The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Trivia or Trivial?

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 7, 2006 15:45:40 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Hello gang! Welcome to "Trivia or Trivial", the thread which brings to your attention things in Avatar episodes that you might not have otherwise noticed!

I will be doing each episode in order, starting with Boy in the Iceberg.

Hope you all enjoy!

This user is Mod

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 7, 2006 15:49:57 GMT -6

The Boy in the Iceberg
[/center]
Trivia[/u]
How would Katara, a waterbender, expect Aang, an airbender, to help her with her waterbending training, not knowing he was the Avatar?

When Katara is in Aang's tent while he puts his shirt on, during an upclose shot of her, her necklace is white.

When Aang is in the tent, after the nightmare, he has no shirt or shoes on. Aang puts on his shirt, and then Katara drags him out of the tent before he has his chance to put his shoes on, and then when he is introduced, he has his shoes on.

Allusions[/u]
In the legend of King Arthur, he was cast into an enchanted sleep to awaken when his people needed him again. With Aang being, for all purposes, sleeping in a magic tomb for a hundred years, it was handled in a similar manner to that of the legend.

The Return of the Avatar
[/size]
Trivia
In this episode, we figure out Aang is the Avatar.
This is the first time that Aang goes into the Avatar State.
This is the first time Katara comes close to crying when Aang is captured by the Fire Nation.
At the end of the episode Aang tells the Sokka & Katara all the places they're going to visit and do. And one of the things he said was ride the Elephant Koi fish. And he did in the "The Warriors of Kyoshi."
This is the first time we see Katara use her Waterbending to freeze water.

Allusions[/u]
In Chinese fighting styles, there is a component called chi kung that emphasizes breathing as a tool to focus a person's chi, or energy. It stand to reason that bending comes from this chi and not from the physical body, as of yet, we've never seen someone too physically exhausted to do bending, probably because bending is one of those things that is '93% mental', as they say.[/color]
This user is Mod
Last edit: Sept 7, 2006 15:56:38 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 7, 2006 16:10:52 GMT -6

The Southern Air Temple
[/u][/size][/center]
Trivia[/u]
Sokka's appearance is different in this episode than the others.

In "The Avatar State," it is revealed Avatar Kyoshi was the Avatar before Roku. However, in this episode, when Aang is looking at the statues in the sanctuary of the Southern Air Temple, the statue next to Roku is not of Kyoshi.

Zuko and Zhao had their Agni Kai at sunset, but wouldnt it make more sense to do it at sunrise? Because in "The Siege Of The North (Part 1)," Zuko said firebenders rise with the sun.

Allusions[/u]
The Earth Kingdom Avatar temple that was briefly shown is built similar to the Temple of Heaven aka the Altar of Heaven. The temple, originally constructed in early 15th century, is a Taoist building situated in southeast Bejiing.

The airbenders closely resemble many types of Buddhist monks, with their shaven heads and evidence of mandatory meditation. The beads that many of the older monks wear are also similar to the prayer beads that Buddhist masters wear.
The fire duel is called Agni Kai, which may be based on the fact that Agni is the Hindu god of fire.

The Warriors of Kyoshi
[/u][/size][/center]
Trivia[/u]
The warriors of Kyoshi Island dress in the same robes, wear the same make up, and use the same fan weapons as Avatar Kyoshi

This is the first time we see an Avatar as a girl. So, apparently, the Avatar can be of either gender.
Creature Debut: Unagi, Elephant Koi (unagi means eel in Japanese)

Sokka finally shows some respect for women (women warriors) by begging for training from them, and apologizing for being so rude

Kyoshi was the Avatar about 300 years before Aang was born, or 400 years before the chronological occurrence of the events in the episode

The people of Kyoshi are part of the Earth Nation
The Warriors of Kyoshi are all women

More Trivia[/u]
When Aang is showing his marble trick to the islanders, Sokka's ponytail is the same color as the fuzz on his head

When Aang puts on his pants after running away from the Unagi, they are shown to be red. But eailer in the episode his pants are yellow.

There is a shot where Zuko has three feet

At the beginning of the episode, when Aang is in the water, there is a shot of him from behind in which the blue line on his back has disappeared, only to return in a different shot a few moments later

When Sokka is challenging Suki, she takes Sokka's sash off his waist and ties his hand to his foot. When he falls down, you can see it and it has transformed into rope

When the first view of the Avatar Kyoshi statue is seen, the paint's faded and the wood is weathered. Once Aang flies over it, it looks freshly painted, even though it isn't refinished until the second half of the episode

Allusions[/u]
The warriors of Kyoshi are skilled in what appears to be Tessenjutsu, the martial art of fighting with the tessen, or Japanese war fan

Suki means "love" in Japanese

Kyoshi is a word for teacher in Japanese and also is a higher level of teacher in martial arts. In one case we see how the Kyoshi warriors teach Sokka a lesson about the strength of a warrior no matter male or female. This may also be an allusion as to how Aang learns to use the Unagi (a threat) to help the people he endangered when Zuko came (another threat) by staying too long. Additionally, this may be an allusion as to how Kyoshi (in addition to Roku, who we were introduced to in the previous episode) may teach Aang something in later episodes

The female Kyoshi warriors' weapons can deflect fireballs, like Yumi can when virtualized in Code Lyoko with hers

This episode pays homage to some of the old western movies. The Kyoshi residents and warriors scatter and hide just before Zuko's bold entrance into the village with his group of soldiers, demanding that the Avatar come out. The village itself is even set up a bit like the traditional western movie small town with one wide, dusty road down the middle and small, crowded buildings on either side.

The fans the warriors of Kyoshi use as weapons has a lot of history in Asian societies. They have been used in both Chinese, Korean, and Japanese martial arts for centuries. It was actually a weapon among the geisha and oiran for a long time, used to defend clients. It's supposed to distract your opponent from your fist meeting his face.

Some of the warriors of Kyoshi used fans to defend themselves; this is similar to the way in which Mulan fought in the movie Mulan, in which she defeats the leader of the Hun army by using a simple fan.[/color]
This user is Mod
Last edit: Sept 7, 2006 16:13:47 GMT -6
theposman
Sept 7, 2006 20:50:06 GMT -6

Post by theposman on Sept 7, 2006 20:50:06 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
well, that is quite an undertaking, my friend...Every episode, whew. are you finding these facts yourself, or using some info site? if you are finding them yourself...well kudos. i couldnt imagine noticing all these facts, ahaha.
Bute the one woth the fans...i knew hat, suprisingly enough.
good stuff.
This user is a guest

Post by Gia on Sept 9, 2006 17:02:37 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Very interesting, Katara. This was a very interesting read. I can't wait to read the rest of them once you get them up. I wish I could watch them again just to see if I can spot some of these things. *lol* Somehow I doubt I would though, knowing me...
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Sept 17, 2006 13:46:51 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 17, 2006 13:46:51 GMT -6

Wow, someone else that finds these little goofs besides me! I've found about 10 more but my friends and family both never catch it. This is really cool that you where able to find all of these for I only found about 3/4 of them. They say that it is like 1 out of 10 people will ever notice this. this is a very cool find! Good Job! :)
This user is a former member
suyami
Nov 23, 2006 23:27:19 GMT -6

Post by suyami on Nov 23, 2006 23:27:19 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Wow. That must take a LOT of time. It's funny, figuring out all the weird little things that went wrong in the show, or something that does not quite make sense...... Takes quite a bit of time, though, I imagine. Nice work, Katara!
This user is a guest