The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

nothing expected (hamari)

Anonymous
Nov 19, 2012 16:47:32 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 19, 2012 16:47:32 GMT -6

There was no reason she should hide in her house all day, working in the bakery hour after hour, eating on the job to avoid stopping. She burnt her finger twice yesterday, slightly wishing she had seen Korra lately. The firebender burned herself way too often and always continued to work regardless since it never stopped her before. Fire, in her mind, had so many helpful options and she always tried to stray from thoughts about her burns and how fire was the result of them. In the end, she knew it was her fault for being so careless and forgetful. Still, it wouldn't hurt to have a healer near by to help.

She sighed as she roamed the streets of Republic City, setting her fears of the Equalists aside with the reasoning of they would never attack in broad daylight. Without thinking, she picked at her blistered fingers that poked out from her fingerless gloves that hid the rest of the burn scars that crawled up her arms. Airi wasn't too proud to admit that not all of them came from working with the oven, but in fact some of them came from her own firebending.

Without noticing it, she had walked in the direction of the bay. Down the distance was the now-closed probending arena she once played in that she could see quite clearly though she wished she couldn't. She had too many good memories there, as well of the new nightmare of loosing her bending as it had been announced very publicly by Amon himself.

Airi kicked a pebble, watching it bounce off the roads a bit before falling short of the edge of the walk. Ahead, in the opposite direction of the probending arena, she saw a crowd of which she suspected to be a market. Glancing at the sky told her it was nearing noon, as did the temperature of the air around her. She could get something fresh and yummy to eat! Gladfully, she skipped her way towards the crowd, weaving through the people until she found a stand that she liked, one that sold nice, warm curry.

Buying one bowl as well as half a loaf of bread from a neighboring stand, she took a seat on the ground, leaning against the side of a building. With no spoon, she used the bread to soak it up. As for the chunks of meat in it, she tore a few pieces of the bread to scoop up the tasty food. It reminded her of the lunches she used to eat about half a year ago when she was always running around, doing errands instead of working in the kitchen. "Ahh, this is nice,"
[/color] she said, softly to herself as she closed her eyes lightly to enjoy the moment fully.[/blockquote][/blockquote]
This user is a former member
kaendoro
Nov 21, 2012 21:59:23 GMT -6

Post by kaendoro on Nov 21, 2012 21:59:23 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
It’s been a rather busy day for Hamari; dancing, jumping, twirling, running more jumping and then repeat the process for hours upon hours after more hours. This ‘dancing in the streets’ life was rewarding, but she swore she should be getting more for this. She needed a break, she felt sore enough as is just walking down these busy streets everyday. Her shoulders slung miserably as she winded around a corner, where her gloomy amber colored eyes flicked at the scent of something, “Is that… is that boiled centapus legs?” she piped up clapping her hands together with glee - there could have been hearts in those eyes - and then bit her lip, her gloomy stature perking up instantly, her nose sniffing diligently for source of the smell.

Her head shifted to a few food stalls not far from her, a crowd of people gathering around a bizarre of culturally different food.

Hamari crossed twenty feet dashing across the street to meet the line to the cashier within seconds. She saw what she wanted, it was right there hanging next to some ornamental Saber-tooth Moose-lion horns, boiled centapus legs with a special red-sauce. Hamari was practically drooling at it as the line closed inward. Not long, she was standing before the cook ready to make her order. She lifted a finger, directed toward her dish of choice, and had several Yuans in the other hand. “Have a great day!” she closed, and he smiled with a nice, “Enjoy your meal!” soon after. She didn’t want to wait to eat it so she chose a comfy shadowy brickwall and sat inside it, using chopsticks to slurp up rubber-textured grub.

She was wearing a casual outfit today, a black jacket, an ivory tank top and some metal-colored yoga pants, with wrapped shoes to top it off.

“Yo, yo! Jii’n! Dude, look!” she overheard from a group of teens, well actually several people actually, who seemed interested in something. Her eyes shifted to their gaze where she saw someone eating what looked like curry from her distance. She didn’t look familiar - though Hamari loved her style – and she seemed rather peaceful at the moment. “It’s her, Airi, from the Raven Eagles!” she heard them pipe up again and her curiosity drew her in. “Probending girls are so hot… speakin’ of hot, her firebending is pretty awesome.” she overheard and she looked over at the woman again, a probender, and a fire-bender, and she was hot? This was her first time meeting a probender in person, though that’s sort of saying much considering she barely knows anything about it.

There was no denying the hot-part but she wasn’t going to admit that anytime soon.

Hamari was starting to wonder why all these people were just gawking from a distance, why didn’t they just say hello to her or something? She was a probender, not a monster; that wasn’t reason to be scared of her was it? Hamari hunched her shoulders and then tossed the empty plate into trash can not far from her. Then she started off, passing the group and gaining their attention in the process, her foot steps brought her a few feet from Airi where she waved with a wide smile on her face. “Hi! My names, Hamari!” she started, and then looked back. “I overheard them say your name is Airi? Yes, and you’re a probender?” She was trying as hard as she could to keep back the pleathora of questions she wanted to throw out…

… but she kept it too one. “What’s probending like exactly?” she asked wholeheartedly.

Hamari’s father had a massive distaste for probending, saying was just a money-hoarding sport, he band it from the radios and TV. Thanks to this, Hamari has never really gotten into Probending, she’s heard some things through radios and the telecom, but that’s it.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Nov 21, 2012 22:45:31 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 21, 2012 22:45:31 GMT -6

Airi found herself lost in her curry- her favorite type of dish of all time- and separating from the world just by a bit. She remembered times when she still attended school, running home for lunch which wasn't too far away - and it wasn't like she had anyone to hang with, anyways - to eat leftovers. Leftovers, somehow, ended up being better than the stuff right out of the oven. She could mix-match whatever she wanted to fit her tastes which was often a bowl of soup that she would reheat with her firebending and a bit of tough bread that she would let soak in the spicy entree. It was a fond memory, not like she had a lot of memories she wasn't fond of, but this one was especially nostalgic.

Hearing her name picked her up and carried her from her mind back to reality. It wasn't very often people recognized her as a probender seeing as the teams were always covered in gear during a match. And it was rather odd that she was getting noticed after probending had been shut down and with Amon on the rise. Like her, once open benders now were more sparse in publicly using their bending. Still, she felt happy that someone knew her; not just knew her, but saw her as something other than a memory problematic girl.

In the midst of eating her food, a girl came up talking very quickly and very exuberantly. She almost reminded her of herself before the nightmare of Amon invaded her mind. She smiled, nonetheless. "Yeah, I'm Airi,"
[/color] she said, realizing that she felt weird saying her own name. Meeting people wasn't something she did often, tending to only know people that have known her for a while, usually neighbors, family and a handful of friends so introducing herself wasn't a very active habit of hers. "Hello, Hamari."[/color] What a nice name, she thought to herself. It reminded her of food, but -then again- as a baker almost everything did.

"Well, I was a probender. I lost my first match and now probending is kind of...out of season, so to say,"[/color] she said, her words accompanied with an awkward laugh. Her first match hadn't been the best, though she only played for half of it. Anya, the former team captain, hadn't been feeling too good and left after the first round and, Airi, as their alternate subbed in, but it was too late when she managed to really get her head in the game.

Still, the girl asked what probending was like. "It was hard practice and the game itself isn't much more than a regulated street fight, but it was fun being able to move around freely, without having to worry about collateral damage,"[/color] she replied with a light laugh. "It was a chance to be around others with a similar interest and just get out pent up energy. Somehow, it was a way of relaxing."[/color] Not a lot of people saw the good in firebending, but keeping control of your breath and letting it out was somehow relaxing.

The look on the girl's face then told her she wasn't asking what it felt like, but what the sport itself was like. With a laugh -this time not so awkward- Airi began, ""It's like... um, a strategy game. You really have to find a sense of team work to keep protected and trying to push your opponents out of the ring. One of each element, minus air, of course. It's a rush; each match only lasts from a limited amount of time and feels impossible to win, sometimes."[/color][/blockquote][/blockquote]
kaendoro
Nov 22, 2012 0:20:13 GMT -6

Post by kaendoro on Nov 22, 2012 0:20:13 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Hamari sort of shifted to a guilty gaze as Airi spoke about her previous inquiries with Probending. Hamari, being so detached from it, hadn’t really drawn the line that Probending probably wasn’t coming back for a while, if ever. Thanks to Amon’s attack, there was no way they were going to reopen it until all of this strife had passed. For a moment, she realized Republic City was at war, and those gloomy feelings were starting to overtake her again. No! She had to stay happy, how would her mother feel if she saw her like this? She had to stay strong… she had to be stronger, for her family. She admitted that if there was one thing she admitted her father was good for, it was his courage.

The way Airi was explaining it, Hamari could tell she was really enjoying her time as a probender, she felt a little tinge in her heart as Airi explained everything. If Hamari was any more sensitive, she might have started crying for the girl. “Sorry,” she started truthfully, “I should have been a little more aware of that, it sounds like you really liked Probending.” Hamari went to finish and then made a little smile. “My family isn’t really into Probending, my dad hates it so he never lets us watch it or anything.” She explained as she stepped beside Airi and leaned against the wall with her hands in her pockets. “Sometimes, I wonder if he’s just jealous.” She muttered soon after…

It made sense…

Hamari started nodding as she realized something, “He thinks Probending is untraditional and only there for money, but it sounds like that’s only one side of it if you ask me. I think everything you just said sounds pretty fun actually, that and a great boost for self-esteem.” Fighting against a group of people in a ring with barely any holds and millions of people watching? of course it was a plus! It had to be. “I bet it’s because he knows the Probending Firebenders are probably better than him.” She started connecting dots out loud, and by the end of it she started giggling… and then stopped and stared as she realized she just publicly insulted her own father, in front of a Probender no less.

Expression for a second was sort of uncaring though and she kept the idea that her father was being invidious as reason for his disliking of Probending. Now that she thought about it, he hated the idea of Agni Kai’s as well, probably because, again, he knew all those Firebenders could kick his butt. But wait, who was she to be talking? She was no bit better than he was when it came to fighting with Firebending; in fact she had no combative prowess to speak of. Well, maybe that wasn’t the complete truth. She’s scuffled with some kids when she was little, but it wasn’t with bending, simple fist-only. She never won, ever; but people knew one thing, Hamari didn’t go down without putting her all in it.

She cleared her throat and put on a "Sorry. I went on this rhythm of my own there.” She said with a nervous laugh… now she was the one feeling awkward.
This user is a guest
Last edit by kaendoro: Nov 22, 2012 0:23:14 GMT -6
Anonymous
Nov 22, 2012 0:59:22 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 22, 2012 0:59:22 GMT -6

"Oh! No, you shouldn't feel bad,"
[/color] she bumbled, realizing the effect of her words. "Actually, to tell you the truth, I didn't know about probending at all until a few months ago."[/color] Buying flowers for the bakery had caused her to run into a young man who eventually asked her to be their alternative. At that time, she had too much time on her hands and the idea of being around people was one she didn't want to let slip by. Besides, it kept her safe, when she thought about it. Instead of roaming the streets, on errands or just for fun, she was in an environment where people could look after her without putting much effort into it. "But once I got into it, it was hard to stop. I'm certainly glad I got to play it for as long as I did,"[/color] she mused.

She let Hamari talk on for a bit, not minding at all. Actually, she took advantage of her silence to take a few more bites of the soggy bread and lukewarm curry. Airi giggled. "Smart man. Probending is a looser form of bending, but I don't see it as a show of power. It's entertainment, really. Should we expect singers to sing for free simply because the new style of jazz much was untraditional?"[/color] replied the woman, though she couldn't help when the girl poked fun of her own father. The firebender didn't know how well her father could firebend, but she wouldn't lie when she would say that probenders tended to be a bit strong than the average bender. Though probending's goal was to get the other team as far back as possible or off the ring entirely, the force and planning of the attacks were something anyone could transfer into a real fight

While Hamari stayed silent for a few moments, Airi began to talk about her own parents. " My mom is a firebender; she taught me what she knew- though I also learned a bit from Anya. My dad is an earthbender, though my younger brother is a nonbender."[/color] It must feel a bit lonely to be left out of the bending aspect of the family, she guessed, but it was never like the three of the family of four would go off and bend all day to bond. Most of the bonding was at home in the kitchen, prepping for the next day or actually cooking together. Aisen and their father liked to experiment with different kinds of pastries, thus the "and Goods" at the end of "Hitomi Bread and Goods". Otherwise, it would be solely a place of bread.

"Are you a bender?"[/color] she asked sort of carelessly.[/blockquote][/blockquote]
kaendoro
Nov 22, 2012 13:05:45 GMT -6

Post by kaendoro on Nov 22, 2012 13:05:45 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
((OOC: I actually started writing fatherbending so i kept it rofl...))

Hamari started giggling as Airi called her father a smart man, but she kept listening through and nodded, “Well, sadly my father’s firebending skills about as looserish as they can get. He still has trouble producing flames and its been years.” She made a rather pitiful expression towards that remark; she almost felt bad talking about him like that. But in all honesty if anyone saw it for themselves they’d know what she means. He spent an entire day trying to hit a target that was only five-feet in front of him. “That makes sense; I guess I can’t really say myself because I can’t really fight well, Probending or just in the streets.” Of course, Hamari didn’t think herself any better at fighting than he was; at least he had the mind show hostility towards someone, something Hamari had trouble doing herself.

She listened to her speak about her family, and her interest peaked, a Firebender with a Earthbending father and Firebending mother, some might call that normal, but Hamari was very intrigued, she honestly believed that it was a romance worthy of a book. “That sounds amazing,” she mused and seriously meant it. Of course Airi, living around them all the time might not have the same opinion. “Me, oh! Yeah, I’m a Firebender. My mother is a southern water tribe dancer and my father is a fatherbender- I mean, Firebender.” She started chuckling at her misusage of words at that point and almost started bursting into laughter.

Hamari gathered herself and started speaking again, “I got my papa’s firebending and my mama’s looks and dancing. My little sister Mei’in took papa’s looks and my mama’s smarts. Well, at least that’s what they say.” Mei’in had a way of surprising Hamari with howspontaneous she could be. Seriously that child was a professional at driving her up the wall, and she swore she was learning it on purpose! “But yeah, like I said I’m not much of a firebender but… she did delicate little back-spring and struck a bebop pose. "I can dance!" she chimed happily... and then frowned“But that’s all I can really do…” her shoulders slouched as she remembered she was still kind of aching, her body started to stiffen up and she practically dragged herself back to the wall.
This user is a guest
Last edit by kaendoro: Nov 22, 2012 13:09:05 GMT -6
Anonymous
Nov 22, 2012 13:37:16 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 22, 2012 13:37:16 GMT -6

Airi nodded, realizing that even if someone did have the gift of bending it didn't necessarily mean that they had the knack to use it properly. Her mother, a semi-skilled firebender, worked in a kitchen for the majority of her life so using firebending was a daily thing in terms of firing up the furnace or oven. Her mother, also, refused to have some of their wiring fixed that gave energy to the only phone they had and a few other appliances, so every so often some of the stuff wouldn't get the juice it needed to work and she would end up just throwing in a spark so she wouldn't have to wait. Airi never managed to properly learn lightning bending, either from lack of concentration or otherwise. She hadn't tried it as of recently, but she was never able to get a single spark out. And her mother probably realized the same thing and gave up on teaching it in case her daughter managed to do it but with poor technique. That would have had some nasty consequences.

"Oh, I see,"
[/color] she voiced when Hamari told her that she couldn't fight. Nowadays, even though the gangs had receded due to the Equalists, said group also haunted the streets after night. It was frightening and the only thing that gave her comfort was that she could fight back despite her bending being the reason they might attack her. "I could probably show you a few things,"[/color] Airi offered. It wasn't like she had much to do, anyways, and she could help someone! The thought made the firebender very happy and proud of herself.

"Come on, I know a place,"[/color] she offered as she stood up and walking off in the direction of an empty lot only a block or two away. What once had been a tall apartment building was now a cleaned out pile of rubble, only two walls remaining and the charred remains of a wooden floorboard. "Can I,"[/color] she asked, holding up her hands in a beckoning way, "see what you can already do?"[/color][/blockquote][/blockquote]
Last edit by Deleted: Nov 22, 2012 16:47:26 GMT -6
kaendoro
Dec 16, 2012 5:17:08 GMT -6

Post by kaendoro on Dec 16, 2012 5:17:08 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Wait, for a moment Hamari thought she had just heard Airi say she’ll help her in her pursuit for training... Wait, she didn't hear wrong! Being shown firebending by a Probender – despite not knowing her rankings – sounded like an amazing experience and maybe the practice she’s been waiting for. “Y-you will?” Hamari spoke out energetically, and then listened as Airi offered to go some place else. “Sure!” She accepted gratefully, suddenly that achy feeling was gone, and she had more energy than ever. Really this might have been a large stepping stone in her life, for Hamari, learning how to fight meant she could finally protect her family, or maybe even join the police force.

The next place they came to was a cleared sector; construction work from a previous building surrounded them and Hamari’s memory pieced together something about it. It was an old apartment complex; it was nothing but beams and support columns now, though the remaining walls gave the perfect privacy they needed for training. She remembered walking by it before a while back, so this wasn’t too unfamiliar to her. Can I? She heard Airi ask, and then grimaced at the thought and watched her gesture. "See what you can already do?" Well, this was embarrassing…

Honestly, Hamari’s amount of respect for Airi’s Probending was making it difficult for her think of what to do in front of her. She didn’t want to admit it, but she was worried of being laughed at. “Well, I’ll try…” she managed to get out and then tried to think of some form of firebending form, nothing came to mind so she went with next best thing.

Hamari took a deep breath, and swiftly recalled her mother’s moon-step, a tribal dance revolving around a foot pattern closely resembling the infinity symbol. She kicked off her shoes and instantly went work, the little bits of foot work coupled with twirling and thrusting arms made the dance almost martial in appearance, she quickly added firebending however, and suddenly it was graceful and bright. The flames extended outward for a few feet, nothing too impressive, but it was controlled, some of them even took shapes.

She ended it with a pose shaped quite like snake striking from the grass, creating two arcs of flames that took the shape of crescents. Standing upright, she bit her lip nervously. “That’s my fake-firebending…” as her father would put it to her. She was half expecting giggles or laughter at this point…
This user is a guest
Last edit by kaendoro: Dec 16, 2012 5:17:30 GMT -6
Anonymous
Dec 16, 2012 15:46:31 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 16, 2012 15:46:31 GMT -6

Airi leaned against one of the incomplete walls as she watched Hamari nervously began to firebend. It was pretty, the firebender admitted to herself in her head. The movements were certainly firebending-based (she wondered if the girl taught herself or learned from her supposedly bad firebending father) and she had the breathing portion of it down, which was the most important part of firebending her mother had taught her. Movements could be learned easily, but if you couldn't control your breath then you'd have a really rough time trying to firebend. When it came to fights, endurance was a big part of things because if you ran out of air and still needed to throw another punch then it'd be a really weak one. She wasn't accustomed to dancing, though she figured it took a lot of energy and endurance to do so and firebend, even if it wasn't full fledged firebending.

"Fake?" Airi repeated, unable to hold back a snicker as she walked near. "You produced flames, Hamari. That's not fake."
[/color] Fake firebending was lighting a fire and pretending it was firebending. Fake firebending was when lightning stuck and someone pretended that they summoned it. What Hamari did was pretty, even if it was effective in a fight. It was in no way fake. "You're very steady and I noticed you had no problem with your breathing,"[/color] she informed the dark-skinned girl, pausing a moment in her words to squeeze the girl's arm slightly, "and you're very fit. You should have no problem learning."[/color]

The baker's daughter had never really taught anyone before. She had a younger brother, but he was a nonbender who ended up learning self defense instead of honing any bending talent. But the girl seemed to have the basics of firebending down. All that she had to do was show the proper stances and movements. Even a bit of technique, perhaps. "All you lack is a bit of guidance."[/color] It probably hadn't helped the girl if her father was that bad at bending. At least Airi had two bending parents, even if her father was an earthbender.

"Here, watch me,"[/color] she told her, taking a few steps back. She placed her right foot out in front of her, her left arm pulled back and balled into a fist whereas her right arm was extended though not locked, also closed. She took in a deep breath and slid her left foot forward as she threw her left fist out and pulling back her right one. With the motion, she let out her breath slowly and fire poured from her left fist like a canon ball, nearly hitting the side of a building before dispersing. "Do you think you could do something like that?" she asked after taking in a breath to replenish herself from what she had expelled.

"Just remember, the movement isn't as nearly important as your breath is. Think of it as... your body can direct the fire, but without your breath there won't be any fire at all. Even the movement doesn't dictate how powerful your fire is. It's all about keeping that inner flame burning," she said, patting the center of her chest, "and breath control."[/color]

The fire she had seen come from Hamari before was pretty, but not nearly as honed in on the fire as it was the shape of the fire. With some basic moves and breath control practice, she hoped that could be fixed easily, though she knew not very quickly.[/blockquote][/blockquote]
Last edit by Deleted: Dec 16, 2012 15:47:44 GMT -6