The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Have We Met? [tag: Tenzin]

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 28, 2012 4:54:41 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
She had overslept. Again.

The small hammer on her alarm clock had worked futilly yet another morning, attempting to rouse her from her slumber. She had returned to the Island late the night before, spending more time than she had intended with Hangetsu. It was so easy to lose track of time with him; he made her feel so comfortable, so at ease, and — dare she say it? — so loved.

With a groan, she slammed her hand on the device, opening a bleary eye to check how far she'd cut into her morning ritual, squinting to see without her glasses. With a little gasp, she scrambled out of bed - she had ten minutes to get to the library, and had missed breakfast entirely.

The tall woman struggled into her robes single-handedly, trying to brush her teeth with the other, almost falling over in the process. She banged her knee into the sink, then wound up nearly poking her eye out with her brush as she tried to braid her hair. It wound up being sloppier than usual (and that was saying something), strands of loose hair framing her face.

With a quick once-over at her robes to make sure they weren't on backwards — or worse, inside-out — she grabbed her scribing kit and hurried out of her room with five minutes to spare. I can make it, she thought worriedly, if I walk really quickly.

She rounded the corner, and slammed hard into something — someone. Her glasses smooshed into her face, and she gave a little cry of pain as she stumbled backward, clutching the bridge of her nose where the nosepiece had pressed in. She dropped her supplies, and let out a groan of dismay. She'd never be on time now.

"Excuse me!" She rubbed her nose under her glasses. Nothing hurt more than having glasses pushed into one's face. She picked up her things, then readjusted her large, wire-framed spectacles to her face so she could look at whomever it was she had just run into. Whoever it was, they had to be fairly tall considering how tall she-—

"Master Tenzin!" Ren squeaked in shock, her mouth falling open. She bowed hastily. "I am so sorry!"

The serene joy from the night before all but ebbed away. This was not going to be her day, it seemed.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Sept 28, 2012 7:38:26 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 28, 2012 7:38:26 GMT -6

Tenzin had been making his morning rounds around the Temple, ensuring that everything was in working order. He loved his morning strolls, as they were generally one of the more peaceful times of his day. Before his Council time, before the children awoke, before much of anything, really.

So it was that he rounded a corner, lost in his own little world and was nearly taken from his feet by somebody nearly as tall as he was. A little airbending kept him from the fall and he looked to see who it was that was in such a hurry.

Mostly grey hair, pale skin, from what he could see, glasses, nd of course the height...oh yes, he remembered now.

"Good morning Ren." he said, only slightly preturbed by the sudden stop both had come to. "On your way to the library, no doubt?" Tenzin tried to ensure that he knew where each of the Air Acolytes had been assigned, not that Ren had bothered much. He knew from the moment she had come to the Temple that she would be most at home in the Library and he didn't want her to feel any more out of place than he absolutely had to.

The Temple's Master simply looked around. He was still making sure that things that needed to be done were. He poignantly ignored the fact that any time spent here would make the Acolyte late to her duties. Anybody who had a problem wouldn't much care once they were informed that Tenzin himself had kept her.
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Sept 28, 2012 7:39:54 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 29, 2012 17:46:44 GMT -6

She flushed scarlet, both in embarassment and pleasure at having such a person remember her name. And talking to her. Goodness.

"Yes, the library," she managed to squeak out, still in a bow. "I am sorry I ran into you!" She straightened a little, checking her bag to make sure none of her ink had spilled (it hadn't). She bowed again. "I'm so sorry," the woman repeated, feeling tongue-tied and completely wrong-footed. How did one address such a person? She was no one special, had nothing wise or beneficial to offer the master. All of her knowledge paled in comparison to his; she was just writing his teachings — passed on from his father to him, then from him to a senior acolyte — in a book. Her "airbending" training (if it could be called such, considering she wasn't a bender of any sort) was going... well, not poorly, but she didn't much have an aptitude for fighting.

Ren bowed again, the strands of loose hair cascading to frame her face. "If you'll excuse me..." she tried to move past him. Just then, the strap on her satchel broke, spilling the contents of her scribing kit on the bamboo floors. Calligraphy brushes went rolling every which way, the tome she had been working on thudded loudly to the ground, and — horror of horrors! — her ink bottle broke, sending ink splattering all across the floor.

Her jaw dropped in disbelief and mortification as she watched everything fall, seemingly in slow motion. Feeling like her legs were lead, she tried to catch something — there, the ink bottle! — and failed. The glass slipped through her fingers, landing with a high-pitched crash.

She stood there for a few moments, frozen in her failure to catch the bottle. This just wasn't happening! The feeling went out in her knees, and she sank to the floor, her fists balled in her lap.

"I'm so sorry." Her voice was no louder than a whisper.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 1, 2012 10:09:56 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 1, 2012 10:09:56 GMT -6

A finger idly scratched at his chin as the young woman spoke. "It's of no consequence. When there is a corner, there is a chance of finding somebody around the bend." He stepped out of her way as she seemed to be in such a drastic hurry. A frown briefly touched his lips, briefly because after but two steps the hallway went from mostly silent to cacophonous.

The airbenders eyes took in several of the objects all at once. He managed to use a short puff of air to cushion the book, not wanting any damage to come to the spine. It wouldn't prevent the large tome from hitting the ground, but it would hopefully be enough to prevent any untoward damage. The calligraphy brushes he managed to swipe up in a small whirlwind. It wasn't until after he had caused the wind that he hoped all of the brushes were dry and undamaged.

The ink would be much more difficult to deal with. Some had already soaked into the pores of the floor. There would likely be a stain here for some time. "Don't worry about the floor. We can always put a rug down." A smile was directed at the Acolyte. "It's okay, Acolyte Ren. Accidents happen. If they could be prevented they wouldn't be called accidents." His voice was soothing and his demeanor was set in an attempt to comfort her. It wouldn't do if she spent the entirety of her day concerned of a little fumble that had happened this early in the day. It wouldn't be the first time that a mess had been made in the Air Temple. His children were usually the cause of it though.

Tenzin helped her as best he could and walked with her. He was sincerely hoping that his presence wasn't particularly offsetting for the younger woman. It wasn't everyday that an Acolyte literally ran into the Master of the Temple "So tell me, Ren, have you been keeping up with your studies and teachings? Airbending techniques are both simple in design and complex in philosophy. I would, of course, be more than happy to answer any question you may have while we walk."
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 28, 2012 21:27:47 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 28, 2012 22:34:34 GMT -6

Her lower lip wibbled, despite Tenzin's reassurances. A big, ugly ink blotch on the hall floor! Forever a reminder that she had crashed into one of the most important people in the city. Or ever, really. Meekly, she gathered up the rest of her things, sidestepping the spilled ink. She gave Tenzin a little bow, and began to wake shamefacedly to the library.

So tell me, Ren, have you been keeping up with your studies and teachings

Much to her surprise, he was following her. She started, staring at him with wide eyes magnified a little by her glasses. "Ah!" She felt embarrassingly wrong-footed, and the grey-haired woman struggled to find words.

"I have been enjoying the scribing duties in the library," she offered shyly, keeping her eyes on her feet. "It's fascinating to learn about the history of the Air Nomads, and the training techniques the Monks once used!" She struggled to keep ahold of her now-broken bag, the itch to gesticulate difficult to quell.

She looked up — up! How novel! — at Tenzin, and offered a small little smile. "I haven't been doing so well during the bending techniques though," she admitted. "I'm not so ... coordinated. And I have been busy."

The moment the words were out of her mouth she wished she could gobble them back up again. She was busy? Did she literally just tell the man responsible for her housing and livelihood that she had been busy, too busy to focus on the thing she was supposed to be doing? The heat crept back up her neck and onto her face, and Ren wanted to sink into the floor like the ink she had spilled.

"Thatistosay--!" the younger woman hastily began, "I haven't been neglecting... I mean, it's not that I've been... I just... I had a date..."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 13, 2012 13:38:37 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 13, 2012 13:38:37 GMT -6

Tenzin's smile broadened. The fact that there were those that understood the writings and teaching, if not the actual application, pleased him. He placed his hands behind his back as they strolled and allowed his eyes to wander about as they did so. The training facility on the grounds, those acolytes who were going about morning cleaning duties, and a variety of other things. He was certain that at one point he had seen one of his children running across the yard but that was typical this time of day.

"I'm glad that you are finding the scribing to be to your liking!" He turned his gaze back to Ren. "It will take many people like you to ensure that the teachings are passed down." A chuckled escaped him as he continued. "As for the physical application of these teachings, I wouldn't be worried over much. Those that may be clumsy of foot can just as often be deft of mind." His brow furrowed somewhat, however, when she stated that she had been busy. It hurt him that the Acolytes would find something that they thought more important that the teachings of his Father's...no his, people.

"I had a date..."

With her words his thoughts were laid to rest. There was no harm in pursuing love. "Ah. Love. A masterful excuse if there was one. However, Acolyte Ren, please see that this does not solely take up your time. The teachings of the Air Nomads have their place as well, and I hope that you would not forsake them over a date on a consistent basis." He nodded in greeting at another passing Acolyte.

He could tell that she was obviously flustered over what she considered a slip of the tongue, though he wasn't entirely certain what she had to be flustered about. The Airbending Master spotted the rising blush and chuckled inwardly to himself. "Be at ease. Tell me what you find to be the principle or principles of my people that you find the most interesting? Likewise if you have any questions regarding studies feel free to ask. I would be more than happy to answer what I can."

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 15, 2012 6:21:08 GMT -6

She nodded at the slight reprimand. Yes, she had been getting a little too absorbed with Hangetsu as of late, neglecting her duties. This wasn't the first time she had been late because of their budding relationship, but she needed to try and make sure that it was her last.

Tenzin told her to be at ease, which was easy enough for him to say! He wasn't the one standing next to one of the most important people in the entire city — no, the world! She was just a nobody (not that she minded), so relaxing was just definitely not an option.

But then Tenzin asked her what she found interesting about Air Nomad culture.

"Oh, just everything," she breathed, unable to hide the excitement in her voice. "The philosophy of peace is especially interesting, considering that the monks also train to fight. It shows that peace is not weakness, is not spinelessness, but rather an ideal that deserves to be defended. That pacifism is not the same as passivity." Keeping ahold of her broken back was now proving incredibly difficult. "Even the form of bending itself, this circle-walking, is in clear demonstration of this philosophy. It's defensive, but not passive. It's flexible, calming, but still respected. That you can go from one point to another without sacrificing the end result if you're willing to adjust to whatever comes your way. It is the ultimate zen."

She was a little breathless when she finished talking, a little smile on her face. "It is a most uplifting philosophy, Sifu."
This user is Mod