The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Air Acolytes

Anonymous
May 25, 2012 18:20:00 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 25, 2012 18:20:00 GMT -6

I had a question about Air Acolytes, and I figured I might as well make a thread for questions/discussion about the Air Acolytes since we don't know all that much about them. So, here it is.

I was wondering about the Air Acoltye teaching methods. Assuming the program--school, maybe--was started by Aang, I'd imagine that all of the initial teaching was done orally, with Aang teaching the students all he was taught. I do wonder, though, if that's how it would be done now. I guess my question is, do we know if the Air Nomads had any sort of library containing books about their history and culture for students to read, or can we assume that all teaching is done orally?
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 26, 2012 4:48:55 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Sorry I missed this :]

I would think that there wasn't much in the way of written work left after the Air Nomad genocide and while there may be a few relics here and there (like the training thing), it's probably all oral teachings.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
May 26, 2012 5:01:08 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 26, 2012 5:01:08 GMT -6

It is possible that new literature has been written by Aang and/or Tenzin on the Air Nomad teachings and history. But in respect to the latter, I doubt that Aang would remember all the information he was taught with much accuracy, considering his young age at the time he ran away.

There's also the chance that some scrolls or the like were hidden away in places that the Fire Nation armies just couldn't get to (like the Avatar Chamber for example), but the odds of that are slim.

In any case, I doubt that there would be enough books and such to fill a library. ^_^
Last edit by Deleted: May 26, 2012 5:02:42 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 26, 2012 5:24:39 GMT -6

henshin Avatar
It is possible that new literature has been written by Aang and/or Tenzin on the Air Nomad teachings and history. But in respect to the latter, I doubt that Aang would remember all the information he was taught with much accuracy, considering his young age at the time he ran away.

There's also the chance that some scrolls or the like were hidden away in places that the Fire Nation armies just couldn't get to (like the Avatar Chamber for example), but the odds of that are slim.

In any case, I doubt that there would be enough books and such to fill a library. ^_^

I don't doubt that some information has been scribed, especially if Acolytes are tasked with keeping Air Nomad traditions alive.

Also, it IS possible to get into places like the Avatar chamber, they just didn't — as we saw in the Northern Air Temple. :]
This user is Mod
Anonymous
May 26, 2012 6:03:40 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 26, 2012 6:03:40 GMT -6

I don't doubt that some information has been scribed, especially if Acolytes are tasked with keeping Air Nomad traditions alive.

Also, it IS possible to get into places like the Avatar chamber, they just didn't — as we saw in the Northern Air Temple. :]

A fair point about the Northern Air Temple, I forgot about that. :) Although that may have just been a special case, due to the genius of the Mechanist.

The Fire Nation could have forced their way through any door given time though, I imagine, but since their mission was to kill all the airbenders rather than burn down their temples (since three of the four were seen still relatively intact), it's hard to discount the possibility of some knowledge from being salvaged. ^_^
Anonymous
May 26, 2012 8:39:55 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 26, 2012 8:39:55 GMT -6

Well... I'm guessing that the Air Acolytes appeared quickly after the end of the war. So, when you consider that the Air Nomads' history was mostly depicted onto the temples' walls and I'm guessing represented by statues and such, if Aang puts some effort into storytelling and his students pull out their best writing skills, history gets passed down. Customs is definitely another matter. There has to be a certain amount of well-known customs - for example, Airbenders never turn down a guest - but yeah, like Kami said it was either oral teaching which means they're pretty much gone, or the relics are found and studied.

The biggest... shame, in my opinion, is that their architectural knowledge will be gone. I mean, the Western Air Temple ? World's second greatest wonder if you ask me - the first being Ba Sing Se's wall... unless you count Wan Shi Tong's library. I wish they'd made an episode that told exactly how the Air Nomads were wiped out, because that one place felt to me like a stronghold.