The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Book 2 Date Announced!

This user is Mod
Last edit: Aug 15, 2013 13:49:20 GMT -6
Anonymous
Aug 15, 2013 22:58:33 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 15, 2013 22:58:33 GMT -6

-dances- I'M SO FREAKING EXCITED I THINK YOU UNDERSTAND

EEP

JUST

I don't know

being able to watch it and think about my oc's at the same time and wondering what they're doing at that point in time. maybe that's just the role player in me derp

but man, we've been waiting for more than a freaking year. I think we have a right to be super excited
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Aug 16, 2013 14:26:14 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
I have to be honest, I'm actually really apprehensive about Book 2. I mean — of COURSE I am excited for more Korra! I am excited because I love the Avatar world. But I really don't feel Book 1 was written as well as it could've been, and I'm disappointed they seem to be dropping the whole bender/non-bender plot entirely, despite the absolute lack of resolution in the Book 1 finale.

I feel apprehensive because I thought the whole point for Korra and her airbending was for her to discover her spirituality, and as we've already seen she doesn't do any of that. She can go into the Avatar state at will from the teaser trailer at the 2012 SDCC panel, and the end of Book 1 she was able to airbender because Mako's life was in danger. I was really sad about this lack of sticking to the plot.

Hopefully Book 2 will fix that, but I had a lot of problems with Book 1 that are either being ignored in Book 2, or haven't been mentioned as of yet. So... excited, but apprehensive as well.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Aug 16, 2013 17:57:30 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 16, 2013 17:57:30 GMT -6

I can understand that. Whereas I know they could've done a lot of stuff better, it didn't really turn me off from the rest of the show. Just like how Mass Effect's ending sucked balls but the whole trilogy was great, except the ending of Book 1 wasn't the only problem.

I get that you're concerned, but it just didn't turn me off as much as it did others, you know? So I'm super excited.

Or maybe I'm just excited to see more Asami and maybe more Korra/Asami friendship stuffs.
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Aug 16, 2013 22:25:56 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Not to spark a debate exactly but I am viewing it, I think, from a significantly different lense, at least with regards to the non-bender / bender dropped plot line.

The representation of disenfranchised minorities in fictional narrative is, to me, incredibly important, being a part of intersecting minority groups (POC, queer, female-bodied, non-Christian); it was incredibly important to me to see how they would handle — if they would handle — the subject of people who are systemically oppressed with care and with awareness. They did not, and it was hurtful on a personal level because things like that affect me on a daily basis, and it was painful to see something that promised to tackle those issues head on go instead by way of just furthering the oppression of those people (having Amon be a bender himself and taking advantage of the plight of the disenfranchised non-benders), and not addressing those issues in favour of a very poorly portrayed "romance" subplot.

With regards to Korra not learning airbending like they said she needed to, I think my gripe with that is less about the failed plot (though that is a part of it) and more how her character development suffered to make way for Mako angst. She didn't grow as a character at all in the first series. The part that was supposed to make her grow was just given to her circumstantially. Aang had to learn how to get over his firebending fears; Korra happened to be able to bend because her ~boyfriend~ was in danger. There were very few consequences for Korra for her actions — not personally / socially, and not as part of the systemic oppression I described above (The line "You're OUR Avatar too!" during the non-bender round up seemed to be ignored after that one instance).

I don't think it's like Mass Effect at all. The ending of ME3 (which let's not discuss here ;P) wasn't great, no, but it wasn't just the ending I had a problem with in Korra, it was literally the whole plot and romance subplot and how things failed to live up to their promise and premise.

For clarity though, I don't hate the show, of course not. I wouldn't be here if I did. But those are the reasons for my apprehension of the new Book. And, because I know the above takedown is pretty harsh, I want to remind everyone that critiquing something harshly does not mean that you love it any less (sometimes, the harshest critiques are born out of disappointment in a thing we hold dear).
This user is Mod
Last edit: Aug 16, 2013 22:33:18 GMT -6