The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Feeling a little genderbent

jiggyt35
Aug 3, 2012 0:49:42 GMT -6

Post by jiggyt35 on Aug 3, 2012 0:49:42 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
So this is the first time I can remember that I've ever rp'ed as a male character, and (as I'm a girl) it can feel a little awkward at times. I feel like I can't make a convincing post because I have never been a boy before! It's not just the frame of mind that the character is in, but it's the physical body too, I feel like I just don't know what to do in a guy's body. I find myself making Niko do things that I would do, and then second guessing myself.

Does any one have any tips for me and everyone else who tackles a character of the opposite gender? Does any one else feel the same way?
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Aug 3, 2012 1:03:34 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Firstly, I think you're referring to physical sex. Sex and gender are two different things! Sex = physical, gender = personal identification. That is why there are transgender, transsexual, and non-binary people: because gender identity is how you feel, not what genitals you have.

"Knowing what to do in a guy's body" is, inherently, no different from a "girl's" body. The biology might be a little different for a CIS male (a person whose given sex and personal gender identity are both 'male'), so you likely wouldn't be talking about a period or anything of the sort, but there are no activities that are strictly "boy" or "girl".

I think the most important thing to realise when playing a character of a different sex or gender than yourself is that it is okay to do what you think is in character for them, even if it is not a stereotypical behaviour for that sex/gender. If you think "Niko" would think a dress is very pretty and silky soft, that is okay! There is nothing wrong with that. If "Niko" is more stereotypically "male", that is okay too! Remember, personality isn't dictated by what genitals you do or do not have between your legs. :]
This user is Mod
Last edit: Aug 3, 2012 1:04:59 GMT -6
Anonymous
Aug 3, 2012 14:18:03 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 3, 2012 14:18:03 GMT -6

Oh, Kami. I don't know why, but I found that highly amusing and informing. XD just wanted to put that out there.

I agree with Kami on what she said, like the difference with sex and gender, but I also see a sexual attraction as a big thing when playing any character. For example, a male that is heterosexual, might find certain traits more attractive than others. When you think of it, you are your character. You're writing about, not only what they think, say and do, but what they see, feel and smell.

I would put a bit into (if the male character is interacting with a girl he might like) that he pays attention to any traits he might like. Just follow with words where his eyes lead.

Another example, my character Yuuta isn't a visual person. He finds attraction in actions, not appearance. Such as making tea the way he likes it, conversing in a way he enjoys. He's rather stubborn and grumpy so I exaggerate it when he's thinking to himself.

Hope that helps a bit xD
This user is a former member
jiggyt35
Aug 3, 2012 19:21:52 GMT -6

Post by jiggyt35 on Aug 3, 2012 19:21:52 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
hm... very informative, Kami! I had never really thought about the difference between sex and gender, most people just use them interchangeably. I use to think that playing off of sexual attraction was something you'd do strictly in a romance thread, but years of experience being a teenager myself has made me see that our actions in almost every situation are influenced by the traits we may find appealing in the other person. I guess that's just human nature, and what everyone strives for is to let their characters be human.
And I really like what you said Airi, "follow with words where his eyes lead." Very helpful!
This user is a guest