The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Open Tryouts for Katara [Post All Apps Here]

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 2, 2008 11:43:07 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Welcome, one and all, to open tryouts for the canon role of Katara! Please keep in mind the canon character application rules when you are submitting your role play sample, and be sure to include the necessary details outlined. The role of Katara is vital to TARP's plot, and as such, we are going to have a slightly higher expectation of whomever follows me. Again, I will be working closely with whomever lands this role to ensure a smooth transition.

This spot is available to ANY member with LESS than three canon characters! You will need the approval of three out of five Core Staff members to secure the role as Katara.

Remember, your post either needs to meet, or exceed, the standard I have put forth [as it's not fair to the others involved in the canon plot to get someone who cannot at least meet what they are familiar with]. Don't worry, the examples are meant for the sample only. Don't think that you have to do this all the time. None of us in the canon plot do that all the time, and we don't expect you to, either. However, for the app, though, you should at least get close.

Here are some examples of my posts as Katara - no worries, I've left out the more intimidating ones. xD

» My Katara Application - Written 01/04/07
» Romance Sample 1
» Romance Sample 2
» Role Play Excerpt - Written 02/19/08

All right! Have at it!
This user is Mod
Last edit: Dec 5, 2008 13:22:53 GMT -6
kaitokatashi
Dec 5, 2008 15:32:21 GMT -6

Post by kaitokatashi on Dec 5, 2008 15:32:21 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
OOC: A couple of notes:

1) If I do end up getting Katara, I'll drop Xin Fu as one of my canons to keep my number of canons at three.

2) I was a little unsure of how to write this, as I know that Toph isn't in the group, but I wasn't sure who else was, so I wrote it pretty generically.

Blue eyes opened slowly as Katara awoke, surprised to see that it was still night out. Quietly, she sat up and looked around; everyone else was still asleep, and she did her best to keep quiet as she got up so as to not wake anyone else. They needed their sleep.

She managed to sneak away and soon, she was sitting on top of a small cliff that overlooked a town nearby, feet dangling over the edge. It got frustrating at times…actually, it was frustrating all the time, having to stop in random placed along the countryside to avoid being captured by the Fire Nation, but it was necessary to protect the small boy traveling with them.

Aang. Who would have guessed that the only living Airbender would have been the key to saving the world? She hadn’t; at least, not when she and Sokka had first found him in the iceberg, but now, they were running for their lives from a multitude of people who wanted Aang dead to ensure the dominion of the Fire Nation. Her fingers dug into the ground at the mere thought of the Fire Nation, and why wouldn’t she be angry? Not only was the Princess of the Royal Family chasing them, but also had been the ones…

…who had killed her mother. She could feel hot tears welling up behind her eyes; ever since they had raided the Southern Water Tribe, she’d had to take care of Sokka and the village after her father left. Her hand drifted up to brush strands of chocolate-colored hair away from her neck, and her fingers closed gently around the choker around her neck, feeling the cool stone. Somehow, wearing the necklace could always help her cheer up whenever she got too depressed about the war, and she was glad that it wasn’t a bracelet or other piece of jewelry; otherwise, she might have lost it long ago.

A lone tear slid unbidden down her cheek, and she brushed it away, trying to think of something happy. She laughed softly as she thought of a few times when Sokka had been silly just for the sake of being silly, but that was her brother for you: always a goof, but always trying to get everyone to take him seriously. In all honesty, she loved him more than anyone else in the world (besides Gran Gran), but sometimes, he could be annoying. Then again, what brother wasn’t? Still, his heart was always in the right place and he had been an invaluable asset to their group.

She took a breath in through her nose and let it gently out through her mouth. Their group had been through a lot, but everything was far from being over. Aang still had things to learn, and…

Her thought train derailed as she thought of the Avatar again. Of course, she had been more than happy to come with him (although she wasn’t quite sure Sokka had been), and she was glad she had; otherwise, she might never have met Master Pakku, or found the scrolls for that matter, and she wouldn’t be even half the Waterbender she was today. Although the Waterbending Master had angered her more than anyone she’d ever met, she’d managed to prove her worth to him and now, she was more confident than ever in her bending ability.

Learning Waterbending had been quite easy for her, but figuring out how she felt about Aang…that was a completely different story. Of course, she loved him like a brother, but sometimes, she felt herself thinking that maybe that might not be the case. Through all they had been through together, she found her perception of the Airbender changing from platonic to…something else. She couldn’t quite figure it out, but it didn’t seem like she would ever get the time to. Unfortunately, this looked like one of those things that she’d need to let unfold on its own.

She sighed softy, looking through the village below her rather than at it. She sorely wished she could sleep, but taking care of their group was taking its toll in small ways, such as insomnia. The worry about Azula and Zuko, the war, and protecting Aang seemed like a heavy burden to bear considering how young she was, but she had to keep reminding herself that she’d volunteered herself to go along and help Aang learn to bend the elements.

A sudden noise made her jump, but she calmed herself when a small shape scurried up the hill’s slope to rest beside her.

“Hey, Momo,” she said, petting the top of the lemur’s head with a free hand. He made chattering noises and took a seat on the ground next to her. She sighed again, slowly losing interest in petting Momo as her thoughts drifted back to their uncertain future.

“What are we going to do, Momo?” she asked, a confused look starting to form on her face. It seemed ridiculous, talking to an animal, but right now, she didn’t have anyone else. That was another thing that frustrated her; no matter how angry she got about having to take care of everyone, she was so afraid that complaining might make her look like she was only doing it for the gratitude, and nothing could have been farther from the truth. She took care of everyone because she wanted to, but it was tiring. She was starting to understand Gran Gran’s point of view in regards to raising her and her brother, and she didn’t like it. Momo, on the other hand, looked up at her and chattered again, wrapping his small arms around hers and squeezing. Somehow, the small lemur hug made her feel better, and she smiled.

“Thanks,” she said, allowing the lemur to scurry up her arm and perch on her shoulder.

“What say we head back to camp, huh?” she asked, and Momo chattered in agreement. Quietly, she made her way back to where the group lay sleeping, and she had to stifle a laugh when she heard Sokka snoring. She crept back to where she had been sleeping and laid down again, adjusting the pile of cloth she had been using as a pillow until she was comfortable. With a soft yawn, she closed her eyes and tried to fall back asleep, welcoming the soft embrace of sleep as it wrapped around her.
This user is a guest
Last edit: Dec 6, 2008 1:50:01 GMT -6

Post by Gia on Dec 6, 2008 1:59:17 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
It's okay. We understand that you don't know about the canon plot, so this works just fine. :) Btw, I marked the OOC and seperated it from the rest of your post so it's a bit less confusing. :)

Well done, Kai. The length is very good, as it is with your canon apps, and you hinted at the multiple facets of Katara - her motherly nature, her kindess, and her temper, all in one post. Also, you hinted at her budding romance with Aang, which was nice to see.

Obviously, this is different from what To - *pauses* Toph did as Katara, but that's to be expected. You're not her, and all things considering, I think you've got Katara down pretty well.

Edit #2: STAMP removed until I make my decision.

Edit: Remember, anyone else can still apply! These are OPEN tryouts for a reason - open to all. Any others apps will be considered the same as Kai's and compared together as they come up until one is awarded 3 stamps.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Dec 6, 2008 13:39:57 GMT -6
suyami
Dec 6, 2008 13:13:10 GMT -6

Post by suyami on Dec 6, 2008 13:13:10 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
OOC: Be brutal; I’d be horrified if I had to RP with people who hated my RP’ing.

The moon’s soft light gently illuminated the grass, each individual blade sparkling with life. It had recently rained, and the very earth was lightly soaked. Katara didn’t care. She walked slowly through the field, empty except for her fellow travelers. They were cooking dinner; a special treat for her. She usually made all the food, but today, Sokka and Aang had insisted that they would be the ones to make it. Her brother had looked so pleading, and Aang so endearing that she couldn’t resist. It would probably be horrible, but she would eat it with a smile. She loved her friends that much.

The damp grass left trails of water on her bare feet, ones that clung to her tightly, as though they could sense her love of all things wet. Normally, she might have stopped to play with the dew, but she had a higher mission: to take a breather. It had been stressful for the past week or two, and she needed some space.

She reached a small stream, still running despite the cold air. It wasn’t too chilly, not yet, but the wind did have a bite to it. Katara sat on the rocks that made up the stream bed, even though the pebbles were soaked with the river-water. She let her feet dangle in the icy water, not caring about the rocks digging into her legs, and the wetness soaking into her clothes. She wouldn’t have minded even if she hadn’t been able to simply bend it all off. Water was comforting, as was the chill.

A few shouts reached her ears, and a grin stretched across her face. It was Sokka’s dulcet tones. Her brother had probably burned himself, or the rice. She heard the hiss of water hitting a hot surface, and assumed the latter.

She turned back to the water, slowly but steadily flowing on. A pebble under her hand seemed like the perfect skipping stone. She palmed it thoughtfully, and then tossed it in at an angle towards the river. It bounced three times, but then sank. Katara adjusted her position slightly, bringing her knees up to her chest.

She thoughtfully raised her hand, and lifted it, pulling a small wave out of the river, with almost no effort at all. She gently shoved it towards the other bank, watching with a smile when it crashed softly against the rocks. Inevitably, she was reminded of Aang.

Ah, Aang. He was the Avatar, and the last airbender, all in one. He’d had to grow up so fast. Katara’s hands clenched around her shins, drawing her legs closer. She hated thinking about how the boy she’d first found so long ago had been forced to become a man, at such a young age. He was, after all, only 12.

A faint blush rose on her cheeks when she thought about the moments they had shared. He may have been only twelve, but sometimes he didn’t act like it. Katara closed her eyes, picturing the boy who she used to think of as her charge. When had her feelings changed from mothering to… other sensations?

Katara swallowed, and turned her thoughts to other things. Another scream came from the campsite. It was Sokka, again. She laughed quietly. Sokka had never been good at cooking, even when back at the South Pole. He liked to think he was good at other things, like fishing, but she knew better. After all, a brother couldn’t hide faults easily from a sister. Katara loved her brother, but some of the time, he rubbed her the wrong way. Thankfully, that was the up-and-down relationship that most siblings had. In the end, though, given any chance, she would give her life for him without a thought.

Katara’s eyes hardened at the thought of all the people who’d tried to attack them. Prince Zuko, the Fire Nation, everyone else… They didn’t understand the hope Aang represented for the people. Or, they did, and they wanted to demolish that hope. Katara gazed at the river, her blue eyes iced over with determination. She would protect the people she loved with everything she had. It was her duty to them.

The sound of yelling came yet again, interspersed with clanging pots and pans. She looked just in time to see quite a few grains of rice tossed in the air. Either they were having a wedding, or a fight. She knew her friends well enough to guess which one.

She got up, bending the water off herself with admirable determination. She nimbly skirted the sharp rocks on the way back up to where they had made camp. Appa was asleep already, and Momo was busy chattering at both Sokka and Aang, who were pelting grains of rice, not at each other, but at the bright fire.

Katara stood there for a moment, hands on her hips, and a dry look of exasperation on her face. They ignored her, and continued to toss rice, laughing when it popped on contact with the flames. She noticed the pot of blackened mush next to them, supposedly the rice they had made for her. Their bag of rice was heinously split open, gushing rice like blood from a death wound.

Katara resisted the urge to sigh. Instead, she simply went to her pack, and drew out the thread and needle from the outer pocket. If they wanted any meals for the next few days, the rice bag would need to be sewn up. So caught up in their rice popping, Sokka and Aang hadn’t even noticed her. She shook her head, smiling despite her firm resolution to stay irritated. She couldn’t be angry for too long at the people she loved.

The rice bag was pretty bad, but it gave her something to do while she watched the two men in her life. Sokka’s expression was one of ecstatic surprise, while Aang’s was one of boyish glee.

Immediately, Katara’s heart melted. She couldn’t interrupt any chance Aang had of acting his age. More often than not, he had to be stoic and brave. She didn’t want to take this kid-like moment away from him. Peace and quiet were sometimes what it took to make him stronger, and if acting like a boy again made him happy, she couldn’t argue. She smiled to herself, and bent to the task of sewing up the bag with renewed fervor.

Her place in the group was already set. She was the mother, the doctor, the cook, and anything else the gang needed. Aang was the leader, but she was the voice of reason. Sometimes, she felt like being a kid again, but… well, maybe when the war was over they could go back to being the way they had been, free from the burdens of a world. Maybe. Katara looked up at Aang and her brother again, still smiling. She wouldn’t take away their fun. They needed it more than she did, and she would sacrifice anything for their happiness… even if that happiness was her own.
This user is a guest
Last edit by suyami: Dec 6, 2008 13:29:07 GMT -6

Post by Gia on Dec 6, 2008 13:33:49 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Hmm, this is going to be a difficult decision. I'm taking back my stamp that I gave to Kai for now, until I'm sure who I want to give it to.

Now, Suyami - your app is quite good. Well done, girl. You have gotten so much better than when you started. I'm shocked sometimes. You covered a different side of Katara than Kai did. You showed a more emotional side of her than Kai did, I think, but he covered more aspects of her. They're both Katara - just not the same Katara.

*thinks* This is difficult. I'm going to go eat and debate it, I'll be back. Until then, well done, both you. (Btw, Suyami, I don't hate the way you RP, none of us do.)
This user is Mod
suyami
Dec 6, 2008 13:36:44 GMT -6

Post by suyami on Dec 6, 2008 13:36:44 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
: I was a tad bit on the exaggerating side. I meant... Well, I meant that if I was to RP Katara, it shouldn't be just because that was what people had to settle for.

*tries to explain thinking and miserably fails* Ack. Never mind.

And thank you for your compliments, Karena, your opinion is very important to me. You warm the cookies in my heart. (no, not the cockles of my heart)
This user is a guest
Last edit by suyami: Dec 6, 2008 13:38:19 GMT -6

Post by Gia on Dec 6, 2008 13:50:57 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Suyami - Ah, yes, I know what you mean. That's why I was hoping that I'd actually have to make a decision. No offense to you or Kai, but I don't want to give it to someone just because, no matter how good they are. I want to make sure that whoever gets it gets it because they were better, not because we had choice. And your welcome. I'll make my decision and post my stamp later.
This user is Mod

Post by Gia on Dec 6, 2008 15:22:59 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to make sure you both saw this. I want you both to know that this was a hard decision. Both of the apps were well done. You both covered different aspects of Katara, and I thought about this while before deciding on who I wanted to give my stamp to. Kai, thank you for posting your app, but I'm going to give it to Suyami because I feel that hers is slightly better.

Here you go, Suyami, #1:

This user is Mod

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 9, 2008 4:33:52 GMT -6

I am reserving my judgment until at least one other Core Staff member has replied.

THAT SAID!! Remember, all, just because Karena has posted her approval doesn't mean you can't still submit an entry! As indicated in one of her earlier posts, she can switch approvals if she deems yours better.

Don't be discouraged by the examples in my opening post, or even by the current applications! The worst thing that can happen is that we'll thank you for your submission, and the role will go to another, leaving you in the exact same situation you are now.

I honestly expected more replies for this! Please, don't be discouraged! I hope to see more entries, no matter if you think they'll make it or not [but only serious entries please, don't treat this as a joke].

- Toph [aka Katara]
This user is Mod
dento
Dec 10, 2008 8:10:43 GMT -6

Post by dento on Dec 10, 2008 8:10:43 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
It was an algid, mid-winter night in the small earth kingdom forest. The boisterous wind shrieked and howled as it lashed against her partially unclad skin. The frozen earth beneath her feet was concealed beneath multifarious layers of velutinous snow. Long, sharp icicles dangled off the crusty branches that had long since lost their foliage. Even the sheen of the mother moon was covered by the eerie storm clouds above that seemed to linger in a single spot; eternally covering the surface of the moon. Everything about the night added up to sole effect of giving off a sence of forlorn.

Katara felt colder now than she had ever felt in her life...scratch that, there was a single moment in her past when she had felt a chill that reached deeper than any other. That day she had been frozen to the very core, and today was its anniversary. All the trepidation, anguish, and pain of that night now returned. The cold anguish within overpowered the cold without, she could hardly feel the prickling numbness that spread throughout her entire body. She did not even notice the gentle blue tone that had began to overcome her normally copper toned skin. She not so much as winced as snowflakes would land directly upon her azure eyes. She did not even attempt to shrug off the snow mounted upon her currently soaked chestnut hair, and the snow that desperatly clung to her clothing nearly doubling her wieght.

All she wanted now was isolation, to be alone in her pain. She did not care to see Aang, the love of her life, her sould mate, the you airbender; even though, out of everyon, he would have the easiest time sympathising with her feeling of isolation the most, after alll...he was the last airbender left. That and the fact that he is the avatar and there can only be a single avatar at any given moment. She did not even want to think about what she would do if Toph happened upon her. Although they had reached some sort of understanding, Katara could not stand getting a pep talk from a pampered princess. Her brother, Sokka, had long since learned to just leave her alone on to night of all nights. Even his thick head could make a wise decision at times.

Katara was so focused on getting away and being isolated she was not watching the placement of her feet. She had not realized that her foot had been caught beneath the root of a tree; so when she went to lift her foot she tripped and tumbled into the flocculent snow that powdered the ground. The combination of her emotional turmoil and all the elemants of cold that the earth threw at her tonight had numbed her to the point that she could not feel her scraped knee or the scratch on her ankle.

The fall was the metaphorical straw that broke the camels back. It was not the pain of the fall or the slight decrease in the temperature that caused the crack in the cold, unfeeling exterior she had built up to protect herself from the emotional turmoil, for in truth she did not notice any of it. She had had enough, instead of getting up she curled into the feetle position and broke down in tears. It was all too much for a fourteen year old girl to deal with alone, and with her shield down memories of that abhorent, and heinous night flooded back in a rush.

She trembled in the snow as every insignificant detail of her mother's death raced through her mind. It was...all...too...much! It threatend to consume her, and in an attempt to close off her senses to null the pain of the memories; she held tightly to her mother's betrothal necklace that she had recieved from her gran gran the night she leaved the south pole, and tried to quiet her mind, but by closing off her senses she did not hear the footsteps of the group closing in on her. If they were foe she was not prepaired to defend herself, if they were friend she was not prepaired to handle them, what could she do but lay their and let the tears run down her cheeks before they froze on the snow covered ground...

This user is a guest

Post by Gia on Dec 11, 2008 1:50:36 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Dento - Thank you so much for applying! I really do appreciate that you were willing to post your app even after Kai and Suyami's posts, and my stamp. Not many people would be, well, obviously... Anyway, I liked your post - it was good. You definetely captured her feelings of sadness well, but I do feel there's more aspects to her personality that you didn't cover. However, your post was good, don't get me wrong. Yes, she does have sadness and pain due to her mother's death, but there's more to it than that. In light of that, though, I'm keeping my stamp with Suyami. :) Thank you for posting your app again, though.
This user is Mod
aratak
Dec 11, 2008 13:14:53 GMT -6

Post by aratak on Dec 11, 2008 13:14:53 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Wow, I joined this site for this particular reason. To acquire the Katara character, mainly because she is my favorite of all. But after coming here and seeing all these wonderful auditions, it's really quite overwhelming. Particularly Kai's profile. That depiction is just simply fantastic, and personally, I don't know if I can really compete with such mastery of the Katara character. But, I shall do my best. I think I'm going to try to take a different approach.

Alright, here goes:

It had been constantly changing between drizzle and snow for weeks up in the Northern Water tribe city. But that was just the way liked it up there anyway...water, snow...it didn't matter. That was their way of life. Katara's way of life. And though she was from the opposite end of the planet, she felt very much at home to be among her own kind. The last great water tribe stronghold, Shai City. In a couple of days, the group of Aang and Sokka and herself would be leaving for the earth kingdom, and so Katara was getting up each morning early to enjoy the little bit of stability the ice fortress offered for the time being. She had been harnessing more skill... hanging around with people as layed back as Aang and Sokka sometimes made her lazy...and so she decided to take a break and get some real practice in. Proclaimed a master of water by her adoptive grandfather and grandmaster of water bending, Pakku, it didn't really seem like Katara really had much to learn at all... yet here she was, up at five in the morning, determined to break the learning barrier and excel with nothing but self teaching. Katara had taught herself everything throughout life, because her mother died when she was young, and she hadn't seen her father for a couple of years.

Katara was in one of the more poverty stricken areas of Shai, where the housing consisted of what would be considered prime real estate in her own tribe. Mostly igloos and small ice huts. She had been swinging a water whip around for a little while, but she had grown somewhat bored of that. She pouted slightly, and kinda wished her brother would show up to make a joke. Though shameless raw humor is what she'd get, as she turned her head to the left, only to get slammed in the face with a massive snowball that exploded on impact. This of course was followed by childish giggling...now Katara couldn't currently see, but she could tell the voice was of an annoying male child...he sounded almost like Aang on a bad day, except even more annoying. The cold snow was normally pleasant for her...but to be blind-sided in the face...the girl growled...and rather promptly removed the flaky frozen surprise off of her face.

"Where are you, you little..." She snarled, checking her surroundings. She wasn't pleased in the least... It wasn't because throwing a snowball was an act of war or anything, but because who ever had done it had just interrupted a training session.

Another bomb of frozen goodness came her way, but she spotted it this time...and she sent it back and knocked the kid off of the roof of the igloo he threw it from. Ugh.." he groaned as he fell and smashed his knee. Katara immediately felt bad, and ran off to see if he was ok. "Dumb kid...are you okay? You should know that I'm a master of snowball fights...I'm notoriously good at them...' She warned. "You shouldn't be ambushing people like that anyway...and standing up on an igloo isn;t exactly safe either...be careful..." She scolded, as she offered him a hand. The kid was okay, as he landed in a big snowbank. He humbly took her hand, and she pulled him to his feet. "Sorry..." he said, before running off. She shrugged, and watched for a few seconds.

Yeah, reading over my app I wouldn't pick me. :P Anyway, that was my go at it, and I'm happy I was given the chance. Congrats Suyami. ^^
This user is a guest
Last edit by suyami: Dec 11, 2008 13:30:02 GMT -6

Post by Gia on Dec 11, 2008 14:33:38 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Araku Kakku - Thank you for applying! I really do appreciate it; we all do. As for your app, the lenght is good, however, I feel that your app is slightly one dimensional. There isn't much depth into her character or exploration of her emotions, and it didn't go into too much detail about her relationship with Aang, either. Sokka was there, but Aang only briefly. Also, I felt that Katara declaring herself as a Master of Snowball Fights seemed a bit off to me. All in all, it's a good app, don't get me wrong, but I felt that it was lacking a few places. Therefore, I'm keeping my stamp with Suyami's. :) Thanks for applying again, though. It's good to see.
This user is Mod
toru
Dec 12, 2008 15:59:31 GMT -6

Post by toru on Dec 12, 2008 15:59:31 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
OOC: I wanted to try :D I don't have good experience with RPing as a canon, so this might not be too stampworthy. Oh, I did it in one shot as well, so I regret some stuff... poop.

A warm breeze whisked strands of hair into my face, sweat dripped off my nose so I could see it splash on the stone tiles beneath me, and my knees started to feel less like they could handle being in this position anymore. I was face down, helpless and tired. My mind wandered as I stalled, remembering the times of when I was such a simple child. So simple, so ignorant, so blissful. I remembered, when my mom used to call across the village "Katara!," during dinner time as the stench of stewed sea prunes sent me into a sensory utopia. I remembered running as fast as I could to get a hold of them and eating slowly in contrast to my wolfish brother, I saved every drop. It's funny though, at that time I didn't know I'd be missing it later.

I was only eight years old when my mother was taken from me and Sokka. Only recently did I find that it was to protect me, as the last standing Waterbender of the Southern Water Tribe. I tell myself it wasn't my fault, and that there was nothing I could do, but it always comes back momentarily. That feeling of guilt, of why she gave herself, it was because of me, for me, about me. Sokka didn't have to suffer, he was no Waterbender, why did he have to lose his mom? A tear joined the puddle of sweat on the stonework, indistinguishable from the rest.

From that time, I vowed that I would not forget her sacrifice for me, I wouldn't forget that she gave her life to protect me and to ensure that the Southern Water Tribe's single Waterbender would live on to do great things. I felt my heart become lifted, because I knew that I had succeeded in changing this world, at least a fraction. I started to practice, day in day out, sometimes getting so frustrated my practices were cut short for I had stormed out. Being that my mother had given her life for my gift, I was defensive about anyone who mentioned it, and this, probably led me and Sokka to the greatest achievement in our destiny.

Sokka, being less sensitive than me no matter what, completely neglects how much Waterbending means to me, he calls it "magic." Waterbending isn't magic, magic is making something disappear, or making it reappear at a seperate location, in plain, something stupid. With waterbending, I was on the course to change the world.

It was that last comment that drove me towards the edge, my anger driving me to shouting and swinging my fists around. I didn't know temper could affect my waterbending, but trust me, it wasn't my choice to do what I did, but I definitely do not regret it. I will admit, I was scared when I shattered that iceberg, I had no idea that I'd done it and why I had, but afterwards, I was strangely proud, but unfortunately, I completely destroyed our canoe. Yet, a canoe is a small price to pay to uncover the one person that would turn around this detestable war into an era of peace and harmony, the Last Airbender, Aang.

My thoughts wandered into the Crystal Catacombs beneath Ba Sing Se, it was there, that decided the rest of the war. I had been kidnapped by that truly awful Azula and her gang mates, and they'd thrown me there with Prince Zuko. He had been shunned for betraying his family before, so he fell into the same category as I did, enemy. An enemy of your enemy is your friend, right? Not true, I hated Zuko, for everything he had done to us, following us, and only making me and MY troup's work harder, but after he told me about his mother, I felt... a connection, an involuntary feeling that I knew what he had been through, that sparked the high in our relationship. I had spirit water from the Oasis at the North Pole, and he had a scar on his eye that marked him of his past and his curse. I was going to try to cure it, I was, but then Aang bashed in with Iroh, and stopped me before I could. Later on I used it to resurrect Aang from Azula's blow, but I can't help but wonder. What if I'd used it on Zuko? Would Aang have been dead? I shuddered then. What if it worked, would Zuko have been on our side instead? Mostly, I choose to forget about it and realize that the way it went, was satisfactory. Eventually Zuko would betray us for Azula's side, and then switch back to our side, which didn't exactly shine his reputation, so I didn't trust him for what he did to us. I trusted him, I confided in him, and he brushed us away with a flick of his wrist and helped Azula claim the one city that had a chance of fighting the dystopian Fire Nation. I hated him.

Admittably this war and this experience changed me more than I would've liked it to. I'm still motherly, I'm still kind, and if anything, I've become braver, but it's not that that had changed. My mind set in thinking has changed, trust comes harder, and I'd become more defiant as time goes on, more solid in what I believed in, who I cared for, what I'd do to ensure their safety. It has hardened me into who I am now, and I don't regret a thing. I fought along side Aang, Toph, and Sokka in this war, and I will never abandon their trust and confidence in me, and I love them all.

I stood up, the sun not doing any favors as it heated my face even more, thankfully, a cool breeze swept by my face and this time swept the hair out of it. I breathed calmly and glanced quickly at the drainage system with its gush of water. It was here I remembered who I was, and who this was for. I was Katara, last standing Waterbender of the Southern Water Tribe, the benevolent and mystical Painted Lady, and the girl that walks beside Aang, the Avatar. It was for Gran Gran, for Paku, for Toph, for Haru, for Aang, for Sokka, for Iroh, and even, for Zuko. And with this, I bellowed a battle cry that slowed my enemies's reaction time for a fraction, and rushed forward.
This user is a guest

Post by Gia on Dec 13, 2008 19:40:07 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Toru - Okay, I'm going to ingore the fact that it's written in first person... It's a bit distracting, but eh... Also, I will ingore the stuff that we didn't do in this plot. However, I think the opinion that you have Katara have about Sokka is a bit harsh. I don't think Sokka would think that now, and also... You don't seem to cover much of her personality, it seems to me. I mean, you do, but Katara's a multi-faceted character, so there are different sides to her that I don't feel we see well enough. Good job, though. The length is good. Thanks for posting this, but I'll still have to go with Suyami. :)
This user is Mod

Post by Gia on Dec 15, 2008 1:56:13 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Other Interested Applicants - Since things seemed to have died down again, we want to make a final decision with the next day or so. If you're interested, try to get your up as soon as possible. Remember, nothing is final until the final stamp is posted. We will accept all apps until then.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 15, 2008 13:19:46 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 15, 2008 13:19:46 GMT -6

I've read all the prompts, and I have waited quite sometime for new people. However, I now feel that I should award the approval to the member who posted the best. They were all good in their own respects, but when placed up against each other I feel that Suyami's really stood out. Good job, Suyami.

I'll be seeing you around later.
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 16, 2008 0:13:56 GMT -6

All right. Since two of the Core Staff members have posted already, I'd like to get my two cents in, and thus I guess I'll be the third required stamp. As is to be expected, I'm going to be the harshest judge of the Core Staff... after all, you guys are taking the character I've held for three years. So - please, don't get offended if I sound mean! I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just going to be critical, because, well... I want whomever takes Katara to do her justice.

First of all -and please, none of you take this harshly! x.x- what I felt the all of the samples lacked was Katara's maturity. Most of you touched on her love for Aang, for how the war's affected her, her power, and all the required aspects, but all of the posts, I felt I was dealing with a child. Yes, Katara is only fourteen, but we all know she is wise, and mature beyond her years. I would've liked to see more of that from every sample, because, let's face it — war will make you grow up. Fast.

The second thing I noticed that was lacking from all samples - ways to describe Katara. With the exception of Toru [as he wrote in first-person], almost every other sentence had the name "Katara" in it. Basic RP techniques, guys! Find interesting, non-repetative ways to reference your character.

Now, I'm going to go through each sample:

Kai Katashi - well written. I wouldn't have expected any better from you, my beloved newblet. =3 That said, I feel that a lot of Katara's personality was missing from your sample. It was her, but it seemed to be written from the viewpoint of someone else; it didn't feel like it was written as Katara, but more like... yourself, pretending to be Katara. =/ I guess that makes no sense, does it? xD I guess overall, there was a big lack of personality, lack of feeling. The post was very matter-of-fact, and Katara is a very multifaceted character. There's a lot more going on internally, and I feel that your post just barely scratched the surface. EDIT: Here's a better way to describe it — the post feels like it was written by a guy. =P I know that's what you are, but Katara shouldn't sound guy-ish. ^^;;;

Dento - a bit on the short side, for my tastes. It is also very, very depressing. I honestly don't think you see Katara the way she truly is — as much as I loved/hated the Ember Island Players' presentation of her, Katara truly is filled with hope. It is very out of character for her to succumb to darkness and despair. In fact, I think I've seen it happen just once, and that was at the end of Season 2, when it looked like Aang would die. It was a good sample, yes, but I don't think you quite grasped what Katara is all about. Aang, as the Avatar, is Hope. Katara is his harbinger.

Avatar Roku/Atarak - Sorry, haha, I'm used to calling you that from PBS. Anyway. I know you joined the site because I told you Katara was open and we were holding tryouts. I'm really glad you posted your application, but with yours too, I don't feel you quite captured the essence of Katara. She'd never call a random child a "dumb kid" [really, that's more Toph's area], and she wouldn't take that much offense to a snowball being thrown at her, especially if it was in good fun. I noticed your sample was from Season 1 - a good move, actually, since you are unfamiliar with our plotline. That said, I don't think that you captured how the war had affected Katara up until this point.

Toru - I'm sad that you posted in first person. =[ While it's well written, I don't think you've quite got how Katara feels about the people in her life, especially about Sokka. Sokka doesn't really think waterbending is Magic, at least, not anymore. I do think that you've gotten the determination side of her, and you touched a bit on the caring side, but your post didn't scream "KATARA" to me.

Suyami - also very well written. It wasn't horrible, either, and I don't hate your roleplaying. =P Even if I'm not Katara, you'll still be RPing with me. =3 Anyway, your sample touched on the more feminine side of Katara, but I feel that was what you focused most on. Katara has an angrier side, too, and she's not all "Sugar Queen" [despite what my inner Toph is yelling at me. -sniff-]. However, I think that your sample touched the most sides of Katara, and for that I'm awarding you...

Oops.. That should really say TOPH now, right..?
This user is Mod
Last edit: Dec 16, 2008 0:16:29 GMT -6

Post by Gia on Dec 16, 2008 0:30:37 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
I'm locking this thread. It's offical - Katara has been awarded to Suyami. Thanks to everyone else who applied. Suyami, when you read this, please move it to the accepted board. Please and thank you.
This user is Mod