The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Seasons and Drugs

kgal
May 25, 2012 15:53:00 GMT -6

Post by kgal on May 25, 2012 15:53:00 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I just had a couple of questions regarding the rp universe.

1. What's the season? I'm assuming mid- to late fall, considering the colorful autumn leaves shown in the show, but I'm not sure. Or is this up to interpretation for the player?

2. Alcohol seems to be available, as seen by the boards. But what about tobacco? It doesn't really seem to fit into the crops grown natively throughout the Earth Kingdom. But if so, do they buy in packs as in present day, or would people roll their own and smoke without filters?

3. Would there be other drugs, like any hard drugs prevalent in the 20s? Is opium a potential drug? Or perhaps a "different" sort of drugs, made from universe-specific plants? (Say, a tea brewed with a rare hallucinogenic and purely fictional leaf.)
This user is a guest
Last edit by kgal: May 25, 2012 16:04:52 GMT -6
Anonymous
May 25, 2012 16:01:23 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 25, 2012 16:01:23 GMT -6

Oooooookay. We're staying in show timeline with the first two episodes right now, I think, so the season is probably late summer/early autumn? We have not progressed in gameplay timeline to the winter episodes yet, and since rather big events happen that many character would react to, I'd say we need for people to stay in late summer/early or mid-autumn to coincide there.

As for the rest — because this IS a PG-13 site, I am hesitant to say "sure drug it up", but historically many substances have been available and would be available around this era. The first filtered cigarettes were produced in 1927. In its present form, cocaine was first synthesized in the 1800s. Opium would obviously have been around. Heroin is an opiate that was first synthesized in the 1870s. Natural hallucinogens such as salvia and peyote have been around forever as they are plants. LSD was first synthesized in the late 30s. MDMA was synthesized in the 19...teens? But, as I said, I am hesitant to be like "drug culture baby" because pg-13, so....

Let's see what others have to say, shall we?

ETA: if I remember rightly we see a gangster character in a Korra episode use a cigarette, do we not?
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: May 25, 2012 16:08:01 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 25, 2012 17:26:25 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Hello there :]]

Please stay clear of substances that are currently illegal in the United States; ProBoards TOS expressly forbids content that can be seen as glorifying or promoting illegal activity, so steer clear from that. I want to include in that "controlled" substances that are legal with say, a prescription, unless the character is actually on medication in-character, as prescribed by an in-character doctor.

As far as fictional drugs... while I am sure they would be time-appropriate, I am uncomfortable in allowing it on the forum. While an argument can be made for poisons / medicines, recreational uses of such drugs — even if fictional — doesn't sit well with me, especially as an argument can always be made that we are promoting "illegal" or "illicit" activity by allowing posts that go against the spirit of the law, if that makes sense.

Alcohol and tobacco, I am fine with; anything else toes a line that I am not too eager to find out the boundaries of.
This user is Mod

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 25, 2012 17:28:16 GMT -6

Oop! Forgot to include — It is currently late summer in the RP; Our plan is to have the first Major Event occur around November, which would coincide with the in-character season change. :]
This user is Mod
kgal
May 25, 2012 17:35:12 GMT -6

Post by kgal on May 25, 2012 17:35:12 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Zombi: ooh, I didn't catch that gangster.

Kami: gotcha =] Like I said, I wasn't sure about the drug usage, which is why I asked. I figured if allowed at all, they would be strictly monitored, and I think it's better this way - to be without.

Thanks again for both of you guys, and it's good to hear the timeline's path. =]
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 25, 2012 18:21:18 GMT -6

:] any time, of course.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
May 25, 2012 18:29:01 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 25, 2012 18:29:01 GMT -6

Woo! I can't tell you much about the TOS, all I'm good for is "did this exist in XXX era?" Hahahah. (:
This user is a former member