The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

starting a new chapter (anhyue)

Anonymous
Jul 11, 2012 18:17:49 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 11, 2012 18:17:49 GMT -6

Life seemed to be fairly regular for Yuuta as of lately, in a very predictable schedule. Everyday he looked forward to his working schedule, breaks and meals like it was a ritual he couldn't disobey. Even changing locations seemed to be regular for each landlord or roommate would wish him gone within a week because he -and he quotes- "reflects bad on the people around him". He really didn't mind constantly moving; it meant he didn't have to become used to the other person's habits or quirks. However, always searching for the next place always took up a big chunk of his time that he would rather be spent somewhere else, doing something else.

With his few possessions packed into a cardboard box, he set off for the next place. He had met some woman at a tea shop during one of his breaks -to tell the truth, she was quite annoying and asked way too many questions- who offered him a place at her friend's apartment for rent. Surprisingly enough, it was pretty cheap if you compared it with it's location and size, so he couldn't pass down the offer.

Yuuta pulled out a paper from his pocket with a sigh. The woman's handwriting was so messy and the instructions to the stupid apartment were so poorly written, he was afraid he'd end up sleeping in the streets tonight merely because he couldn't find his way there. Next time he's searching for the next place in a less risky way.

Finally at the foot of the door to his next temporary home, he knocked three times, each one louder than the last.
This user is a former member
Anonymous
Jul 11, 2012 22:48:59 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 11, 2012 22:48:59 GMT -6

It was another one of those mornings. Yawning and stretching out on her couch, half awake, and half dressed, Shuai watched the hands on her clock move at a painstakingly slow pace. The clock was mounted on the kitchen wall above the ice box that Tuyen had purchased when they'd first moved into their two bedroom apartment. That was what, three years ago? Four? Rolling onto her stomach the firebender stuffed her face into one of her lumpy, navy blue pillows and groaned. How long was this guy going to take?

A few days ago...[/i]

"So you think he's alright? Because I don't have time to deal with creepy people Tu."

"He's alright," Tuyen grumbled. "I mean he seems a little distant and to himself, but I figured that was what you wanted. And he did answer all of my questions politely. Well, politely enough."

"If you say so," Shu-shu shrugged reaching for another piece of her sauteed chicken. "So what does he look like? And when am I expecting him?"

This is all Tuyen's fault, her mind hissed. And it probably was the editor's fault. She had the crappiest penmanship Shuai had ever seen and her ex-roommate had mentioned something about writing out the directions for, what was his name? Yuuta? And if that wasn't bad enough the streets in the Dragon Flats District were quite confusing and some of the street signs were so tarnished that it made them difficult to read. Moaning to no one but herself Shu-shu rolled off of her couch and dragged herself into the bathroom. Preparing herself for the lights she shielded her eyes with her arm, flicked them on, then moved at a snail's pace toward the sink. Grabbing her hairbrush she eyed herself in the mirror and frowned. Talk about a bad hair day, her mind chuckled. The least I can do is look somewhat presentable, she thought as she dragged the brush through her shoulder length hair. This brunette wasn't looking to be outdone in appearance by a man.

Once she had decided that her hair was tame and presentable, and after brushing her teeth, the yellow eyed woman sulked out of the bathroom and into her bedroom. The sight of her light green painted walls forced a smile onto her caramel colored face. Making a left she stopped in front of her closet and slid the doors open. All she needed was a pair of pants seeing as how she was already wearing a burgundy, long sleeved shirt. Deciding on a pair of dark brown trousers she quickly slipped them on then jumped at the sound of someone pounding at the downstairs door. Ugh, he's going to wake the neighbors. Rushing past her bed she stepped out onto her balcony and leaned over the chipped wooden railing. "I'll be right down!" she called trying to sound as pleasant as possible. Turning on her heels Shuai ran toward her door, unlocked it, turned left, then descended two flights of squeaky stairs. Before opening the door she tossed her hair back behind her shoulders and quickly adorned her warmest smile. Here goes nothing.

Opening the door she was suddenly overcome by the color green and found herself speechless. He has nice eyes, I'll give him that, her mind grunted as it slowly recovered from that unexpected blow. "Hiya...Yuuta," Shuai muttered making the greeting sound more like a question than an excited hello. "I'm Shuai, Tuyen's friend. Welcome." Moving aside she allowed him some space to step inside then slowly shut the door behind him. "It's a walk-up, sorry." But at least it didn't look like he had a lot of possessions. One cardboard box and that seemed to be it. Thank goodness, the firebender secretly sighed pleased that there would be no possibility of making two trips. "The building has three apartments," she quickly piped up. "The landlord lives down here on the first floor, and he occupies the whole thing with his wife and two kids. We're apartment 2B. 2A is rented out by some photographer. She lives by herself, but she's pretty nice. Follow me."

Stepping ahead of him she led Yuuta up the two flights of stairs, made a right and then entered the second door on the right of the tan colored hallway. "This is it," she announced unaware of if Yuuta was listening or not. "There are some closets on the right if you'd like to take your shoes off or whatever." Barefoot and comfortable in her surroundings Shu-shu made her way back to the couch and took a seat. Oh damn, she thought standing up immediately. Where are my manners? "Would you like some tea? Or maybe some water?"
Last edit by Deleted: Jul 12, 2012 2:19:40 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 12, 2012 0:34:20 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 12, 2012 0:34:20 GMT -6

Wow was the only word Yuuta's brain could wrack up when the door opened, showing a girl about his age looking at him like she saw a talking dog. He watched as her yellow eyes widened for a moment before returning to normal. For a moment, he hoped that this wasn't going to be a complete sell-out and waste of his time, but then she began to talk- or to be more specific- she muttered. He didn't instantly hate people that spoke softly or had different ways of speaking, but he hated having to ask people to repeat themselves. It was a never ending cycle of people talking softly, asking them to repeat it and them only repeating it the same way. Nothing would be accomplished at all if he couldn't hear them. Then again, he realized it might be a nice thing if he didn't have to listen to other people.

Following her gesture, he took a few steps inside the complex, trying to tune out her. Shuia's topic of conversation seemed to be focused on making him feel welcome, introducing him to the place he would stay, though he knew she'd want him gone in a few days. Maybe he could keep his mouth shut, instead, so he could stay. It was a pretty nice rent after all and it was possible he could grow accustomed to getting to know someone but when she mentioned the fact she lived on the second story of the building his hopes dropped. Did the woman he had spoken to a while back not seen his cane or thought he used it to look fancy or fashionable? He took in a deep breath, until it filled every inch of his lungs and let it all go to keep him relaxed. Sadly, it didn't help all that much.

The ragged-haired girl quickly bounced up the steps while Yuuta pulled out his cane from the box. He put it in there to hold the box with both hands on the way here and to hold the poorly written instructions. Sure, it hurt to walk without it but that he could deal with. Going up the stairs was a different matter altogether. He held the box with his right arm and his hip while he used his cane in the other hand too keep the weight off his bad leg. Each step up the damned stairs sent a small shock through his bones and he knew it was nothing to compare if he didn't have his cane, but he wasn't going to be too fond of having to walk up a flight of stairs every morning and night.

The apartment itself was pretty nice. It had plenty of space and was evenly laid out, but his eyes instantly went to the faults in the room. The kitchen wasn't up to his standard of clean, the sofa looked horrible and there was dust in places only he would go and look for, yet it would still bother him. "This is a nice place," he told her, though he only thought it was nice in comparison to the other places he's stayed at. Instantly, he heads off to his room. It isn't too bad with it being fully furnished and with plenty of space. Hm, he could really see himself managing to live her well with his herbal medicine books in one corner and his small set of clothes in the closet.

"Tea," Yuuta responded after he set down his box, also leaving the cane behind. "Mint would be nice, if you have any." He limped his way towards the sofa, taking a seat as soon as he could. His leg was killing him thanks to that long walk and the trip up the stairs, but he would be fine for the moment. At least it wasn't threatening to give out under him just yet.

"You're friend tells me you work two jobs," he said, deciding to return the gesture of being polite by making small-chat. "I do as well; I'm in an apprenticeship for herbal studies and work at a warehouse."
Anonymous
Jul 12, 2012 12:02:41 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 12, 2012 12:02:41 GMT -6

Standing she watched him as he slowly moved about the apartment and it wasn't until he had reached his room that Shuai noticed the cane in his hand. A cane? she thought feeling surprised at her own shock. With his back turned to her Shu-shu knitted her brows together and clenched her teeth. Tuyen said nothing about a cane. And quite frankly that didn't surprise the firebender. Her brown eyed friend had a knack of skipping over important details. Like a cane! her mind exclaimed. People and canes usually didn't agree with a two flight walk-up apartment. He's going to leave, she thought somewhat upset by the fact but also partially annoyed. And why does he have a cane anyway? He's like my age. She knew that sounded ridiculous because anybody at any age could walk with a cane, especially if they were given it due to some sort of accident.

Toying with her feather earring Shuai jumped into action when Yuuta announced that he would like a cup of tea, mint to be exact. Opening the cupboard above her sink Shu-shu reached for her tin box filled with mint leaves. Laying them down on top of the counter she quickly filled her teapot with water then set it on the stove to boil. With a grimace she noticed the pile of unwashed dishes in her sink. Way to tidy up, her mind scoffed. She wasn't usually this untidy. She had just forgotten to take care of it when she arrived home this morning from work. Excuse me if I needed a few hours rest. With her back to the couch it was the firebender's ears that caught the sound of the movement behind her. When Shuai heard the sound of the couch sagging slightly beneath Yuuta's weight she relaxed her shoulders and slowly rolled her neck from right to left. She was glad that he was making himself comfortable. Spirits knew he needed to relax that leg of his. I'm going to have a little chat with Tuyen the next time I see her, she thought bitterly, and I'm going to remind her that I had asked her to tell me everything about my new roommate, canes included.

It was almost ironic how the second Shuai had allowed herself to think of Tuyen at that same moment Yuuta had decided to bring her up. Listening with her back turned she was pleased to know that her new roommate was a hard working man and not a bum. The rent would be paid. She was intrigued about his apprenticeship, mainly because she knew squat about herbs except for how to mix them nicely into meals. The firebender was a chef after all. "That's really neat," she said as she moved over to the cupboard above the ice box and opened it retrieving a tea cup and saucer for Yuuta. Taking the mint leaves she placed them into the cup before lifting the tea pot that was now whistling and pouring the steaming water into it. Placing the cup onto the saucer she sashayed forward from the kitchen and placed everything down onto a low table that stood a good two or three steps away from the couch. Moving the table forward carefully so that Yuuta could reach his drink she finally plopped down onto the opposite end of the couch and flashed him a warm smile.

"I'm a telephone operator and chef," she announced with a hint of pride in her voice. "I took on the chef position to help pay for my rent since I was living on my own for a couple of weeks. I think I might stick with it, but I'm still not sure yet."

Running her fingers over her earring she quickly glanced over at what would become Yuuta's bedroom then back at the ebony haired man. "Do you like the room?" she asked her voice more anxious than usual. "If you don't like the color of the walls we can always repaint them. The landlord isn't too iffy about that kind of stuff."
Anonymous
Jul 12, 2012 14:37:43 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 12, 2012 14:37:43 GMT -6

Yuuta's green eyes scanned the room once more while he sat on the couch, picking out more faults in the room with each passing second. It took more control than he would have thought to stop judging his new, temporary 'home'. He tried to focus his attention on his leg, massaging the damaged muscle with the palms of his hands to relax it. It didn't actually do much to help him, but the circling motion kept his mind busy for the moment until the woman began to talk, responding to his plain words as she prepared his beverage.

"Thanks," he said simply. Neat? Sure, you could describe his jobs with that word, though it wasn't a very fitting description. His apprenticeship was always a new challenge, testing his knowledge everyday whereas his job at the warehouse was just taking inventory and making sure none of the traveling goods had been injured or ruined. It, to this day, has been the most annoying job he's ever taken up because he had to go through every last item and check it thoroughly. At the same time, it was a pretty nice job. The pay wasn't too bad and the endless repetition allowed his mind to wander back at his apprenticeship and review what he knows.

Oh, she was a chef and a phone operator? Those were both interesting choices in jobs especially since she told him that she took the job a chef to help pay the rent. For him, he would hate having to work as a phone operator, day in and day out. The idea of cooking, instead, sounded a bit more adventurous, though all he knew how to cook was noodles, if you didn't count herbal remedies.

"Having a few extra yuans is never a bad thing," he told her as he reached forward to grab his tea. He grimaced at his first sip of the drink. The tea wasn't bad, by his standards, but he liked his tea stronger than she had made it and he couldn't expect her to know that yet. Yes, he could left the mint leaves sit longer in the warm water, but he found that crushed leaves provided the best flavor compared to a whole leaf. They had just met, after all so he couldn't expect her to learn right away. If she didn't, though, that would be a big problem.

Shuia brought up his room and Yuuta couldn't help but notice her tone of voice, making her sound like his room was a dire situation that needed to be addressed first. "It's fine. I don't mind the color," he said, knowing that he'd be gone soon anyways and that a differently painted room wouldn't be a benefit to him or anyone else.

Silence filled the room when he didn't know what else to say. He returned to the weak-flavored tea, bringing the tea up to his lips for a few more sips. "How often do you clean?" he said before he could think of what he was going to say. "Would you mind if I moved around a few things in my time off?"
Anonymous
Jul 12, 2012 22:30:41 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 12, 2012 22:30:41 GMT -6

Something about Yuuta screamed finicky, immaculate. Words that Shuai sometimes disliked labeling people with, especially almost roommates. The firebender couldn't quite put her finger on what had forced her to think of those words, but when Yuuta grimaced after taking a sip of her tea the brunette suddenly found a place to rest her digit. So, she didn't make great tea. Actually, she made great tea that he didn't like. To that Shuai answered with a silent OH WELL. How was she supposed to know how he liked his tea? She had just met the guy for spirits sake. The least he could have done was smile and pretended that he liked the drink. Considerate people played pretend all the time. Guess he's not that either, her mind snorted.

Biting her lip she forced herself to calm down as she waited for Yuuta to answer her question about his bedroom. Surprisingly enough he liked it and had no problem with the color. That pleased her. It was one last thing that she had to worry about. Things that she needed to worry about included: her laundry, going to the bank, paying her rent, and going to sleep. Shu-shu was sure that there was more that she could add to her list but she was too busy watching Yuuta to think of anything else. An eerie silence filled the air between them. Shifting a bit uncomfortably in her seat Shuai tried to run through a list of things in her head that she needed to discuss with Yuuta, like her work hours and her roommate code of conduct and what not.

”How often do you clean? Would you mind if I moved around a few things in my time off?”

She wanted nothing more than to stand and curse Yuuta out. Who was he to wave a finger at her? This was her home, which she kept clean thank you very much. So there were some dirty dishes in the sink, it was not the end of the world. And dust in certain places, certain crevices could not be helped. Every home had dust, period. Strangely enough Shuai remained impassive on the couch, her expression giving nothing of the anger that was boiling in her core away. “I clean,” she started locking her yellow gaze onto Yuuta’s emerald orbs, “almost every week if I'm not too tired. You can move whatever you like so long as you put it back, obviously, but you can’t touch anything in my room. I’m going to go ahead and guess that the same rule applies to your room.”

Leaning forward on the couch she paused to take a breath then continued. “Since you mentioned time off I think I’ll take this opportunity to talk to you about my work schedule. On the weekdays I work from nine in the evening until five in the morning. So, you’ll pretty much have the apartment to yourself every night. Weekends, I work from twelve in the afternoon until four in the afternoon. And that’s about it for me.”

Rubbing her freckled cheek with her hand she slowly leaned back into the couch. “What about you?”
Last edit by Deleted: Jul 12, 2012 22:43:06 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 13, 2012 0:00:16 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 13, 2012 0:00:16 GMT -6

Yuuta set down his cup of tea on it's saucer with a 'clink on the table that had sharp corners, a trait he never liked on tables. A strange quirk, he knew, but for good reasons nonetheless. Ever since his little accident with the darned satomoblie as a child, he found that counters or tables with sharp corners were a giant pain. When you bumped into them, not only could they knock you off balance (something he was not good at recovering from), but bruise whatever it hit. At least the table looked stable enough that it wouldn't break down if he set something heavier than a tea cup on it.

So she cleaned this quaint apartment every week (he could only assume that to be once a week, fairly unfit depending on how long she cleaned) if she wasn't tired? How fickle did that sound for someone with two jobs? The thought of it did not please or put him at ease one bit. Yes, he knew exactly his first order of business was going to be here, otherwise each little detail would drive him insane. Of course, he's not a perfectionist, but he's the closest thing to it. Already with a disability, he was afraid for his health after finding out what his mother was suffering from. A dirty household was just too much of a danger for him, in his mind.

"Yes, it will," he replied. There wasn't going to be any reason he would traverse into her room. Though he wasn't always nice, he was a gentleman in one way or another. He wouldn't verbalize bad or negative remarks (he would, though, hint at things of certain natures) nor would he try to put someone down, but the more physical things such as giving up a seat, opening the door for someone or helping them carry things were always out of the question for obvious reasons. If he ever had to explain why to someone, they weren't worth his time. In this situation, he knew his place. This was her home and he was merely renting a room, but that also didn't mean he had to suck up to her.

Shuai's schedule seemed to be simple enough, though he wasn't a big fan on how she addressed him. The tone in her voice was so passive and factual, not that he minded it, but those kinds of things spoke volumes compared to her previous tones. Had he struck a nerve about offering to clean up? Oh dear. However, knowing he would have the nights to himself was a rather pleasing thought, he deciding to forget his previous thoughts. At least he knew he wouldn't have to deal with any of her sleeping habits. One roommate he had snored like a satomobile's engine.

"Tuesday through Sunday, I work from five in the evening until ten in the evening at the warehouse. Everyday, I work fickle hours in my apprenticeship, though they tend to be around noon," Yuuta told her, sitting up straight as he noticed her decline into the couch.

"If that is all," he begins, pushing himself up with the help of the arm rest of the couch, "I will be in my room, unpacking my belongings. Thank you for the tea." The black haired man walked towards his room, hoping that she wouldn't bother him with anything trivial. He pulled out his few articles of clothing, instantly hanging them in the closet and sheets and a pillow for his bed. However, his books laid in his box without a home. There was no bookcase here, not like he expected one, but it was always a problem.

"I could just put them in closet," he said as he reached down to pick them up, taking two in each arm. His walk back to the closet wasn't a very pleasant one for him. Ever since he walked up those stairs, it had become slightly more painful to walk without his cane. This problem would go away in time, of course, but when he managed to trip over his own two feet, he knew that he needed to take a rest.

His books, scattered around him after the fall, laid open creasing the spines of them. Yuuta encountered almost the same response from his fall. He laid on the floor of his new room face forward, his arms out in front of him, barely managing to keep his face off the floor and his bad leg slightly twisted.
Last edit by Deleted: Jul 13, 2012 0:07:17 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 14, 2012 17:10:32 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 14, 2012 17:10:32 GMT -6

Shu-shu relaxed when Yuuta reassured her that they would respect each others bedrooms. It was important to at least get that one rule across, it being the biggest and most important rule. A bedroom was someones personal space, their secret lair, and somewhere they disappeared to when they needed to escape from the world. It didn't bother Shuai that Yuuta wanted to clean, in fact she considered it a bonus to have a neat roommate. So long as he stuck to cleaning every room but her bedroom the firebender figured they'd get along swimmingly. They were grown ups after all and could take care of their personal spaces themselves.

Watching Yuuta from her sunken position in the couch Shu-shu listened politely as her roommate described his work and apprenticeship hours to her. It looked as if they would be seeing very little of each other, unless of course Shuai decided to hold off from sleep like she had this morning. The weekends weren't too bad, and if she did decide to leave the restaurant then she'd have a lot of free time on her hands, but who knew if that would even happen anyway. Shuai raised a hidden eyebrow as Yuuta slowly lifted himself off of the couch. He excused himself telling her that he would be in his room unpacking his belongings and curtly thanked her for the tea before moving on. "You're welcome," she said with a little more emotion in her tone of voice. Waiting until he had fully entered his room, Shuai lifted herself from the couch grabbing his tea cup and saucer on her way up.

For a moment Shuai stood still and drank in the images of her apartment. From now on things would be different. It wouldn't be just her occupying these spaces. There would be more dishes in the sink, more jackets taking up space in the closest by the front door. She shuddered a bit while wondering what it would be like to share a bathroom with a man. The thought freaked her out but she pushed it aside figuring that Yuuta was most likely the cleanest guy in the whole borough. Maybe this is a bad idea, she thought biting at the inside of her cheek. What if she couldn't live with a man? She had become so accustomed to sharing this place with a woman that the idea of sharing with a man seemed almost impossible. What if we can't get along? What if some of my habits annoy him? I don't want to have to go through this whole process again, ugh.

Removing herself from her thoughts Shu-shu decided it best to leave those questions unanswered. Besides, she wouldn't get her answers until later after having lived with him for more than a couple of minutes. Shaking her head she jolted herself awake and quickly moved into her kitchen. She was about to place the tea cup and saucer into the sink when she heard a loud thud from Yuuta's room. Losing her concentration because of the noise the firebender's hands fell short of the sink and the tea cup and saucer plummeted toward the dark, wooden floor and shattered on impact. Jumping back she winced as she stepped onto a few sharp pieces of china. Cursing herself for being barefoot she ignored her injures and instead rushed into Yuuta's room. Her face became pale with worry as she gazed upon Yuuta, his books sprawled out on the floor in front of him. Her stomach clenched at the sight of his twisted leg and moving without speaking she collected his books quickly and placed them on his nightstand. Moving back to him she grimaced as a few sharp stings ran up her feet.

Again she ignored her feet focusing her steady yellow gaze on Yuuta's face instead. "I'm going to put your arms on my shoulders Yuuta and help you up, okay?" Not waiting for an answer she got down on her knees and lowered her chest to the floor so that their cheeks were almost touching. Moving carefully she slung each of his arms over her shoulders and held them in place with her hands. "On three we'll move, okay? Here we go. One, two, three..."
Last edit by Deleted: Jul 17, 2012 20:59:19 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 14, 2012 18:49:20 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 14, 2012 18:49:20 GMT -6

The man laying lamely on the floor heard something break and proceeded to check his body by flexing muscles and wiggling his digits. Nothing was broken in his body, so it had to be something from the kitchen. On second inspection of the noise, he realized it sounded more docile. Was that his teacup? Had she been cleaning it? Great. He was going to be sharing an apartment with a klutz; just his luck. But then, something odd (to him, at least) happened: she entered his room.

He really hadn't expected Shuai to come in and help him at all. He focused on the teacup, imagining it shattered on the ground- a possible hazard. His leg was nothing to worry about, or what it caused him to do. He was used to falling, though he was grateful that it on a nice floor rather than the ground outside. Thankfully, the woman went straight to helping him instead of asking trivial questions such as: "are you okay?", "what happened?" and "what can I do to help?". In truth, this was nothing for him, so even her helping him was considered trivial in his book.

"Sure," he replied, surprised that he didn't sound as indifferent as he felt. He waits for her mark before using his good leg to help him up, though most of the work was done by his new roommate. Finally on his feet -foot, actually, as he tried not to put any weight on his left leg- he let go of Shuai and used the wall as support instead. "Thank you," he said, simply because of the gesture, though it wasn't needed. Maybe he would manage to stay here longer than the others, but he couldn't quite be sure seeing as she might not want a male roommate- entirely understandable.

Yuuta sighs, letting himself lean against the wall like it was a bed when something caught his eye. "Shuai," he says calmly so not to alarm her, "your foot is bleeding." Had she stepped on the broken teacup or whatever it was? "Here, take a seat on, uh, my bed," he told her as reached to grab his cane, a little annoyed at his own leg. "Please, sit," he suggests, putting a hand on her shoulder and subtly pushing her in the direction of his bed. "I'll be right back."

The apprentice limped off, feeling his leg was irritated from its collapse earlier. He could easily clean the wound if she had a few simple items laying around. Going towards the kitchen, he noticed that it was indeed his teacup that was shattered on the floor. Avoiding the broken china, he grabbed a cleaning cloth, a bowl of warm water and a a bit of salt. Quickly, he went back to his room and eased himself onto the floor so he could work on her foot.

"Stay still; this is going to hurt a bit," he told her, placing his items on the ground. The first thing he did was mix the salt with the warm water, but then focused back on her foot and began to pick out the sharp pieces of glass at gently as possible. Despite his rather peevish personality, when he started to do thing, it was like he completely transformed.

Before long, the glass was out and without out that in the way, the blood began to flow and he began to disinfect it with the warm salt water. "This is going to sting a bit," he told her. It takes a while, but he managed to clean it and stop the bleeding. Unlike at his teacher's shop, he didn't have anything to cover the wound with, so it seemed like that was all he was going to be able to do.

"I'll pay for the broken teacup," he offered. It was most likely his fault, startling her with his fall. "I'll even buy some better tea," he said, allowing himself to smile for a fraction of a second.
Anonymous
Jul 18, 2012 16:10:46 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 18, 2012 16:10:46 GMT -6

Lifting Yuuta to his feet was definitely challenging. The man had the body of an earthbender and it wasn't until Shuai had elevated his body to a certain height that Yuuta was able to use his good leg to help support some of his weight. Once the herbalist was on his sturdy leg and supporting himself with the help of his bedroom wall Shuai sighed and released her bottom lip from between her teeth. She had been biting down on her lip in order to stifle the yelps that had threatened to escape from her mouth due to the weight that she had had to place on her feet. The stings were becoming almost unbearable, but she was determined to leave his room with a grin on her face. She didn't want him to know about the broken china or her feet. He'd probably call her a klutz or something and she wasn't in the mood to argue anymore. What she needed was sleep.

The firebender smiled at Yuuta's thanks, though she was a little taken aback by his kindness. This wasn't exactly the grumpy man that had just been sitting on her couch. About to exit the room Shu-shu stopped when Yuuta said her name. He pronounced it rather calmly and that made her wonder if she had said or done something wrong. That can't be possible, you only just helped him up. Gripping her earring as she turned to face him, her face almost went blank when she listened to the words that came out of his mouth. Oh boy, I just bled all over his floor. Kill me now spirits. She wanted to apologize right then and there but Yuuta halted her by suggesting she sit on his bed. "But I, uhh..." she protested as he reached for his cane. Unfortunately, he wasn't having it. Placing his hand on her shoulder Yuuta gently pushed the chef forward and onto his bed. Someones pushy, her mind teased.

Positioning herself comfortably at the edge of his bed she mumbled a soft, "Okay," as Yuuta limped out of his room with a promise to return shortly. With him gone Shuai scanned the room with her straw colored eyes. A wave of relief crashed over her when she noticed only a few droplets of blood scattered across the dark, wooden floor. The firebender knew she could clean those up in a jiffy with a warm rag. Yuuta returned shortly with what Shuai recognized as a bowl of water, some salt, and a washcloth. She was impressed that he had been able to find what he needed. Quickly, she braced herself for the agony to come. A muffled groan vibrated against her closed mouth as Yuuta removed the first piece of glass. Tossing her head back she gazed up at the ceiling before shutting her eyes and grimacing as another sting of pain rippled through her body. If you think this is bad, her mind chuckled, just imagine what childbirth is like.

It wasn't long before the glass was out of her feet. She felt her toes become a little chilly and figured it was because of the blood that was rushing out of the cuts. Breathing a little unevenly Shuai leaned her head forward and inhaled sharply when Yuuta applied the salty washcloth to her wounds. The worst was finally over. Loosening her grip on the edge of the bed she felt her shoulders relax and welcomed a slouch to her spine. When Yuuta spoke a small frown crept along her lips. He didn't have to offer to pay for the teacup. It wasn't his fault she dropped it. She should have been more careful. He then offered to buy her better tea and the comment would have rubbed her the wrong way if it wasn't for that quick smile he let spread across his face.

"Excuse me," she said playfully, smiling down and gazing into his green eyes. "But that tea is top notch. I bring it home from the restaurant I work at. Maybe you just have bad taste." Boy did she hope that Yuuta understood that she was just having a little fun. "And don't worry about the tea cup," she quickly added. "I'll take care of that. And thank you for fixing up my feet" She gazed at her feet for a few seconds before saying, "Are they okay to walk on, or should I crawl to the kitchen? I don't want to ruin the work you just did on'em." She didn't want to admit it but she was beginning to feel a bit weird about sitting on his bed in his room. They had just spoken about personal space and here she was invading his area. Don't forget to clean the blood on the floor, her mind reminded her.
Last edit by Deleted: Jul 18, 2012 21:39:10 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 18, 2012 18:38:47 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 18, 2012 18:38:47 GMT -6

Yuuta was glad that the girl was not squeamish or hard to work with. One person couldn't imagine how often he got kicked dealing with things like this, often ending up with a bloodied nose he had to deal with. When he began to clean the cuts, he noticed her body relax immensely. Had the glass shards really hurt her that bad? Judging from the amount of blood, it wasn't a surprise that it would hurt, though he hadn't seen any sign of pain in her before that. Perhaps she didn't want to seem weak infringement of a new roommate.

She denied his offer to pay for the cup and went on to talk about the tea. From her workplace, she said? No wonder it didn't taste so great. He wasn't overly fond of tea from a place that didn't specialize in tea. Even buying the leaves at the market would have been better. He almost asked her where she cooked so he can avoid it, if he ever went out for a meal but he bit his tongue, not trusting himself to keep calm. Instead, he let out a frustrated sigh and pushed himself up to stand, most of his weight on his good leg.

"You're welcome," he replied, his voice low and throaty. Yuuta wasn't the biggest fan of of teasing, sass, playing or joking around, so her words had put him a bit on edge. Especially now, since he didn't see her as an injured patient, he did not feel the need to help her. Her next question -hewas chose to ignore the last part, seeing it as a sign of disrespect- zapped him back into his helping mindset. "You may borrow my cane, if you want to keep on walking around. Otherwise, I would suggest keeping off of it, until it scabs over." The herbalist moved towards his bed, letting himself fall down on it to rest.

"Don't worry. I'm going to rest, so you can take my cane. I'll want it back in my room when you're done with it. Its better that you let it heal before you're required to go to work", he told her, swinging his legs to to the bed and rolling to his side so he was laying on the good leg. His eyelids felt heavy, from what he could only guessed be from all the energy he put out walking today.

He found himself, as he laid on his new bed, he began to let himself like this place. It seemed... different, somehow. Maybe he could last longer than a week without her kicking him out, so long as he didn't want to leave because of the stairs.
Last edit by Deleted: Jul 18, 2012 18:43:04 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 23, 2012 11:50:27 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 23, 2012 11:50:27 GMT -6

Scabs over? she thought squirming at the image. Shuai wasn't the squeamish type, but she never did enjoy the look of scabs. The thought of having them under her feet made her slightly uncomfortable, but it was a thought she could ignore. What she couldn’t ignore was Yuuta’s generosity. Letting her use his cane? Was he serious? The firebender couldn’t possibly do that. Yuuta needed that cane more than she did. Just toughen up and deal with it, her mind hissed. There were definitely bandages somewhere in her bathroom. She could use them to absorb the blood for the time being, until of course the cuts scabbed over. Pressing her toes against the cool floor she uttered a small thanks then followed Yuuta with her pale eyes. He was moving toward the opposite side of the bed. Shuai swallowed hard as her skin began to tingle. What was he doing?

The hair along her neck stood up when she felt the mattress sink behind her. Yuuta had gotten onto the bed. Gotten onto the bed…with her. This was all too strange. She had never shared a seat on a bed with a man, ever. Four years in the city and the chef had never brought a single guy home. Shu-shu wasn’t exactly sure why she hadn’t, but the urge had never hit her. She had been quite content in her bubble of an apartment with Tuyen. Her ex-roommate had boyfriend up within a year of Shuai’s arrival into the city and now Tuyen was engaged to be married. And where was Shuai? Single, living on her own, and without even a pet to keep her company. She had considered buying a cat but then thought she’d be filling some sort of single lady stereotype and gave up on the idea. Tightening her grip on the edge of the bed she scooted forward a bit in order to give Yuuta his space.

Her new roommate assured her that she could use his cane since he was so intent on taking a nap. The idea of a nap sparked her interest since she knew that a few hours of sleep would do her some good. Stretching her pink lips apart Shuai yawned as she listened to the rest of his sentence. As he finished he swung his legs onto the bed on rolled onto his side. Feeling her ears growing hot Shu-shu slowly slid herself off of the mattress and stood awkwardly. “I do have’uh long time until work. I’m sure they’ll be better by then. I think I’ll bandage’em. Thank you, and I’ll be sure to return your cane.” Moving cautiously on her tip toes Shuai retrieved his cane and limped slowly out of Yuuta’s room. Before cleaning up the mess in the kitchen the firebender wobbled over to the bathroom and bandaged each foot. When she stood she felt less unbalanced and found it much easy to walk with the bandages on. Keeping her weight off of her heels she laid Yuuta’s cane against the couch before getting down on her knees and sweeping up the shards of glass. Some of them had scratched up the floor, but from a bird’s eye view the scratches in the wood were unnoticeable.

Once that was taken care of Shuai walked toward the sink, turned on the faucet, and dampened a rag that she had grabbed from the cupboard under the sink. Once it was warm enough she turned off the faucet and moving quietly she crept back into Yuuta’s room. On her knees she wiped away the few spots of blood that her feet had left behind. To her luck none of them had hardened or stained the floor. Sneaking back out she tossed the rag into the trash and retrieved Yuuta’s cane. Clutching it to her chest the firebender tiptoed back into his room and rested it against the nightstand beside his bed. Toying with her earring as she left Shuai turned once to look at him before leaving his room for hers. Throwing herself on top of her bed she scrunched her knees up to her chest and laid on her right side so that she faced the door. Grabbing onto a pillow above her head she yawned as her eyelids became heavy with sleep. Just a nap, she thought before nodding off.
Anonymous
Jul 25, 2012 20:22:46 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 25, 2012 20:22:46 GMT -6

Shuai, so far, was an interesting roommate so far. Was he supposed to be okay with this kind of behavior? Rushing -unnessisarily, he might add- to his aid when he feel, breaking china, hurting herself so easily and -theto newest behavior so far- the embarrassment that radiated from her body as he took a seat on his own bed, in the room he was renting. The rooms, of which, they decided a the person would not go across the other person quarters. He would bring that up later, for now he was too tired to start up a conversation he knew he would loose seeing as she might justify it as an 'emergancy'insult despite the fact it hadn't been one.

Finally, she got up and left, leaving Yuuta to wait for slumber to take him away. He could hear the familiar tapping of his cane, taking it as a sign of accepting his offer. Slowly, he felt the edges of his mind comfortly melt away, the sheets of his bed feeling as welcoming as his mother's embrace, but then he snapped out of that state when he heard an annoying scrubbing sound. No blunt it was his new roommate. Had she already forgotten her request for privacy? Did the same concept apply to him now, that he could walk around willy nilly? There was going to be a serious talk later.

Finally, he was given the gift of sleep and it completely overtook him. Sadly, he no longer had dreams at night, or at least, none that he could remember. If anything, he had nightmares of getting a letter from the healer in the north saying his mother didn't make it, her sickness taking over. Thankfully, neither of those happened and he woke up refreshed and with more energy than before. The first thing he did was check his leg, pushing on the muscle around the area of injury. The center of it was the wasn't but even that part wasn't too bad. Taking a nap seemed to have helped. Usually, rest wasn't what helped it. Instead, what helped it was time. Just how long had he slept?

He took a peak out the window, hoping the light outside would give him a clue as to what time it was. Or lack there of. It was night time already! Man, he must have been really tired. He hobbled out pf his room to the kitchen, making a mental note yo buy his own food at a later point. As he poked through her wares, he tried to remember her hours for her work. Had she left? His curiosity getting the best of him, he walked to her door, knocking three times.

"Shuai? How is your foot?"he asked as cover as not to seem concerned for her sake.
Anonymous
Aug 7, 2012 16:37:27 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 7, 2012 16:37:27 GMT -6

An obnoxious honking sound swept into her room through the opened doors to her balcony and jolted Shuai awake. In somewhat of a cold sweat Shuai lifted herself upright in her bed and adjusted her eyes to the darkness that surrounded her. Turning her attention to the small pocket watch on her nightstand she leaned over to grab it and blinking her heavy lashes a couple of times she finally discerned that the time was now eight thirty. She had half an hour to get to work. With a groan she rolled out from under her sheets, which she had come to bury herself beneath during sleep.

Shu-shu had had a rather uneventful nap. Nothing visited in her sleep, no dreams or nightmares, which was odd since the firebender dreamed often. Usually they were dreams of her old home, or dreams about the father she had never met. Strangely enough, dreams of the latter were always her favorite, and they always ended on a happy note. Moving slowly she slid her bandaged feet onto the floor and winced at the short bursts of pain that ran up her heels as she lifted herself higher. Reaching her full height she wobbled over toward her lights and shielded her eyes as the electricity came on. In a few agonizing minutes she was able to dress herself for work. Her bandaged feet in ebony heels would certainly attract her fellow employees' attentions tonight, but Shu-shu was too groggy and too in pain to care.

Turning the lights out in her room she proceeded into her living room and pursued to turn on a lamp. Squinting her eyes in the dim light she gazed into Yuuta's room and was pleased to see that her new roommate was still fast asleep. With fifteen minutes left and knowing full well that she was going to be late to work tonight, the young woman decided to leave Yuuta a small note. Scribbling it onto a square sheet of paper she chose to leave it on her bed guessing that Yuuta would naturally come and look for her when he awoke. Or at least she hoped that he was smart enough to do so regardless of the 'room privacy rule.' It read:

Dear Yuuta,

Off to work. Please help yourself to anything in the kitchen (even the bad tea). I bandaged my feet, they feel a little better. Enjoy your first night. If you need to reach me...call an operator, I just might be the one who picks up. Goodnight.

Shu-shu

And with that she left.