The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

aimless (gang)

Anonymous
Oct 22, 2012 14:47:15 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 22, 2012 14:47:15 GMT -6

If a random person were to be picked off the streets and shown the picture of a small woman with light brown braided hair two out of five would say they would have seen her. If asked when or how, they would describe the situation as confusing. The woman would often have an unfocused gaze, drawing attention to herself by repeating the same chore endlessly or restarting conversations without realizing it. Her character wasn't really a forgettable one nor very easy to work with, but those that knew her would say that her cheery disposition made up for it all.

Of course, that woman happened to be lost once more withing her memories, unable to recall events that happened barely a minute ago. Her cheeky features didn't show the confusion nor were her steps hesitant, but the question "did I already do it?" constantly nagged her. Airi put a hand in her pockets, looking for a crumpled paper written by her mother to record what she needed to do. No luck; she had lost the paper. The pencil in her pocket now unneeded to cross of things from a list that was now not in her possession.

So what had been the next thing she was supposed to do? She already retrieved the ingredients that the bakery needed- a medium sized bag filled to the brim, being held by her other arm-, but that wasn't all of the errands she had to do. Sometimes it was buying smaller things their family needed: towels, fabric for clothing, decorations for the inside of the shop and so on. With no consistency to her mother's needs, she couldn't even begin to guess at what she needed to do!

Oh, I'm supposed to be getting ingredients, she remembered, turning on her heel and returning the way she came. Only after a few steps did she notice the bag in her arms and let out an exuberant sigh. My, this was so frustrating! she screamed silently.

"Maybe I should just head back,"
[/color] she muttered to herself out loud, hoping hearing it would let her remember to keep going. There had been more than one time when she decided to head home and forgot, either getting distracted or going off to do an already finished chore. Airi kicked a small pebble on the streets, listening to the sharp 'tacs' the rock made on the ground as she moved on.[/blockquote][/blockquote]
This user is a former member
kago
Oct 24, 2012 2:01:34 GMT -6

Post by kago on Oct 24, 2012 2:01:34 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
The sun was high and the streets were pretty sparsely populated which made him pretty confident he was going in the wrong direction. Somehow it was possible for him to still get lost around here despite having lived here for the past couple of years. Gang was actually pretty ashamed of himself at the moment, his shoulders sagging and his typical scowl was deeper than usual.

If he was going to get into the police force he would need to know these streets like the back of his hand. And as a man looking for work, getting lost certainly would not be helping his cause. He had gotten a small in with a restaurant as a dish washer, but now he guessed they would not want him around. 'And on top of that it's so hooot.' he thought to himself, sweat rolling down his cheeks.

Maybe he should ask someone if they knew how to get out of here. At least, Gang thought, at least then I could find my way home. Looking around he spied a woman who looked a bit frustrated. He did not want to think about bothering her if she was having a bad day but... she was kind of the only other person besides himself. "Miss," He straightened up as he approached her, dark eyebrows still drawn low on his brow.

He hesitated and stared as he considered what to say. She was obviously uncomfortable with something and it would be kind of rude of him to just come at her with his problem. It might be ironic if he did it anyway... Gang crossed his arms and boldly ignored the temptation. "Do you need help? You look kind of confused."
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Oct 24, 2012 19:19:31 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 24, 2012 19:19:31 GMT -6

"Miss."

The idea that someone was talking to her did no occur right away. Instead, she stood there, repeating in her head the message that she needed to head home for a new list before she went off on her way. Repetition always helped, somehow. The doc' said it was her short term memory that was affected most, so repeating things made them somehow less... short term? She had no idea what went on in her head and didn't expect others to. She just expected a teeny bit of understanding. She worked hard and would always did what she could to help, it was just something out of her control that made her different.

The man kept on talking and she snapped her head to look at his face -or more specifically: his eyes- and listened to him whilst figuring out what she was going to say in response. But then words just began to spill from her mouth in a way she couldn't even comprehend what she was trying to convey. "Yes! I mean, yes as in I need help; not like "I've got a problem and need help!, but just a bit of assistance. And, uh, no, I'm not confused, I'm just forgetful. Um... That sounded weird, right? Sorry,"
[/color] she bumbled aimlessly, squeezing the bag of goods in her arms tightly. Airi let out a sigh to calm herself knowing she was starting to sound more frantic than confused, at best. All I need is a bit of focus, she told herself silently, closing her eyes in frustration as she searched for the right words to say.

"I have a, um, memory problem,"[/color] she explained bashfully. It always made her feel like she was mentally challenged or problematic. At some points, yeah, she was challenging and problematic, but she could handle herself even if it wasn't the most conventional way of handling things. "I just need to get home, but I keep forgetting that's what I need to do and I start repeating things,"[/color] the woman explained further, hoping his offer of help was genuine and willing to follow through on it. There were some people who offered things just to offer them! How crazy was that?!

"It would help greatly if you could just tag along and remind me every so often where I'm heading is: home,"[/color] she instructed, knowing that one word could keep her focused. She knew the city like the back of her hand! Not really, but that figure of speech seemed to fit it nicely seeing as she -as her brother likes to say it with his big, fancy words- subconsciously knows the lay of the land. Getting from point A to point B? Easy as pie. Giving someone directions from point A to point B? You might as well have drunk cactus juice.

Her mind went a bit fuzzy for a moment or two, where she questioned what she was doing. Her yellow eyes looked at the stranger before her and wondered what he was doing near her. After a confusing second or two, she managed to remember it. Most of it. Not able to recall if he had given her an answer or not, she began to walk in the direction of her home, not bothering to look back to see if he had been following her or let her go off on her own.[/blockquote][/blockquote]
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 24, 2012 19:19:58 GMT -6
kago
Oct 26, 2012 14:19:18 GMT -6

Post by kago on Oct 26, 2012 14:19:18 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
The woman was rather talkative, much to Gang's surprise, and she quickly began rambling off about her situation. A memory problem plagued her apparently, forcing her to endlessly repeat her actions constantly. He could see how that would prove to be a difficult thing to overcome and Gang had already made up his mind to help her as she asked, he couldn't turn her down even if he wanted to. "No worries, I'll help you."

Gang did not know the exact severity of her problem but if it was to the point it drove her in circles normally, she'd be stuck out here for hours by herself. He wouldn't be able to sleep at night if he left so joining her was the easy choice. But he could only imagine the awkward moments awaiting them down the road, like that moment when you have to reintroduce yourself. Which, come to think of it he had not done.

"I'm Gang Zhao, by the way." He paused and briefly wondered if she would remember his name 5 minutes from now. And he almost asked her that same thing but chose wisely not to. Somehow it felt like he would be taking advantage of her predicament if he was rude as usual considering he knew she would most likely forget later. In fact, with him silently following her like this, if she forgot she asked him to come along wouldn't it freak her out to just turn around and see him?

Some stern-faced stranger casually walking close behind her?

Maybe, he thought, if I make small talk she won't forget me and thus, won't freak out. There was no way he could deal with her freaking out or something, and he was pretty confident he was not over exaggerating at all. "So," he said, distractedly, "How do I know when to remind you of where you're going?" Gang crossed his arms behind his head, diligently following his new companion. "Which is Home by the way." he added.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Oct 29, 2012 21:20:25 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 29, 2012 21:20:25 GMT -6

"Thank you! she happily exclaimed, a small bounce in her hair and the items in her arms shifting. Oh boy, wouldn't that have been embarrassing if she had went all out to ask him that - and having explained everything, as well - only to have him say that he couldn't do that or he wasn't interested in dealing with someone with a mental condition. Some of her friends were surprised on how often people didn't want to be around her because of it! So rude, right? AND she was getting better at keeping track of stuff, so holding her to it was totally unfair!

"I'm Airi Hitomi,"
[/color] she replied, looking back, briefly, as she introduced herself. Her mind instantly began to wander, thinking of things like: the newly met man saying "I'm Zhao. Gang Zhao.", "I'm Gang! I run Gang's gang, so give me yo' stuff!" and a few other assorted things. Thoughts like those always bounced around in her head, making it harder to focus on remembering things. Wow! Maybe if she could stop her mind from wandering, she could remember stuff a bit better! She put it on her mental do to list that was obvious to even her that she would forget at the day's end. What if that was the reason she never remembered to fix that habit.

The woman smiled kindly when he asked on how to help her, though behind that kind look was an overwhelming feeling of... of... oh, what was that word! Oh well, the thought "What should I say?" fit the situation quite nicely. Years of roaming the city she called home imbedded a mental map, like some sort of survival thing when she kept forgetting things she always knew the way home. Sadly, the need for that kind of talent also effected the talent itself. She couldn't remember road numbers or street names, even if it was something like remembering what stores were on second street or whatever! "I... uh..."[/color] was all she could say, her mental power now focused on remembering rather than speaking.

"I have... uh, like an internal navigation thingy whatchamacallit. It don't really remember street names or anything like that. But, if it helps, if we're on the right path, I know we'll pass through the park, walk past a bar thingy with a fancy sign, go down an alley and my home is "Hitomi Bread and Goods"."[/color] she carefully spoke, wondering if he'd get what she meant. Associating names with places was tricky for her. Well, like places she was fine with, landmarks the same. But there were so many roads that all looked alike! Everything could be so confusing, sometimes.

Airi puffed out her cheeks playfullly, realizing she hadn't answered Gang's question at all, instead answering a question that she had either imagined him saying or thought of herself. "If it looks like I'm not heading that way, people say I stop what I'm doing for a moment with a glassy look and repeat things. Like, if I was talking to you about pie and repeated something about a fact on pumpkin pie, that would be a sign."[/color] There! She answered it nicely, if she did say so herself![/blockquote][/blockquote]
kago
Nov 9, 2012 13:40:03 GMT -6

Post by kago on Nov 9, 2012 13:40:03 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Small talk seemed to have the right effect and Gang was silent as the odd woman rambled on. He learned a lot from it, however, and it seemed he was in luck. It seemed she had no issue with finding her way home and they would not have to worry about getting lost. As long as Gang managed to keep her on the right track they would reach "Hitomi Bread and Goods" soon, which meant he had a job opportunity.

"So you own a bakery, do you?" Gang asked, looking interested. "My mother used to bake all the time," he smiled for a second and then frowned.

When he was a child his mother would bake the best cookies, even his friends could not resist. Gang had quite the business going when he sold her confections to the public and now he regretted it. If he knew then that there would be a time when she would stop baking, he would have never sold those cookies.

"Actually, I am kind of looking for a job," he said, changing the subject. "Do you need any extra hands around the bakery?" Gang walked a little ahead of Airi and turned his head to look at her over his shoulder. "I don't know if you noticed, but," He stopped and struck a flexing pose, his muscles, if anything, looking smaller as he did so. "I'm pretty strong. You leave the heavy lifting to me." he smirked.

Dropping the silly pose he resumed walking, fiddling with the brim of his cabbie hat. "If you know anyone looking for workers, that would also be very helpful." It never seemed like his pursuit of work would ever end. No matter what jobs he took or how much he made, it never seemed enough. He tried not to let it show but the stress was actually sucking all the energy out of him. It did not help his jobs never lasted more than a few weeks at a time.

"I'll take what I can get." he sighed.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Nov 11, 2012 23:54:51 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 11, 2012 23:54:51 GMT -6

The woman nodded her head happily. "Yeah, well, it's my parents. I haven't inherited it just yet."
[/color] Sure, that kept up her anxiety as to whether they give it to her or her brother, but it let her enjoy her freedom, untethered to a job that took so much time away from enjoying life. Well, that didn't really mean that working the bakery would be a tiresome job and be extremely time consuming, but it was something she would have to think ahead of time to prepare for things, letting dough rise and baking them at the right time so they sell better and don't end up stale by the end of the day. She had also been in a bit of probending though they lost their first round and were kicked out of the competition. It had been fun, though!

The man -uh, his name was Gang, if she remembered correctly?- asked for a job at her bakery. Oh, what directness! Usually people would be, like, so indirect, hinting towards the fact they'd need a job in hopes of being offered one. With Airi that tactic had a way of really working, only her forgetfulness keeping her from hiring the entire unemployed community to work at her bakery. She did have one assistant for a while- a kid named Niko. It was nice having someone around to pick at the little things while she tackled the bigger tasks. Just one day, he stopped coming. She always guessed his mother didn't want him working- he had hinted at it a few times.

"That would be great! I can't offer too much, but the work isn't that hard either,"[/color] she told him in case he was looking for a really high paying job, or at least one that wasn't so remedial. "It would mostly be cleaning and running errands,"[/color] Airi said, giggling a little at his silly pose. He really was quite the character, wasn't he! She remembered her job used to be running errands, a while ago, before she had a tighter grip on her memory problem. Though, if she remembered correctly, those sacks of flour always felt like the heaviest things possible.

"Are you a bender?"[/color] she asked bluntly. She didn't know a lot of people going around, openly asking for workers, but, depending on the person, a bender might not be the most wanted person around. Some benders didn't want to hire nonbenders because of the idea of Equalists while some nonbenders didn't want to hire benders in terms of intimidation. Though, at the same time, a person might want an earthbender more on construction jobs or waterbenders for healers![/blockquote][/blockquote]
kago
Nov 14, 2012 0:06:07 GMT -6

Post by kago on Nov 14, 2012 0:06:07 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Apparently this women was in line to gain ownership of the Bakery they were headed toward, instead of already owning it like Gang had assumed. It was not much of a difference to him and he said nothing, merely nodding as she talked. His own parents had little for him to inherit but he had never expected anything like that in the first place. After his father passed his main priority became talking care of his mother instead of the other way around.

He was much too old for her to "take care" of him anyway, not that that stopped her from trying. Gang suppressed a smirk as he recalled how, to this day, she still tried to baby him. It was just awkward for both parties and kind of silly considering he was always out finding work to baby her.

Gang perked up when Airi's words reached him through his thoughts, "No worries," he said quickly, "Cleaning or running errands; I've done them all." he smirked, feeling assured. Even though she mentioned she would not be able to pay him much, Gang did not care. Something was definitely better than nothing and if he had to choose, he would take simple errands with meager pay over wandering around the city for another couple of hours with no job at all.

He did, however, pause at the forgetful woman's suddenly blunt tone. Somehow he had been expecting the question of if he were a bender or not. With people like the Equalists running around, every one had to be careful of who they associated with. After all, you can not tell if someone was a bender merely by looking at them although some benders worn their powers as a badge, so to speak.

You also could not tell if someone was a supporter of the Equalists by looks alone and Gang was no stranger to losing a job immediately after revealing his bending. The question now had become if Airi was a supporter herself or if she was making sure he was not. He could not blame her for being cautious, whichever one she turned out to be. But still..."You a cop?"

Gang, of course, was not taking it too seriously himself. As badly as he needed this job, he seriously doubted this women would turn him away if he were a bender. Asking him as directly as she did, she deserved get an honest answer out of him, even if he had to say something stupid first. "I'm an Earth Bender," he said, crossing his arms. "And what about you?" he leaned toward her for a closer look.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Nov 18, 2012 1:06:32 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 18, 2012 1:06:32 GMT -6

A small skip was added to her step when she heard her companion tell her that he was used to those sorts of chores. "Goody!"
[/color] she chimed, lacing her fingers of both hands together and holding them out in front of her, stretching. It was nice to know he didn't have that kind of pride most men had of needing the big jobs. Sure, she didn't know a lot of those men, but she's roamed around town enough and listened in - unintentionally of course - on peoples' conversations. Some were about women complaining the men wouldn't get a job though they had plenty of times to get one. Those men would usually reply with something about waiting for the right job to come their way. She felt bad for those women, really.

Airi giggled at the look Gang gave her and the words that came out of his mouth. How silly! Still, she couldn't help but reminisce on a few subjected. "No, but I've been arrested a few times. Nothing serious- goodness no. Those were mostly misunderstandings, a majority of the fault on my side, but that wasn't to say the others didn't have some fault in it,"[/color] she said, accidentally leaving the causes of her arrest vague, thinking it would be obvious of the situations she had put herself in: buying something, forgetting she bought it and grabbing another and walking off with it. Most called her a thief, but she really couldn't get why they didn't accept the fact she had a memory problem, like seriously! Who buys something to steal another of the same item without even trying to be sneaky! It just made so sense.

"I'm a firebender,"[/color] she said, leaning her head back slightly as he closed in the gab a bit. Was he looking for a sign to show she was lying if she answered either way and wasn't the thing she said? On any other day before, she would have held out her hand and shown a flame to the man, but with Equalists all around and everything, it was becoming scarier and scarier to use her talent to blatantly. "It helps starting up the furnace every morning."[/color] Heating the coals without her firebending looked like a pain, trying to start the original fire without something really flammable. [/blockquote][/blockquote]