The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Niko's letters home

jiggyt35
Oct 6, 2012 12:12:18 GMT -6

Post by jiggyt35 on Oct 6, 2012 12:12:18 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Dear Noona,

Things are going good here. I got my first real paying job with that girl I met in town the other day. Airi’s a little strange, but there’s not really much about the situation that isn’t. I thought I would like work, but being in that hot, stuffy bakery for hours upon end is so…different. It’s different from how It was at home, I mean, where we used to live. This is home now. Grampa always made it sound like fun, or at least made me think I would like it, but I don’t. I don’t like it one bit. I thought that I would like the change too, the adventure. My mother had me thoroughly convinced that I was just like her, because of the way she can’t stay in one place for too long. Because of the way she’s always “Making up for lost time”. What I’d really like to ask her is “Was that time lost?” you know, “what about me? Was I a waste of your time?”

She’s always wanting to move on to bigger and better things, it’s like what we got here isn’t good enough? The only reason we have this “money situation” is because she psyco-hypnotized me into thinking that this is what I wanted, when It’s really just her trying to live up to her childhood perception of the world, that she never got to live out. We don’t have the means to her ends, and I’m not going to work my ass off in this sweaty shop so we can scrounge up enough cash for the rent before it’s off to the next one. No, for all the money we paid to even get in here, she better die in this house. (That was a joke, I don't want my mother to die.)

The worst part is: She doesn’t want my money. She doesn’t even want me working. It’s not like we couldn’t use it. I’m not doing this for her or for this ‘family’ (if you can even call it that). I’m doing this to prove to the world, or maybe just myself that I have something to offer. Even if it is just scrubbing counter tops and taking out the garbage. When people look at me I want them to see—

I hate it when people look at me.

I know that right now I don’t want to be here, but I thinking that maybe I never wanted to come. Maybe, more accurately: I never wanted to leave. I know I’m not like my mom. There’s a whole piece of me (and I don’t know how big that piece is) that’s missing. Well, it’s still here, but I can’t put a name to it. I don’t know what it looks like. I don’t know how it is supposed to act, or who I’m supposed to be.
And another thing! How am I supposed to get to know a girl, if I can barely figure out who I am? Airi’s the only girl I’ve met, but I’m pretty sure she’s a lot older than me. It’s funny: I can stand heads and shoulders above someone and still feel like a little kid. She’s a bit of a ditz, but nice enough. I like her, but she’s got the kind of personality that can wear on you some. She’s not like you, Noona.
Maybe as I’m sitting here, wishing I had just stayed with my home, My dad’s out there wishing he had left with his.

From Republic City with love,

Niko
This user is a guest
Last edit by jiggyt35: Oct 6, 2012 12:43:21 GMT -6
jiggyt35
Oct 6, 2012 12:42:55 GMT -6

Post by jiggyt35 on Oct 6, 2012 12:42:55 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Dear Noona,

The carnival came to town today. I haven’t been there yet, but the whole city is buzzing with excitement! I don’t think I’m feeling it so much though. I’m still finding new things here to look at and it’s confusing why the city dwellers don’t act like this all the time. It’s like the whole place is a carnival 24/7 but they only open up their eyes to it when there’s tents and games and lights strung up. Speaking of lights, I don’t know why they even bother. Every street has its own legion of light poles and every storefront has lamps and bulbs suspended over their doors. I doubt these people even know what ‘nighttime’ is. It’s always light in Republic City, but that doesn't keep it from getting lonely, it just keeps me from getting any sleep.

I’m sorry about that last letter too. I was just feeling angry for a little bit and I didn't mean half the stuff I wrote. With all the things going on inside my head, (and all the things going on outside it), it’s been difficult to find time to even think. People are starting to talk, but I don’t want you or anyone else to worry about us. We’re doing just fine over here and things are going to look up soon enough. Granny Hiroka always says that “it’s darkest before the dawn”, so I think we’re due for a little sunlight anytime now. How is she by the way? I hope you’re keeping your promise and looking after her and gramps! (That was another joke because I know you visit every day, and I’m perfectly aware that they can take care of themselves.)

I've thought about all the things you said in your letter and well, as much as I hate to admit it: You’re right. maybe you've got a point. I’ll try to make some new friends and hopefully… I don’t know. Hopefully things will change.

From Republic City with Love,

Niko

(Ps: maybe I’ll go to the carnival after all.)
This user is a guest