his partner to compliment him, not blend in with the non-host employees.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Oct 8, 2013 23:59:08 GMT -6
Anonymous
Oct 8, 2013 20:04:40 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 8, 2013 20:04:40 GMT -6

"… Okay." Hyuk-jae quickly put his own shirt back on, jumping at the chance to be done with this. He chose the navy trousers and two shirts: one white, despite Nagisa's grumbling, and one blue. While Nagisa made him promise to wear color, he didn't specify which… so Hyuk-jae bought a light pearl-grey blazer. The total almost made him hyperventilate, and the clerk actually laughed for a moment before catching sight of his face.

As they left, Hyuk-jae hung onto the package as if it were made of gold itself. He could not believe how much he'd spent. It was unreasonable. Unfathomable. It was downright sinful! When he thought of his rent and food, the corners of his mouth turned down.

Nagisa, of course, was ecstatic. He chattered on about getting Hyuk-jae's hair 'done', whatever that entailed, and the former newsie flat out refused. His hair was fine! He actually kind of liked it how long it was then. He could just pull it back into a little ponytail, though it left some of the side-swept front out. What was wrong with that? It was fine!

They walked along the streets, catching bemused glances from people who probably assumed he was carrying Nagisa's purchases. As they passed by a shop window, though, Hyuk-jae stopped. He stared into the store, eyes on a beautiful, honey-colored guitar. It was breathtaking. He could see, in the back of the store, what looked like a workshop. Slender fingers pressed against the glass. He hadn't had regular access to a guitar in… two years. He stood there for a long moment, not saying anything. His arm dropped to his side, but after a few minutes he seemed to shake his head.

Without thinking to ask Nagisa to stop walking, Hyuk-jae stepped into the shop. Ramamurthy and Sons — he noted the sign. Setting his packages down, he took the guitar down from its display with tender hands. A chair nearby offered refuge and Hyuk-jae sat, testing the strings. Clear, perfect notes sounded in the shop. Someone came out from the back to ask if he needed assistance, but by that time he'd already started picking out a gentle, folksy melody. Hyuk-jae's mouth curved into a soft, satisfied smile.

He still knew how to play.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 8, 2013 22:45:59 GMT -6

He almost missed it. He had been chattering along about his favourite tailors as they headed to the next shop when Hyuk-jae stopped following him. If he hadn't turned to look at his friend's reaction just then, he would have kept going and they would've been separated.

There was a light in Hyuk-jae's eyes as he stood in front of a music shop; Nagisa raised an eyebrow, watching with interest as Hyuk-jae pressed his fingertips lightly to the glass, mesmerised. The shorter man opened his mouth to ask a question, but Hyuk-jae ducked inside, completely oblivious, taking a lovely guitar off its stand. A shop employee hurried forward as Hyuk-jae sat in a nearby chair and began to play a lovely little melody. Nagisa waved the employee away, smiling reflexively as he saw Hyuk-jae smile as he played. The song, though originally unfamiliar, slowly changed into something Nagisa recognised.

On impulse, Nagisa looked around the store and saw a small piano just a few feet away from where Hyuk-jae was sitting. He listened for a few moments, tapping his foot to the beat, before crossing to the piano and jumping in.

It was nice to be playing the piano again; while he occasionally played at the Host Club, most of his clients would rather that he talk to them rather than play them a song. It was one of the few things he missed about working in the jazz club. He didn't notice, but a small crowd had gathered in front of the music shop to listen, murmuring amongst themselves.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 8, 2013 23:19:51 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 8, 2013 23:19:51 GMT -6

It was a love song. An extremely popular one, at that — Hyuk-jae looked up at Nagisa, smiling a little as the shorter man began to play. He hadn't known Nagisa was a musician! Once the piano accompaniment was well and truly underway, Hyuk-jae began to sing softly, ignoring the spectators. He kept his gaze down around his shoes, hair half-covering his face. Perhaps he didn't even see the people watching? Totally focused on the guitar and the music, Hyuk-jae pushed the melody into something a little more melancholy. Nagisa seemed experienced with jazz, because as the guitar changed the song, his piano went with it.

"I'll be seeing you in all the old familiar places… that this heart of mine embraces all day and through…"

Hyuk-jae had an almost-rough voice; a vulnerable, intimate slur. The clerk smiled, leaving them to play — everyone enjoyed jazz these days, and their rendition of the love song was definitely more earthy and smoky than the usual radio version. It was no wonder they had spectators. The two hosts were practically putting on a jazz club in the shop!

"I'll find you in the morning sun, and when the night is new
I'll be looking at the moon, but I'll be seeing you …"

The song came to an end, and Hyuk-jae stilled his fingers. "I didn't know you played," he said, looking over at Nagisa. He flushed, realizing how many people were standing around. "Em —" gingerly, he set the guitar aside. "I, um."
"Thanks," said the clerk. "You guys were great. I haven't quite heard that song like that?"
"Oh." Hyuk-jae waved a hand, standing up and taking his packages. "I'm just not a great singer, I have to do everything my way. It's not a big deal. I was just messing around." The opportunity to play had been too good to pass up. The guitar itself though was way out of his league — it was a beautiful and fine piece of craftsmanship. The now-host had not yet considered the possibility of playing music while hosting, or for money. The fact that people were watching him twisted his stomach.

"Your instruments are beautiful here," he added, and looked at Nagisa for help. Hyuk-jae wanted to walk out, but that wasn't quite appropriate. What else did they have to do that day? Go to the tailor? Wash his hair, or something?
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 8, 2013 23:27:41 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 8, 2013 23:58:39 GMT -6

There was a raw power to Hyuk-jae's voice that sent shivers down Nagisa's spine. They continued to play, in perfect harmony, until the song was finished. It wasn't until he heard soft applause that he looked up from the keyboard and noticed a crowd.

"I didn't know you played."

Nagisa grinned. "Yeah. My dad's a pianist."

The crowd caught his attention again; he smiled, a true showman, and gave a little bow before rejoining Hyuk-jae. The dark-haired man had put the guitar back, and was awkwardly chatting with the clerk.

"Your instruments are beautiful here."

Nagisa met his eyes and saw an unmistakable help me! in them. He hooked his arm casually in the crook of Hyuk-jae's. "Yes, they are very beautiful. Could I perhaps have your card? Buying an instrument, of course, is a big decision, and we're shopping around for the best quality."

The clerk gave him a funny look, no doubt wondering why a twelve year old (or so he probably thought, anyway) was speaking for an adult, but dutifully went to the counter and returned with a business card. Nagisa smiled pleasantly.

"Thank you," he said tucking the card in his pocket and scooping up Hyuk-jae's shopping bags with his free arm. "I'll give you a call once we make a decision."

The crowd tried to press in as they exited the store, but Nagisa expertly navigated through. "Excuse me," he said, his voice clear and loud. "Please let us pass." He steered Hyuk-jae past the gathered crowd, which eventually dispersed with minor grumbles of disappointment over not finding out anything about the mysterious music-playing duo.

"That was beautiful," Nagisa told Hyuk-jae once they were on their own again and heading to the tailor he frequented. "You looked really happy while playing. Has it been a long time since you last played?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 9, 2013 0:49:34 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 9, 2013 0:49:34 GMT -6

Nagisa's ability to extricate them from situations was uncanny. Hyuk-jae let the younger man lead him out, smiling at the clerk. The crowd pressed them for their names, but Nagisa pushed him on before the guitar player could say anything. He wondered, idly, if they ought to have given out the name of the club. Couldn't they have strummed up some business?

Pun intended.

Before he had a chance to mention his hilarious thought, Nagisa pushed him along, heading down the sidewalk. Once they were a bit away from the group of people, he mentioned that Hyuk-jae had seemed happy while playing. The taller young man wasn't sure about it being beautiful, but Nagisa seemed prone to exaggeration and showmanship. He let it slide. If anything, the piano performance was really what had sold them. Nagisa was very talented! It must have been quite an experience, growing up with musical parents. Hyuk-jae assumed Nagisa's parents liked him, that he'd learned from his father... had he missed something, just now? Nagisa was asking him a question.

"Hmm?" Hyuk-jae turned orange eyes on Nagisa for a moment. "Oh. Yeah, it's been about two years." Stretching, he pulled his arms up over his head. Resting his left hand along the elbow of the opposite arm, he tugged a little. The bones in his shoulders clicked and Hyuk-jae let out a relieved sigh. Sometimes his shoulders ached, likely from carrying so many papers for so long. "We had a neighbor that taught me guitar and piano, when I was young. She was elderly. But since I left my parents I haven't had regular access to instruments." They were expensive, after all. He shrugged. "I've always loved music. I —" he laughed, blushing. "— I even used to write some. It was kind of the only thing I had to do, growing up." He wondered if his old neighbor was even still living. She had enjoyed his company, he liked to think.

His mother had done her duty by teaching him basic mathematics, writing, and reading, but she hadn't attempted to seriously educate her son. Hyuk-jae grew up spending his time playing music with the neighbor and reading whatever he could find, but not going to school. Taking his bags from Nagisa again, Hyuk-jae just shrugged. "It was fun to play again, anyway." He chewed his lower lip for a moment. Talking about music was so personal!

As they walked along, Hyuk-jae suddenly swerved a little to the right and stopped walking for a second, only to start back up after a minute pause. "Where are we going, again?" he asked, brushing hair out of his face. Perhaps Nagisa had told him where they were going and he'd missed it?
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 9, 2013 11:36:31 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 10, 2013 16:30:47 GMT -6

Nagisa grinned as he listened to Hyuk-jae talk more about himself. There was a story there, he could tell, about Hyuk-jae not living with his parents, but it wasn't the right time to ask.

"It was fun to play again, anyway."

He nodded enthusiastically. "Oh, yes! I really enjoyed that. Maybe we can talk to Madame about maybe including that we're musicians on our descriptions for the clients, maybe we'll get to play more then!"

Nagisa kept chattering away about the possibility of playing music at the club when suddenly Hyuk-jae left his side. He turned and looked quizzically at the other man, who seemed a little confused.

"Where are we going, again?"

Oh! Well. He hadn't said. Or at least, he didn't think he did. "We're going to the tailor's!" Nagisa said, hooking his arm back around Hyuk-jae's. "This tailor is the best I promise. I've been taking my clothes here for the past year, just about. It took me a couple of weeks to find a tailor I really liked when I started working at the club, but the service and quality of work here is just impeccable!"

After a few more moments of walking, Nagisa finally pointed to a small, hole-in-the-wall shop. Many people were walking past it without even looking; it looked simple, only a small wooden sign above the door that said "Keosyha Tailoring" giving any indication of what the little store was. There were a few hanging potted plants above the single window, which had the curtains drawn shut.

Nagisa tugged at Hyuk-jae's arm. "In here!"

He opened the door, which announced their arrival with the sound of a small bell. A wizened old man with thick spectacles came out of nowhere. "Ahhhh, Nagisa," he said pleasantly, his voice slightly wheezy. "Come for another alteration?" He peered up at Hyuk-jae with polite interest. "Or have you brought us a new customer?"
This user is Mod
Last edit: Oct 10, 2013 16:34:13 GMT -6
Anonymous
Oct 10, 2013 17:04:44 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 10, 2013 17:04:44 GMT -6

Oh, the tailor. Why did he need one again? Hyuk-jae had never been to a tailor. "But — I bought clothes that fit already, didn't I?" Wasn't this just spending money for the sake of it, now? He frowned, but follow Nagisa along the street.

Nagisa practically shoved him into a shop and he paused, staring. "Keosyha Tailoring" was a tiny place, and they were greeted by short, elderly man with thick glasses. "Ah — hello," he said, nervous. He shifted his weight from foot to foot, having no idea what to do. Were they leaving all his clothes there? How long would it take?

Nagisa and the old man chatted about something for a moment and Hyuk-jae blanked out, blinking again when he realized he was being spoken to. With a glance at the shorter young man, he moved over to the tailor. He reminded him of the doctor his parents had taken him to — short, elderly, white hair. It made him sharply uncomfortable and Hyuk-jae tried to quell the fluttering in his stomach. The man instructed him to hold his arms up for measuring and he did so, biting his lower lip.

The man seemed nice enough. It wasn't much help, however — Hyuk-jae flinched visibly every time he came close to him, and he was trembling as the old man measured his waist. Orange eyes darted around the room, looking for a clock. This would be over soon, right?

But no. He had to try on all the clothes and let the man touch him again, deciding what needed fixing. He ducked behind a curtain to change, straining his ears to try and catch the soft conversation Nagisa was having with the tailor. He couldn't really catch any of the words, though, just the timbre of their voices. Hyuk-jae stepped out first in the navy trousers and white shirt, brushing his hair off his face in a nervous, flitting gesture.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 10, 2013 18:17:04 GMT -6

Nagisa looked around the shop with interest as Mr. Keosyha took Hyuk-jae's measurements. The shop was a little compact, with clothes and sewing machines and pins and tape measures and mannequins everywhere. It was definitely a popular shop, but with a quaint, mom-and-pop feel.

Which, of course, is exactly what it was.

Mrs. Keosyha came out of the back room. "Father?" she said, little old lady voice filling the air. "Ah! Nagisa!" She hurried over and gave the young man a hug, the top of her bun tickling Nagisa's chin.

"Hello!" Nagisa gently extricated himself from the old lady's surprisingly vice-like grip. "I am just here with my friend, Hyuk-jae." He gestured as Hyuk-jae came out of one of the curtained-off areas, wearing the navy blue trousers and one of the white button downs. The shorter man gulped a little, unable to look away. Then he noticed Hyuk-jae's eyes darting around like he wanted to get out.

Eyebrows knitting together in concern, Nagisa approached Hyuk-jae and put a gentle hand on his arm. "Are you okay?" he asked softly as Mr. and Mrs. Keosyha talked to each other behind him, calling each other 'Mother' and 'Father'. "You look ... upset."

He paused as he looked around, then dropped his voice a little lower. "It won't be too much longer, can you stick it out? He just needs to make sure that the clothes fit to your body. They may fit, but they're made without individuals in mind so the tailor will help it fit perfectly. Like my clothes." He tried to give Hyuk-jae a reassuring smile.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 10, 2013 21:20:08 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 10, 2013 21:20:08 GMT -6

"I'm fine," said Hyuk-jae, quickly. Of course he was fine. It would be strange if he weren't fine. "I'm fine," he repeated. He was supposed to be fine. Nagisa obviously trusted these people, and he'd been right so far about almost everything. He took a steadying breath and nodded as Nagisa explained the point of a tailor. It still seemed unneccessary, but Hyuk-jae knew he needed the job. He'd do what he had to for it.

Chewing his lower lip as Nagisa tried to comfort him more, Hyuk-jae glanced at the couple, then back to the shorter young man. "Thank you," he said softly. Why was Nagisa so nice to him? It made no sense.

Stepping forward, he let the tailor touch him again, looking over the clothes. The slender young man had nothing to say and kept his eyes on the floor, following directions when given them. He changed outfits as requested, but said nothing to anyone — including Nagisa. It was a relief when they were allowed to leave, though they had to leave his purchases behind as well. They were promised the clothes would be ready the next evening, done in time for work. That evening, Hyuk-jae would just have to make do with his regular clothes, shabby as they were. As the two young men left the tailor, he visibly relaxed around the eyes, letting out a soft breath.

"I guess we'll go get my other shirt," he said. "I have a white one." It would be okay for one night. Glancing at Nagisa, Hyuk-jae indicated that he thought it would be best if he walked to pick it up from his apartment. Shaking his fluffy hair, his new friend disagreed.
"It's easier if I just come with you! I've got to look at it, anyway. We have to make sure it's presentable!" Nagisa grinned and Hyuk-jae shrugged.
"Suit yourself."

Leading the way, the taller man walked at a brisk pace, forcing Nagisa to near-trot along behind him. Dragon Flats wasn't a place to take a cab, especially not to Hyuk-jae's building. The neighborhoods changed as they got closer, buildings more run-down, obviously less affluent. Glancing behind him, Hyuk-jae walked just a little slower.
They reached a multi-story building in a state of disrepair and Hyuk-jae dug into his pocket, producing a single key. He let them in the door, stepping around a drunkard sleeping off his night in the corner.
"It's floor ten," he told Nagisa. "I hope you don't mind stairs."
The two of them climbed, not saying much. Hunching his shoulders, the former-newsie found it difficult to smile. How awkward! Reaching number 1013, he unlocked the door and stepped inside without ceremony.

A boy around Hyuk-jae's age looked up from his bowl of noodles. "Out all night?" He raised a brow and eyed Nagisa. "I hope you have your share this time."
Wordlessly, Hyuk-jae handed over a fist of yuans.
"You can't bring your work home with you," the boy said, jerking his head in Nagisa's direction.
The Firebender's reply was clipped, "I didn't." Stepping around him, Hyuk-jae headed for a closet. "Just a minute," he told Nagisa. Opening the door, he pulled a string, switching on a single lightbulb. The edges of a palette on the floor were visible, complete with shabby red blanket. The young man ducked inside while his roommate continued to stare coolly at Nagisa.

Last edit by Deleted: Oct 10, 2013 22:31:05 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 11, 2013 0:48:27 GMT -6

The climb up would be no problem, he thought; after all, he had to keep fit to maintain his boyish figure, so Nagisa exercised regularly. When they got to the room 1013 on the tenth floor, though, even Nagisa was a little winded.

"You... do this... ev... every day?" he managed, breathing heavily as Hyuk-jae opened the door and lead the way inside.

"I hope you have your share this time."

Nagisa looked at Hyuk-jae, feeling sorry and a little ... odd in his stomach. Maybe he shouldn't have pushed Hyuk-jae to spend so much today. Money clearly meant a lot here, to him, and he'd obviously not had enough in the past. fiddled with the hem of his waistcoat. What was this uncomfortable feeling in his stomach? He realised it was discomfort at the thought of putting Hyuk-jae out. He squirmed.

"You can't bring your work home with you," the boy said, jerking his head in Nagisa's direction.
The Firebender's reply was clipped, "I didn't."

Nagisa's golden gaze focused sharply on the seated young man, who quite clearly did not like Hyuk-jae's presence. He cleared his throat with feigned politeness. "Hello," he said loudly, his voice an octave lower than usual as he gave his snootiest glare to the person at the table. Eyebrow arched, he gave a stiff bow and touched the top of his head as if he had a hat on. Which, at this point, he quite regretted not having. Or a coat with coattails. He could've swept out of the room and followed Hyuk-jae with a swish of his coattails. That would've been great.

Just then, Hyuk-jae turning on a light distracted him. Forgetting about the other man in the room momentarily, Nagisa padded over to where Hyuk-jae stood... in front of a closet. On the floor were a sleeping mat and blanket. The fluffy haired young man stared for a moment before it clicked.

"W-w-w-wait a minute!" he stammered, his eyes wide. "You... you sleep here? In this?" He couldn't believe it. Nagisa spun around and glared at the young man at the table, who regarded him coolly. Or was it indifferently? No matter. Nagisa turned back and looked up at Hyuk-jae, clearly upset. "You can't sleep here! You can't stay here! This is horrible!" His voice cracked on the last syllable.

Glancing around at the closet (CLOSET!) one more time, Nagisa made a decision. He crossed his arms over his chest. "Get your things, please," he said flatly. "You're not staying here anymore."

Hyuk-jae opened his mouth to protest, but Nagisa cut him off with a soft-spoken, "Please."

He stood there, arms over his chest, as Hyuk-jae quietly gathered his things looking embarrassed (though for what Nagisa couldn't figure). Once Hyuk-jae had his things — not that it took that long — Nagisa marched toward the door and held it open. "Let's go," he said, ushering the taller man out.

As he turned to follow him out, the fellow at the table spoke up again.

"You're going to regret that."

Nagisa made a face, sticking out his tongue and tugging down his bottom eyelid. "Nyah!" he replied, and slammed the door.

Once they were walking down the stairs, Nagisa realised what he should have said: Oh yeah, well you're going to regret your FACE. Ah, l'esprit de l'escalier.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 11, 2013 2:05:17 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 11, 2013 2:05:17 GMT -6

The slender, tall young man had had odd feelings about showing Nagisa where he lived before. He hadn't been able to put his finger quite on why, but as he caught sight of his face, Hyuk-jae realized. It was because Nagisa was shocked. Horrified.

He was mortified.

"You... you sleep here? In this? This is horrible!"

Hyuk-jae stared at Nagisa for a moment, mortified. It — it wasn't that bad! Not really! It was just a small room, that was all! It wasn't like the ceiling leaked or he lived on the street. The closet was warm, dry. It had its own door, so he had privacy. The rent was cheap. Hyuk-jae had never really thought it was a bad place to lay his head. It seemed that Nagisa disagreed, however.
"It's not that bad," he tried to say to his new friend, "really. I mean it's not the worst place I ever —"

Nagisa cut him off, demanding he gather his things. With his roommate looking on expectantly, Hyuk-jae swallowed. He didn't want to fight with Nagisa in front of someone else. He didn't want to refuse to stand by him either, not after what his roommate had said. That left one option: grab his things. Silently, jaw set, Hyuk-jae packed the few things he owned: comb, bar of soap, red blanket, white shirt. One detective novel, his journal. Everything packed up quickly and neatly. Heading out, Hyuk-jae's spine stiffened at his roommate's remark.

What was worse was that he knew the boy was right. He watched them leave with dispassionate eyes, but called out to Hyuk-jae as he stepped through the door. "When it doesn't work out," he said, "you can check back."
The Firebender glanced at his roommate, wavering in the doorway for a moment. "Thanks, Minho."
"Whatever."

Hyuk-jae waited until they got downstairs to whirl around, fixing bright, angry eyes on Nagisa. "How could you do that?" he hissed. "It wasn't that bad! It's one of the nicer places I've lived in the last two years! Where am I going to go, now? Your floor?" He scrubbed a slim hand across his face. The money he'd spent today was bad enough. The visit to the tailor, that was worse. But this? "I know I don't have a lot, but spirits, Nagisa! I have a little pride, as pathetic as that may seem to you!" He shoved the door open, stepping out into the street. As Nagisa followed him, Hyuk-jae took a ragged breath. Nagisa thought he was pathetic.

"I — I just —" Glaring daggers, Hyuk-jae stopped walking. "Ordering me to do things? I'm not your pet project! I've been doing my best!" His best was nothing, obviously. Nagisa pitied him, and that — that was the basis of all this, wasn't it? Pity. Hyuk-jae hugged his parcel of belongings to his chest. "I'm sorry it's not what you expected, or up to your standards." But what was he going to do now? He couldn't just... stay with Nagisa. Was that what the other host intended?
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 11, 2013 20:49:26 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 12, 2013 14:40:02 GMT -6

W-what? Nagisa stared up at Hyuk-jae's pale face, his orange eyes flashing with rage, in utter confusion. He took an involuntary step back, startled by the outburst.

"How could you do that?" he hissed. "It wasn't that bad! It's one of the nicer places I've lived in the last two years! Where am I going to go, now? Your floor?"

"I-I-I..." Nagisa stammered, fiddling with the cufflinks on his shirtsleeves. What on earth was happening? Hyuk-jae was mad at him? Why? He was just trying to help! Did he want to sleep in someone's closet, on a thin mat with no cushioning? Did he like living with people who treated him like dirt? "I — I don't..."

"I know I don't have a lot, but spirits, Nagisa! I have a little pride, as pathetic as that may seem to you!" He shoved the door open, stepping out into the street.

Pride? What did that have to do with anything? Nagisa gaped at him as they stepped outside. He was proud to live in a closet? A closet? Why would anyone be proud of living in a closet? And why did Hyuk-jae think he thought it was pathetic?

"That's not — !"

"I — I just — Ordering me to do things? I'm not your pet project! I've been doing my best! I'm sorry it's not what you expected, or up to your standards."

"No!" The word burst out of him as he came to a halt, stamping his foot in frustration. He didn't understand this at all. Hyuk-jae thought he looked down on him?

"What is your problem?" There was a catch in his voice as Nagisa fought to keep from crying on the street in an unfamiliar part of the city. "I was trying to help."  He didn't last long, and soon the tears were falling from his wide eyes, his brows knitted together in confusion.

"It has nothing to do with being a PROJECT. Or STANDARDS. That's stupid." He balled his fists and stamped his foot again, looking away from Hyuk-jae as he blinked the tears from his eyes. "I just wanted my friend to have a nice place to live."

Nagisa pointed back up at the apartment. "Do you want to go back? Do you like living in a closet? You're proud of it?" His hand shook with frustration. "I won't stop you if you want to go back, but I thought I was helping. You don't even have pyjamas for cryin' out loud!"

The smaller young man rubbed his fist in his eye, unable to stop crying. "I- I- I- I just thought that you would like having a real bed for a change. Staying with a friend who cares about your wellbeing."

Like a kid, Nagisa dragged the sleeve of his shirt under his nose. The shirt was ruined, but at that moment he didn't really care. Hyuk-jae was mad at him for trying to be a good friend. What on earth? He looked at Hyuk-jae again, his face tear-stained and snotty. Somewhere in the back of his mind, Nagisa was a little mortified at his appearance.

"Y-y-you — you — I — " he stuttered, having difficult time putting his thoughts into cohesive sentences. "I just wanted to help you. I thought ... I just ... I thought it would be hard to live in a closet all the time."

Nagisa's voice dropped to a whisper. "I'll... I'll just go now. You don't have to come to work or anything, I'll tell Madame that I scared you away."
This user is Mod
Last edit: Oct 12, 2013 14:43:33 GMT -6