The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Canon Question

nomics
Oct 16, 2012 2:59:42 GMT -6

Post by nomics on Oct 16, 2012 2:59:42 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
So I'm interested in playing a Canon character, but my main dilemma is that the history of this character is vastly lacking (doesn't even have a name, just a title). How much freedom is afforded in fleshing out a background for Canon characters like this??
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Oct 16, 2012 8:25:47 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 16, 2012 8:25:47 GMT -6

Until a staff answers this, perhaps I could provide a partial answer.

It strongly depends on the character you're thinking of making and how often they appear, or if they only appear once. For instance, the bouncer for the Equalist rally, he is only seen twice and in the same episode. For that, I don't think you would have any problem making a background for them. But a character like the LT., then making a background for him might be acceptable as we most likely won't see him next season. Bigger characters, of which are big to the plot, I would play it safe and not make a background for them.

I play Pema, of which we don't know much about her own family or how she came to be who she is, so I stated that the show didn't provide that information and in posts, I steer clear from subjects like that.
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 16, 2012 16:50:46 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Airi's pretty spot on. You're afforded a fair amount of freedom with minor, background characters. For example, were you to take a Fire Ferret Cosplayer, it's likely that they will only appear during the probending matches, or events involving the Fire Ferrets — therefore, any backstory information you create will likely not contradict anything canon dictates about them.

No-name characters with larger roles, for instance, like the Lieutenant, may be harder to create detailed histories for because they have a larger, plot-affecting purpose in canon.

If you decide to take a canon with an unknown / mostly unknown backstory, we ask you to keep their overall canon involvement, and any reasonable expectation of future involvement in mind when creating a history for them. We have an "Anything Else" (or maybe it's "other") section on the canon ap itself — you can use this section to explain your decisions regarding a minor character's backstory.

I hope this helps!
This user is Mod
nomics
Oct 17, 2012 8:30:42 GMT -6

Post by nomics on Oct 17, 2012 8:30:42 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I appreciate the insight. I had developed this whole backstory and then I was like, "hold up". But thanks for the clarification, I'll have a profile up soon.
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 17, 2012 16:45:14 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
No problem! Good luck. :]
This user is Mod