The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Non-benders in Rep City Police?

melisandre
Sept 27, 2012 8:36:14 GMT -6

Post by melisandre on Sept 27, 2012 8:36:14 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Hi! So, I'm thinking about making a non-bender police officer. I have two questions:
1. Would that work at all?

2. I'm trying to determine the possible range of duties she could perform if the answer to the above is 'yes'. I understand that street patrol/combat is out of the question. But I suppose that a wide range of administrative duties would be available. Evidence cataloguing, requisitions, taking statements, receiving reports about incidents, damage assessment and various other paperwork. You'd hardly need a metalbender for those. About other things, I'm not so certain. Crime scene investigation perhaps? Picking through the rubble after the benders are done wrecking stuff? Canvasing the neighbourhood, interrogating non-benders (given the current sentiments, maybe people would be more inclined to talk to non-bending members of the force)?

Keep in mind, I don't intend for her to do ALL those things. I have some very rough ideas and I'm trying to establish some kind of a framework for developing this character. So, comments? Suggestions? Refusals?
This user is a guest

Post by Gia on Sept 27, 2012 13:46:25 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
1. I don't see why not. If they accept non-Earthbenders for those kind of jobs, I don't see why they wouldn't take a non-bender for them.

2. At first thought, I don't see why she couldn't do any of that. After all, as you said, Metalbenders aren't needed for any of that, and in fact, bending isn't necessary for any of that, either.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Sept 27, 2012 13:46:54 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 27, 2012 15:51:13 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
So far, the only distinction we've made is that you can't do active-duty police work, or anything that might stem from being a "beat officer" first (such as becoming a detective or investigator). Our information about the Police so far is limited, so for some areas we are using real-world rules: if they would require police training to be promoted or assigned a task, then they need to be at least an earthbender, likely a metal bender.
This user is Mod
melisandre
Sept 28, 2012 6:15:44 GMT -6

Post by melisandre on Sept 28, 2012 6:15:44 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Okay, thanks. Just wanted to make sure. I will apply common sense & logic then. Shouldn't be that hard :D
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 28, 2012 15:48:33 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
No problem! :]
This user is Mod