The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Elemental Bending: Real or Not? (Staff-monitored)

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 26, 2006 15:58:01 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Due to several threads of this nature, I have decided to close them all down and create just one thread, which I will be monitoring. As of now, anyone who opens a thread like this will have their thread deleted with no warning.

Here's the question of the thread, which we will be covering in detail - Is elemental bending (as seen on Avatar: The Last Airbender) real?

Before you start posting, here are the rules of the thread:

1. ALL POST MUST BE 500 CHARACTERS OR MORE. That's about six lines of text in the reply box. I refuse to have this thread just whittled down to three line posts, with arguments reiterating the same points. Posts with less will be deleted.
2. No flaming. This means, no telling people off for their belief, calling them crazy, insulting them, etc.
3. Provide evidence to support your claim. This means you need to post quotes, and state where you got your information from. Sites must be credible, backed either by medical journals, schools (like Harvard, Yale), and encyclopedias (like Encyclopedia Britannica)
4. If someone challenges you, or your sources, do not resort to Flaming. See rule 2.

Okay, that's it. Have at it guys, and I will post my thoughts later on.

This user is Mod

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 26, 2006 17:09:30 GMT -6

Fireprodigy, I have deleted your post, due to lack of following rule #3. Also, this is not a thread to instruct people how to bend (even if that is possible), this is a discussion on if it's real or not. Please, be mindful of the rules next time, and what the topic is about before you post. Consider yourself warned.
This user is Mod
hieu
Oct 26, 2006 17:52:42 GMT -6

Post by hieu on Oct 26, 2006 17:52:42 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
okay ill being with my reasons why it is NOT real or not true enough to become known and believed.

There are many reasons why people do not believe in "telekinesis" and the likes. Biggest reason is most of the claims is "I managed to do this!" ,but then they can't do the bending again in the presence of another person. It's almost like trying to start a new religion saying all other theories and laws are bogus and now incomplete.

If a person can accomplish the feat in a room by themselves and not in the presence of something, that allows some credibility that leaves FAR too much room to make up something. I could say i managed to levitate, but i can't do it again in front of you because of something. That just strikes, that a problem is existing.

If people managed to "bend" the elements of our world i'm sure groups like Adolf Hitler and other people would have attempted to master it and use it in war.

Now let's say that it is true and real. What credibility is there? A website? I can make a website and i can post that i can fly using my hands. So perhaps a book? Still there is possibilities to make things up though most people don't want to waste money to publish something that likely won't sell. So what is the best way to prove bending is real? Live Demonstrations as i said before. No demonstration has ever been done and if it has then i'm sure that the thousands of News crews from all around the world would swarm to the person who demonstrated telekinesis.

BOTTOMLINE: Untrue due to lack of credibility and the fact it would have been HIGHLY publicized had it been true.
This user is a guest
Last edit by hieu: Oct 26, 2006 18:15:52 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 26, 2006 18:01:59 GMT -6

Hieu - I appreciate the reply; however, if you could go through your post and correct some grammatical errors, I would be more appreciative. I'm havnig some trouble distinguishing between your trains of thought. Thanks.

Any supporters want to rebutt before I add my two cents?
This user is Mod
hieu
Oct 26, 2006 18:16:53 GMT -6

Post by hieu on Oct 26, 2006 18:16:53 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Edited sorry for the problem and forgive for the lack of 200 characters.

Also i'd like to ask those who believe in bending. is there any book or truely credible source for learning telekinesis?
This user is a guest
fireprodigy
Oct 26, 2006 18:29:58 GMT -6

Post by fireprodigy on Oct 26, 2006 18:29:58 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
yes, go to www.psipog.net/

great site, where i learned everything, sorry for the lack of 200 cahraters, they have pictures, articles, and seminars!! GREAT SITE
This user is a guest
zana
Oct 26, 2006 19:54:49 GMT -6

Post by zana on Oct 26, 2006 19:54:49 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
ok what are the element bendings of telekenisis called?
This user is a guest
hieu
Oct 26, 2006 20:44:17 GMT -6

Post by hieu on Oct 26, 2006 20:44:17 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
fireprodigy said:
yes, go to www.psipog.net/

great site, where i learned everything, sorry for the lack of 200 cahraters, they have pictures, articles, and seminars!! GREAT SITE

went there flipped through the entire website or at least most of it. There is nothing worth being marked as Credible. All copyrights are to the website itself and "respective authors". Also when i checked the FAQs it said "I am" and it never stated who that person was. Highly believable as a credible website, but i'm far from convinced. Website has no company research backing, no credible copyright holdings, and what seems to be a "user-posted" place for "Newbies" which just spells that it only takes a skilled writer to make a believable story
This user is a guest
sethwynd
Oct 26, 2006 21:06:37 GMT -6

Post by sethwynd on Oct 26, 2006 21:06:37 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Well, for obvious reasons, I do not believe it's possible in the slightest. It falls into the same bin as the rest of the 'mystical powers of the mind' garbage; yes it has supporters, yes there's "schools" and "colleges" and "institutes" on the subject, BUT:

Telekinesis, and pretty much every other telepathic / psychic / whatever power has yet to pass a scientific test to prove its existance.

There's even a problem with web videos that supposedly show this. Why? Simple: if it was real, don't you think it would be something that was worthy of a spot in the daily news shows? If someone had genuine telekinetic abilities, that's certainly a bigger scoop than which movie star broke up with which other celebrity. It would be something discussed frequently all over the news circuit, and it would receive far more attention than it does. Its study would also likely get a huge sum of money from the federal government via grants, etcetera; just because of the potential for military use (after all, we're always looking for more efficient and creative ways to make someone dead).

Short version: I personally think the whole thing's hogwash. The only reason I'm not calling it a con outright is that there's not always money changing hands.
This user is a guest
fireprodigy
Oct 27, 2006 20:18:09 GMT -6

Post by fireprodigy on Oct 27, 2006 20:18:09 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
the elemental bendings are:

Fire: Pyrokinesis
Water: Hydrokinesis
Air: Aerokinesis
Earth: Geokinesis
Lightning: Electrokinesis
Atmosphere: Atmokinesis

Okay, dispite all the disbelievers I have bent fire, People if you don't believe it try it, possibly the reason you are not able to do it is because you don't believe. People if you want to do it just research it and try it, really not that hard, if you cant put a match out with your eyes after a week, then you are not trying ordont believe.

Thank you

PS. Humand only use 10% of their mental powers think itf we used all of their brain, yes you would probably be elemental bening up a storm!!! ;)
This user is a guest
hieu
Oct 27, 2006 20:26:30 GMT -6

Post by hieu on Oct 27, 2006 20:26:30 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
The closest thing i could think of relating to actual bending is gravity. Gravity is formed from matter just it depends heavily on how much matter is there. The Earth is huge therefore it holds the moon in orbit. The moon is extremely powerful and has an affect on water pulling water around.

If bending were real i'd relate it to gravity. Somehow people probably managed to increase the mass to create enough gravitational pull away from earth and towards their hand.

My 2 cents no i can't possibly get a source of this information at this moment when i do ill post it up
This user is a guest
sethwynd
Oct 27, 2006 21:05:47 GMT -6

Post by sethwynd on Oct 27, 2006 21:05:47 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
fireprodigy said:
the elemental bendings are:

Fire: Pyrokinesis
Water: Hydrokinesis
Air: Aerokinesis
Earth: Geokinesis
Lightning: Electrokinesis
Atmosphere: Atmokinesis

Okay, dispite all the disbelievers I have bent fire, People if you don't believe it try it, possibly the reason you are not able to do it is because you don't believe. People if you want to do it just research it and try it, really not that hard, if you cant put a match out with your eyes after a week, then you are not trying ordont believe.

Thank you

PS. Humand only use 10% of their mental powers think itf we used all of their brain, yes you would probably be elemental bening up a storm!!! ;)

There's several problems there. First of all, saying "I've done it" does not constitute evidence, EVER. Secondly, the one thing even remotely close to a scientific fact is by and far the most often misused fact.

PS. Humand only use 10% of their mental powers

That my friend, is completely inaccurate. The actual fact itself is that only 10% of the brain's function is known. Does that mean the other 90% is inactive? No! It just means we don't know what else it's doing! Or as George Carlin puts it:

"They say that only 10% of the brain's function is known. Apparently, the function of the remaining 90% is to keep us from discovering its function."

The brain itself is completely active; every part of it is working. If there's any significant portion of the brain that isn't active; that's a medical problem that needs to be taken care of as soon as possible.

As for putting matches out with my eyes after a week; I find that just waving the hand holding the match is much easier, not to mention it takes far less time.... and doesn't hurt near as much...
This user is a guest
atmos
Oct 27, 2006 21:21:30 GMT -6

Post by atmos on Oct 27, 2006 21:21:30 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Not for nothing but if I had managed to manifest supernatural ability, I would drive to the nearest news station, and give a demonstartion, proving the world that it's possible....
This user is a guest
yunxu
Oct 28, 2006 9:33:54 GMT -6

Post by yunxu on Oct 28, 2006 9:33:54 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
The brain is a funny thing. The world is a strange place. It is true that we don't know everything about it or even about ourselves and how our bodies work. But honestly, that's what scientists are for. They're discovering new things every day. I don't understand why people always whine about there being no magic in this "boring" universe. Magic is all relative. Put things into perspective for once. Gravity itself is magic. Imagine an alternate universe where things don't fall when you drop them, they just float. If people from that universe came to our planet, imagine their excitement. It all depends on your viewpoint. It seems that most people's idea of magic is controlling things that don't normally feel the need to listen to you. And then they talk down people who build technology to do the very same thing. It makes absolutely no sense.

Now, as for me, I don't really believe in this sort of stuff. It is quite possible that I am wrong. I am also an atheist/agnostic, if that means anything. So you can call me a skeptic all you like, but know that I've meditated before. It feels good, and it's good for you in this day and age when it's difficult for most kids and adults to focus for more than a few seconds. However, I don't desire anything from it other than to clear my mind and help me relax. I don't WANT to be able to bend. Why would I? What would I do with it.

That, and, there seems to be no credible evidence for it. Movies? Websites? Are you seriously that gullible, that if you see something done on TV you believe it to be so?

No, I still don't believe you even after you claim to have done it, because there is no proof. I apologize if I sound really cynical here, but it doesn't feel right. Why not run and fly with the things you're given on this earth, and try to discover new ones? Instead, that is, of claiming to be able to do things implausible even by the standards of "modern times"?

Isn't a bit of a coincidence that the thing people want most to be able to do, control natural elements to suit their own purposes, is suddenly at their very grasp? Within a few weeks? Isn't it a bit of a coincidence that all the sites, books and institutions on the subject manage to nimbly evade all the straight-on scientific questions as to the existence of telekinesis?

Too many coincidences for my liking. The brain, perhaps, is a powerful thing, but I myself will wait until I find a piece of evidence that makes sense and isn't engineered to tickle the fancies of wanna-be psychics everywhere.
This user is a guest
tai
Oct 28, 2006 11:10:02 GMT -6

Post by tai on Oct 28, 2006 11:10:02 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
*is kind of nervous for Katara removing his post because he is doing something wrong*

I am, like most people here one of the persons that like to think logical.
but on this kind of subject you CAN'T think logically because it isn't logical.
it is a believe people have and I respect that and I have to say that I do believe in it as I have some potential of supernatural power myself.

as answer to all the excuses for people who say: you can't show a demonstration etc.
people DO demonstrate their powers, but the scientist always come up with some stupid reason or complaint that it is fake or a coincidence.
this is why it has never been used for war or any other kind of thing, because it isn't logical and reliable according to the scientists.

a sample of this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyusho_jitsu

as for my powers:

I have visions and emphatic abilities.

my visions first just came without me knowing it just saying things and joking and eventually it turned out to be true.
the next step was that I dream of other peoples deepest fears, secrets etc.
and now I really have a black and white flash of people/things I think of or touch.
example:

I have a girl friend who was sad because someone was very sick,but she said I didn't know him and that I didn't understand her.
the next day I got a vision of that girl sitting in bed sweating heavily.
I talked to her and asked: are you the one thats sick cause I got a vision of you being sick (all my friends know of my powers) and I turned out that she was the one that was sick and she was sweating in bed that afternoon I got my vision.

next my emphatic ability allows me to sometimes feel/read what other people are feeling.
my first experiences were just as my visions, not knowing it until someone noticed it, now I actually feel it when I am using it.
example:

I was talking with some friends at school and suddenly I had a very strong ache and a little pain at my ankle, just suddenly.
I asked them: did any of you hurt your ankle?
and one of them said: yes, in fact i twisted my ankle yesterday at football practice.

and now the reasons why I can't show you my power now.
I can't control them, they just come when I least expect it.
sometimes though...when I try really hard I can press a very weak version of them out of me.

(now as a final note, I am not asking you to believe me. I am just talking along with the conversation)
This user is a guest
Last edit by hieu: Oct 28, 2006 11:11:35 GMT -6
sethwynd
Oct 28, 2006 17:11:40 GMT -6

Post by sethwynd on Oct 28, 2006 17:11:40 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
people DO demonstrate their powers, but the scientist always come up with some stupid reason or complaint that it is fake or a coincidence.
this is why it has never been used for war or any other kind of thing, because it isn't logical and reliable according to the scientists.

See...there's a problem with that. A very, very, very big problem. It can be found during the conflict known as the Cold War between the United States and the Soviet Union.

Each side wanted to be better than the other in EVERYTHING, and there were numerous times where the world itself was incredibly close to being destroyed (for example; there was a large barge filled with nuclear warheads and other explosives in the possession of the Soviets. The purpose? If defeat in an actual military conflict seemed inevitable, the order would be given to detonate the barge. The resulting nuclear explosion, in addition to the enormous radioactive fallout, would bring about a nuclear winter that could actually stand a chance at wiping the human population off the map. This was just one of many end-game plans in place; and with as troublesome as it was to keep everything stable, millions of people were just one screw-up from death and didn't know it). As a result, the demand for increased efficiency in terms of intelligence gathering and espionage was insanely high.

One of the things that resulted: each side began to actively look for psychics. I don't know much about the Soviet's program, but I do know that the US Government had a program running, with a very simple qualification test. If you felt you had psychic powers, you were to look at a series of flash cards. 4 to each set, with each set acting as a "question." You would be told what 4 shapes there were, and would have to guess the shape on the card currently held up in front of you.

Common sense says that luck alone should give you an average of 25% accuracy; and as such, anyone that scored above that average mark by as little as 5% was creditted as having actual psychic potential. Obviously, not all the details of the entire program have made public, and I do not feel compelled to write a letter to the appropriate federal offices to obtain copies of the declassified documents.

However, most accounts show that the program had the specific goal of finding people with psychic, telekinetic, telepathic powers, etc. It ran from the 1970s into 1995 before being terminated. Why? Because according to the government, there was insignifant evidence of the uses (not to mention accuracy) of the intelligence data produced by this program.

In other words, after AT LEAST 20 years of research and testing on a federally funded program; there wasn't enough evidence to prove that any of this psychic crap was real!

The final nail in the coffin came when in 1995, the CIA reviewed the program to determine whether or not it should continue. The result? They contacted the American Institutes for Research, for an analysis from independant sources. The best, BEST review was that some of the subjects scored 5% - 15% above the 'chance' mark, which again; said there was potential (though to be honest, I can score higher than 25% on a multiple choice test, without studying, by guesswork alone. So, that's not saying much). The worst results? That there was absolutely no evidence that any of the program's participants had any sort of supernatural abilities.

As a result, the CIA officially terminated the program (referred to by various codenames such as the "Stargate Project," "Sun Streak," and "Center Lane") in 1995 and allocated the $20 million dollar per year funding elsewhere. As far as I can tell, the Soviet Union / Russia did the same thing with their program.

So gee ... I can trust someone on the internet who claims its real and that scientists are out to crush this, OR I can trust the CIA, federal government, and even the Soviet Union in this and go ahead and say psychic powers are nonsense and usually fabricated stories.

And while I don't like trusting government, you have to realize: these two superpowers were trying FOR DECADES to gain the upper hand in any way they possibly could. There is no reason whatsoever as to why either government would close down their own version of this project if there was ANY chance that the 'psychics' that came forward produced any conclusive proof of the existance of these mystical 'powers of the mind' ...

Main source for this: Wiki Article on Project Stargate

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INSCOM

Also, the address and procedures required to obtain the official, de-classified documents on the project directly from the CIA are included in that article (which lends a great deal of credibility to the piece).

ALSO NOTE: To further disprove the accusations that the scientists are out to get all you psychics out there and don't want to admit these powers exist; this is after a war in which both sides brainstormed some of the most absurd ideas ever conceived. Examples:

[USA]
Strapping tiny incindiary bombs to bats and releasing them over Japanese positions. The idea was that the bats would fly into the rafters of the various huts and enemy buildings to roost; and then explode. The project was scrapped because the bats were completely unpredictable in terms of where they'd roost (and likely, a pain in the ass to catch and "arm").

[USA]
Strapping bombs onto cats and dropping them from airplanes over enemy carriers and ships. The idea was the cats would be so frightened they would latch onto the decks with their claws and be impossible to remove; then explode. The project was scrapped when it was found the cats tended to become unconscious during the fall (I don't want to know how they reached this verdict).

[Soviet Union]
Dog mines. Strap explosives to the back of the dog, and have them wired to detonate when a wooden or metal pole that stuck straight up was pushed back (by the German tank the dog was crawling under, as they were trained to crawl under tanks for bits of meat). This was actually used in combat on a few occasions, and produced ... well, unpredictable results. Some dogs did as the project intended, and crawled under approaching German tanks and went BOOM! ... others became frightened by the approaching tanks, and turned tail and ran straight through lines of Russian infantry (creating widespread panic on the part of the troops, since if they touched that pole; the dog would EXPLODE). Or the dogs, trained to crawl under tanks that had the familiar sound and smell of RUSSIAN tanks, would actually turn around and dive under the Soviet tanks! The project was scrapped due to the unpredictable results, and after the order was passed down the German lines to shoot any and all dogs on sight.

So, yeah. During this time frame, no matter how absurd the idea was or how vehemently anyone involved was opposed to it; the concept would be followed up on and likely tested regardless of any objections from the scientific community. Hell, the United States dropped an atom bomb in the Mohave Desert ON OUR OWN MEN, just to see what the results of radiation were on the human body (I believe only 1 of the participants survived).
This user is a guest
Last edit by hieu: Oct 28, 2006 17:21:03 GMT -6
yunxu
Oct 28, 2006 17:32:39 GMT -6

Post by yunxu on Oct 28, 2006 17:32:39 GMT -6

Guest Avatar

The article you showed was interesting, except for the quote from that guy. It made me laugh. Honestly, he could've been a tad more eloquent about it. As it is he rather made himself sound like an idiot. Too bad. If he actually was able to do what he claimed, he somehow wasn't able to do it at that exact moment. SOMEHOW, everyone else has managed to escape actually proving something, even at random times. Just when nobody's there to witness it, oh yeah, then miracles happen, you shoulda been there! Pffft. I don't mean to sound overly cynical, again, but some of these people, the ones that try to flaunt their "power" and make themselves look ridiculous in the process, they just bother me. Perhaps not all of these so-called practitioners are like this, but those ones are like the worst kind of celebrity.

And, as for the last part of your comment...it just makes me sad that the people who claim to have this power, the first purpose they can think of using it for is killing other people.
This user is a guest
tai
Oct 28, 2006 18:28:00 GMT -6

Post by tai on Oct 28, 2006 18:28:00 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
wow...I'm really impressed Makoto, I really didn't know all that and its really good that I'm learning something in my vacation.

ok back to the subject.

Makoto: all these powers that your naming: Telekinesis, Telepathy etc. these are powers that I don't believe in.
I think that that kind of powers are only made up because someone was deceived by their own eyes or something.
these powers are all ''active'' you can call upon them at will, I don't believe in these ''gifts'' and by the way. I don't think scientist will ever believe in the supernatural because they don't have the ''brains(see below)'' for it.

what I do believe is that every individual has his/her own gift. gifts like: being good in sport or being really smart etc. but you also have the ones that have nothing to do with that.
every brain is different and so I think that some people may have gifts to use their brain differently than others.

example:

I talked about it with my mom once: she said that she had just the same thing when she was jung, but she noticed that her life was to busy with fantasy and daydreaming that she cut herself off from all fantasy things (like books, movies etc.) and with this also of her powers.
at this moment she started to use her brain differently so the parts of the brain that she usually used for daydreaming etc. started to get a lot of different information and because of that the brain lost it function to for example: concentrate at what other people are feeling or what the future holds.

Xu Yun: yeah the quote was kind of vague eh?
urrrgh...I hate those people that say: I am a mighty Telepath, mind reader or whatever.
those powers are absolute nonsense!
it mostly is just a stunt or a fantasy of people, you can't imagine how carried away people can get by seeing some movie or some other people.

as for the people that fling around with their gifts and then aren't able to use them:
I think that some, may actually have a power before. but when they start saying like look I'm here and I can do that.
their to obsessed by the attention etc. that they forget that their power is just a little thing (it mostly isn't so strong and unpredictable) they start to make things up and before you know it: POOF!

the one that first had visions now knows how to levitate!

as for the other ''celebrities'' I really despise those and find them annoying so lets just leave it with that.

as for my powers: I really, really didn't know I had them before people started telling me that I knew things I couldn't know and stuff like that until they said might I had visions I thought about it and before I knew it I had a vague dream of someones deepest secret that turned out to be true.

and the question: can you prove it?

I CAN prove it: ask anyone of my friends, they all and all of them to be exact believe in it because I had at least one vision or emphatic emotion from all of them(some people even start to find it scary )
maybe if you become my friend I'll get a vision of you to but the point is:

I'm not going to embarrass myself by flaunting with my powers saying things that aren't true, I only tell someone I had a vision or something if its really bothering me.
also I have to say: it is not like I have a vision every hour or every day...it depends on my own mood.
This user is a guest
Last edit by hieu: Oct 28, 2006 18:33:59 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 31, 2006 17:20:33 GMT -6

Wow. Thanks everyone, who responded.

I would like to point out, however, that in my opening rules I said specifically that all pro-bending and anti-bending theories had to be accompanied by creditable links to support your position. So far, I've only seen one or two links. In all honesty, if this keeps up, I will close this thread and forbid any more threads of this nature from being opened.

Also, the character limit in this thread is larger than the rest of the board, due to the sensitive nature of this subject. 200 characters does not cut it, guys.

Lastly, sorry Makoto-kun, but Wikipedia, no matter how convenient, is not a wholly reliable site. Take everything from there with a grain of salt. For now, I will allow it, but if articles are linked that seem to me to be absolutely ridiculous, I will disallow Wikipedia links from this thread.

Starting now, non-linkers will have their posts deleted. Thank you. If there are any questions, just PM me.
[/b][/center]
This user is Mod
Last edit: Oct 31, 2006 17:23:56 GMT -6
nanori
Nov 2, 2006 19:10:41 GMT -6

Post by nanori on Nov 2, 2006 19:10:41 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
To jump headfirst into the fray, I'd like to point out a possible new vocation for Tai: criminal profiler. The wiki article en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading will give you more information on cold reading and how you may be doing it without even knowing it. I especially recommend the "External Links" at the bottom of the page, since I tend to be leery of information freely edited by all and attributable to none.

As far as I know, there are no studies to either "prove" or disprove the existence of psi (defined as "the active agent by which mind is supposed to influence matter and be able to receive ESP impressions" at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psi_%28parapsychology%29). There is, however, an extensive study of parapsychology, defined as the study of certain types of paranormal phenomena (parapsychology comes from the Greek para, “beside, beyond,” + psychology, derived from the Greek psyche, “soul, mind,” + logos “rational discussion”). The wiki article for parapsychology is at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parapsychology. The specific branch of parapsychology that bending (elemental manipulation) would fall under is "Psychokinesis (< Greek øý÷ï- + êßíçóéò, literally "mind-movement") or PK, also known as telekinesis (< Greek ôῆëå + êßíçóéò, literally "distant-movement") or TK: defined as the influence of mind upon matter, as the use of mental 'power' to move or distort an object. The wiki for that is en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychokinesis

Once you've read all those articles (or not, that's up to you), you will probably begin to see how complicated the issue of the "reality" of bending is. I have just had the scientific method crammed down my throat again at school and I'm more inclined than ever to want to see hard data to convince me that something is incorrect. That's the basic premise of the scientific method- nothing can ever be proved, just disproved.

I've never known anyone who is any sort of "psychic"- an imprecise term, of course. I've never seen any acts that could be called psionic. I've also never seen anything that says that it's impossible for psi to exist. Therefore, as a fledgling scientist, I have to say that it possibly exists, because it hasn't been disproved (to my knowledge, yet). However, by definition it can't be explained by our current scientific system and method, so who knows?
This user is a guest