The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Name Ideas

spode
Jan 13, 2013 0:29:52 GMT -6

Post by spode on Jan 13, 2013 0:29:52 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I recently had an idea for a non-bender character from the Earth Kingdom who practices "speech bending" for use at a Minecraft roleplay server and possibly here. I am aware that I'd be unable to actually use the bending plugin which is a big hurt to me as I love that plugin, but oh well, I have a thing for non-bending characters.

Since this is a roleplay form, perhaps you could help me form a good backstory, heritage, and name for him.

I have some idea for his personality, but unsure about the rest.

The jist of it all is that he is a non-bender from the Earth Kingdom that has some similar ideas to the later Equalist movement but mostly keeps them to himself and this causes him depression even though he doesn't need to be that way.

He also realizes that he would make a terrible soldier so he decided to retreat to his love of literature and speechcraft (which he jokingly refers to as speechbending) realizing that he could become a warrior with a pen instead of a sword.

I'd figure that he'd most likely be residing in Ba Sing Se. Perhaps as a student at the University.

I dunno, this character is probably dumb anyway. I could probably eventually sort it all out. I just have trouble with names especially for this lore where the name should sound oriental yet stick with their world customs.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jan 13, 2013 1:21:49 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 13, 2013 1:21:49 GMT -6

I'm always bursting with ideas so here's a few:

• Family of five, two parents and the oldest of two others, so always burdened with the role of the "example" the other two look up to so they don't misbehave. Joins the military but is let go on a medical charge and then takes up writing instead of swordsmenship.
  • Only child of two parents, a lot of hopes/expectations on him. Finds a way to let stress off: writing.
  • Ju'un Zu
  • Quan Hao
  • Hiyo Nuzuki
This user is a former member
spode
Jan 13, 2013 5:32:30 GMT -6

Post by spode on Jan 13, 2013 5:32:30 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Those names are pretty good. How do you come up with them by the way? Are they just random or do they have specific meanings?
This user is a guest

Post by Gia on Jan 13, 2013 9:44:45 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
I'm just going to remind you that roleplaying is restricted to Republic City and surrounding areas at the moment. :) Sorry. Asami has helped you with names so I'll leave it at that.

Sent from my Prism using proboards
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jan 13, 2013 9:45:20 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jan 13, 2013 14:04:13 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Not to rain on anyone's parade but I really want to encourage you to create your own character, by yourself — at least the first time. It's fine to bounce the ideas off of us, but I'm not sure how well you'd be able to enjoy playing a character if you didn't come up with the specifics yourself, especially for your first character (which is usually peoples' primary character).

Karena's already mentioned that the RP is limited to Republic City / Air Temple Island, but I want to also add that we're trying not to suppose anything about outlying areas at the moment, especially if they are named locations we've seen in the past. Sure, Ba Sing Se *might* still exist, and the University *might* be around but it's nothing we know for sure within the current timeline of the plot. It could very well be there, but the dynamic may have changed in the last 70 years (remember, the United Republic of Nations was once just a collection of ex-Fire Nation colonies, and now its capital, Republic City, is one of the most prominent and trend-setting locations in the Avatar world).

For the current set of ideas you've voiced, those sound fairly interesting, but underdeveloped. He has similar ideas to the Equalists, and wants to become a "warrior of the pen" — but why? What drives him? What encourages him to do that? How are his ideas similar to the Equalists, and how are they different / why doesn't he become a part of the Equalist rebellion (remember, not all Equalists are fighters! Hiroshi Sato is probably the most prominent example, but there are also people like the protester in the park)?

I'd also be careful about saying stuff like "mostly keeps them to himself and this causes him depression even though he doesn't need to be that way." I'm not saying that having a depressed character is disallowed or bad, but you have to remember that portraying depression can be difficult if you want to portray it with as much respect to real life depression patients as possible. If you want to have a depressed character, I'd do some research into different types of depression. As someone with bipolar disorder, there is nothing I hate more than seeing people portray a character who sighs and goes 'I'm so depressed!!' a million times but is only circumstantially sad or disappointed.

Overall though, I think it is actually a REALLY GOOD character idea! As far as I know, there is only one journalist-type character — mine — and she is not someone you would classify as a "warrior of the pen". I think there's only one other writer character in general, which is Zombi's Tae-yeon, and she is a novellist/detective. It would be really neat to bring someone like that to life, keeping in mind what I said about specifying a non-Republic City location / depression / fleshing out the character.

As far as names go, the naming customs in the show are really fun. You don't HAVE to follow any of these, because as long as it's Asian in some way, we'll accept it, but these are what I've observed in the show.

An overwhelming majority of people in the Avatar universe do not seem to have surnames. The only surnames we see in the show are "Bei Fong" and "Sato". The Bei Fong family is a wealthy family — if you remember, they were the richest people in Gaoling, complete with a family crest that carried enough weight for Toph to circumvent the rules even in Ba Sing Se. Hiroshi, on the other hand, grew up poor, so it's likely that he adopted a surname for himself, considering that he is, for all intents and purposes, a "self-made" man, rising up from the depths of poverty. Alternatively, he could have been poor growing up, but could hail from a wealthy family somewhere in his ancestry (either relatively recently, or in the past).

The Earth Kingdom has always been a mesh of real-life cultures. We see a lot of Chinese (I think the in-show writing is in Mandarin), but there are Korean and Vietnamese influences as well. Depending on the culture, you may wind up with a name with a specific meaning, or not.

For instance, there is a lot of Chinese custom that gives a child a particular name that embodies their parents' hopes and wishes for their child's life, which is then approved by a fortune teller if it is an auspicious name. Sometimes the name may be adjusted to something more auspicious, or for balancing out a lack of an element in the child (eg: if a child is deemed as having too much water, their name might be something that would strengthen their wood qualities and bring balance).

Later in life, the child may receive a new name as part of a coming of age (for example it is not uncommon for a female child to receive a new name if she marries to one that would bring prosperity and happiness to her married life).

Korean culture, on the other hand, can be less strict on names, instead opting for something the parents find pretty or that they like. Iroh mentions there are "a million Lees" so Lee would be a "safe" name to fall back on. Names also seem to tend to be mono-syllabic in the Earth Kingdom (Professor Zei, Song, Meng, Wu, Haru, Lee), with a few exceptions such as "Long Feng" or "Ju Di"/"Joo Di" (though I have seen it listed on IMDB as "Judy" which I am not sure is accurate).

The Fire Nation's influences are a lot of Japanese and Thai, in regards to the clothing & architecture we saw in AtLA. Names seem to predominantly (but not with 100% consistency) have a "Z" somewhere in them (Zuko, Sozin, Azula, Ozai, even Aang's friend Kuzon). I am not too familiar with Thai as a language, but there are a fair number of names in Japanese with the letter 'z' in it to keep with the tradition.

The Air Nomads / Air Acolytes / Air Family seem to use Tibetan names, which isn't surprising considering the monks in general seem influenced heavily by Tibetan Monks. Even Pema, who is technically a nonbender and not an Air Nomad, has a Tibetan name (Pema means "lotus"). I haven't seen too much variation, but we have not seen a lot of named Air Nomads either (note: Yangchen is Tibetan, not Chinese).

The Water Tribes were heavily influenced by Inuit culture, which name-wise pairs a lot of hard consonants together. In Avatar specifically, the Water Tribes seem to overall favour an 'ahh' sound in their names (Bato, Katara, Sokka, Tarrlok, Hama, Kya, Pakku, Tahno, Korra) as well as double consonants (double K and double R seem the most common). The most notable deviation is Yue (which can be, depending on the character used, Chinese for "moon").

A character with mixed heritage, a relatively new occurrence in the world, may have a mix of naming traditions. There are no references in-show, but it would be a logical conclusion. For example my sister was born to a Filipino mother and a Dutch Father. Her name is part Filipino, part Dutch; a character in the Avatar universe might have more than one name they are referenced by to reflect the mix in heritage, or even a hyphenated name. Similarly, a mixed-race family with multiple children may not stick to one naming tradition, such as Katara & Aang naming their kids using Water Tribe (Kya), Earth Kingdom (Bumi), and Air Nomad (Tenzin) traditions.

Middle names are something I have not seen a lot of in Asian culture in general, with a few exceptions (eg: if the culture is heavily influenced by Western society, such as the Philippines), and I cannot think of a single instance in Avatar where a character is known to have a middle name.

There is one other naming example I can think of, which is Guru Patik. His name is Indian (not sure what specific dialect) or Sanskrit; we're not sure where he's from, though it's assumed that he is from somewhere in the Earth Kingdom (though not confirmed).

WOW that was long — sorry about that! But hopefully this helps. Don't feel too pressured about names though — it really doesn't need to have any correlation to your character whatsoever as long as it's Asian.

(And, actually Asian, not spelled-with-an-"Asian"-accent)

I hope this helps!
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jan 13, 2013 15:15:41 GMT -6