The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Constructive Cultural Vandalism

Anonymous
Jul 7, 2012 14:32:34 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 7, 2012 14:32:34 GMT -6

I guess you could call it the Artistic Revolution.

My character, Kim Cuong, is a young talented artist who thinks that beauty is being undermined by the need and rush of industrialization, of modernization. She thinks that traditions being forgotten is a huge mistake, and that invaluable pieces of art or historical items - like Waterbending scrolls - being kept for the ones with the most money, but least use, is an insult... or something along those lines. So basically, she would love to remind people of what art truly is...

By shoving it into their faces. Finding a picture - painting, drawing, photograph - and reproducing it on the face of a building, reenacting bending performances in the middle of the streets, or making crop circles with ancient calligraphy, making sculptures of the people that history may have forgotten and flooding doorsteps with them, etc. Just to remind people that THIS or THAT used to mean a great deal to some people, to those who created it, or even to those who were there at the time or are familiar with it. And teaching those willing the ancient artistic crafts. All to be lead from the back of several workshops within the city.

Join her !!... Or oppose her, as you wish. *bows*
This user is a former member
zabercarth
Jul 19, 2012 9:52:26 GMT -6

Post by zabercarth on Jul 19, 2012 9:52:26 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Oooh this sounds fantastic! My character is a culturally minded firebender who would be very interested and willing to assist with something like this. The "bending demonstrations in streets" most especially, as he loves traditional firebending forms and wishes knowledge of bending traditions was more widespread. Count me in if you get this off the ground, or even if you don't.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jul 19, 2012 13:32:00 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 19, 2012 13:32:00 GMT -6

This is really interesting idea. Jing has a very artistic side, which he usually taps into through fashion. But there's much more that he could use it for, and this would be great. Although, will it be a problem for him to join if his taste in fashion tends to be modern? Or must all his art be towards the old?

If you want to actually do this, you can count Jing in. This would be perfect for him to get started in the city. He could sew traditional clothing for the members, make cloth banners with any design on them, or just participate in public bending displays.
Anonymous
Jul 19, 2012 18:51:25 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 19, 2012 18:51:25 GMT -6

Wow, thanks for the interest guys. Your inputs will definitely be valuable.

To answer your question, Jing, it's not a problem that his fashion taste is modern since the goal is to basically remind people that art exists. And there is no real traditional fashion in the Earth Kingdom - none that I can think of at the moment, anyway, except maybe Kyoshi.

I was thinking covert tactics, hit and run - or rather draw and run - stuff so I don't know about the banners. They may be too conspicuous... but the outfits idea is good. ^^
Anonymous
Jul 20, 2012 3:58:38 GMT -6 via the ProBoards App

Post by Deleted on Jul 20, 2012 3:58:38 GMT -6

Well, we could always hang banners on the sides of buildings at night, hit and run style. But I understand where you're coming from. Vandalism in the name of art is a pretty awesome concept.

The traditional outfits could be from anywhere, though. But since you said it doesn't have to be old, there could be sort of an avant-garde meets traditional style to the clothes. Reaffirming art in the past, and art in the present.
Anonymous
Jul 20, 2012 11:27:22 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 20, 2012 11:27:22 GMT -6

I'm cool with this. ^^

I'm currently involved in a Republic City RP so we'll have to make this meetup in a Personal RP. That way we can have some planning done ICly. And whenever we're all ready, we hit the RC threads and start culturing the streets to the ground.

Anyone else willing to join is more than welcome !
Anonymous
Jul 20, 2012 15:56:06 GMT -6 via the ProBoards App

Post by Deleted on Jul 20, 2012 15:56:06 GMT -6

joychmi Avatar
I'm currently involved in a Republic City RP so we'll have to make this meetup in a Personal RP. That way we can have some planning done ICly.

Alright! You make the thread and I'll post as soon as I can. But I'm kinda new so I'm not sure how this works. We can RP in RC with other people while in the Personal RP, right? Or is that still part of the "Liquid Time" rule?
zabercarth
Jul 20, 2012 20:12:26 GMT -6

Post by zabercarth on Jul 20, 2012 20:12:26 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Same question as above. I'm looking forward to it, I'm very excited for RPing.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jul 20, 2012 20:19:26 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 20, 2012 20:19:26 GMT -6

XD I was certain I had replied to this before I did the probending. Anyway, it's indeed possible to be in both RC and Personal RP with one character. The same thing goes for the probending arena, players and spectators alike.

I have a couple more posts to make, and then I can take care of starting ours. But it won't be before a few hours, I need to enjoy the rest of my night with some deep sleep ^^ *bows*
Last edit by Deleted: Jul 20, 2012 20:19:50 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 20, 2012 21:46:21 GMT -6 via the ProBoards App

Post by Deleted on Jul 20, 2012 21:46:21 GMT -6

I too need some good sleepy time, so there is definitely no rush. Just give us a heads up when you've got it going.
zabercarth
Jul 20, 2012 22:31:19 GMT -6

Post by zabercarth on Jul 20, 2012 22:31:19 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Looks like I'm the only insomniac present at the moment! Looking forward to seeing this in the morning.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jul 21, 2012 5:55:49 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 21, 2012 5:55:49 GMT -6

....Kay so, my mother is forcing me to paint today - it's already afternoon here, I overslept - so I guess you'll only get to see it all in your afternoon, that is my evening/night. Sorry for the delay >.> *bows*

EDIT: I apologize again. Painting has wiped me out, and for some reason I found myself posting a lot more than I had intended. In the end, I'm in the same situation as yesterday. But this time, I make it a promise - an oath - you will have your thread posted tomorrow, soon as I wake up !!... probably soon as you go to sleep.
Last edit by Deleted: Jul 21, 2012 16:43:20 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 22, 2012 23:10:11 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 22, 2012 23:10:11 GMT -6

joychmi Avatar
I guess you could call it the Artistic Revolution.

My character, Kim Cuong, is a young talented artist who thinks that beauty is being undermined by the need and rush of industrialization, of modernization. She thinks that traditions being forgotten is a huge mistake, and that invaluable pieces of art or historical items - like Waterbending scrolls - being kept for the ones with the most money, but least use, is an insult... or something along those lines. So basically, she would love to remind people of what art truly is...

By shoving it into their faces. Finding a picture - painting, drawing, photograph - and reproducing it on the face of a building, reenacting bending performances in the middle of the streets, or making crop circles with ancient calligraphy, making sculptures of the people that history may have forgotten and flooding doorsteps with them, etc. Just to remind people that THIS or THAT used to mean a great deal to some people, to those who created it, or even to those who were there at the time or are familiar with it. And teaching those willing the ancient artistic crafts. All to be lead from the back of several workshops within the city.

Join her !!... Or oppose her, as you wish. *bows*

...how come I have never noticed this thread? I think Fukui could get involved depending on the direction our personal RP takes. just my thoughts anyhoo.

~Tenoko~
Anonymous
Jul 24, 2012 15:34:20 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 24, 2012 15:34:20 GMT -6

Well, you are more than welcome to this. Whenever you want. I'll just edit the thread title to be CCV invite friendly.

This is awesome, I now have companions in crime of each bending discipline !! We're kinda like a gang now, so I'm open to name ideas if you feel like it. Because Constructive Cultural Vandalism is sort of a fancy and explanatory way to call it.
Anonymous
Jul 24, 2012 18:47:25 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 24, 2012 18:47:25 GMT -6

oooh. so we're almost like a triad.

for some reason, I approve.
Fukui wouldn't be too picky with the name (and I suck with names), so I'll go with the flow on that one.

~Tenoko~
Anonymous
Jul 26, 2012 4:01:21 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 26, 2012 4:01:21 GMT -6

Yeah, I was thinking about something that resembled "Dai-Li". You know, since they were - at first - the cultural authority in Ba Sing Se. So after some toying around, I found "Wǔlì yìshù" which is chinese for "Art By Force".

I find it cooler than Dai-Li, although it's a bit less... short. I'm still open to ideas. *bows*
Last edit by Deleted: Jul 26, 2012 4:02:28 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 26, 2012 9:55:05 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 26, 2012 9:55:05 GMT -6

I'm frankly not too picky. I just need to figure out when/where/how I'm going to enter the scene.
~Tenoko~
Anonymous
Aug 3, 2012 14:37:46 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 3, 2012 14:37:46 GMT -6

I need to submit an idea to everyone and know what you think about it - this is still a democracy even though I started the operation. I'm thinking about making our first strikes after the time skip... or maybe during, depending on how you understand this process. So I'd like to know if you're okay with that, and what place you think we should start with.

...I'm also thinking about trolling Central City Station by making this Earthbending-pushed wagon cross the tracks randomly and scare people. Just something I thought about that could be funny.

Anyone else willing to join this thread is welcome ! Waterbenders and Firebenders, especially !! *bows*
Anonymous
Aug 3, 2012 16:11:26 GMT -6 via the ProBoards App

Post by Deleted on Aug 3, 2012 16:11:26 GMT -6

Personally, I'm thinking we should do this after the time skip. This way, that covers our prep and planning time and we have somewhat of a deadline for when we should start posting. As for where we should start, anything is pretty okay with me. Wherever we pick, though, it should be some place that is usually bland or drab. Just a thought.

The Earthbending wagon sounds amazing, by the way. If you would like to plot that a bit, you can send me a PM. Love to scare the populace when I can :)
zabercarth
Aug 3, 2012 18:06:37 GMT -6

Post by zabercarth on Aug 3, 2012 18:06:37 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Post-time skip sounds better, I'm looking forward to awesomely stealthy RP. Personally, I'm excited. I won't be able to post til later tonight but the planning is going really well.
This user is a guest