The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Stability [tag: Hangetsu]

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 6, 2013 18:21:19 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
The repairs to Air Temple Island were complete. Scribing had been (mostly) put on hold for the past six months, with the need for everyone to pitch to help repair after the Equalist attacks. While the work was hard, doing it together seemed to bring all the Acolytes closer together. New friendships were formed, and the overall atmosphere — while still one of quiet contemplation and study — felt more familial, rather than monastic.

At least, that's how Ren viewed things. While she had lived on the Island for some time before the Equalist uprising, it had always felt like a live-in religious experience. Which, in a way, it was. But there was something distinctly more comforting about being there, and not feeling quite like a guest at a really nice, monk-run hotel.

Stretching from her desk — her promotion had afforded a slight increase in creature comforts in the workplace — Ren looked down at her first scribing venture in months. The tight, neat script glistened as sunlight fell across the wet ink. She weighed down the opposite ends of the book with heavy paperweights to keep the newly inked page from fluttering in the wind and smudging, then stood, gathered her things in her satchel, and went to the docks to wait for Hangetsu's arrival.

Promptly at five-thirty, the boat from the mainland pulled to shore. Ren stood serenely on the docks, her glasses halfway down her nose, waiting for Hangetsu to disembark.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 7, 2013 13:29:52 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 7, 2013 13:29:52 GMT -6

Hangetsu had ridden the ferry to Air Temple Island dozens of times and every time it started to slow in order to dock his stomach tightened.
When his bending was taken away by Amon, Hangetsu saw the world as something cruelly twisted to a fine point and thrust into his groin by angry spirits. When the Avatar returned his bending he saw that instead he was insignificant and at the mercy of far greater forces than himself. For the past six months three women had supported him: His sister, his friend, and Ren. He was stuck with his sister for life and his friend was also his mentor so as long as his work didn't suffer and he paid for the privilege she would be around. Ren, his third pillar of stability felt more ambiguous.

Every morning Hangetsu woke and tested his bending to see if it was truly back.It was a constant fear in the back of his mind. He faced the same problem every time he met Ren. It took a bloodbender of transcendent talent to take away his bending and the Avatar to return it. Ren, on the other hand could be taken away by someone taller and better looking with less emotional baggage. He hated that faceless, superior man in his imagination more than he hated Amon and the Avatar put together.

The boat stopped and Hangetsu grew more and more uncomfortable as he looked through the people gathered to greet the travelers until he saw Ren...Ren and no handsome man by her side. He had at least one more day as the luckiest man alive and he meant to take full advantage of it.
"You would be amazed at how glad I am to see you."

Even among those in plain, simple monk robes Hangetsu felt he looked disheveled. Adhesive bandages covered small cuts on the upper-right side of his face and purple bruises were visible between those. That day's sparring session with his sister had taken an odd emotional turn when he surprised her with a three-sectional-staff Hangetsu had recovered weeks before. Apparently, her appreciation did not extend to letting him get away without a fight.
It was an odd experience being pummeled with a family heirloom.

Clad in his recently purchased, white pin-striped, zoot suit he felt like a horrible combination of over-dressed and grotesquely ugly.
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 8, 2013 0:55:29 GMT -6

Ren gave a little shriek when she saw Hangetsu, and then again when she saw his face. "What happened to you?" she demanded, her voice cracking as she swooped down and cupped Hangetsu's face in her hands. She touched the tip of her nose to his, her hazel eyes full of worry. "We'll take care of those right away, okay?"

She took a step back and looked him up and down, her face lighting in a little smile as she scrunched her nose to shift her glasses up. "I love your suit! You look so good in it." Ren gave him a massive hug, nuzzling her head into Hangetsu's neck. "How is everything?" she took his hand and led the way to the dining hall. "Have you been doing all right? Have you been sleeping okay?"

Gesturing at the Temple grounds, Ren pointed out the little improvements to the landscape and buildings. "Doesn't it look great? Even the buildings are repaired, it's like the Equalists where never here."

Then she gasped, and put a hand to her mouth. "I'm sorry!" she squeaked. "I didn't mean to bring them up."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 8, 2013 14:05:02 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 8, 2013 14:05:02 GMT -6

Ren had a way of making Hangetsu feel significant when she was around. It was the Renless times that he doubted himself so over the past six months he made an effort to spend less time in that state.

"What happened to you?"
Hangetsu closed his eyes for a moment and enjoyed the smell of Ren's hands as she cupped his face. Her scent reminded him of the study where he had received some of his lessons in observation and analysis from his grandmother. It was the smell of a happy memory wrapped in the prospect of a happy future.

He gestured to his face. "I have been sparring with Izumi." Even a short time without his bending had revealed how deteriorated his non-bending fighting skills had become. It was a humbling experience to be routinely beaten to the ground by his big sister.
It was a short answer but being cool and laconic was not to last when he blushed as Ren touched her nose against his.
"We'll take care of those right away, okay?"

Ren's hug and the feeling of her face against his neck gave the metalbender more than pause it stopped him completely, breathing and all. Combined with her compliment on his new suit Hangetsu could only stand there mutely in awe of the acolyte's incredible power of him.
When she asked how he was and how he was sleeping the spell was broken. They were surely not meant to be, but these questions were complex.

"Sleep...uh..." He thought of how most mornings he woke up scared but that it was a big improvement over before. "Better. I don't use as many sleep aids as I used to." He decidedly didn't mention that he still required time to sit up in bed and talk himself into getting up and facing the world.
Everything else didn't require excising bits of the truth to make them sound better. Life still had it's bright spots.
"Work is still work. Internal Affairs is still under-staffed and reviled. Tae is still Tae. I do have some wonderful news, though. I finally found it. The staff my dad pawned all those years ago. I gave it to Izumi and she paid me back by hitting me with it."

Ren's guilt-laden reaction to mentioning the Equalists as she led him through the renovations to Air Temple Island was too cute to take any offense to, but so would her punching him in the face.
"It's okay. You can make up for this grave offense by reading to me."
A large book waited in the brown cloth bag slung over Hangetsu's shoulder. He would use any excuse to get Ren to read to him from 'Principles of Bloodstain Pattern Analysis'.

"I want to hear all about your promotion. Have they finally given you your own sky bison?"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 8, 2013 16:54:32 GMT -6

"Oh, sparring." Ren breathed a huge sigh of relief. She thought it might've been a fight, possibly a work day gone wrong. She looked critically at the injuries on Hangetsu's face. "Izumi didn't go easy on you, did she?" Ren giggled a little.

She was glad to hear he was sleeping better too. When she had heard that Hangetsu was one of the five benders kidnapped and de-bended by the Equalists, her heart had just about stopped. She couldn't imagine what it would be like for him; he had his bending for his whole life, built a career around it, it was as natural to him as breathing. And not to mention, he must have felt so awful, being a police officer and being taken from his home like that. She shuddered at the thought. It was amazing that he was able to go back to work after Korra had given him his bending back. If it had been her, Ren thought that she might never go to work again.

"It's okay. You can make up for this grave offense by reading to me."

Ren laughed huskily. "Oh no, whatever shall I do. Punishment of the highest order." She squeezed Hangetsu's hand good naturedly as they reached the dining hall. "Can it wait til after dinner, though? We have a very nice vegetarian sweet-and-sour dish on the menu today! Breaded tofu, snow peas, pineapples, and rice." She was getting more used to the lack of meat.

"I want to hear all about your promotion. Have they finally given you your own sky bison?"

She laughed again and gestured for Hangetsu to sit. "No, no sky bison unfortunately!" Thank goodness I'm not on kitchen duty today, she thought absently as she watched the two Acolytes who were going around serving food. "But I'm doing a bit more work. I think my official title is 'Assistant to the Assistant of the Head Scribe' but practically it means I have a nicer desk and a little more spending money."

Ren looked up as the two Acolytes served them. "Thank you," she murmured, sliding her glasses back up her nose.

The tangy smell of the sweet-and-sour wafted up to her nose; her mouth watering, she took a deep breath. "Doesn't this smell great? The tofu isn't as good as meat, but it makes for an okay substitute."
This user is Mod
Last edit: Oct 8, 2013 16:55:32 GMT -6
Anonymous
Oct 8, 2013 23:27:38 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 8, 2013 23:27:38 GMT -6

The pre-meal prayer to the spirits had, as of late, become more of habit than a gesture of gratititude. It was difficult for Hangetsu to feel grateful toward a group of beings whom treated his life as a mere grain of sand on a vast beach.

His chopsticks lingered between the thumbs and index fingers of his joined hands for an extra moment.
Thank you, he said under his breath. While his faith in the spirits as benevolent beings was shaken he was still grateful to the three women that had supported, criticized and loved him during that trying six month period.

Ah, sweet and sour sauce. The enemy of the man in white."
Hangetsu began his pre-dining preparation by taking off his jacket and out his silver lemur-shaped cuff links before rolling up his sleeves. He was sorely tempted to take off his shirt to keep any red dots from appearing on his white suit but felt he stood out enough.
"It smells great."

While the atmosphere was friendly Hangetsu always had the feeling of being an outsider eager to defile a member of a holy order. It was hard not to feel like a slimy rock tossed into a still pond sporting a sexual attraction to an acolyte while in a temple.
He tried to concentrate on eating and not the cute way Ren's glasses would slide down her nose when she tilted her head down to take a bite.

A red drop of sauce fell to the table and for a moment Hangetsu thought that perhaps it was for the best that Ren not read to him about bloodstain analysis before eating.
"I should probably apologize for making you read me such a weird book every chance I get. Oh, hey, speaking of weird books the new Fleshbender is out. Izumi titled it: 'Defeat Of The White Peril.' I won't ruin the ending but suffice to say that there is defeating involved...and smut. Lots of smut. Or if you want something a little more sophisticated I brought some of Omoi Tenoh's recent work. "

Hangetsu indeed enjoyed listening to Ren read to him but there was also joy in watching Ren read. Her smiles, sighs and blushes defined charming as far as the white-clad policeman was concerned. It was the selfish center of the reason he brought reading material each time he met with the air acolyte.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 10, 2013 17:33:45 GMT -6

"I should probably apologize for making you read me such a weird book every chance I get. Oh, hey, speaking of weird books the new Fleshbender is out. Izumi titled it: 'Defeat Of The White Peril.' I won't ruin the ending but suffice to say that there is defeating involved...and smut. Lots of smut. Or if you want something a little more sophisticated I brought some of Omoi Tenoh's recent work. "

Ren shook her head, the ever-present stray strands of hair swinging about. "Oh, I don't think it's weird at all. It's quite fascinating, really. I never realised that blood at a crime scene could tell you so much about what transpired!" She leaned forward, punctuating her sentences with a tofu-laden set of chopsticks, completely oblivious to the correlation between the sticky red sauce on her food and the topic at hand. "I-I-I mean, I don't know if I could handle all that blood, you know, but it is clever."

She nearly choked at Hangetsu's mention of smut novels. Her cheeks flushed scarlet and she dipped her head, the loose strands of hair falling in front of her face. "Don't say that so loud," she squeaked. She quite enjoyed reading ROMANCE NOVELS — of course though, Hangetsu never called them that — and they often happened to have a bit of ... intimacy in them. Or a lot of intimacy. Either way they were ROMANCE. Gosh.

"O-Omoi Tenoh? I have enjoyed her novels greatly as of late." She figured he'd see her under-the-bed stash of books soon enough. She never quite knew what the Acolytes' stance on such a thing was; obviously relationships of an intimate nature weren't frowned upon at all, but those books tended to be a bit more... flashy.

Blushing more, Ren kept her head down but couldn't keep a smile off her face.

Eventually, they finished dinner and their dishes were cleared. A small, palette-cleansing dessert of green tea ice cream was served to them in a shallow ceramic bowl; Ren ate her portion daintily, savouring the taste. It was rare that she was able to get ice cream on her excursions out to the mainland (there was just so much else to try) and it's not like ice cream could keep in her room.

After the plates were cleared away Ren rose, motioning for Hangetsu to accompany her. The acolytes had free time after dinner (unless they were on kitchen duty, of course) and Ren often spent the time reading. The difference now would be that Hangetsu would join her.

She led the way to the Family Dormitories and showed Hangetsu into her room. The comfortable living space looked neat, but well lived-in. The bed was made, clothes put away, trash in the bin, but there were books everywhere. Many books had markers with tassels dangling halfway through the pages; still others were worn and dog-eared, bound and rebound with adhesive.

Her bed was up against the wall, which made it easier for them to double it as a couch; Ren threw all of her extra pillows on the bed and pulled Hangetsu in the room, sliding the door shut.

Flopping down on the bed, she pulled a small paper sack out from under her sleeping pillow and held out out to Hangetsu.

"Rock candy?"

This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 11, 2013 17:53:46 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 11, 2013 17:53:46 GMT -6

Ren's reaction to the word "smut" amused Hangetsu enough to the point that part of him was tempted to keep saying it to see just how red she could get. The acolyte Hangetsu had assumed was the cause of all sexual tension on Air Temple Island blushed at the word "smut". It was difficult to get through the rest of the meal without laughing but his smile refused to subside at the idea of something so absurd.

Growing up with a sometimes overbearing older sister taught Hangetsu the value of saving a quip until after a meal. It was too hard to taste the green tea ice cream with the comments on his tongue. Fortunately most of them had been forgotten by the time he reached Ren's room.
"So the Air Temple's resident sexy librarian is embarrassed by smut."
The smiling policeman then remembered that his remarks to his sister were usually ended up with him being the target of physical violence. To distract from his instantly regrettable tempting of fate Hangetsu reached for the smallest piece of rock candy.
"I have some money left over so..." his voice trailed off. It was an awkward thing bringing up physical intimacy while inside a temple. He felt wretched merely thinking about it.

The uncomfortable bender chuckled and sighed while shaking his head. "Now I'm the embarrassed one. Wonderful. Anyway, I have enough to get us a room for the night. Just throwing that suggestion out there."
Hangetsu had a back-up plan in the form of a book on blood pattern analysis that his grandmother had read to him growing up. He couldn't think of anything that killed a libido faster than that.

He moved a stack of books from Ren's bed to the floor in order to sit on the bed. It wasn't until far too late that it occurred to him he might be sending Ren the wrong message by doing so. It wasn't the act that bothered Hangetsu, it was the location. Even something beautiful as being with Ren felt wrong inside of an Air Temple.
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 11, 2013 19:32:59 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 12, 2013 15:07:56 GMT -6

"Now I'm the embarrassed one. Wonderful. Anyway, I have enough to get us a room for the night. Just throwing that suggestion out there."

Ren frowned a little. "You know, you don't have to be the one to pay all the time." She settled in to her pillows a little. "I have money too. And with my promotion I have a little more to spend." Her financial needs were taken care of mostly by the temple. The Acolytes maintained their own living quarters and, as vegetarians, maintained their own vegetable gardens so to be self-sufficient. Air Temple Island needed nothing from the mainland save what the Acolytes felt like purchasing, hence the stipends they received. Not enough to live outside the temple, but enough for small excursions and treats.

She popped another piece of candy in her mouth. "It's getting a little late though," she said speaking around the ball of candy. She never stayed the night, that was one of her self-imposed restrictions; Ren had no idea — and quite frankly, was not about to ask — if Acolytes could spend the night outside of the temple grounds. So she made it a point to always leave the hotel before nightfall.

Glancing at the clock, Ren did a few calculations. "Let's see... sunset is a little later now-a-days so I think we have maybe two hours, three at the most, before it comes. Factoring in at least twenty minutes for the ferry in one direction, we've got an hour or two to spend." Slyly, Ren bowed her head, the stray strands of hair and her glasses obscuring her expression. "Would that be enough time?" she queried softly.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 14, 2013 0:00:53 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 14, 2013 0:00:53 GMT -6

"You know, you don't have to be the one to pay all the time. I have money too. And with my promotion I have a little more to spend."
"I know, I know. It's...a stupid pride thing, I suppose. I mean, when the chance to do something amazing comes along why worry about money?"
He silently answered his own question even if it was rhetorical. He should worry because his debt to Izumi was in danger of reaching four digits.

The way Ren asked if they had enough time gave Hangetsu a rush of pride. In his weaker moments Hangetsu sometimes wondered if the physical part of their relationship was only enjoyed by one party. It was nice to see evidence that stated otherwise.
Ren's quiet calculations and question of time made Hangetsu the happiest he had been...well, since the last time this situation had presented itself.
"My mother warned me that bookish women would lead me astray but I didn't listen."

As he put his jacket back on and slung his satchel over his shoulder Hangetsu smiled and offered Ren his elbow.
"Shall we?"
As awkward as it looked with their height difference Hangetsu still loved feeling Ren on his arm. He just wasn't sure if he wanted a leisurely walk feeling like the luckiest man in Republic City or make a mad dash to the ferry. After all, the quicker to the ferry the quicker he'd feel even luckier.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 18, 2013 3:11:42 GMT -6

(ooc; I'm not sure if you wanted them stuck on the island or in the city. Let me know if you'd prefer the former and I'll edit my post)

Ren laughed huskily. "Oh, your mother was so right," she teased gently, a smile lighting her face. "Us bookish women read about all sorts of things you couldn't even imagine."

Placing her hand slightly higher than the elbow, she took Hangetsu's arm as they walked — casually, but quickly — to the docks. The sun was still high enough in the sky that she figured she could get back to the Island before nightfall. Being out after dark still worried her; she had never seen an acolyte go to the mainland for long, much less come back after the sun had set. She didn't want to jepoardise her standing with the other Acolytes, or with Master Tenzin.

The ferryman looked surprised as well to see her leaving the island so close to nightfall, but to his credit made no comment. Still, Ren blushed a dull red as they boarded, feeling her cheeks hot with embarrassment.

Winds were in their favour, it seemed, and the boat arrived on the mainland docks much more quickly than usual. They disembarked, and, after making their way through the crowded port, headed to their usual hotel.

The hotel itself wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible, either: it was decidedly average, in an average-looking neighbourhood with average safety and — most importantly — an average price. A lanky, dark-haired young man in worn-out clothes pass them on their way in, accompanied by a rough-looking older gentleman. Ren politely looked away; it wasn't her business, after all. Just like it was no one's business that she was here.

Feeling like rather conspicuous in her gold-and-scarlet robes, Ren looked down at Hangets, her glasses slipping down the bridge of her nose.

"Will you let me pay this time?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 18, 2013 14:48:51 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 18, 2013 14:48:51 GMT -6

"Oh, your mother was so right. Us bookish women read about all sorts of things you couldn't even imagine."
Hangetsu faked a heavy sigh. "I'm just another naive cop being robbed of his innocence by a seductive acolyte."
Their usual banter had to be cut short once they reached the dock. Their heavily ironic back-and-forths about corruption and mutual teasing could be taken out of context too easily. For all of his jokes about the subject there were times Hangetsu felt like an actual spiritual impediment to Ren.

During the ride to the mainland it was difficult for Hangetsu not to think about what the ferryman thought. He always imagined some withering comment on the tip of his tongue.
Further defiling our most beautiful Acolyte, eh? or Ren, this isn't what we mean when we say to be charitable.
Objectively, Hangetsu knew that the ferryman wasn't actually thinking these things but found it difficult not to dislike him for the imagined slights.

Hangetsu held onto Ren's hand tighter and looked up at the tall woman as they walked toward the motel.
"I think one of us is doomed to always stand out."
He looked up and sighed at the flickering sign that read Motel Roku. The slightly dejected policeman once more felt like he should apologize to Ren. She deserved a better place and his apartment was off limits...at least for what the activity they had planned. The one time they went upon an excursion to his apartment something was wrong. The chi was present but no bending was taking place. He couldn't be with Ren in that sense in a place where his biggest defeat and humiliation took place.
Motel Roku wasn't fancy by any means but at least there everything worked as it should as far as Hangetsu's body was concerned.

"Will you let me pay this time?"
Hangetsu froze while reaching for his wallet. It wasn't the prospect of saving some money that made him so happy it was what Ren's offer meant. One of the myriad of insecurities that plagued the metal bender was that these trips were only beneficial to him.

Blushing and an emerging smile refused to be contained while words felt like they would be imprisoned forever in his throat. He couldn't say how happy he felt but looked forward to the opportunity to display his joy.
He could only remain blushing and smiling and nod his head in the most affirmative way he could.

His eyes darted between the clerk and rooms and wondered if it would be a misuse of police property to use his metal cables to get them to their room quicker than the stairs.