The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Hama

kaitokatashi
Apr 16, 2009 23:53:07 GMT -6

Post by kaitokatashi on Apr 16, 2009 23:53:07 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Back and forth, back and forth…

The sound of rain provided a pseudo-backbeat for the song the old woman was humming as she swept, but no sound could have been more soothing to her than falling rain. Light from the full moon poured gently into the room, bathing portions of the floor in light distorted by the water flowing in rivulets down the windows. Hama continued humming as she swept the floor of her inn, making the room presentable to any guests that might come in; then again, she didn’t really get any business nowadays, but better safe than sorry. The white-haired woman of 80 needed to do something with her time other than play with puppets and run errands.

Suddenly, a squeaking sound caught her ear.

“Rats,” she muttered, looking around, sharp eyes keeping watch for the rodents. A flash of movement shot across the room and the broom seemed to fall slowly from her hands as she raised them, locking onto the chi flowing through the rat’s body like a koi swimming gracefully in water. It stopped in its tracks as her fingers curled wickedly, and a few motions of her hands had it doing a little dance across the floor.

“You should know better, little one,” she said with a smile creasing her wrinkled face, but it faded when she realized what she was doing. The rat squeaked in terror when it was released from her control, and her hands fell to her sides.

It didn’t used to be this way, she thought bitterly, tears welling up in her eyes. She’d been out of prison for as long as she could remember, but here she was, doing exactly what she had been doing back then.

She had to sit down as the memories came flooding back, most of them painful. She had been happy once, back in the Southern Water Tribe. There was everything she could have ever wanted in life, but all of that had been taken away from her during the Fire Nation raids. Sure, she’d been able to hold her own against the soldiers, but she could only do so much when she had eventually been the last Waterbender of the Southern Tribe. They had captured her, too, and carted her off to prison like the rest of the Waterbenders.

Hot, angry tears flowed down her cheeks as she let out a choked sob. The soldiers had done…unspeakable things to her. The memories were too painful to bear, even after all these years. Her innocence had been brutally stripped away from her like her Water Tribe clothes had been stripped away from her before she was forced into prison garb.

A grim ray of light broke through her sadness, frustration, and helplessness. She had made them pay. Oh, how she had made them pay. If it weren’t for the Fire Nation prison, she wouldn’t have discovered how to Bloodbend. Mastering the powerful Waterbending discipline, despite the fact that the Fire Nation had done everything in their power to strip her bending away from her, had been the only thing that had saved her from complete madness; it had kept her driven and focused on escaping. It had made her stronger. Even though she could only do it during a full moon, the small window of time was all she needed; after all, what else would she have done with her time in prison? Eventually, she was set free by the very guards assigned to keep her in.

They were scum, all of them. The Fire Nation had taken everything from her, and they deserved whatever they had coming to them. She had done her part in whittling the Fire Nation down from the inside, but she was only one Waterbender. It would take years before her work showed any significant results, but she would keep at it nonetheless. She had to survive any way she could.

She wiped the tears from her eyes as she heard a knock at the door; when she got up to answer it, there was an obviously Fire Nation couple standing there, soaked by the rain. She gave them a sweet smile that masked a more sinister grin.

Hello there, little puppets.
This user is a guest
Last edit by kaitokatashi: Apr 19, 2009 21:28:44 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Apr 19, 2009 21:24:51 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Thanks for the application, Kai! I'll hold off judgment for a bit, just in case any one wants to apply as well. Just a reminder to potential Hama applicants - due to Hama's bloodbending ability, we'll only be allowing long-standing members, or staff members. Thanks!
This user is Mod

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Apr 26, 2009 15:32:11 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Since no-one else has applied, I'll go ahead and judge. =]

Kai, I loved your app. It's got the right 'feel' of Hama in it for me. I loved how you touched on the fact that she's not evil, not really. I love the bitterness, and the anger, and the hate. It's a beautifully written piece, and for that, I award you this stamp:

[Note to Potential Hama Applicants: Don't let a stamp put you off! If less than 3 core staff stamps are up, the position is still open!]
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Apr 29, 2009 13:28:35 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Apr 29, 2009 13:28:35 GMT -6

Well, I guess I have waited long enough.

I liked it. Hama was as I imagined her to be. You laid out her past excellently, and you really made her out to be what I think she really is, a victim. I have to say that I loved the end, it was oh so creepy.

This user is a former member
suyami
Apr 29, 2009 19:59:47 GMT -6

Post by suyami on Apr 29, 2009 19:59:47 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Truth be told, I've never really liked to think of Hama as a victim. She doesn't show it when she appears; in the flashbacks, she always looks... like she wants vengeance. You did a good job of showing that; it was expertly handled. The only thing I would have changed was that the app made her seem a bit bipolar. As in, she's crying, and then suddenly she's all "I'm gonna kill you!". But Hama could be bipolar. She acts it. >> Creepy old lady. Anyway, overall, great app! I think you have a handle on her character.

So, for that...

Stamp 3 of 3!
This user is a guest
kaitokatashi
Apr 29, 2009 20:04:14 GMT -6

Post by kaitokatashi on Apr 29, 2009 20:04:14 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Sweet! Thanks for the awesome comments, everyone. I'm excited to explore this intriguing character. I'll lock this and move it to the accepted board.
This user is a guest