The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

moving on (ling/kami)

Anonymous
Oct 2, 2013 18:40:00 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 2, 2013 18:40:00 GMT -6

Airi couldn't really believe it, her bending was back! The longest of times it felt like it was gone. Instead of the month or so it was gone, it felt like a year and after twenty years of having her bending at her disposal it just felt like too much of a drastic change. Tonight, having a drink, wasn't so much of a celebration but doing it just for the heck of it. Before the whole Equalist revolution, if you wanted to call it that, she used to be so care free. If she had been busy, she'd take a nap on the streets before going on. If she had time on her hands, she'd go out and help the homeless. After the revolution... her view on the world changed.

The golden drink in the glass swirled as she twirled the glass in circles, a happy look on her face. She almost wanted to light another flame in her hand, the millionth one that day, just to feel the warmth and watch it glow but knew that here wasn't the best place to do so. Her own room or the bakery- oh the bakery! She couldn't explain how great it felt to wake up early in the morning to heat up the oven by herself, by her own hand, just like before. She hadn't realized how much she missed it, as silly as the act was.

Lifting the drink to her mouth, she took another sip. It felt like it burned her throat going down and she knew she couldn't have too much. Her intolerance to alcohol wasn't too bad but it did make it harder to enjoy it, knowing she couldn't drink too much without getting the nasty side effects that came later. Her black clad legs hugged the stool she sat on, her arms propping her up on the bar.

"You look happy today," one of the employees mentioned.

And with a smile, she replied, "I know!"
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 2, 2013 18:57:34 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Ling needed a drink. The stiffest of stiff drinks, preferably.  Instead of work getting less hectic after Amon's defeat, it got worse. She had to officially wash her hands of all of the Triads and all of the people trying to get information on them so they could make nice with a rival group. She wasn't going to put Mei in that situation again. Ever.

Pulling up a stool next to some brown-haired girl, she signaled the barkeep, holding up her index finger. "The hardest thing you have," she said when he approached. "On the rocks."

When she got her drink she lifted her glass to the girl next to her. "For whatever the hell is making you happy, girl. May it rub off on me." Without waiting for a reply, she threw her head back and downed the amber liquid in one long gulp. It stung and made her eyes water, but in a good way. Sweet, sweet alcoholic euphoria.

She slammed the empty glass back on the counter. "Another, if you please."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 2, 2013 19:28:18 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 2, 2013 19:28:18 GMT -6

Airi's smile wavered for only a second, her attention being pulled away from her happiness and to the person that now sat next to her. Not that happiness and attention to something else couldn't co-exist but she hadn't expected anyone to sit next to her, it was surprising - that's all! "I don't think it works that way," she thoughtfully told the woman, her lips pursing and brow knitting together slightly as she tried to figure out if someone could rub off happiness like it was butter on bread. Without even another moment to spend thinking on the maybe-plausible idea, the new woman threw back her head, drinking everything down in one go.

A hand moved to her neck, wondering how that might feel. Painful, she guess. Her golden eyes returned to her own drink. Airi could only sip. Anything felt too weird and it was only done once. She had learned her lesson. Nope, wouldn't be doing that again.

Then it dawned on her. "Ooooh, you didn't mean that... literally... ha," she awkwardly added, her hand moving from her throat to her face to scratch her cheek. "Tough day, huh?" the renewed firebender asked inquisitively as she resisted the urge to lean towards the newcomer. "I'm Airi. And you...?"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 2, 2013 20:57:02 GMT -6

Ling downed her second glass and motioned for another. She could already feel the liquid-y goodness relaxing her muscles. She raised her third glass to Airi in greeting. "I'm Ling."  She took a sip of the third glass. She wasn't anywhere even close to buzzed, but she was feeling less stressed and more inclined to take her drinks slowly.

"I guess you can say I've had a tough day. More like a tough year." She shrugged. She'd been unlucky in love, swamped at work, and while home with Mei was still as wonderful as it always was, she seemed to have lost her partner in scams over at the 'Fan; extra spending cash was limited, work was stressful, and every day Ling had to fight harder and harder to keep her promise to her sister and mother to stay out of trouble.

She looked at Airi and raised and eyebrow, grinning lopsidedly. "But enough about me. You're clearly here to celebrate something. What, is it your birthday?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 2, 2013 22:07:38 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 2, 2013 22:07:38 GMT -6

Airi nodded with understanding. This year had been rough and not just for the individual and their problems. The Equalists made a mess of a lot of things. She could remember well when Tarlock's task force enforced curfews and shut down power or took over where they thought an Equalist rally might be. A big reason she remembered that was that her dad wouldn't let her go outside very often during that time. Back then she had the trouble of getting lost or repeating tasks which took up time. As benders, she could only suppose he was worried Equalists would come after her. The ironic thing was, in the end they didn't get her on the street but in her own home.

She blocked off the thought; that wasn't at all why she was here. At Ling's question, the brunette shook her head with a smile. "No, not my birthday... though now that I think of it, that's getting pretty close. Huh, I must've forgotten about it," she mused, spinning her glass again while she thought. How could she have forgotten about her own birthday? To be honest, the recent events hadn't left her with a need or want to look forward. "No, I'm just... happy I guess?"

The woman contemplated telling the stranger why she was so happy but she had no way of knowing how the woman would react. Maybe she had been an Equalist supporter or sympathizer and what Airi had gone through would just seem whiny. She mentally shook her head. Why not talk to this lady? It was a bar, for spirit's sake! They'd probably never meet again so what would be the harm in it.

"Do you read," she began, swinging her legs, "the papers? I... had been one of the few benders that the Equalist took. I had my firebending taken from me, but after the whole thing came to a close and Korra came back from the South, she returned bending to those who had it taken from them, including me." Her eyes focused on her drink and then back at Ling with a passive grin. "I'm just happy because I choose to be."

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 2, 2013 22:41:53 GMT -6

Ling laughed. "Yeah, I read the papers." Of course she read the papers. She needed to keep an eye out for potential danger for Mei, right? Not that the waterbender couldn't take care of herself, she was just... Ling felt that it was her responsibility, despite being the younger sister, to keep her family safe. Mei-zhen and their mother were gentle, loving creatures and she was the wild-child. It was more suited to her to be the protector.

"I... had been one of the few benders that the Equalist took. I had my firebending taken from me, but after the whole thing came to a close and Korra came back from the South, she returned bending to those who had it taken from them, including me."

"Well, I'll be a son of a gun," she murmured. "I'm glad to hear you got your bending back!" Ling raised her hand. "Barkeep!" she said loudly. "Another round over here, and whatever this young miss wants, on my tab." She grinned widely.

"To Airi and the return of her bending!"

She took another swig of her drink as the bartender slid her another and gave Airi whatever she had asked for. Ling wiped her mouth with the back of her hand. "I'm glad there's at least some good news in the City." She shrugged. "I've been having a hard time with people trying to get in with the Triads and — well, let me back up. I'm an investigator. People keep trying to hire my company to get dirt on the opposing Triad group for whatever Triad they want to get in with." She rolled her eyes. "As if the Triads didn't have their own ways of dealing with information leaks."

Not to mention she wouldn't get in bed with any Triad for any reason. Not after what happened to her old gang.

"But some snots won't take 'no' for an answer, so I'm thinking about hiring some extra security." Not that she had any extra money for it. Then an idea dawned on her.

"So, Airi," Ling said slowly. "Do you know how to play cards?"
This user is Mod
Last edit: Oct 3, 2013 16:16:10 GMT -6
Anonymous
Oct 2, 2013 23:00:41 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 2, 2013 23:00:41 GMT -6

Ling's response was very, very surprising. Never would she have expected that kind of reaction, but judging on the amount her bar companion had drunken it might just be the drinks talking rather than the stressed woman who walked into the bar just a few minutes ago.

"Thanks," Airi said before turning to the barkeep and asking for a glass of shochu. Now she had two glasses (or one and a half at this point) to drink - not that it wasn't unwelcome, it just meant that she would be taking her time here. Though the 'celebration' idea wasn't really needed, it was nice. She hadn't come to the bar to celebrate anything but rather to do things while she could. Not that she was going to be reckless or anything! No! She only meant to take life's pleasures as they came. Besides, her memory-retaining skills were getting better. Might as well treat herself out for something like that!

She lifted the glass to sip on her first drink some more, tempted to finish it off but quickly abandoned the idea after she took too large of a sip and her eyes began to water up. "Gah," the noise came from her throat. Yeah, better take it slowly. Still, she made her best effort to listen to Ling's problems as Ling had done for her. "That's terrible!" she exclaimed when the story was done. "You would think people would get the idea the first few times." And as childish as it sounded, she even said, "No means no!"

"I'm just a baker, but like... if someone kept asking me to make them a loaf the size of this bar and I said no, you think they'd get the clue that maybe I'm not willing to make something with so much time and effort and stuff, right?" Oof, her head began to feel light and like little bugs were tickling her skin. Or a better way to put it, when her leg would fall asleep from sitting on it too long. Was this being buzzed? But this was her first drink! Maybe... maybe some food would do her well. She asked for a bowl of nuts.

"Well enough, I suppose," she said, a few nuts in her cheeks. "I used to play with my brother and a few homeless people - uh... that's a long story, really." A sip to finish off her first drink, a few more nuts and then she asked, "Why?"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 3, 2013 16:29:18 GMT -6

Ling approached the topic slowly; Airi seemed like a sweet girl, so Ling didn't want to get her too involved with her plans.

"Well you see," she started, being careful to shade the truth just a little, "My friend and I used to go around playing cards in bars. But I haven't heard from my friend in a couple of months — I think she's busy with work or something. I used to use card playing to earn a little extra spending cash, but since she's been unavailable... well, you get the picture."

She helped herself to a small handful of bar nuts before continuing. "I could use another partner. What my friend used to do was just keep the players drinking, and I'd do the rest." Ling intentionally neglected to mention that her drinks were always watered down. She could take to a flask or something.

"It wouldn't be for long, just until I figure when my friend will be available again. We'd split the profits evenly, 50-50. What do you think?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 3, 2013 18:31:24 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 3, 2013 18:31:24 GMT -6

"Cards?" Airi mused back. She didn't see anything wrong with helping out someone. "Sure, I'm in." All she would have to do is keep people drinking? While it sounded easy, she didn't know how someone did that. Just kept ordering the drinks or dared them to drink more? Pour it down their nose? Constantly asking for more so they never ran out? She looked down at her gift-given drink. It's not like she could drink with them if she wanted to stay focused.

"But a fifty-fifty split is too generous," she told the woman. Airi had little need for money. After all, she worked in a family business that always had a long chain of customers. She didn't get paid excatly, her mom took care of the finances or Aisen would. She never needed to pay bills or keep the kitchen cupboards filled with food. Whenever she needed money, she'd just ask for it. "How about I just take twenty, you take eighty?" the brunette counter offered. Doing something like this would just be for the fun of it, not to actually make money off of it. And after hearing about Ling's problem with her own customers she figured the money would be better used there.

She reached for the nuts, downing a few before turning her attention back to Ling. "Where would we be playing?"

ooc; if you want to just skip and do the transition feel free

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 4, 2013 2:21:13 GMT -6

ooc; i'm not sure where to transition to, maybe start a new thread? i think this one has run its course, maybe. send me a PM.

Ling shook her head. "No, it should be fifty-fifty. If you can't use it yourself, maybe donate it to a charity. You'll be doing half the work when you keep the players boozed up, I just keep them distracted playing cards so they'll make wilder and wilder bets." She shrugged. Keeping the whole sum was a sure way to attract attention anyway, attention that Ling would rather not draw to herself.

She waved down the bartender and pulled out a few crisp ten-yuan bills. "And a tip for yourself, good sir," she murmured, slipping him another small sum into the palm of his hand. He nodded in acknowledgement, slipping the money into his pocket before counting out her change and handing it back.

Pulling a card that read Yao Ling, Private Detective out from her coat pocket, Ling scribbled down her home phone number. "I can't run a game tonight, I've got a client I need to meet up with. But give me a call if you're free tomorrow, just ask for me if my sister picks up the phone. I normally play at The Golden Fan Saloon. It's kind of a rough place, so leave any valuables at home, and try not to talk to too many of the male customers. Waitstaff are good souls, but some of the clientele is a bit..." Ling paused, trying to think up a tamer word than the first one she thought of.

"... rowdy." She finally finished.

Handing the card to Airi, Ling gave a little half salute. "Hope to hear from you tomorrow, girlie."

This user is Mod