The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

The Marketplace II

Post by Gia on Aug 12, 2012 20:57:21 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
The Marketplace is a busy trade centre, mainly for foodstuffs merchants peddling their wares. There are fish markets, produce markets, and meat markets, for whatever catches your fancy. It can get a little ... ripe ... here, so hold your nose!

[ OOC: This is a non-canon location. Please put your location at the top of your post. ]

[Time Frame Note: Korra has joined Tarlok's task force]

Previous Thread
This user is Mod
Last edit: Aug 26, 2012 18:26:26 GMT -6
Anonymous
Aug 26, 2012 15:17:06 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 26, 2012 15:17:06 GMT -6

tag: Jin

*A Fisherman's Stand*

The good old stench of fresh fish having been caught, still carrying with it the perfume of the sea that had nurtured it, was filling the air around those stands. Some of them seemed to have been sliced open, others were still wiggling in some tiny pool of water that was just big enough for it not to die. And then there were the other kind of sea food that was hard to come by in these seas, such as the octopi, or even the fish that couldn't be found in the seas and had to be sought after in rivers. Zheiji had probably never tried eating that in his life.

But being here was making him feel a bit nostalgic, and he was resminiscing about his time in the Navy. Back then, they would definitely eat a lot of fish. And also get sick from food poisoning because the cook sometimes had to make do with what he had. In any case, it was taking him back. The old Firebender leant his plump figure over the wiggling green catfish in its pool of water. Seeing it in such a pitiful state of agony almost made him sad about considering eating it for dinner. But the fisherman came over and began talking about how hard it really was to catch these things, since they were actually 'smartass creatures' - the use of that word surprised Zheiji.

Feeling kind of amused, the elder made a mental note of buying it after looking at the other fish. His newfound curiosity for the fish that were being displayed seemed to be a perfect subject of conversation, although he seemed to have trouble understanding everything the fisherman was telling him. It was still better conversation than the guys back at the power plant, nothing could bring his mood down more than that... And yet, perhaps it was exactly because of this, but he thought that this fisherman was a bit too loud with his fishing stories.

"You talk too much." He eventually said "I'll take the green one that's afraid of dying, over there." The fisherman nodded with a slightly upset face, then picked up the fish. "That annoying one ? It's perfect for you... I wonder when you're gonna choke on what I sell you." He replied while grabbing the cleaver and setting the poor catfish on a large plate. Zheiji raised an eyebrow, almost in surprise that the younger man who was all excited about his fishing a moment ago had turned all sarcastic and annoyed. Had his old age stopped being an excuse ? "You're a hundred years too young to fish something that'll kill me." He replied with a smile.

He handed some yuans to the fisherman, in return for the beheaded green fish in a bag. "I'll see you tomorrow again, then. Keep it stinky, huh ?" The old man said, waving at the younger man, who simply sighed and rolled his eyes, frown up and hands in the air... Man, was it funny to play senile. How many months had it been since he first met that guy ? Ever since he'd first started selling at that Marketplace, Zheiji had found it entertaining to ask about the fish all the time. Then again, it was probably the best fresh fish in the city, so he had to keep being on familiar terms with the fisherman.

In any case, tonight, he was going to eat a good fish for dinner.
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Aug 26, 2012 15:17:57 GMT -6
Anonymous
Sept 27, 2012 14:14:25 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 27, 2012 14:14:25 GMT -6

Amongst the Stalls and Shops
[TAG: Zombi]

Kwan couldn't help but smile at the people he was surrounded by. These people truly knew how to live as they attempted to get the passers-by to buy anything from fish to baubles for their current beau. It was an energy that was unmatched anywhere else in Republic City, with the exception of the Probending Arena perhaps.

Often he found himself waving to a familiar face as he passed. Some of those faces he knew personally, others simply knew him. The young plant worker made his way carefully through the throng. He didn't have to, necessarily, as he was easily big enough that people would move out of his way, but he just didn't want to inconvenience anybody. He was there on leisure, after all, and there were people around him that had business to attend to.

He pivoted on a heel and arched his back to avoid a bustling little old lady who simply seemed to not even see him. The firebender's rich amber eyes rolled goodnaturedly as he wondered what it was that drove the little lady to move so quickly on a beautiful Saturday morning. After all, the weekends were the only time that Kwan could actually take time out and enjoy himself.

He spotted one of his co-workers and slid on over beside him. He stood there several seconds as he pretended to peruse some of the more cleverly crafted necklaces that the shopkeep was apparently fond of making. He made no move to acknowledge the fellow who had lifted what appeared to be a necklace of hemp and admiring some of the smaller jewels set along it.

It wasn't until the fellow started and greeted him that Kwan grinned broadly and clapped him warmly on the shoulder. "Just thought I'd pop in a moment and give you a warm greeting. Well, maybe slightly cooler than work, but a warm one none-the-less." His grin played all throughout his facial features and appeared completely natural. In fact, it would have been downright strange to not see one on his face. "I hope that she's a special lady to deserve that necklace though!" He had heard from the fellow last night at one of the local jazz bars that he was thinking of proposing to a girl. Kwan had convinced to wait a little longer than six months before considering such a jump.

"A small, but reasonably thoughtful gift, should be something you should consider first. Show her you care without actually showing her that you 'need' her. It may come off as a bit overbearing. Especially so soon." That had been the advice the younger man had offered over the sound of a trilling trumpet.

With another brief pat on the shoulder he turned and strode away, head still turned toward his coworker as he spoke. "Hey, Kiwan, I'll see you when the weekend's over, eh?" As he turned to actually watch where he's going he felt an almost imperceptable bump into his chest.

Oh crud...I've just run over some little old lady, or a kid, or... he turned golden eyes downward and reeled inwardly. A smaller man, boy almost, was at his feet. Whatever bundles he'd been carrying strewn about him. Oh Avatar's Beard... he thought to himself. What a gorgeous boy... his thoughts wandered of their own accord.

The crowd simply moved around them, either oblivious or apathetic to the two males. As he plastered a genuine apologetic smile on his face the broader male profferred a heavily muscled and lightly scarred arm down. "I'm so sorry about that. That was incredibly clumsy and downright rude of me."
Last edit: Sept 28, 2012 1:32:19 GMT -6
Anonymous
Sept 27, 2012 19:48:41 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 27, 2012 19:48:41 GMT -6

[tag: Ryari]

Shopping day. Shtiya had made his way to the market early that morning, telling Mr. Choi that he'd take the day off in order to purchase supplies for the apothecary as well as supplies for his own use — namely food. He needed a new shirt, too, and had been saving for a while to purchase one. He wanted something with nice long sleeves so he could leave his arms unwrapped in peace from time to time. He'd already spent time getting new cottons and bandaging materials, which he'd delivered back to be put away, and taken a list of herbs Mr. Choi wanted back. Since he had taken care of the bulk of the clinic shopping, Shtiya was focusing on his own personal shopping. Vegetables, fruits, some bread, maybe a bit of dried meat... he had a list for the cupboard. So far he'd managed to gather up root vegetables, the type that kept well, herbs for cooking, and a parcel of dried meat that would also keep well. As a slim and petite young man, Shtiya didn't eat all that much. He ate more than enough for his own good, but he was a small guy!

He'd just been staring at produce in a stall, weighing his need for spicy peppers with his need for good seaweed. Honestly, the seaweed would come in much more handy... he cooked with it so often it was really a staple. Sighing over the peppers, he picked up a good quantity of thick, leathery seaweed, the type that he could use in soup stocks. He wished he could frivolously purchase whatever he liked, but he couldn't afford to waste anything. Produce could go badly quickly if he wasn't careful, and he spent a lot of nights at the clinic, working late. So, nonperishables and root vegetables it was. Turning around with his parcels, he ran straight into a rather solid person.

That's what he got for not looking. Shtiya bent immediately to pick up his parcels, apologizing as he did so. "I'm s-so sorry!" he stammered, "I w-w-wasn't looking where I was g-going, was I?"

"I'm so sorry about that. That was incredibly clumsy and downright rude of me."

What? But — Shtiya was the one who hadn't been looking where he was going, right? Looking up, the Waterbender brushed inky hair out of his eyes. My, this young man was... muscular. Trying not to stare at the young man's very bronzed physique, Shtiya smiled. "It's my f-fault," he said. Judging by the look of this young man, he was a Firebender for sure. Shtiya decided to focus on his things and bent back down, gathering them all back up. Luckily nothing had come unwrapped or spilled. Slender brown fingers gathered the parcels and swept them into a navy blue bag, carefully sorting things and putting particular ones on top of others. Shtiya was a very neat and organized person, very particular about almost everything.
Anonymous
Sept 28, 2012 7:13:01 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 28, 2012 7:13:01 GMT -6

When the younger man didn't take his hand Kwan knelt there in the street with him and attempted to help him gather his things. He handed them back to the slim waterbender with no particular order or even a semblance of one.

"Nonsense, I'm bigger than polarbear dog and definitely not as graceful as one of those penguins." His eyes wandered to ensure that nothing had been ruined. It would be just his luck that something the slender-limbed healer had spent his money on would now be in a state of not being able to be used.

"I'm usually much more watchful, and mindful, of where I turn this barn of a body." Kwan smiled up, hoping to catch a glimpse of eyes. In the meantime, he would settle for commiting the rest of Shtiya's form to memory. The hair, the slender fingers, the way in which he held himself, though the latter was a bit off considering they were both kneeling in the middle of the market.

He thought inwardly to himself for a moment as he watched nimble fingers organise the contents of the satchel. If you ask him to lunch he might go for it. That would give you a much better chance to get to know him, and perhaps sate your curiosity. Of course he could think that you're a bit of a creep or a weirdo. And he sees the way you're looking at him... Amber eyes flicked back up to the street around them to ensure that nothing untoward was about to bustle over the top of the two of them. ...well, at least there's plenty other things to look at. Hopefully he doesn't think you were oggling. Now, are you great oaf, "are you going to invite him to lunch?"

It was several seconds before the firebender had realised that his last several words had been thought aloud. Oops... His mind raced and he wondered how he was going to recover from that little slip up. One finger idly scratched at a bearded cheek. "Err...yeah...so..." the bigger man hoped his beard hid the rising flush of his neck and cheeks. Well that's embarrassing.
Last edit by Deleted: Sept 28, 2012 7:14:07 GMT -6
Anonymous
Sept 29, 2012 0:12:50 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 29, 2012 0:12:50 GMT -6

[TAG: Ryarii]

"O-- oh it's all r-right," Shtiya said, trying to take things from the man's large hands in as much of an order as he could muster. He seemed a bit flustered by it all really, trying to quickly sort things as they were handed over willy-nilly. "I can g-g-g-get it." He laughed nervously, feeling the man's eyes on him. Likely he was wondering if Shtiya was a boy or a girl. People often couldn't figure it out at first glance because he was so petite. His inky hair was coming loose from its mostly-neat tail and it got into his eyes. Impatiently, Shtiya brushed it back with one hand.

"are you going to invite him to lunch?"

Oh? Was this person suggesting Shtiya owed him? Chewing his lip, the slim Waterbender pondered his options. Obviously he couldn't say no to this person — such a large figure could clearly crush him with little to no effort, and he wasn't much of a fighter anyway. And it was entirely his fault for blindly going off into traffic without looking. But he'd been saving up for his shopping for a while, and he really did want a new shirt... Distress flashed in his blue eyes as his mind raced with thought. He ought to, oughtn't he?

Maybe after this experience he'd be more careful. Then he wouldn't lose money again. Feeling a bit depressed about the perceived loss of his new shirt, Shtiya slowly and carefully stacked things into his bag. "Th-there's a nice place just down the street," he said, feeling resigned. Brushing the piece of his hair back again, he rubbed one bandaged wrist and looked down the road. "I'll just —" well, no. He had no reason to finish shopping now. Who knew what amount of food such a large young man could put away? Shtiya would probably be lucky if he could cover the whole bill at all.
Anonymous
Oct 10, 2012 15:27:50 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 10, 2012 15:27:50 GMT -6

Kwan had watched the other closely, trying to ensure he wasn't hurt and just making a show out of it. It was a look of distress that crossed those gorgeous blue orbs that Kwan realised perhaps Shtiya thought he was being bullied into something he didn't want to do. Had the firebender's physical appearance once more ruined a social interaction for him before it had even truly gotten started.

"Th-there's a nice place just down the street,"

The sound of the younger's voice nearly broke the hulking city worker's heart. It was true! He thought Kwan was a street tough or some such! Forcibly getting a meal off of some innocent bystander!"Oh...Great! I'll treat!" That was a narrowly avoided faux pas, Kwan. The burly firebender smiled his second best smile and stood slowly, offering the slimmer man a hand up. "Really! I'm so sorry! I usually watch where I'm going! I was just distracted by a friend and..." He tried to keep his voice quiet, though it came out as a bit of a rumbling bee. He scrubbed his opposite hand through his hair and looked around. "...You know what, it doesn't matter why I ran into you. It was my fault and I'm sorry." He bowed at the waist, hand held diagonally across his chest. When he righted himself he extended it toward the frailer bender. His tone changed to a more sincere and less flustered one. "Please, allow me to make it up to you by buying you lunch?" He thought for sure that his inner dialogue was painted plainly across his features and he continued to mentally kick himself for overthinking yet another situation.

He tried to appear as unoppresive as possible, whic mostly consisted of a slight slump in his shoulders and his, usually, disarming smile. "Um...of course I'd be more than willing to accompany you if you had more shopping. I could even help carry things, or...I don't know. Whatever you may happen to need me for. I'm useful in a pinch. Unless it's a fight...I'm pretty much only useful as a punching bag at that point..." Idiot! Why would you say something like that?! You're going to scare the guy and then where will you be? His amber eyes took on a somewhat confused look and the blush crept up his cheeks a little further. Of course, if you continue to stand here looking like a dumbstruck mule he's probably just going to think that you're a simpleton, just like everybody else seems to. Instead of offering any more words, he stood there, arm extended to the bandage-clad waterbender in the hopes that he'd take it simply so that Kwan could feel skin contact.

Kwan...that's just a creepy thought. He mentally rolled his eyes at the voice in his head and tried to maintain eye-contact without being an overwhelming presence.
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 28, 2012 19:47:43 GMT -6
Anonymous
Oct 24, 2012 22:32:09 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 24, 2012 22:32:09 GMT -6

[TAG: Ryari]

He'd treat? Feeling a bit confused, the young healer took another moment to survey the man in front of him. His training taught him to watch body language and listen to cues in people's speech. This young man's speech suggested that he was nervous, and perhaps a bit lonely. The slump in his shoulders to lessen his height signaled that he was used to people finding him oppressive, and, more importantly, that it bothered him. The Waterbender didn't think that the other man was hard on the eyes at all. Surely people found him attractive more than frightening?

After a moment of thought, Shtiya smiled. "I'd love to," he said, the sentence coming out clear as a bell. When he was confident, the stammer presented itself a little less. "And don't worry about it." He understood the hidden meaning behind Kwan's extended arm and took it for a moment to pull himself entirely upright before letting go. Shtiya was quite short in comparison! It was almost laughable. Brushing a strand of hair out of his eyes, he sighed. "I w-w-was after a shirt," he said. "You d-don't mind, do you? I p-promise it won't take long." He'd just buy whatever seemed simplest. While Shtiya loved pretty, new clothing, he felt that he couldn't afford the extravagance of it. Simple whites, blacks, and blues were best — easy to care for, inexpensive, commonplace.

The young man blushed and Shtiya shifted his packages, finding a comfortable place for everything. "Shtiya," he said, after a moment. "My name is Shtiya. And.. you are?"

The two of them headed for a clothing shop, where the Waterbender gazed longingly at a new-style, deep green shirt before sighing and picking out the cheapest, plainest one they had. He paid for it and rolled it up, tucking it into his bag carefully. Since Kwan wasn't familiar with the area, the healer decided to take the reins and lead them both to a small restaurant. The place wasn't very expensive, but it did seem to be just the type of family-style food that was always a city's best-kept secret.

((Sorry for the lag. You can move us to restaurants with your reply!))