The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

The End of an Era

Anonymous
Jan 26, 2011 23:48:05 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 26, 2011 23:48:05 GMT -6

looking at it in a certain light, there's really no reason to shut it down UNLESS what you want is for people to leave and all growth and activity to stop. Now, while it is fully understandable if, perhaps a staff member is going on a long hiatus, or is trying to turn the site over to someone else and certain things need to be addressed before that can happen or some crazy scenario like that [I'm a novelist. I've come up with worse].

BUT, closure of a site in such ways that prevent newcomers and/or public mingling, only leads to one road, and that road leads to death [of the site]. There is really and truly nothing to be gained from it.even if by some bizarre chance everyone here was struck with 100 different conveniently placed meteors, the worst that could happen to this site would be to have a bunch of n00bs come and make weird posts. but, since us and the staff members are not about to be struck dead on the spot [well, except me, but that's probably because of the human sacrifices or perhaps the loud screaming I do at 4:45AM for my rituals], even n00b/spam swarmages could be avoided.

so it's basically like asking someone if they would rather have a penny [cent, whatever small means of currency you wish to have here], or if they would rather have nothing. Even a download that goes at 0.1KBPS is still better than one that goes at 0.0 KBPS. enough metaphors though. literally speaking, minimal "post-a-day" rate activity is significantly better than no activity at all.

Some of you might know me as a crazy, mentally unstable Southwestern Yankee woman; others might know me as the forum jerk, village idiot, you name it. Whatever the case is, I also enjoy speaking my mind. In all honesty, In see the closure of the site as a very foolhardy movement.

correct me if there ared etails that I do not know of, but hey, someone's gotta say it, and closing such a beloved place to those who are loyal simply because there is not enough activity... KINDA sounds like a step backwards to me.

"we only have 10 men left in our battalion general."
"kill them all."
whoops. there I go again with metaphors.

I suppose I could go on and on about this, but I'll spare everyone the trouble. for once, I'm not trying to piss someone off, and I'm not trying any self-elevation, illegal movements, etc. I'm just trying to see this place remain alive, so that myself and the several others who come here, new and old, can have... well, a place to come and have fun. Sure, there are other places to go on the internet, other things to do with your time, and even other Avatar sites, RP sites, or a combination of the two.

but THIS. IS. SPARTA.
THIS IS THE FREAKING AVATAR RP. this is something that does not get replaced easily, nor is it something that dies easily. while I don't know [and honestly don't care] when in 2005 this site was founded, few Avatar fansites can say they have lasted that long. keep the torch burning, keep the record going, and summed up..

KEEP THE AVATAR RP OPEN.

[and no. I am not sorry for anything I have said in this post. all of it has one purpose, and I am not villainizing anyone, nor do I intend to. all offense taken by what has been said here is a misinterpretation, and therefore if you are offended by it, crack down and get over it. If there are any misunderstandings with my observations and/or reasons for action that I am not aware of, please let me know ASASP and I'll apologize for any incorrectness and will rectify this post on the double.]

Sincerely, and with utmost regards,
~Tenoko~
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Jan 26, 2011 23:48:38 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jan 27, 2011 4:44:50 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Tenoko,

This was a decision that was not made lightly. We looked at all roads, all possibilities, and weighed the pros and cons of keeping the site open, and shutting it down.

Your made a comparison:

"kill them all."

Think of it instead as:

"retreat."

There are a lot of factors that have gone into this decision. The biggest factor is that the activity level is not satisfactory to us. I understand that to some eyes, a little activity is better than none. However, we do not want to be the sort of site that is constantly trying to struggle to survive. From a purely administrative standpoint, it's exhausting. From a member's standpoint, it's boring.

At this point in time, the activity here is so low it could be taken to PMs — hence why we are not shutting down the forum completely and leaving that option open.

We understand that TARP is much loved. I've spent the past five years almost exclusively here, and I've made many friends, developed my writing and art, and much more. We hope the loyalty of our few remaining active members will thrive, and if TARP does reopen for Korra, that they will come back with much rejoicing.

We have hopes for the site reviving in Korra, and will revisit the issue when the time comes. Til then, closing the site is final, and we hope you understand that the decision, at least at this point in time, will not be reversed.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jan 27, 2011 4:45:29 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jan 27, 2011 13:43:41 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 27, 2011 13:43:41 GMT -6

perhaps it's more like:
"put them into a coma"

not entirely dead, but unable to do anything for an indefinite period.

but in light that it has been 31 months since we have gotten any official Avatar storyline [give or take a few weeks. I'm counting this from the finale. we do not have enough Korra information right now to do much with it], this is the kind of activity that is basically on most other avatar sites as well, having seen it myself from either visiting, being a member, or any combination of the above.

I've actually seen more people pop in here than I have in most other places , and so really, expectation of more activity than this when it's an internet-ional circumstance, is somewhat ridiculous and/or unrealistic.

I didn't expect to change anyone's verdicts; just felt like this needed to be said as my defense of this place.

~Tenoko~

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jan 28, 2011 5:39:40 GMT -6

There's honestly no need to 'defend' the site. Ultimately, it's whether or not we think it's active enough. We don't really care what other sites are up to, so using them to say "well everyone else is like that" doesn't really matter, or win any points.

We love TARP as much as everyone who's stayed a member — probably more so, considering we've been long term members of TARP, more than most regular members — and this pains us immensely.

We sent out mass emails announcing TARP's closure, as well as posted it to facebook. Look at the lack of logins / replies since then. Only the people who have been logging in have logged in since the announcement. This doesn't really make us any more enthusiastic about keeping the site open at this juncture.

For the staff, TARP is too inactive — it doesn't matter what this site or that site is up to, how alike they are in activity. We're not staff there, so it's none of our business, and they have no relation to TARP.

As stated, all current members will still be able to login and RP privately. If that's not satisfactory for you, then ... well, sorry. =/

edit; you also said: "correct me if there are details that I do not know of." of course there are. there are a lot of things that went behind this decision, not all of them made public. I actually don't see how it matters if you know or not.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jan 28, 2011 5:46:22 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jan 28, 2011 12:37:00 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 28, 2011 12:37:00 GMT -6

only reason it would matter to me was so I could change certain parts of my post as necessary.
in other words, I didn't want to be throwing out any false 'accusations' [that's not really the right word], or opinions based on false [or missing] information. that's all.

but of course logins and activity are going to after that kind of an announcement. it defeats the purpose of signing up, inviting friends to sign up, starting new story arcs, and that sort of thing. no point starting business in a district that's about to close down.
so I wasn't trying to use the rest of the world as an example so much as I was indicating that perhaps your standards for activity were a bit too unrealistic. I have indirectly implied this several tiems in the past though, so coming from me this isn't new.

and with this post, I was just clarifying what I had said previous. This still is no attack.
~Tenoko~

Post by Gia on Jan 28, 2011 15:44:46 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Tenoko, I think the fact that most people are not surprised shows me that I made the right decision, and believe me, I also felt like a part of me died. I have tried to run too many sites that I've started when it was clear it was over, and I didn't want this to be another. I'm sorry that you're sad - we all are.

Hanabi, if you do not finish by the first, you are free to go to PM's, as Toph said.

(Off topic, I'm glad my hard drive is now replaced so I can actually post here. -_-)
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jan 29, 2011 0:43:11 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 29, 2011 0:43:11 GMT -6

no, various factors lead me to not be surprised. nevertheless, I felt, as I usually [not always in a rational way] do, that voicing my opinion was a good idea.

so I did.
~Tenoko~
hanabi
Jan 29, 2011 12:48:20 GMT -6

Post by hanabi on Jan 29, 2011 12:48:20 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I'm am surprised and at the same time I am very displeased by this. I mean I can understand 'no new signups' but...

Tenoko is right, I think a better metaphor would be "We're quitting on you before you quit on us." or, "We're small so we might as well stop existing."

I mean I understand not wanting to bog down with staff and stuff. But why not just shut down sign ups and let the current members be? Why do you have to make it so we can't post together? Can we honestly really be expected to carry out RP in PMs? There's no way to read it or post it. And no one could RP with more then one person.

I can speak for pretty much everyone when I express disappointment and loss. You don't want to do this but you think you have too.

I honestly think the real people who lost here are your new sign ups, not us old veterans of the site who've been posting since way back when.

But I'll be frankly honest. Once you shut this site down, Korra will not save it. Reopening won't just bring in new bodies. What's going to happen is when you shut down a few people will 'maybe' post to each other in PMs, but then they will leave. The site will die, be marked as a dead site on affiliate sites. Then when Korra comes out, even if it is reopened your chances of recovery are at best slim.

Here are several reasons that relaunching will be hard.

1: Relaunched sites rarely get people taking in because they can't claim characters they want, even open ones without learning what happened earlier with that character. Very few people are gonna want to read 200+ Posts to see 'what's up' with <Insert Canon Here>.

2: You've taken and been active so long that the entire plot will be different from what Korra would be naturally. The whole thing with the Karena and Zuko thing. The Toph and the Hunt and never joining the Gaang and so on and so on.

3: With that much difference the only thing that will make activity rise is activity present. We may be a small group but we're as active as anywhere else in the Avatar RPG community. When Avatar rises with Korra you will need that activity to bring in more. Because I doubt new people will want to leap into a plot where all the old players are gone and no activity has happened yet a whole history they know nothing about to keep in mind.

Put Plainly. Too much has happened and without the current players to keep things rolling, no ones gonna leap on.
This user is a guest
kaitokatashi
Jan 29, 2011 14:04:04 GMT -6

Post by kaitokatashi on Jan 29, 2011 14:04:04 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Okay, I may get a warning for this post, but honestly, I'm doing this because of what I've read in this thread so far.

Guys (those who are all "OMG THE BOARD IS CLOSING I'M SO MAD), QUIT YOUR BITCHING.1) It's not going to change what's already been put into motion, and 2) it makes you look petulant and bitter, especially because of #1.

That being said, it makes me sad that TARP is "closing down," so to speak, especially after the fact that I've been here for almost three years and that I was on staff at one point. This is a wonderful forum, but being a former staff member, I also know that Kami and Karena wouldn't do this without a very good reason; also, knowing what I know about staff, they have to do what's best for the forum, regardless of what the members think.

In any case, it's been a good run and I've had fun RPing here.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jan 29, 2011 16:57:30 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 29, 2011 16:57:30 GMT -6

[WARNING ANOTHER TL;DR POST BELOW]

so any expression of opinion and result becomes bitching now? sad world we live in.
Hanabi is exactly right. most prominently with relaunched sites never doing nearly as well as they did before closing [and when I say that, I'm comparing day of relaunch vs. day before closing.]

There were two different sites that suffered similar symptoms. one, the admin closed down for 3 weeks for no reason. it got about 200 visitors a day. once it reopened, that number was down to 50. now it's down to about 2.

the other was up and down for about a month because of server issues. This one had upwards of 550 visitors a day, but because of the "closure" [inability to access anything but the chat room] due to the faulty servers, once that problem was resolved about a month later (also keep in mind that there were sporadic days where things worked normally in between the downtimes), the visitor rate dropped to just below 100, and 6 months crash-free days later, that rate is still pits.

so why do I bring these things up? it's already been abundantly clear that yes, those suites are not TARP, and that no one here runs any of them there. That is not my reason. again, it can go back to the Fifth Law of Internet Traffic*.

also, I'd like to add to Hanabi's point on the story, which I honestly had not kept too much track of since my characters have been off doing stuff that did not affect the canon characters. Having RP'd for enough time in my life, (as well as different styles. yes, I am a first-rate RPG/D&D nerd in so many ways), there just comes times when things need to be powerplayed by the DM/GM just to get things rolling again. in the campaigns I was in, the players and DM chipped in ideas (so ultimately, no one really got powerplayed, now that I think about it >.>) and then moved the story ahead a little to get things running again. That's the beauty of role-playing. There is no Almighty God [well, there is a God IRL, but not getting into that] that will strike you down if you choose not to play out every second of every minute of your character's life.

However, I cannot stand too closely to my statement here, as I am not entirely sure how the canon cast/storyline has been going. I've read the rundown before, but that's about it. Nevertheless, I'm sure that if anyone's got decent writing skills here, that it could be done. Furthermore, I have little reason to doubt that most people here are at least semi-decent enough if they can survive The Joining**.

and to touch on Hanabi's 3rd point... I think that was what I had been trying to say in my last four posts. [maybe it was only 3. too lazy to check] we're small. we're the few and the proud. we are what keeps the Avatar RP as THE Avatar RP. Just because I'm Little Miss Snarker doesn't mean I'm not fond of this place. In simple terms, if I didn't like it, I wouldn't come here. simple, really.

though I too could come to somewhat of an understanding of disabling signups. that would then reduce the character profile checking to a minimum, as well as rule rundowns, The Joining, and trying to integrate people--all timely processes (that albeit are still worth the trouble).

really, apart from that, there's very little other work that needs to be done on a forum where you can trust all your members not to make stupid posts. (and again, if they've passed The Joining, then that seals 99% of the deal anyways.) Most other forum work is ensuring the coding and images remain, advertising (optional, in all respects, but nevertheless very useful), and the layout of the forum itself, which changes every 8-12 months or so. (which is a good touch that admittedly takes time as well, but no one's giving anyone a deadline on that one)

So ye. really that's what it comes down to. I'm not here to become "favoritest member in the whole wide wurld!", or to brown-nose or take favorites. I came here to RP, make a few friends, and tell it like it is. Incidentally, despite my "it's-all-about-me" nature, the whole RPG-via-PM thing did get me raising a few questions. I am one of the few that could easily do PMRPs, since both the ones I was in were with just one other person. However, with active players (and it should be abundantly clear by now who are the active people and who are not), 3+ player Rps tend to be a great deal of fun, and unfortunately would be very difficult to play through PMs.

so really... the "quitting on us before we quit on you" thing is saddening (among a few other things). While it is fully understandable if someone needs a break, don't force us all to take a break just because you want one.

sincerely,
~Tenoko~

Also, before I forget...
*+Fifth Law of Internet Traffic+
No matter what is done afterwards, if a site is closed or down for a period of more than a week and a day, visitors and activity will be permanently reduced by at least 35%.

**+The Joining+ stolen shamelessly from DragonAge, The Joining is my way of saying the steps of approval needed to be able to RP properly. This simply entails getting your character profile passed, as well as the RPG school training passed in old times. Also, it is what sorts out the long-lasters from those who don't make it.

~Tenoko~
kaitokatashi
Jan 29, 2011 17:13:52 GMT -6

Post by kaitokatashi on Jan 29, 2011 17:13:52 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
No, expressing one's opinion isn't bitching. Bitching, in this case, is complaining vehemently about something one can't change. Did your or Hanabi think that the staff didn't take what would happen after they closed the site down into account before they made the decision to? Yes, I understand that people are upset that a forum like this is temporarily closing down, but honestly, beating a dead horse (in this case, spouting statistics and reiterating that the forum will basically fail once opened back up) isn't going to change anything. While a forum is a great place for people to get together and interact, there are other ways to RP with the people you meet here. I say suck it up, because it's happening whether you want it to or not (and getting all uppity and mad about it isn't going to do anyone any good), quit your bitching, and deal. I hardly think the staff is closing the forum for the time being because they "want a break."
This user is a guest
Last edit by kaitokatashi: Jan 29, 2011 17:14:34 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jan 29, 2011 18:29:16 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 29, 2011 18:29:16 GMT -6

ultimately, it's certainly not going to be the end of the world for me by any means if this place shuts down. I'm mostly just trying to find the logic behind it, which so far, there is none.

really, as you probably saw, the only thing we saw from it was "we're quitting on you before you quit on us. and "we're small so we might as well stop existing."

which was kind of why we said what we did.
~Tenoko~
kaitokatashi
Jan 29, 2011 18:37:52 GMT -6

Post by kaitokatashi on Jan 29, 2011 18:37:52 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
No logic behind it? I believe Kami explained why they were shutting the site down; however, it seems like you want something more than that. The latter part of your post in reply to mine also seems to be based on assumptions, not anything the staff said. I do believe that these opinions are formed out of bias, since you seem to think there's no logic behind the site's closing when Kami has posted in this thread and defended the decision the staff has made, which was immediately dismissed as illogical by both yourself and Hanabi.
This user is a guest
hanabi
Jan 29, 2011 18:53:42 GMT -6

Post by hanabi on Jan 29, 2011 18:53:42 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Hey, I gave my input, don't bring me up non stop. I gave my two cents. I'm not gonna argue it.

Now, if I kept ranting on and on and on and on about it, they yeah. I'd be a problem. But I've only mentioned what I saw once during the last day or two left of posting.

So Haru, don't come on and get nasty about everyone. In fact the staff should be happy to see their members upset about the decision. If I ran a tight knit RP and had to shut it down for any reason and my members weren't upset about losing it, I'd think I'd done a bad job.

If I wasn't upset about losing this then I probably wouldn't have cared to keep active after the show stopped.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jan 29, 2011 18:53:47 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 29, 2011 18:53:47 GMT -6

but no logic =/= no reason. you can have a reason without it being a good one.

the information we picked out was more from the announcement and not the thread, since the announcement came first.
thus from what we read and saw, the reason for closure was the lack of activity.

UPDATE: also, don't bitch about my bitching, or that's sort of the pot calling the kettle black. Furthermore, although a rose by any other name is still a rose, my posts after the first one [or maybe two] were done in response to posts directed at me.

and I never step down from an argument. call it a vice if you will.

EDIT2: also unrelated, but who is the chick next to the announcements? looks kinda like Azula.
~Tenoko~
Last edit by Deleted: Jan 29, 2011 19:05:11 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jan 29, 2011 19:25:10 GMT -6

ENOUGH. We understand displeasure over this decision. Not to sound like a jerk, but at this point, complaints aren't going to do diddly. This is our decision to make as administrators, and we've made it. Arguing here with us, and with other members, isn't going to change our minds. You want to change our minds? Get everyone on that current member list to log in by the first, and tell us not to close down, and then PROVE THEIR WORDS by being active and posting in character.

Sitting here, arguing that we are active enough to stay open, how horrible and unfair we're being, that does absolutely nothing to change our minds. We tell you we're inactive, and that's the reason we're closing. Rather than sitting here, arguing, for the past two weeks, if you were really upset enough, how about some action, and influencing your fellow members to do the same?

Anyway, let's not beat a dead horse. Thread locked, due to arguing.
quick edit;; yes, that is azula.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jan 29, 2011 19:27:34 GMT -6