The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Images

Wozz
Jun 9, 2013 6:19:46 GMT -6

Post by Wozz on Jun 9, 2013 6:19:46 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Hello! I was reading the basic site and roleplay rules and came to this one:

You must credit all images to their proper owner, and must obtain permission prior to using an image. Just because an image is on Google does not mean the owner has given permission for people to use it. Please note that crediting without obtaining permission is still theft. If you do not know the owner, and/or cannot obtain permission for the image (whether direct permission, or a 'free-for-use' clause, such, but not limited to, 4chan memes or free-for-use smilies), do NOT use the image on TARP in any manner. This is for all images on TARP - avatars, signatures, and in-post images.

I was wondering how one would approach getting permission to use screenshots taken from The Legend of Korra which might, for example, feature in a graphic made by myself. Or, in this case, does the need for permission not apply?

Thank you for your time! ;D
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 9, 2013 19:31:09 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Hi there!

Official screenshots would be okay, as long as you credit whomever you get the screenshots from, like we do in our "Credits and Rating" sidebar on the left of your screen. Since the artwork is official and for non-profit use, we're under the impression that it falls under the Fair Use Act.

The above rule you quoted is more for fanworks, where the creators may have not allowed their created works to be used. For example, I am a freelance artist and am commissioned to do many fanworks; my art is not available for use as icons and signatures, and while I've seen it on Google images and other such image-gathering sites, citing that you've taken it from there would not be the equivalent of me giving permission, even if you wound up modifying my artwork to create a derivative work.

I hope that makes sense! Let me know if you have any questions.
This user is Mod