The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Zones in pro-bending?

kgal
Jun 27, 2012 12:40:08 GMT -6

Post by kgal on Jun 27, 2012 12:40:08 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
As we've seen in the show, sometimes players can be pushed back two zones or even straight into the water. However, currently the only way to be pushed back is to get a d.roll of 5 below the opponent's a.roll, or a d.roll of 1.

And since the rounds are only two posts per person, it's unlikely that anyone will be pushed off the ring, even though it happens quite frequently in the show matches, and even less likely for teams to advance.

I was wondering maybe if we could make it so that d.rolls 10 lower than the a.roll will push the player back two zones? And then a d.roll of 15 lower would knock them out of the ring?

EDIT: I just had another thought. Perhaps rolls of 20 should have more benefits, and rolls of 1 more drawbacks. Like in d$d, an a.roll of 1 could be a critical miss, maybe an attack that veers away towards the stands, completely missing, or even hitting a teammate on accident, or forcing the character to get in the way of their teammates.

And then like a.rolls of 20 are an automatic hit and can push the player back a zone, while d.rolls of 20 don't harm the defender at all. Idk something like that.

Is that feasible or would that be just too complicated for the ruleset?
This user is a guest
Last edit by kgal: Jun 27, 2012 14:05:18 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 27, 2012 22:31:53 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
It's feasable, but we want to make it as uncomplicated as possible. While there are some people who play D&D here, we want to be open for people who don't and that's a little complicated. It's already complicated enough, it seems, since I have had to mod a couple of times about dice rolls. :]
This user is Mod
azn
Jun 28, 2012 8:45:13 GMT -6

Post by azn on Jun 28, 2012 8:45:13 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
hmm.. I would have to agree with Yuriko on at least increasing the possibility of zone control. If every 5 point-difference for a zone is too complicated, perhaps lowering the minimum difference for a hit to turn into a zone-pushing hit (maybe 3?).

I don't think 20's should be an auto-hit though, by dice-based rules a defensive roll of 20 would win the draw. Maybe a 20 lets you RP a super-extravagant attack.
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 28, 2012 8:52:22 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
We'll see what we can do with zone control and auto-hits. I'm keeping an eye on the thread to see what we can modify to make the game a bit more cohesive.
This user is Mod