The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Picking Up the Pieces [tag: zombi]

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 28, 2013 3:56:41 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Hoshi stood outside Jin Ho's door, waiting for him to respond to her gentle knock. He had sounded pretty anxious on the phone, but then again, that's how it was lately, ever since he started seeing that policeman boyfriend of his. The past few months had given her little time with Jin Ho; between his boyfriend and the tumult of Amon and his pseudo-revolution Hoshi had been the last thing on Jin Ho's mind. Or, that's how it seemed, anyway.  In his absence, she had thrown herself into working at the Lotus Café, taking on extra shifts in her mother's place. Hoshi hadn't had a day off in half a year, but since the shop was only open from seven in the morning to six in the evening, she hadn't needed to. Not that umma was wholly satisfied with the fact that Hoshi only had two hours to herself a night before going to sleep.

But she had taken the night off tonight; Jin Ho called her at the shop in the afternoon and asked for her to come over to spend some time together. Umma had let her leave early so she could shower and get ready. She had rushed the shower, leaving her hair in the soft, wavy finger curls she had worn to work so she could stop by the market and buy some ingredients for sundubu jjigae.

The basket sat heavily in the crook of her arm, and Hoshi shifted slightly to accommodate the weight. She hoped that Jin Ho was all right. She didn't like that boyfriend of his, despite never having met him. It's not jealousy! she repeated to herself for the hundredth time. It was because Jin Ho seemed more worn out by the relationship that he ought to be, not happy as he should have been. She had held her tongue — though really, what else could she do, considering she hadn't an opportunity to talk to, much less see Jin Ho lately?

When the door finally opened, she greeted her long-time friend with a warm, million-yuan smile. "Hello, sweetheart, I hope I'm not too late!"
This user is Mod
Last edit: Sept 28, 2013 4:01:21 GMT -6
Anonymous
Sept 30, 2013 22:59:16 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 30, 2013 22:59:16 GMT -6

He was exhausted. It had been going on for a while now, but Jin Ho hadn't really realized it — he'd been working a lot, spending a lot of time at his boyfriend's house, trying to keep up with things… he'd completely fallen off the face of the Earth. He hadn't been by for family dinner for months, hadn't spent time with Hoshi… he'd just been enjoying finally having a boyfriend, and hadn't realized that it was actually not a very good relationship.

His training would probably call it emotionally abusive.

The soft knock at the door would be Hoshi. Sighing a little, the now off-duty policeman straightened his grey sweater and pulled the door open. He looked a little worse for the wear, haggard around the eyes and hair a bit out of place. Usually Jin Ho was very well-groomed.

"You're not late at all," Jin Ho said warmly, pulling the door wider. "Please — come in! What's with the basket?" He hadn't meant for her to go to any trouble. Ushering his oldest friend into his apartment, the young man took the basket to the kitchen. "Sundubu jjigae?" He raised an eyebrow as he looked into the basket. "You think I need feeding?" Putting the kettle on, he went back to the living room, gesturing for Hoshi to sit.

"Sorry," Jin Ho said. "It's been a while. How are you?"
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 30, 2013 23:22:28 GMT -6

"You think I need feeding?"

"Don't you?" Hoshi asked, laughing a little as she relinquished the basket. "Even if you don't, I haven't made you something in a while. If you don't want to eat it now, you can take it with you for lunch."

"It's been a while. How are you?"

She shrugged nonchalantly as she smoothed her skirt and settled onto her usual spot on the couch, glancing over the unusually messy living room. "As well as one can be, I suppose, considering the past few months. The shop's been getting a lot of customers lately, so I've been picking up a few extra shifts." Hoshi looked away briefly, neglecting to mention that 'a few' actually meant 'a lot'. "I've been training this girl to help out a few days a week, but she's being home-schooled so she can't make it every day."

Leaning back, the earthbender crossed her legs at the ankles and set her hands in her lap. "What about you, darling?" she asked, unable to keep the concern from her voice. "How is everything?" She looked up at him, tilting her head to the side, her eyebrows furrowed. "Have you been sleeping all right?"

She couldn't help but notice his disheveled appearance. His long black hair, normally kept in a tight, neat braid down his back, was frazzled with hair out of place. His face looked tired, his eyes dark from fatigue and/or lack of sleep. Hoshi bit the inside of her cheek to keep from asking if it was his new boyfriend's fault.

Instead, she smiled a little, her eyes crinkling in the corners. "I missed you."
This user is Mod
Last edit: Oct 1, 2013 16:25:58 GMT -6
Anonymous
Oct 1, 2013 16:21:33 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 1, 2013 16:21:33 GMT -6

Jin Ho noted his friend looking at his apartment, and blushed a little. "I know the place is a wreck," he said gently. "I sort of… got really busy. I was working extra, you know, with.. everything that was going on. And I didn't spend a lot of time here." Obviously he was implying that he'd been staying at his boyfriend's constantly, but it was too embarrassing to say.

He nodded as Hoshi said she'd picked up more time at work. "I'm glad to hear you've hired help," the young man said. "I think you could certainly use it. Every time I've come by, the cafe has been very busy." As she asked how he'd been sleeping, Jin Ho shrugged one shoulder. "I've been sleeping as much as I can." He knew she was asking about the nightmares more than anything, but they were a constant in his life. They were neither better nor worse. Was it worth mentioning?

Standing, the young man went back to the kitchen and prepared them both cups of tea. "I broke up with him," he said, as casually as possible, "I know you're wondering." He knew Hoshi hadn't really approved of his relationship. Of course, now that he had broken up with him, Jin Ho couldn't say he blamed her. One of his co-workers had gently asked him about things, and after a meeting with a counselor for the police force, Jin Ho felt like he finally had his head on straight.

Well, at least a little closer to straight. It was a start. Bringing tea in to Hoshi, he sat down carefully. "I missed you too," he said. "I'm sorry I haven't seen much of you lately."

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 1, 2013 16:52:04 GMT -6

Hoshi took the proffered cup and cradled it gingerly in her hands. So Jin Ho and that guy broke up; it was sudden and a little unexpected, but not wholly surprising. She stared at the steaming tea for a few moments before looking back up at her friend. "I... I am sorry to hear it," she said. And she really was sorry. As much as she hadn't liked the man, she knew that Jin Ho had been shy about being open about his sexuality, and she had hoped the first venture into a relationship would be successful.

At the same time, though, she was relieved. Maybe he would find someone new that would be healthier and better for him.

"I've missed you too. I'm sorry I haven't seen much of you lately."

She smiled a little. "I understand, sweetheart. You've been preoccupied lately. It's okay." She took a sip of her tea, relishing in the taste. Jin Ho was one of the few people outside her immediate family she could trust to make a proper cup of tea. "Do you have work tomorrow?" she asked, gesturing to the kitchen with her head. "I can get started on the jjigae and we can talk about whatever you want until the sun comes up if you don't. Or I could start on the jjigae anyway and pack you a lunch when it's done."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 2, 2013 0:21:29 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 2, 2013 0:21:29 GMT -6

"Don't be." Jin Ho leaned back in his seat, sighing. "Officer Chang approached me about it. He… wasn't good for me. I guess it was obvious. I talked to the Force's counselor and… it helped. I guess I needed a really outside perspective." It was embarrassing to admit that he'd even been caught up in such a situation, truthfully. All the red flags were there. He should've known better.

As she asked if he worked, he shook his head. "I've actually been given a week's leave. Counselor's suggestion." It was amazing it had been approved, but he next to never took time off. No one could begrudge him one week of vacation, and he did need the rest. He really needed a trip to a hot springs and an entire bottle of… something. Maybe the wine in the kitchen? For once in his life, Jin Ho felt like getting very, very drunk.

Of course, Hoshi would probably not approve. "Go ahead," he said. "It's been too long since I had your cooking. I'd love it if you'd stay." He got up, going to the kitchen and, without a word, opening the wine. Glancing up at her, he smiled. "And don't say anything. I still don't drink that much. I just thought I might want it today." And he was right.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 2, 2013 0:45:24 GMT -6

She blinked in surprise. She hadn't realised things were bad enough for his superiors to notice, much less give him time off. But, well, if he had time off then all the better.

Standing from the couch, Hoshi rolled up her sleeves and smiled. "Then sundubu jjigae coming right up!" She made her way to the kitchen as Jin Ho took a bottle of wine out. Her smile grew wider. "Well, all right," she conceded. "Maybe I'll have a little glass, too. Just a little one." 

Hoshi worked quickly, her practised hands cutting vegetables and tofu deftly. It had been a long time since she had cooked for Jin Ho, and she was glad to be back at it. Soon, the stock was bubbling merrily on the stove and Hoshi opened a window. The rest of the ingredients were already cut up and just waiting for the stock. She went back into the kitchen, swirling the wine Jin Ho handed to her. Leaning up against the wall, she took a small sip before glancing at her friend.

"Are you okay, sweetheart?" she asked, biting her lower lip. "I know you said you talked to the counsellor, but..." she trailed off and looked at the ground. What could she say? But I'm still worried you're not dealing with it? That didn't sound like something that would go over well.

"But maybe it would help to talk to a close friend, too," she said instead. "Of course, if you don't want to talk, that's okay too!" She crossed over to Jin Ho and slipped her free hand around his waist, looking up at him. "I just want to be here for you, whatever you need." She smiled.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 2, 2013 18:19:47 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 2, 2013 18:19:47 GMT -6

Passing her a glass, Jin Ho sat down at his kitchen table, letting out a sigh. "I haven't been home for dinner in a while," he admitted. "It's really nice to have you here." He watched her cut the vegetables, appreciating the domesticity of it. Somehow when Hoshi was around, everything was just… better.

"I know, you think I probably need therapy, right?" Jin Ho rubbed his temples. "I probably do. I don't know. I… I have no idea how it happened. I mean, I have training. I know the signs." He wrapped his fingers around his thick braid of glossy hair, toying with it a bit anxiously. "I should've seen it coming, I guess. I can't believe how… stupid I was, how blind."

Policemen were trained in abuse. They were supposed to be able to recognize emotional and physical abuse when they saw it. He'd been through countless classes about relationships, but it was always about women, and how men treated women. He'd never in his wildest dreams imagined another police officer, another male police officer, would turn out to be such a manipulative and controlling boyfriend. He hadn't seen his family in months! Work was an easy excuse, but it had slowly become not really about work but about pleasing his boyfriend. It wasn't right.

He'd become obviously tired, and when his co-worker had gently approached him, at first it was all about how he was sleeping. Everything had ended up just… pouring out, an embarrassing confession. When Hoshi touched his wrist, Jin Ho smiled at her. "It's okay. I'm all right. I mean — it's over, and it's not like anything terrible happened. I just feel stupid."

So, so, so stupid.

But it was over. Over and done with. He patted Hoshi's hand. "I'd rather talk about you," he said. "I missed you. I'm so glad you're here." Jin Ho smiled a warmer, happier smile and shoved his hair away from his hands. Hopefully he could convince her to stay all night. He always slept better when Hoshi was there, curled up in his bed just like when they were kids. She was perfect and warm and soft and comforting, no matter what happened. She was always there for him.

Maybe that was what love was actually like.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 2, 2013 18:43:04 GMT -6

Hoshi frowned. "I don't think it's stupid, sweetheart. Maybe it was just hard to see the signs because you cared for him."  Not that she was any expert on the subject, though one of the magazines she subscribed to had an article about how people in bad relationships often had blinkers on because of their care for the other person, justifying the issues with "Well no, they LOVE me so it must be something wrong with ME."

But whatever the case, she was very glad that it was something Jin Ho got out of. The article also said it was hard for people to leave sometimes, so she was glad he did.

"I'd rather talk about you," he said. "I missed you. I'm so glad you're here."

She laughed a little. "There's really nothing much going on, I promise. I have been incredibly busy the past few months with the shop. I think I am going to make a new tea blend for the summer! A green tea, with hints of melon. I think I'll serve it iced for the hotter parts of the summer. What do you think?"

Pausing, Hoshi looked up and leaned up on tip-toe to give Jin Ho a peck on the cheek. "I missed you too, honey. I'm glad you invited me over."

She moved a way from Jin Ho a bit and sipped her wine, glancing over at the bubbling jjigae stock. "I think that'll be ready for the other ingredients soon," she murmured, half to herself.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 2, 2013 22:23:09 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 2, 2013 22:23:09 GMT -6

Sighing, Jin Ho shrugged. "I don't know," he said to Hoshi. "We're taught to recognize it. And I wasn't — I wasn't in love with him. There's no way." It was the sex. He'd been infatuated with the man and deliriously happy about finally experiencing something he'd gone so long only imagining. "It was just… nice to be wanted, you know? And I didn't want to lose that feeling." He looked away from his oldest friend, rubbing the back of his neck. "That sounds stupid, doesn't it?"

He was relieved when she allowed him to change the subject. "Green tea with melon?" Jin Ho made a face. "You know I prefer lychee." Jin Ho hated melon, and was surprised Hoshi had asked. "But, you know — lots of people like melon stuff. I'm sure it would prove popular." He just… loved lychee! Especially in the summer.

"Hoshi?" Jin Ho watched her check the stove. "Do you… think you could stay the night?" He set down his now-empty wine glass. "I'm not sure I can sleep. And I know, you're not a blanket. It's just — please?"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 2, 2013 22:57:28 GMT -6

"No, I don't think it sounds stupid at all," murmured Hoshi. She wasn't sure if Jin Ho heard her.

She laughed a little when Jin Ho pulled a face at her melon tea idea; she should've expected as much! She reached up and tweaked his nose gently. "Oh you. I'll make a lychee blend, too. Just for you, silly goose."

When Jin Ho asked her to stay the night, she couldn't help but smile widely. "Of course! I would love to!" She gave him a quick hug, then went into the kitchen to add the rest of the ingredients to the jjigae, adding lots and lots of pepper for Jin Ho's tastebuds. Of course she would stay; she had hoped he'd ask, but didn't want to push him to do something he didn't want to do.

After a little while longer, the jjigae was ready. Hoshi took out some large bowls from the cabinet and filled them with jjigae. She cracked an egg into her bowl, and placed a whole egg into Jin Ho's. They had set the table while waiting so all that was left was grabbing the jar of kimchi.

Once they were seated at the table, Hoshi reached across and patted Jin Ho's hand. "What would you like to do tonight, sweetheart? Listen to the radio? Read a book?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 3, 2013 0:00:16 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 3, 2013 0:00:16 GMT -6

Accepting his bowl of jjigae, Jin Ho eagerly pushed his egg around. It looked hot and spicy, just the way he liked it.

Jin Ho tasted his soup and closed his eyes, it tasted so good. It was, in fact, perfect. "God. This is so good." He was quiet for a while, eating the soup and enjoying the feeling of Hoshi sitting next to him. When he patted his hand and asked what he'd like to do, Jin Ho shrugged.

"I thought we might listen to a radio play," he said. "And maybe… you can brush my hair?" He glanced at her, green eyes brimming with hope. Jin Ho loved having his hair played with, and he'd been enjoying a romantic radio play over the past few months. Well, he had enjoyed it secretly because it wasn't a very manly thing to admit to — but the story was just perfect. A woman, a soldier, a world-wide war… he was hooked on it. "Have you been listening to While We're Far Apart?" Surely she had been. He and Hoshi had always enjoyed romances together.

Finishing his soup quickly, Jin Ho stood to refill his wine glass and put his bowl in the sink. The two of them retired to the living room, where Jin Ho switched on the radio and got out a spare blanket for Hoshi. He wrapped up in an old sage green throw himself, waiting for the show to come on. "It's so good," he said. "Zheng never was interest so I had to listen all by myself." He tucked his feet up under him.
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 3, 2013 0:08:57 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 3, 2013 17:42:07 GMT -6

"Of course I've been listening!" Hoshi smiled, taking a huge bite of her soup. It was one of the few comforts she allowed herself the past little while, being so busy with the shop. The jjigae had turned out really well, and her mouth burned in a pleasant way as she ate. It was so nice to eat with Jin Ho again. They didn't talk much during dinner, each savouring their meal, but that was okay. She liked the easy, comfortable silence they had together.

Once they finished eating, Jin Ho put his dishes in the sink and refilled his wine glass. Hoshi followed suit, running some water over the dishes so nothing would stick or get crusty. While Jin Ho grabbed blankets, Hoshi went to his bathroom and grabbed his hairbrush.

When she returned to the living room, Jin Ho had everything ready; blankets out, radio on. She moved behind him and began to undo his braid. "It's a shame he didn't want to listen," said Hoshi, refraining from tutting in disapproval. "It's such a compelling story."  With long, careful strokes she brushed Jin Ho's long, inky-black hair.

The show was still on commercial, so she kept talking. "Who is your favourite character so far? I think I like the soldier best."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 7, 2013 23:29:38 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 7, 2013 23:29:38 GMT -6

As Hoshi said it was a shame his now ex- boyfriend hadn't enjoyed the radio drama, Jin Ho nodded. "I know!" He waved a hand. "But, you know — it's not very manly, I guess. It's a complete romance." He just had a thing for romances. Hoshi un-picked his braid, fingers snagging on a few tangles. At first he winced with the brushing; his hair needed some care. "It needs oil, right?" he asked. "Let me grab it before the show comes on." He got up quickly, slipping into the bedroom to grab the bottle. It smelled like sandalwood and Jin Ho was surprised to realize he didn't know when the last time he'd oiled his hair was.

That said enough about the relationship all on its own. Returning to Hoshi, he sat back down and wrapped up in the blanket as a commercial played. His oldest friend asked about his favorite character, confessing hers to be the solider. What a shock!

"Oh, really?" He was surprised. Jin Ho popped his eyes open. "I like Amaterasu best. I'm surprised you don't! She's a strong, opinionated lady who's doing her best in a time of serious trouble — just like you." He laughed. "The way she's planted the garden and gone to work in a factory? She's definitely resourceful." Stretching, Jin Ho shifted to lean his head in Hoshi's lap. "Do you think the soldier is really dead?"

It was so nice, spending time with her like this. It had been far too long. They had a few minutes before the show aired.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 8, 2013 2:07:26 GMT -6

Hoshi smiled a little. The soldier reminded her of Jin Ho — a strong man with a sense of honour and duty, law abiding, do-gooder.

Working the oil into Jin Ho's hair, she nodded her head. "I think he's alive! I mean, she's so certain of it, and sometimes a lady's intuition is better than anything. That's her man out there, you know?" Subconsciously, she tutted in disapproval as her hands it a particularly dry patch of hair. "I would be so devastated if he wasn't alive after all! Wouldn't you?"

The smell of sandalwood comforted Hoshi; it felt like a signal that everything was back as it should be, that all was right in the world. Well, her world at least. She hoped that if Jin Ho found another boyfriend that he would be much better than this last one. Someone he could enjoy radio romances with, someone who would rub oil into his hair and comb it through... She smiled a little wistfully. That might put her out of a little role, perhaps, but if it meant that Jin Ho was finally in a happy, loving relationship, then she would learn to get along without it.

"I think she's right on the money," she repeated, running the comb slowly through the long hair and working carefully to untangle any snags. "Do you think she'll be able to convince people to look for him? I hope she can. Or if she can't that she'll raise a stink about it. I would if I were her."

This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 8, 2013 18:25:19 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 8, 2013 18:25:19 GMT -6

Jin Ho closed his eyes as Hoshi combed his hair. The smell of the oil was comforting and he couldn't lie — it felt amazing. His hair was thick and heavy and in desperate need of a little love. What could be better than listening to a radio romance with his best friend?

"I think he's alive, for sure!" he said. "I can't imagine they'd let him die. This is supposed to be a romance." Though, to be fair, the show had already had its bit of tragedy. One of the main character's friends had already been killed in a bombing! "I'm sure they'll have him come home." She was right on the money about feminine intuition — Jin Ho knew that from experience. "I hope she mounts a huge campaign."

The show came on, first with dramatic music and opening credits. Cabbage Corps was a sponsor of the drama, the radio wanted them to know, and their contribution was greatly appreciated! The policeman opened his eyes, excited. As the show came on, he snuggled into his blanket. The protagonist started by expounding on her situation — how much time had passed, her refusal to accept the news, her need to write letters. Jin Ho gripped the blanket as she spoke about her days at the factory, lifeless with the knowledge.

He couldn't imagine losing someone he truly loved. How awful it would be! Jin Ho hadn't really experienced death other than his dog, Sweeper. That alone was hard enough. How much worse would it be to lose one's fiancé?

Not that he'd ever had a fiancé. Chewing his lower lip, Jin Ho leaned back against Hoshi as the show hit a commercial break. "It's getting heavy, huh?" he said. "Hard to think about how painful it must be. I bet it hits home for a lot of older listeners. Don't you?"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 8, 2013 22:03:24 GMT -6

Hoshi sniffled as the commercial came on, reaching into her skirt pocket to dab at her eyes carefully. It was just so heart wrenching! That poor woman, her true love lost in war-torn lands... she sniffed again, and smiled a watery smile at Jin Ho.

"I'm sure it does," she agreed. And I'm worried that before long, it'll hit home for everyone else. She didn't say it out loud, but she figured that Jin Ho probably wouldn't like to be reminded of the immense job he'd have to be a part of, trying to quell this Equalist rebellion; and the Galgori! Hoshi had thought they were a myth. But they had yet to live up to their mythical status. It seemed that it was business as usual despite the leadership switch (not that 'usual business' with the Equalists was good, mind) and for that, at least, Hoshi was grateful.

A commercial for Varri-dye came on, the newest product of the Varri-Manageable Hair Line. Hoshi looked intrigued. "Hair dye?" she murmured. "How is that different from henna? Not that I would change my hair colour, or anything," she added hastily. She wasn't interested in that at all. "It's just strange that this would be a marketable product when there is already henna." It seems that whoever this 'Varrick' was, of Varric Global Industries, they didn't really care what they made as long as it turned a profit. Which, she figured, was probably how it was quickly replacing the failing Future Industries as the number one innovator in Republic City. Signs for Varri-whatever products had been popping up all over her usual shopping haunts, advertisements were in her magazines, and now on the radio shows. She sighed.

The show resumed, and Hoshi lapsed into silence, her fingers giving Jin Ho's scalp a light massage.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 16, 2013 18:51:18 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 16, 2013 18:51:18 GMT -6

Jin Ho sighed. "I hope we don't end up in a huge, world-wide war ourselves," he mused. Surely this anti-bender sentiment wouldn't go that far. Even so, he actually wasn't sure of how evenly the population was split. Who was the majority?

And should the majority even rule, anyway? He rubbed his temples. It was just a lot to think about, and he'd been thinking about it a lot recently.

"Hair dye? How is that different from henna? Not that I would change my hair colour, or anything. "It's just strange that this would be a marketable product when there is already henna."

"I don't know!" Jin Ho thought henna was hair dye. It was a dye you could use on hair. Wasn't that what a person would call it? He shrugged, his own hair slipping through Hoshi's fingers. Jin Ho's hair was dark, inky black, thick as a man's wrist when braided. He had never considered changing its color. "I don't personally have much interest in that stuff," he admitted. He wasn't very vain, only a little.

Sighing with happiness when Hoshi massaged his head, Jin Ho paid close attention to the radio. The show was nearly over and it sounded like it would be leaving them on a suspenseful note. Gosh, they'd have to wait a whole week for more! He gasped at the appropriate moment and then groaned when the ending theme music began to play. "Can you believe it?" he said, reaching behind him to pull his hair over his shoulder and begin working it into a plain braid. "I always wish it would go on! They sure end it on cliff-hangers." He smiled at Hoshi. His hair felt silky again, untangled and smooth.

"Thanks," he said, tying the end of the braid off. "I don't know how I managed without you. I'm so sorry I haven't seen you in a while." Stretching muscular arms up, Jin Ho glanced at Hoshi again. "Plans for the rest of your night? Or can I beg you to stay with me?"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 23, 2013 3:46:32 GMT -6

Hoshi nodded in agreement. "Cliffhangers are the best and worst things about these programs!" She put a hand over her heart. It's just so . agitating sometimes, having to wait for the next episode to know what happens next!"

She waved away Jin Ho's thanks and apology. "I understand," she said with a gentle smile. "Things have been rough, and you've been preoccupied. What's done is done, let's just put it behind us, okay?"

"Plans for the rest of your night? Or can I beg you to stay with me?"

"Oh, you" The sound of Hoshi's soft laughter filled the apartment. "I don't have any plans, no. But I should call Umma, I had the morning shift tomorrow."

Excusing herself, the small woman made her way to Jin Ho's telephone. Once the operator connected her to her mother's house, she spoke softly into the receiver only to be answered back with loud, adamant chattering. Wincing, Hoshi held the phone away from her ear; there was no doubt Jin Ho could hear her mother on the other end, even if the words were unclear.

After she finally got a word in edgewise, Hoshi hung up, smiling a little sheepishly at her childhood friend. "As you could probably hear, umma is perfectly fine with covering my shift tomorrow morning, so I'm free tonight." Her smile grew wider. "Aren't you lucky," she teased good-naturedly.

"How tired are you, sweetheart?" Hoshi didn't feel tired herself, but she realised she could probably use the rest. She made sure to get a guaranteed eight hours of sleep a night, but she still worked really hard and got tired.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 29, 2013 9:06:21 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 29, 2013 9:06:21 GMT -6

"Oh, I like it," Jin Ho disagreed, "I think it's fun to have something to look forward to." The installments were fun to him, like a little present every week. He didn't mind the cliffhangers. As his oldest friend got up to call her mother, Jin Ho ran a hand over his hair. It felt much, much better.

He couldn't hold back a laugh as Mrs. Jeon insisted quite loudly over the telephone that of course Hoshi should stay with him. Their parents had been angling for marriage since their birth, so what surprise was it? Laughing felt good to him, as if he hadn't done it in a while. As Hoshi returned, Jin Ho valiantly attempted to quell his mirth but was a bit unsuccessful.

"Sorry —" he waved a hand. "I just — I forgot how your mom is, somehow." How he could've forgotten that was a mystery. Likely it was because he hadn't been by the tea shop in a while, he realized. His life had been totally disrupted by his boyfriend! The more he saw it, the more it upset him. He'd thought he was good at balancing! Obviously not.

When Hoshi asked if he were tired, he just shrugged. "I don't know. I probably need the sleep, but I don't really feel very tired." He glanced at her. "Are you?" As his gaze traveled over the living room, the mess began to leap out at him. Getting up, Jin Ho moved empty mugs to the kitchen sink and picked up a dirty shirt or two.

"My place is a mess." He sounded surprised. Ugh, a mess. Kind of like his life.