The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Inns, Restaurants and Food Stalls III

Anonymous
Feb 20, 2013 22:46:39 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Feb 20, 2013 22:46:39 GMT -6

The Lotus Café
tag: kami

The woman's happy response warmed Shtiya's heart a little. She was just so nice! He could hardly believe his luck, and he silently thanked the Spirits for leading him to the Lotus Cafe. As she turned on some music, contemporary soft jazz, he smiled. Music was always soothing. For a moment he thought longingly of his guitar, tucked away in his room at the Apothecary, but he forgot about it once the woman began singing. She had a glorious voice.

As she answered his question about being from the city, the healer noted a pause when it came to a certain young man. Ah, perhaps this was not-my-boyfriend? Shtiya noticed her soft smile when she spoke about him and the lingering way his name slipped out of her mouth.

This 'Jin Ho' was definitely not-her-boyfriend. The Waterbender nodded, showing that he was listening, and then laughed when she asked him about his own past.

"Are you from the city as well?"

"M-me?" Shtiya shook his head. "Oh, n-n-n-no. I'm f-—--rom the North Pole." He gestured at his clothing, obviously not quite up to the same style as many Republic City natives. "C-can't you t-t-t-tell?" There was a sparkle to those blue eyes, though, showing good humour. He didn't mind looking like he didn't quite belong yet. It had only been about two years since he'd moved to the City. It was still quite new to him! He spent most of his time working, and little time exploring. There was so much to see. "I m-moved here to p-p-p-p-—" he closed his eyes for a moment, frustrated. The word would come out if he gave himself some time.

"To practice medicine," he said decisively, a moment later. "Both herbal and bending types." As he spoke, his convictions steadied his words. "I believe that a blending of practices will provide the safest and most effective medical care to the greatest number of people and I think it's important not to languish in the past, so I've been spending time learning everything I can from everyone I can —" he broke off, blushing. She won't care about that, stupid! he chided himself. There was no reason to bore the poor woman with his medical obsessions. Anyway, it didn't mean much to someone outside the trade.

"S-s-sorry," the Waterbender allowed, "I get exc-——-ited." He smiled and rubbed at one delicate wrist.
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Feb 24, 2013 4:49:42 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
The Lotus Café
tag: zombi

Hoshi waved her hands. "No, no! Please, continue — it's good to talk about things you're passionate about." She spoke from experience,she thought, considering how she had practically frothed at the mouth when Sohee's father began prattling on about probending. "I think it's great that you're following your calling." She smiled. It must be nice to have a calling. Hoshi didn't think she had one. Running the shop was just what she was supposed to do because... well, that's what was expected of her. True, she very much enjoyed serving tea and the tea ceremonies, but ... was that really a calling? She didn't think so. It didn't pull at her inexorably, like she imagined a calling must do.

"You must get this all the time," she started, "but how do you like the City in comparison?" Hoshi paused, then stood to refresh their tea, waving her hand to excuse herself. The counter wasn't too far from where they were sitting, so she continued. "I've never been outside Republic City; actually, I've never even visited Air Temple Island! I can't imagine how strange we must look to people from other places."

Republic City, she knew, was considered the cultural hub of the main continent, perhaps even the entire world. The Satomobile (of course) originated here, as did the more commoner-friendly Cabbage Corps; Probending was created here too, and was a melting pot of all the nations, stemming back from when the United Republic had once been Fire Nation colonies. How odd it must look, to have people of all nationalities living in the same space! Everyone added a little to the decor of the city; it must be so strange to someone from a place with only one influence.

Returning with the tea pot, she refilled their cups. "Are you here with your family?" she asked mildly. She thought that she might like to meet them, if he was! Shtiya was such a nice young man, it would be good to meet the people — she assumed — who raised him to be so.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Feb 27, 2013 23:57:37 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Feb 27, 2013 23:57:37 GMT -6

The Lotus Café

Shtiya smiled in a mild manner. "I believe it's important to do something that makes you happy," he said. That was where he differed greatly from his father — his refusal to agree to an arranged marriage had been a large part of their falling out, secondary to his sexuality. Shtiya's father believed people should live the lives they were supposed to live and fall into rigid and traditional roles. Any deviation was seen as undesirable and not to be tolerated.

"You must get this all the time, but how do you like the City in comparison?"

Shtiya shrugged. "It's m-m-m-more diverse, and I l-like that," he said honestly, "b-but I do miss s-—--ome things about home." He smiled. He missed the cold weather and the normal, Water Tribe food. Well, he missed not having to always cook for himself, anyway. "I l-like living alone, though," he said after a few moments, eyes sparkling. "I n-n-n-never had my own s-——-pace before, and it's n-nice to only answer to m-myself and be sur-—-rounded with my own things." He cherished his little rooms in the back of The Apothecary, neat and tidy and smelling of freshly dried herbs.

The apartment in the back was really the apartment upstairs — the entrance was tucked into the back hallway of The Apothecary. The upstairs was a small apartment with a living room and kitchen combined, one small bedroom, and one bathroom. It was the perfect size for a petite young man living all alone. Even his meager possessions filled it up just fine! The bedroom always smelled like fresh lavender and Shtiya's face was serene just thinking about his beloved home.

"Are you here with your family?"

The petite Waterbender almost choked on his tea. Talk about disturbing his serenity! "Ah — no," he said with conviction, "I'm n-not here with anyone. I'm alone." He smiled and shrugged. "My f-family and I don't get along," he said honestly. "My..... father d-disagrees with my lifestyle." It was the politest thing to say. After all, he wasn't about to blurt out to this woman that he liked boys and had been kicked out over it. That was over-sharing! Shtiya looked at the phonograph.

"I love music," he said fervently, a moment later. He played guitar himself, and never stuttered when singing. Not that he'd been performing anywhere lately! He mostly played for himself as a soothing relaxation... but he had played with friends before, for fun. He missed it. Hoshi seemed liked she enjoyed music, too.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Feb 28, 2013 5:04:10 GMT -6

The Lotus Café

Well, that shut her up. Hoshi's mouth snapped shut, and she felt a heat creeping up her neck and onto her cheeks. Obviously, she had touched on something painful. Good job, Hoshi. Brilliant start! she rebuked herself in silent sarcasm. "I'm so sorry to bring it up," she apologised.

But what he said was incomprehensible. How could a family not get along? Who would you have without family? The answer for Shtiya was a very apparent 'no one', but it boggled Hoshi's mind. How could a family disagree over something so much that they parted ways? No matter how much Umma grated on her, or vice versa, Hoshi could never imagine either of them abandoning the other. This "lifestyle" had to be liking boys, right? Unless she misinterpreted the glance. But that made even less sense to her. Still, far be it from her to say anything about it. If she recalled correctly, Jin Ho hadn't said anything to his family — the thought of being alienated, like Shtiya had, was probably what stopped him. If she was right about Shtiya, of course. Not that there was any way to bring up that subject.

After a brief (and awkward on her end) pause, Shtiya spoke again, looking to the phonograph.

I love music.

"Me too," Hoshi said quickly, eager to get the conversation back onto pleasant terms and bury her apparent faux pas. "Lounge jazz is by far my favourite, though big-band music is always good for a pick-me-up when you're feeling blue." Her words tumbled out rapidly, one after another, as she tried to cover her embarrassment. "I tend to prefer things with words though, because I like to sing along. Not well, I don't think, but it's good enough for me." She laughed, normally enough, but it seemed loud to her own ears.

Realising she was rambling, the small woman took a deep breath to steady herself before talking again, this time at a normal pace.

"Do you play an instrument?" she asked curiously. "I've always wanted to try playing the violin, but between earthbending lessons, schooling, and learning to take over the shop, there was just no time. I think it's too late to learn now, but Jin Ho says —" Hoshi cut herself off. She was thinking about him too much, she realised, aware of the knot of anxiety starting to ball up in her stomach. "Anyway, I never learned anything, myself. It would be wonderful to make beautiful music, though!"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Feb 28, 2013 23:14:28 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Feb 28, 2013 23:14:28 GMT -6

The Lotus Café

"D-don't feel badly," Shtiya said kindly, putting a hand on one of hers. "M-my f-—-amily and I have been this w-way a long time. It's okay." He smiled. The young man knew that not all families were like his. He knew that not every parent would have slapped their son for kissing another boy, just as he knew that many people these days rejected arranged marriage. He wasn't in the minority with his opinions, not really, even if he felt that way some times. Hoshi's discomfort was clear. Perhaps she'd never been faced with such a situation? Her blushing and rambling and eagerness to change the subject probably meant that she herself hailed from a very happy family. That was wonderful for her, and he wanted to soothe her. She was going on now about music, so the Waterbender nodded as appropriate.

"Do you play an instrument?" she asked curiously.

"Hm?" Shtiya looked up from his teacup. "Oh! Y-yes! I play guitar." He grinned. "N-not for anyone but myself, these days." He used to play for friends all the time, when he was much younger. In his teens, since he'd lost the few friends he'd had, he had really only played for himself... himself and the one friend he had, before he kissed him and got caught. The young man shrugged. "I love it. Esp---ecially f-folk music! Learning s-s-s-songs from new cultures and all." If his guitar weren't stashed in his bedroom at home, he'd offer to play for her. Maybe she could teach him some Earth Kingdom folk songs.

"I've always wanted to try playing the violin, but between earthbending lessons, schooling, and learning to take over the shop, there was just no time. I think it's too late to learn now, but Jin Ho says —"

"Oh y-you should!" he agreed quickly. This Jin Ho was obviously a dear friend to her, if not her very serious romantic interest. "W-why not? It's fun to l-—--earn new things, isn't it?" He paused before setting down his cup. "Tell me about your Jin Ho." That would be a sure way to have her forget her embarrassment and talk to him about her life. It seemed like a great idea.

Shtiya liked learning about new people and their lives. Patient history was one of his favourite parts of being a healer! He leaned his chin in his hand, rubbing idly at the wrist. The bandages were uncomfortable after a full day, and he couldn't wait to take them off when he got home.
Last edit by Deleted: Mar 1, 2013 17:18:30 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Mar 3, 2013 1:57:20 GMT -6

The Lotus Café

He played guitar, how impressive! Hoshi clapped her hands together. "How lovely!" she exclaimed, excited. "Maybe you could play something for me, would you mind?" It was an eager question; live music was not something Hoshi had the pleasure of listening to usually; the first — and last — time she had heard live music was at that odd party Mizu had invited Jin Ho to.

She smiled at the suggestion, colouring a little pink with pleasure. "It would be nice," she said, though knowing she probably would never pick up a violin. There just wasn't enough time, not until Sohee could start brewing tea on her own and could be left in charge of the shop.

Tell me about your Jin Ho.

Hoshi's flush deepened as she stumbled over her denials. "He — he's not my Jin Ho," she clarified hastily, waving her hands in front of her. "He's just — I mean, we've known each other since we were kids. Our parents are friends." Her hands went still and fell to her lap with a soft noise as they slapped against her thighs. "He's a police officer, I think I mentioned."

Hesitantly at first, then with increasing comfort, Hoshi sketched a pretty picture for Shtiya about Jin Ho and her relationship with him. She told the healer about growing up together, about learning earthbending together. "Though, obviously, Jin Ho went a lot farther with it," she acknowledged with a giggle.

She even told him that they used to date, but that it 'hadn't worked out'. Hoshi faltered then, not sure if she should tell Shtiya about Jin Ho's preferences. It wasn't her story to tell, but ... "I just wasn't his type," she said simply, but with emphasis on the word 'type'. "Of course, that was really shocking, we were set to be wed since we were barely weaned." Okay, maybe that was an exaggeration. "I was ... really shocked, too. It took a while for me to be able to see Jin Ho again."

"But that was a couple of years ago," Hoshi wrapped up. "We're thick as thieves now! We have dinner together often — or did, rather before this whole..." the woman waved a dismissive hand in the direction of the window. Out there, she meant. The Equalists. "He's been so busy with work, he's not even had time to see his boyfriend, much less me---oops!"

If this was a time as any to curse, it would be now. But Hoshi bit her tongue, hard enough to draw blood.You silly girl! she chided herself. The cat was out of the bag now, and the woman struggled to do damage control.

"Oh, oh," she moaned, clearly distressed. "Please don't say anything. No one knows really. He hasn't — hasn't said. Please don't say anything!"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Mar 3, 2013 19:03:58 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Mar 3, 2013 19:03:58 GMT -6

The Lotus Café

Shtiya laughed a little and nodded. Of course he didn't mind playing! He wished he had the guitar with him at that moment — he'd play for her right then! He smiled gently as she blushed and stammered a little as she began to tell him about the police officer in question.

"I just wasn't his type. ... I was ... really shocked, too. It took a while for me to be able to see Jin Ho again."

It sounded like that had been a very emotionally trying experience for her. She went on to say that they had a close friendship again, but the Waterbender was willing to wager that she needed a few more friends. It was very hard to stay friends with someone one was in love with! Shtiya knew that from personal experience, and he hadn't liked it very well. Hoshi probably needed a good shoulder to cry on and a good listening ear. He was perfectly capable of providing both of those things. He nodded sagely, still listening and drinking his tea as she continued.

"He's been so busy with work, he's not even had time to see his boyfriend, much less me---oops!"

Ah. Boyfriend. Well, that explained why she had leaned on the word 'type' when talking about this Jin Ho. Well, it was a sensitive subject. Or at least, Shtiya knew it could be. Not everyone was so closed-minded, but one could never be sure and the healer was inclined to believe that more people were against it than were for it. She seemed horribly embarrassed to have let her friend's orientation slip, however, and immediately begged him not to tell anyone.

Shtiya just smiled. "D-d-d-don't worry," he said calmly, "j-—-ust like my p-patients, whatever my f-f-f-—--friends tell me is safe with me." While he knew he could have said 'it's okay, I like boys too', they were a bit early in their friendship for that. Shtiya didn't mind talking about himself, but he also didn't like divulging some information unless specifically asked. It was safer that way. He kept his slim brown fingers wrapped around the warm cup, stifling his coughing in his sleeve. The herbs were working to suppress the cough well enough, but nothing was perfect. When he went home he knew he could just use some water to restore balance, but he preferred to rely on the herbs he gave customers. It was an ethical and moral point.

"So w-what do you l-l-like to do for f-—--un?" he asked, changing the subject away from her dear Jin Ho for a while. It was better she focus on and talk about herself, in his opinion. Selfishness was good for those who didn't usually practice it. In a way, Shtiya used listening more than any other skill.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Mar 5, 2013 2:23:22 GMT -6

The Lotus Café

Hoshi smiled gratefully, though she was still a little worried. Still, healer-patient confidentiality! That was no light thing to swear on, right? "Thank you," she murmured, still feeling foolish for having made the mistake in the first place.

So w-what do you l-l-like to do for f-——-un?"

That gave her some pause. The silence that stretched between them as she thought was, she felt, really telling. After a while, Hoshi shrugged a little, her smile a little wistful. "I haven't had time, really." It was a painful admission. "I enjoy my work, and sometimes I read magazines. The most fun I could claim to is listening to Probending broadcasts during the season, but..." It was no secret what happened to the Arena.

Hoshi paused again, then continued. "Well, I suppose that's not wholly accurate. In my spare time I teach a girl that helps me out with the shop some bending forms. She's not a bender herself, but she's interested in self defence. We went to the Armadillo-Wolvles / Wolf Bats match a couple weeks ago, the first live match for the both of us."

Fun. It was such a simple word, but while she often had fun while doing things, she could honestly not remember things she used to do for the purpose of having fun. Not that it really mattered; she knew to take enjoyment where she could, and her life was hardly wanting for anything.

She smiled again, more sure of herself this time. "I think it's okay though. I have the most fun when I'm doing. Cooking for Jin Ho, or teaching Sohee, cleaning my house — I really enjoy it! Of course," she laughed, "I am crazy about probending. I just haven't had much time to be... active, I guess, in the probending world."

The record started to skip. Badoshadoo, badooshadoo, badooshadoo... Hoshi moved the needle back into the proper groove. "So what do you like to do, Shtiya?" she asked once the recorded voice was out of its repetition. "Do you like probending too?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Mar 5, 2013 22:07:22 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Mar 5, 2013 22:07:22 GMT -6

The Lotus Café

Shtiya nodded gently as Hoshi told him she hadn't had time to do things for fun. She was obviously very busy working in the restaurant and worrying about her emotional connection with this Jin Ho. It sounded very much as if she needed to get out of her own head more often and spend time not doing things related to work. He wondered idly if Hoshi would like to come over for dinner or go out to listen to music. Not that he knew much about where to go out, but there was a little cafe with an open mic night that he knew about. It was a low-key, fun time, and not very expensive. Heck, if he had a friend to support him, Shtiya even thought he might be willing to perform himself!

He nodded when she mentioned her co-worker. It sounded like she had fun with her, but Shtiya wasn't sure how relaxing teaching someone things could be. When she said they'd gone to a Pro-bending match together, the Waterbender smiled. Now that sounded more like recreation!

I am crazy about probending. I just haven't had much time to be... active, I guess, in the probending world."

What a common hobby probending turned out to be! It seemed almost everyone he met in Republic City was a fan. Personally, Shtiya thought of bending as either an art or a means to an end — he hadn't really considered it as a sport. Probending failed to hold his interest, as he had never been one to be interested in the fighting styles of bending. All he cared for was healing.

"So what do you like to do, Shtiya? Do you like probending too?"

"Oh," said the Waterbender, shaking his head a little, "n-no. I d-don't f-f-f-f-find bending very interesting. I... I p-play guitar and g-g-garden and c-come up with my own herbal m---edicines." He smiled. "I'm a v-very ah, qu-—--iet person." He liked spending time at home and drinking tea and reading books. He liked tending to herbs in his windowboxes. The slender young man shrugged. "It's okay if you s-say it's girly," he said quickly, realizing how odd he sounded. What kind of guy liked plants and music and staying home? "I get that a lot. I, um. I l-l-l-like c-comic books," he added, somewhat lamely, blushing. He looked down into his teacup, a bit embarrassed.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Mar 6, 2013 8:23:49 GMT -6

The Lotus Café

Hoshi was impressed. "Your own medicines!" she repeated, the awe apparent in her voice. Shtiya was more than just an average healer, then. Making his own medicines, and so young!

She giggled when he suggested his hobbies were 'girly'. "I don't think that at all. It sounds very satisfying and relaxing," she reassured him. Plants benefited everyone, regardless of gender, no? Why would the care of plants be something only girls could enjoy? It was silly, but then again, she could see why he would pre-empt such a response; there were some men who were very insistent that the only way to be a man was to be loud and obnoxious and drunk. She sniffed in disapproval of those other people, but smiled at her new friend.

"I've never read a comic book," she confessed. "The pictures are very pretty, but the stand I like to go to has the Probending magazines next to the comics and..." Hoshi shrugged pleasantly. "They always wound up winning."

The record ended, and Hoshi put another in its place, featuring the same, smoky-voiced woman. There were words to this record, and soon the singer's voice came from the phonograph, wondering melodically if the moon missed her man.

Hoshi looked at her cup, staring at a floating tea stem. "May I ask your opinion, Shtiya?" she queried suddenly, not meeting his eyes. "If someone you liked seemed to want to tell you something, but kept changing the subject suddenly, or telling you to never mind, would you be worried?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Mar 12, 2013 23:54:45 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Mar 12, 2013 23:54:45 GMT -6

The Lotus Café

She sounded so surprised that he made his own medicines. "W-w-well yes," said Shtiya, "I k-keep research and I've s-—-pent years studying herbs to learn their effects." He sounded a bit defensive. So what if it were a bit unconventional for a Waterbending healer to use herbal medicine? He was certain that his theories about the combination of methods providing best outcomes were right. All he needed was some time to practice and prove it! Shtiya was very, very serious about this aspect of his life. He thought about it all the time.

When she said she'd never read comics, the young man shrugged. He loved them, personally — all kinds! Action, adventure, fantasy, romance... he even liked naughty ones, provided both love interests were male. Of course that information was private! Shtiya would never tell someone he'd just met something like that. "M-maybe you'd like them," he suggested. "It's n-nice to lose yourself in a s-s-story." He suggested a few titles, mostly romances meant for girls. A few of them were quite popular, even, and one was about a girl learning to cook. Surely Hoshi would enjoy that!

"I don't think that at all. It sounds very satisfying and relaxing."

Bless her for her generosity of thought and understanding. Shtiya smiled pleasantly, pleased by her answer. He ran a gentle hand through his hair, testing for dampness. It was mostly dry, despite the thickness. He carefully tied it back in a loose tail at the nape of his neck, silky and black.

"If someone you liked seemed to want to tell you something, but kept changing the subject suddenly, or telling you to never mind, would you be worried?"

Pausing in his normal, delicate way, Shtiya wrapped long fingers about his teacup. He was a very poised person, graceful and small. He seemed to do everything with precision, even stop to think. "I'd l-l-l-likely try to f-find out what was wrong," he said, after a few moments. "S-—-ometimes when something is b-bothering us we need to have it c-c-coaxed out." He smiled. "You s-seem concerned about your fr--iend." No doubt it was her Jin Ho. He seemed to be the only friend she'd really mentioned, after all. Shtiya sipped his tea for a moment, allowing her to reply by using silence.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Mar 20, 2013 21:43:00 GMT -6

The Lotus Café

Hoshi kept her eyes on the tea cup, watching the floating stem as if allowing it to leave her gaze would have catastrophic consequences.

You s-seem concerned about your fr--iend.

She nodded slightly. "Yes...." She paused, wondering just how much she could tell him. They were newly met, of course, and she didn't want to burden him too much with her troubles. "My... my friend has been acting very strange, lately. He wants to tell me something, he says, but before he says whatever it is he becomes irritable and the conversation goes nowhere." She left out the part about Jin Ho asking about being in love with more than one person. "I don't know how to approach it." The stem suddenly changed course in her cup, and Hoshi paused for a moment to watch it. After a few seconds of silence, she added, "I seem to make him mad when I do."

And that was the thing, wasn't it? This... communication block, that she and Jin Ho were having. They had always been able to share everything between each other, and now it felt like there was this... this cloth wall between them. Thin, like she could just barely see something was wrong on the other side, like a shadow through a suspended sheet; but it was still something she couldn't push through. It worried her — was their relationship changing? What was it that Jin Ho had trouble talking to her about, even after they had known each other for so long, and been through so much together?

It wasn't until the record skipped again that Hoshi realised she had been silent for a while. She looked up and forced herself to smile, feeling regretful that she had brought the subject up. "Oh, I'm so sorry. That was rude of me! I apologise for burdening you with my troubles this much." She reached over and fixed the needle, trying to hide her discomfort.

"Let's move on to a more pleasant topic!" she said, trying to bring the conversation back to a lighter tone. "How do you like your tea?" Ah tea. The perfect subject.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Mar 20, 2013 21:43:19 GMT -6
Anonymous
May 9, 2013 15:16:40 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 9, 2013 15:16:40 GMT -6

The Lotus Café

"My... my friend has been acting very strange, lately. He wants to tell me something, he says, but before he says whatever it is he becomes irritable and the conversation goes nowhere."

The Waterbender leaned his chin in his hand, eyes bright. Shtiya was a very thoughtful and quiet young man, and he was contemplating what she had said. Perhaps her friend was wishing to impart something very emotional to her? "S-—--ometimes we have d-d-difficulty talking about th-things that are very d-dear to us," he offered. "It may t-t-t-take some t-time for him to come 'round." Hoshi seemed genuinely concerned, which was sweet of her. But the healer thought it best she be reminded that one person can only do so much! "I'm s-—-ure that your h-heart will reach him, if you just be yourself. M-m-maybe he j-just needs to know you're th-—-ere."

Hoshi remained quiet for a while, but silence didn't bother Shtiya. It was normal to him, and felt comfortable. He had always thought that true friends were those who felt no discomfort when sitting in silence with each other, and so he made no move to say anything more. There wasn't a need, anyhow. When the record finally skipped, Hoshi seemed jolted out of a reverie.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. That was rude of me! I apologise for burdening you with my troubles this much. How do you like your tea?"

Shtiya smiled sweetly. "It's lovely," he said. The tea was really perfect. He sipped it again, clearly enjoying it. "Th-thank you." The Lotus Cafe seemed to have perfected the art of tea. He hadn't been anywhere that had such a clear liquor before! The brew was perfect. Idly he wondered if they might consider a partnership in selling medicinal blends. He could certainly use the extra money, and he knew his teas were good. He even put an herb in to sweeten them!

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 9, 2013 15:34:28 GMT -6

The Lotus Café
[tag: zombi]

M-m-maybe he j-just needs to know you're th-—-ere.

Could it really be that simple? The words seemed to reach her slowly, first as a small whisper, then louder and clearer, like a bell. She nodded, more to herself than Shtiya. Yes. She would have faith in Jin Ho, in their friendship, and trust that Jin Ho would speak to her when he was ready. She couldn't force the issue, not without hurting Jin Ho or herself — or both! — in the process. Yes. Shtiya was right.

Her new friend complimented the tea, and Hoshi beamed. "I'm so glad you liked it!" she said, part with pride and part with relief at turning to a familiar subject where she had both feet firmly planted. "My father spent a lot of time crafting his own blends, and stressed the importance of brewing the tea properly: too soon, and it is only water with a bit of colour; too late, and it becomes bitter and leaves the mouth dry. Too big a scoop of the leaves, and the tea is too strong; too few, and it is too weak."

The woman smiled and tapped her nose with her index finger. "Of course, we have many secrets!" she said merrily, her eyes playful. "But I can't tell." She laughed.

Hoshi sipped her tea, enjoying the perfect flavour. She felt a little guilty talking on and on about herself, but Shtiya seemed content to listen. That was fine by her.

"The tea in this city leaves something to be desired, doesn't it?" she said, shrugging a bit dismissively. "So-called tea masters who wouldn't know green from black tea, cafés too overburdened with options that their tea is mass produced, one-size-fits-all." Hoshi shook her head sadly. "It's a pity, I think most of the people in this city don't know that anything is wrong with their tea."

She paused, then leaned forward. "D'you know, I once heard that the fabled General Iroh was a tea aficionado and wanted to start his own tea shop! Can you imagine a decorated General and member of the Fire Nation royal family serving tea to commoners?" Hoshi giggled. "It would be a wonderful thing, I think, for tea to bring people of different classes together, but still somehow the thought of such a celebrated warrior doing what I do is funny!"
This user is Mod
Last edit: May 9, 2013 15:36:00 GMT -6