The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Birthdays/Major changes

Anonymous
Sept 29, 2012 13:07:47 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 29, 2012 13:07:47 GMT -6

This tends to be a difficulty on rpf's seeing as its hard to keep track of literal days in the story line. In the cases of birthdays, and major character development, don't the character applications become out of date? Yes, the original app is to define the character so no one has a Mary/Gary Sue and that characters are by staff exceptions, but I've found them to be key in understanding other peoples characters for plotting or simply to get an idea of stuff and whatnot.

For such an instance, I plan on a major character development with Airi that would change her appearance, a dramatic change in personality and an addition to her history.

When she became an alternative for a probending team, Kami had be add on a bit to her history. Would the same to imply?

To be even more specific, if given the chance to either rewrite or add on to her app, I wouldn't detail every last rp she's been in, simply to write an overview of major incidents.

This kind of question has been killing me for a while. I am not a big fan of when characters either in a show or on a rpf end up being the same age and exact same person after many years.
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 29, 2012 13:31:29 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
They can become outdated, yes! However, your profiles are always available to edit if you so desire - just ask me or Zombi to unlock, and we'll double-check to make sure it's all okay with the rules and such.

For me, I tend not to change my character much; while the history is different (as in, it progresses), my characters never seem to have any drastic changes in personality. Ling is always going to be Ling, Ren might change for certain people she's close to but for everyone else she's still introverted Ren, Hoshi is still motherly and exciteable, etc. Even if they mature and grow, the 'base' template (ie: the profile) is still applicable. Even if characters develop and mature, who they are never changes (if that makes sense).

THAT SAID, If your character winds up needing a major change, that needs to be included in the profile too. :] Just let me or Z know when you need it.

Birthdays, however, are another matter: both AtLA and Korra (thusfar, anyway) take place under a year. For TARP purposes, unless your character was born in fall/winter, they will not have a birthday for a while.

(This post goes for everyone)
This user is Mod
Last edit: Sept 29, 2012 13:35:41 GMT -6
Anonymous
Sept 29, 2012 16:02:29 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 29, 2012 16:02:29 GMT -6

Thanks! That's really helpful! :D

I also want to point out, Kami, most if not all of your characters are fully developed. While Airi is an adult, she's missed out on social interaction and has forgotten a lot of things, making her mind set somewhere from 16-17. She still acts like a kid, can be rather naive and whatnot. I thought playing a character that needs to develop was a nice challenge only to recently realize that it would make her app very different than her present self.

Mei, Yuuta and Pema won't need a lot of developing, unless someone comes around and convince Yuuta not to be such an ass xD
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 29, 2012 16:12:56 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
I guess I can see that! I think there's always room for development, though, don't you?

But you're right, age does play some factor in it, and since Airi's young, there's more room for the "life-changing" stuff. :]
This user is Mod