The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Repeat Offenders {Airi}

boo
Jul 25, 2012 2:19:29 GMT -6

Post by boo on Jul 25, 2012 2:19:29 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Paperwork was the bane of her existence but it was important. If any one person was not processed properly it was possible that they could be set free on a mere technicality. Fortunately, it had not happened recently and certainly not in her time as the Chief. This particular edition featured a breaking and entering plus an arson charge. Of course, they had managed to narrow it down and bring in the perpetrator, which offered Lin some peace of mind. Of course, when the person had set an officer's home alight with the woman inside, all involved in the investigation tended to take it as a personal affront. The young woman in question had been seen to and fortunately survived. Lin had visited her and offered condolences and her sincere support. Hopefully that was enough and she couldn't help but feel remorseful that she had not prevented such an attack. Well, she would simply have to do what she could to stop it happening again.

Lin walked from the room and through the corridors, towards the main entrance. Hm. More juvenile delinquents being brought in for questioning and processing. What was happening with the youth of today? Lin watched as one of the officers led a couple of kids past her. Chief Beifong looked at the faces of each person that walked by and when the group had passed she took the files from the officer after a brief request and walked with the group towards the holding cells.
"What did you catch them doing."

The usual, desecration of public property. Lin turned the pages in the preliminary report with little interest. They were people who had performed such acts before and usually got off with a light warning. The cells were for hardened criminals not these sorts of criminals but the punishments would get worse the more times the kids were arrested. Lin's brow creased as the officer informed her of another person they had arrested for a different crime, who was now waiting in an interrogation room.

"Right. Bring me the file and I'll take a look."
She nodded to the man and then turned on her heel towards one of the rooms. For a while, she waited outside the room, arms folded and a stern but thoughtful gaze fixated on the wall opposite. When people passed, she nodded a greeting but did not fidget as some were prone to do when waiting. After being handed the file, Chief Beifong clenched her hand into a fist and pushed open the metal wall to open the room. Casually but with an air of disapproval, she walked and stood opposite the offender.

Then she waited for the other person to speak.

{ooc: hope it's ok!}
This user is a guest
Last edit by boo: Jul 25, 2012 2:28:10 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 25, 2012 2:53:06 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 25, 2012 2:53:06 GMT -6

Come on, Airi! Think!, she thought to herself frantically as she sat in the holding cell, a place she was not glad that she could say she was familiar with. As not a creature of habit, she never sat in the same place or became relaxed while she waited, often confusing some of the police to recall if she looked familiar or not. In the end, most would recognize her after the first half hour passed, but that's not what's important right now! She tried to focus her thoughts, trying to remember something as to why she had been chased and dragged down to the central station!

"Miss," a man said, opening the door to the holding cell and draping to the side. Airi simply gazed at the man for a moment. Had she done this, before? Usually, they would call her home and her parents would come and get her, like she was a child. Did they have her records? It was an easy mistake to make; she wasn't a child. The firebender was merely an energetic, optimistic and naive person. It didn't help that she had short term memory problems, making it so she couldn't remember small facts very well.

He opened another door and she walked inside only to hear it shut behind her within a fraction of a second. I guess this guy is a professional door opener and closer, she thought to herself. After standing and waiting and pacing for a few minutes, she took a seat in the chair next to the table as began to sort out her head once more. Alright. So today she had decided to eat out for lunch as she was on the other side of the city. She bought a kabob, but before she could eat it, the lady began to shout' thief!' while she walked off with her purpose. Surprisingly, the one bite made her felt like she had eaten one or even two of the kabobs already.

Next thing she knew, she was here, in the interrogation room. Wait. The interrogation room?! Oh no! What had she done? They were going to throw her in jail and she wouldn't be able to eat nice bread or candy, or talk to Asami or Niko. When a mean and tough lady came into the room, Airi's mouth hung wide open.

"Um, uh, lady, why am I in here? Am I going to jail? How long? I didn't do anything!" she said, her words squished together like she had only a few seconds to make her case. "But, uh, what did I do to make me get arrested?"she asked innocently. What had she done? No matter how many times she tried to remember having stolen anything today or anywhere, but she just couldn't think of it.
This user is a former member
boo
Jul 26, 2012 6:33:40 GMT -6

Post by boo on Jul 26, 2012 6:33:40 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Soon after she had entered the room, the girl started speaking. She recognised the confusion in the tone and had, in fact, read a lot about young Airi Hitomi. Holding the file loosely in her left hand, she folded her arms and listened to the questions. It was something she'd heard plenty of times before from plenty of criminals but Airi Hitomi was not a hardened criminal. She had a record to be sure but nothing terribly horrific. Still, she had broken the law and that was that. The denial was as much a confession for her but they had only the shopkeeper's word against Airi's and very little other proof. Lin placed the file on the table and sat down. Her expression remained stern and unimpressed. Probably no prison time would be served but rather fines, an apology and community service... Assuming she could prove the crime had taken place as they had been told and made aware. Witnesses could be found if they were needed of course but this was not an utterly heinous crime.

Although she looked stern and there was certainly no softness to her tone, Lin was not planning on tackling this interrogation as she would a person brought in for a more heinous crime. Airi Hitomi had been arrested before. Her file indicated as such and all times she had seemed confused about what had happened. Certainly, this could be a sign of someone trying to avoid the consequences for their actions but also, it was written here that her parents had said something about short-term memory loss. Lin meant to discover whether this was the truth or whether it was some sort of cover up doctored by the girl and her parents in an attempt to avoid charges.

"I have a report that says otherwise," She started coldly, "Miss Airi Hitomi, arrested for stealing. Your record is quite extensive."
Lin looked back up at the girl, searching for a reaction as she paused. Mostly, she seemed innocent but even the most innocent face could be used well enough by a liar. Yet given the reports that had passed by her desk about Miss Hitomi and none of them good. No report that passed over her desk was a good report of course but Lin had become intrigued enough to decide for herself that she would interrogate the young lady when she received the chance. After all, repeat offenders were of an interest to her. A slap on the wrist would not cut it. Hitomi was an adult and must be held accountable. She would have liked it had Korra received the same punishment but, unfortunately, the matter had fallen from her control. At the thought of the Avatar, Lin's expression darkened for the briefest moment.

"But enlighten me with your tale."
Lin sat easily in the chair and although her shoulders and upper body seemed rigid, she was certainly not stressed. Lin was not worried about this interrogation even if the girl was the daughter of some well-respected individuals in the city. She had broken the law just like any other. Had the child of a council member been arrested it would be the same treatment as an orphan off the downtown streets. The same could be said of all the elite officers under her command she hoped. Should they be caught doing otherwise, she would have words with them. In her eyes, corruption was abhorrent.
This user is a guest
Last edit by boo: Jul 26, 2012 7:04:28 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 26, 2012 17:03:50 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 26, 2012 17:03:50 GMT -6

A feeling of nervousness began to form in the pit of her stomach, feeling like the woman's stares were burning into her very being. Airi bit her bottom lip, waiting for some form of response or even recognition that she understood what she was saying, but it seemed like she was bent on intimidating the poor firebender. The brown haired girl began to slightly bounce in her seat, her eyes darting all over the room to avoid the scary woman's gaze. That lady... so scary! Everything from the way she stood to the look on her face (not to mention those scares!) was intimidating to the extreme.

The woman began to talk, sending shivers down her back, somethingthat rarely happened to the girl as she wasn't the type to pick up on small things like how someone looked at others. More often than not she would see the gaze as nothing more than a gaze, but something was different about this lady. The presence around her was just so obvious that even Airi could pick up on it and to say the least it made her uncomfortable.

Finally, when the woman talked, her words felt like something was scratching at her head mainly because of the accusation in her voice, though the cold tone did give her goosebumps. "Stealing? I didn't steal anything. I paid for the kabob," she said, crossing her arms over her black-cotton clad chest as attempt to feel secure. It didn't work very well. "I don't know why she thought I stole something. She's the one that took my money," Airi told her, trying to keep her voice level. She actually knew that she had bought something, but as that memory was a bit fuzzy, she felt it best to assume the person she gave the money to was the lady with the kabobs.

"Um... okay. I was out doing some... errands and I got hungry so I bought a kabob. Then she started calling me a thief. That's all that happened,"she said, a confused look on her face. Why would a lady that just got paid call the police in her? It made no sense!
boo
Aug 1, 2012 18:03:42 GMT -6

Post by boo on Aug 1, 2012 18:03:42 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Intimidation was just a part of her job and Lin Beifong did not necessarily try particularly hard to act as such, it seemed to come naturally. She was fairly still and calm as she listened to the young lady's version of the events. Her officers had reported something different from witnesses. Airi Hitomi had approached the stall, asked for a kabob and then walked away without paying the woman who owned the stall. Certainly, it was possible that the shop owner was lying in an attempt to receive compensation but that hardly seemed a likely event. As soon as a business owner, no matter how small, gained a reputation that was it. People would avoid the stall. Perhaps even now the story was spreading and the truth was that the woman had tried to take advantage of a situation.

It was unlikely. For the moment, Lin's brain was whirring with alternate theories. They ranged from the improbable to the strange but there was one that stuck out the most.
"Trouble is, Airi, you seem to have a lot of incidences like this one. Considering this record of yours you can forgive me for being suspicious."
Lin's tone indicated that she didn't particularly care about all that. Whether or not Airi was comfortable here was not her trouble. Chief Beifong was forced to concede, however, that there was something more to this and that Airi certainly was not a criminal mastermind. Yet, there was still something that troubled Lin. When too many similar cases turned up, Lin had to step in. It was important to keep an eye on who was coming through the system.

"You say she took your money. You remember the exact appearance of this woman? Are you certain you gave her the money?"
Lin's tone was fractionally softer but still hard and somewhat untrusting. Most of these events turned out the same. A young man or woman arrested for a minor crime, picked up by their parents and most charges dropped. When it happened more than once it became most suspicious. Lin never wanted to let someone go free should they be aware of their actions and perhaps planning other criminal acts.

"Most witnesses seem to think you did not give her any money."
Most witnesses meaning a meager two. The woman and the man standing behind Airi in line. No one truly watched what was happening in front of them especially when it was something so mundane as purchasing a kabob.

{ooc: sorry it's taken so long, I've just been back to college this week}
This user is a guest
Last edit by boo: Aug 1, 2012 18:04:15 GMT -6
Anonymous
Aug 2, 2012 21:15:51 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 2, 2012 21:15:51 GMT -6

Airi had no idea she had built up such a record. She thought that everytime her parents came and got her out of trouble, nothing went against her, like only those that serve time or say in the holding cell over night were the ones with the problem of having a 'record'. Sure, she had been a bit careless in the past, but most of those were to consider that she had a very little idea of how her memories stacked up in her head. Though she did have to say now that she knew she had a disability, she should have worked better on it to have a good grip on it. Sadly it was a thing she couldn't totally controll all on her own and doubted that anyone wanted to follow her around all day to make sure she didn't do something like.. like this!

"An appearance?" she repeated, slightly confused. Why would she want to know the lady's appearance? Surely the lady must have taken a statement or something like that. To do so, one had to actually talk to them! "She looked grouchy, had brown hair," she began, just listing adjectives that she could remember that could fit the woman, "kind of big-ish and her hair was in a bun, I think." That was probably a good enough description. Probably. But the firebender wasn't sure. Was it possible that she had actually stolen something?

"Yes! I'm positive I gave her my money," she said. Memories were tricky for her but her senses worked fine; she knew how much her pocket weighed before and after it all. It had definatly felt like there were a few less coins in her pockets after the incident. To her disadvantage, getting a feel on her pockets was not sustainable evidence, especially since they took all her belongings from her, all but the clothes on her back. That included a shopping list, yuans, a few dried flowers and some cloth napkins. "If this is a matter of money, why not just require me to pay her?" perpledidly she asked the serious-looking woman on the other side of the table.

"Witnesses?" Airi repeated, only after saying that to make a mental note of learning not to repeat back everything the cop said. "I don't know how a passerby would know if I paid her or not. I was the only one by the stand," she said. "Listen, all I know is that I gave her money and I walked off with a kabob. The next thing I know is that I'm being arrested. I'm really confused right now." Hopefully that would be enough for the woman to give her some light on the situation.
boo
Aug 11, 2012 5:27:28 GMT -6

Post by boo on Aug 11, 2012 5:27:28 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Interesting, Lin thought. The girl had at least accurately described the vendor and that was something. Lin could detect no hint of lying from the girl. Of course, deception was never something one could see all the time and certainly its detection was never a precise art. Still, Lin prided herself on being right most of the time and all the reports seemed to indicate that Hitomi never really appeared to be lying. It took a very talented liar to maintain a lie for such a long time. Lin had met a few in her life who, even when they had been caught, kept up their act. One such individual, a man, had insisted another had murdered his best friend. The lies told were so accurate, so intense and vividly remembered that it had taken years before they finally uncovered the truth. This man had been a key witness and yet they had believed him over the stranger he had implicated. Lin still felt some remorse over that case, that they had sentenced an innocent man to prison for three years on the word of a liar. It was part of the reason why she was being so meticulous with Airi. Things could be as they were on the surface or they could run much deeper.

"A crime is a crime. Payment is one thing but the law is another. None are above the law."
Still, Airi had given her money to someone and it didn't seem like it had been the woman. This was a conclusion Lin had come to in the interim. The woman had not received the money. Such a small matter this was yet worth some investigation. Normally such a case would, of course, not be a part of her attention but, again, when someone came in a few times Lin preferred to take a look herself. It was one of the ways they'd managed to snag a few Triad members.

The Chief's eyes narrowed at Airi's statement and she looked over the file again. There was definitely a witness and barring corruption, the arresting officer had no reason to lie. Said officer was one of her more decorated individuals and therefore she had no reason to suspect him. Lin remained quiet as she looked through the file again. All or most accounts seemed to indicate a poor recollection of the events. Could it be that someone had taken advantage of this? Maybe not even intentionally. At first, Lin didn't voice her thoughts.

"You're sure about that? Is it possible you just don't remember another person being there?"
Lin's tone still remained hard as she spoke. When on the job, unless she was dealing with the victim of a crime she tended to remain quite harsh when speaking with perpetrators. As she still had no solid evidence otherwise, Airi was the latter. That said, Lin was coming around to a different way of thinking. One needed to take responsibility for their actions whether aware of them or not but the result of said actions could certainly differ depending on where this new line of questioning led.
This user is a guest
Last edit by boo: Aug 11, 2012 5:30:07 GMT -6
Anonymous
Aug 15, 2012 16:57:05 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 15, 2012 16:57:05 GMT -6

This was odd, Airi thought payment and law were very alike. Why else would you require fines for breaking the law? Perhaps this lady was just looking out for her and trying to make sure she would understand things a bit better so she wouldn't get in to anymore trouble in the future! No... No matter how optimistic the firebender was, she knew that couldn't possibly be the reason she was arrested and interrogated. Optimism did not mean stupidity, though many people would argue with her memory problem, it was a very fine line between the two. Still, this lady couldn't possibly believe that she actually stole something from someone. She gave food to the homeless, ran a business with her family that was well off and stuff. Maybe she thought that, being a firebender, she was going around stealing willy nilly just because she could! That's discrimination!

"Oh, okay," she responded, only to let her know that she had listened and the message of what she was saying had gotten to her. Airi's eyes wandered the room. Though there was nothing to look at, it was much less awkward and intimidating than looking directly looking at the officer who just seemed to.... stare at her? Was she trying to do some mumbo jumbo with her head? Like some cop trick to get her to confess to something she didn't do? She's heard rumors that they'll do stuff like that, like threatening false confessions out and playing mind games! Then again... those people were usually some of the deluded men underground or a few nonbenders with grudges towards anything that... bended.

Maybe it was mind mumbo jumbo stuff, because as the woman questioned her more, the less sure she was of her answers that she had been so confident about before. "Um... I think so, at least," she timidly said,
still averting her eyes. "I don't think I saw another person," she added, scratching the back of her neck. What if she was a thief? Like she was living some sort of lie she wasn't even aware of? And that's why she couldn't remember anything! Like, every time she stole something, it would be too much for her comprehension and she'd forget about it! No, that was too complicated that even the idea of it was giving her a headache. Another improbable possibility down the drain.

"What do you think?" she asked, finally looking back at her with her large yellow eyes that were filled with confusion and doubt. It was possible the woman had an idea and was just trying to get her to say something that would confirm it.
boo
Aug 19, 2012 19:40:33 GMT -6

Post by boo on Aug 19, 2012 19:40:33 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Well, one thing could be said, claims about poor memory seemed to be fairly accurate. It was something Lin had wanted to establish for herself. There were plenty of good, compulsive liars out there many of whom believed their lies. Satisfied now that the reports hadn't been false, Lin could dig a little deeper into the problem at hand. Now it ran deeper than just a girl stealing some food. It came down to Lin's suspicions and in three weeks, she didn't want to be sitting here talking to Airi again. She had still stolen but now the Chief was sure it was for another reason. It had been something of an accident. This meant she had to figure out a reasonable punishment to fit the crime. If indeed it was an accident it would probably amount to an apology and a payment to replace the cost.

In thought, Lin's eyes were cast downwards, towards the table but when Airi asked her question, Lin Beifong looked back at the young lady. First harshly but then thoughtfully again. Airi obviously did have something of a memory issue. She could not entice the girl towards admitting something of which she did not even remember. Still, Lin's posture relaxed fractionally when she realised there was no malice behind the question. There was no indication of aggression. Perhaps her own tensions had been running high in light of the emergence of yet another gang on the streets of Republic City... A group of non-benders in addition to the three triad gangs. It was no excuse. She should have done her job properly and separated herself from the differing degrees of crimes.

"I think someone may have taken advantage of your unique situation. It says here that your memory is not the best. I had hoped to discover the truth behind that for myself. How many people know of your memory issues?"

Again, there was no real warmth behind the tone but the hostility had somewhat dissipated. Now there was a small sense of protecting someone from further criminal acts being either enacted by or upon the young woman sitting opposite her. Now, Airi was less a criminal (although she would still have to pay the price lessened as it would be) and instead another citizen of Republic City who was being taken advantage of by entrepreneuring individuals. Many of whom were also criminals on Lin's watch list. The frustrating thing about gangs was that Lin could rarely get her hands on the big time bosses, rather only managing to catch the small timers or, in Airi's case, the people those small timers used to their own personal gain. This was more frustrating than anything else.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Sept 6, 2012 21:23:54 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 6, 2012 21:23:54 GMT -6

Ooc; sorry for this taking so long. and for it being so short.

A harsh glance was sent towards the firebender, instantly putting her off and peeling off another of her security in the situation. Being in an interrogation room was scary enough without all the intimidation! When would she decide what to do and just let her go? Then another, less frightening, look was worn by the officer, though not entirely calming either. Well, that was her job, right? To catch all the bad guys, especially the liars that tried to get away with their crimes even after being caught. Good for her! Not a lot of people could have such focus on their jobs... like Airi. Haha, that was just her, though!

"Really? Why would someone do that?"
[/color] she asked quizically. Why on Earth would someone want to take advantage of her? It's not like she could provide enough or was influential enough to make a difference if she was in jail or not! But what if... what if someone was attacking her family while she was here and that's why they wanted her with the police! No, that was ridiculous. The last thing someone would want would be to have instant access to the police in case of an emergency.

Airi couldn't help but snort when she asked how many people knew about her condition. "Even if I didn't blatantly tell them, it's not a hard thing to figure out when I start doing chores over and over again, thinking I haven't done them yet, or forgetting an entire conversation during a conversation,"[/color] she said, hoping she didn't sound rude or sounded like she was trying to imply that the officer wasn't very smart. "But if you do want to know: my family, a few neighbors know the details about it, some of my former schoolmates had a general idea of it and perhaps a few strangers."[/color][/blockquote]
boo
Sept 19, 2012 4:56:06 GMT -6

Post by boo on Sept 19, 2012 4:56:06 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Lin looked at Airi as she spoke and refrained from rolling her eyes. Well if it was common knowledge then it seemed like she needed to be a little more careful with where she went and with whom she associated herself. Either way, it wouldn't take a genius to see Airi in the streets, recognise her, and try to cause trouble. It may have started with a simple theft but it could get into something worse. How hard would it be to siphon more money from the young woman? Perhaps this was merely a test as to exactly what they could get away with... Next time Airi came in it could be as a result of something much worse. Framed for a robbery perhaps? Arson charges? The officer in Lin worked hard to make connections and imagine the worst possible scenario because, more often than not, the worst case also happened to be the likely one.

Still, there was one thing that was useful at least. Airi knew she had a memory condition. That was something as it meant people would look out for her, even if some might want to use her to their own devices. Even if she forgot the small things once in a while it wouldn't be difficult to get her into a situation where she might end up being framed... or worse she might be manipulated enough to actually commit the crime.

Clenching her jaw at what she was about to do, Lin closed the file and got to her feet.
"Right. A warning will suffice. I will look into this further. My request is that you pay the woman and apologise to her in the meantime."
Lin paused and lingered a moment, looking at the woman. Eyes narrowed slightly, features softened for a brief moment.
"I know you're an adult but be careful. Republic City is changing and the people in it too. Be on your guard."

Lin had her work cut out for her if she wanted to assuage her concerns and confirm or deny her current suspicions. With all that had been happening recently, it was becoming tougher to focus on what was happening to the average Republic City citizen. Lin loathed this and it was part of the reason for the rumblings throughout the city. Lin nodded to Airi and walked to the wall, pausing a moment before she bended the metal to either side and stepped out into the corridor.
"Make sure she gets home," Lin spoke to the officer and then walked towards her office to finish the paperwork.

As soon as she had time, she would look into the matter personally. Lin's free time was usually spent in such a manner because none of her time was ever truly her own.
This user is a guest